Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 316993 times)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
I have been using Cursed Remi, but what's the value of keeping her alive as your nuker in the Alice fight? I far prefer Remi to Youmu for that function.

I'm thinking of grinding up about 20-30k skill points and buying huge resists for everyone. I mean you need the battle count to get Yuugi anyway.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
Cursed Remilia is great for damaging the magical doll and even does decent damage on the shield doll. She can also take some hits.

Youmu is more of a shoot-and-bench fighter for bosses. Get her out for one powerful attack then put her back so she can regen that SP. She tends to be REALLY fragile to magic.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
Okay, catchup time!
That's not it.  I may be wrong and it may not be until F3 they start to show up.  Just know you'll get an item each time.

Yeah, I found the frog on 2F before I got cirno, so I didn't associate them with that event until I got more after >=P.

I'm getting to the point where I'm benching people I like. ARGH. I just got Iku and am not sure who I should dump. I'm thinking youmu. I really don't like how she can only cast pretty  much one spell and that's it, it's not even more powerful than other powerful spells like silent selene or whatever.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Once I get Alice, first to get dumped would be Youmu or Wriggle. Wriggle just has superior stats and resists, her basic attack isn't too far off from Youmu's either.

It's a slow day at work, I got plenty of time to grind and then make Alice my bitch :smug:

Edit: FUCK YEAH! Overleveling solves everything! Now who do I rage at on 6F?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:43:46 PM by Pesco »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
Onibitch, Pesco. First person who legitimately took me down- Well no, Meiling did that first actually.

I've also never seen poison cured, So its apparently a drain through the ENTIRE BATTLE. Given, There are a few other who can poison so.... :V

Also, Rumia has massive uses on floor 15. If you're not using her there, You will completely regret it. Its the worst floor so far, and its a NORMAL EXPLORING GIMMICKLESS level.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »
Found her and gauged my team strength already. Patchy does 5k with Silent Selene. Everyone else will be tanking for the fight.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2009, 04:46:32 PM »
Just started the game, any tips?

And GOD everyone is wimpy in the beginning. Frigging 1hkoed by everything D:
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Chaore

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
Just started the game, any tips?

And GOD everyone is wimpy in the beginning. Frigging 1hkoed by everything D:
Spells. Use them often. If you're using the attack option, its to finish weakened foes -or you're doing it wrong-. The name of the game is to never take damage, so you don't lose more TP than you need to.

Also, You've never got enough levels or skill points, wasting some time to grind is never a bad idea.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »
If an enemy does 0 damage to you, then it's one that Remi can kill barehanded. Other than that, get into the habit of using spells. It doesn't cost you anything really to just pop out for refueling and leveling.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »
Kay, been learning to how to properly use spells/focus/switching fairly well.

Any advice on which I should use the stat boosts for? The boosts you get when you level up, that is. So far I've been using them on Magic on Reimu/Marisa/Patchy and Attack on Sakuya/Remilia. Everyone is lv4 so far, nearly have the entire first floor map explored.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »
I would keep Youmu around, she's one of your best physical powerhouses at this point in the game. You'd be surprised at how much you lack them while magical powerhouses are a-plenty.

As I've noticed, enemies and bosses come in either the "weak to physical" or "weak to magical" group. Some might be more even than others, but one side of the spectrum is going to do more damage.

Alice proves this point. Try taking down the shield doll with physicals or the magical doll with magic.

Generally you'll want to spend level ups and skill points on what the character specializes in, so you're definitely on the right track.

Chaore

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
That changes near end game. I'm actually suprised one character is a pure magic based character.  :V

Also, Reimu's attacks are actually all physical, But like Cirno's, Based on Magic+Attack.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »
Also, Reimu's attacks are actually all physical, But like Cirno's, Based on Magic+Attack.

Crap, need to invest in some Attack for Reimu now.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
Kay, beat Chen (after dying to her 4 times and screaming CHEEEEEEEEEEN) and get Meiling too. I raise Attack on Chen since EVA is broken, right? And I hear Meiling is used as a wall, so should I boost her Def or her HP?

I really don't want to mess any of my characters up >:

Here I come floor two~

Chaore

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »
HP and Def, Some mind as well. Attack is always a viable option too though.  :V

And yeah, Attack mostly for Chen.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
You always want to be thinking about bosses, since they're the ones who'll have you sticking around a floor leveling up.  So often you want to build based on what you're using against the bosses.

Example, Sakuya's attacks aren't that great against bosses but it's useful to be able to give everyone a big speed boost.  So I pump up her speed on level up, and with the skill points I spend on speed and SP, and boost general resilience a bit too.

I think Ran and Reimu may be the same case with their support spells, but I'm not really sure which stat to increase in their case.

I got a question of my own now.  I got Reisen recently, and Discarder looks cool.  Is it still worthwhile to use other characters for stat-downs for whatever reason, or is she basically the best I've got now?

Chaore

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
You always want to be thinking about bosses, since they're the ones who'll have you sticking around a floor leveling up.  So often you want to build based on what you're using against the bosses.

Example, Sakuya's attacks aren't that great against bosses but it's useful to be able to give everyone a big speed boost.  So I pump up her speed on level up, and with the skill points I spend on speed and SP, and boost general resilience a bit too.

I think Ran and Reimu may be the same case with their support spells, but I'm not really sure which stat to increase in their case.

I got a question of my own now.  I got Reisen recently, and Discarder looks cool.  Is it still worthwhile to use other characters for stat-downs for whatever reason, or is she basically the best I've got now?
MOST Stat-down characters have power based on them too, The stat-downs typically are just a nice add-on. Alice's dolls for example, (I mean I didn't even notice legion had a Def down.). As for your only other Stat-down heavy type... :V Well, Shes got Par/Psn chances along with that mass stat-down, along with a metric SHIT TON of HP. Shes worth keeping, Even with Reisen on board.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »
Ah, that must be why Alice didn't work out too well for me.  I was looking for a pure stat-down character for quite a bit of the game and I ended up trying to build up Alice as one.  Well, maybe I'll consider Alice if I decide to have another run-through for some reason (As if this game doesn't take long enough to pull through!)

Chaore

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
Ah, that must be why Alice didn't work out too well for me.  I was looking for a pure stat-down character for quite a bit of the game and I ended up trying to build up Alice as one.  Well, maybe I'll consider Alice if I decide to have another run-through for some reason (As if this game doesn't take long enough to pull through!)
...-what-. I'm amazed you managed to screw up ALICE enough. Shes absolutely awesome, How did you even -manage- to ruin her?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2009, 10:45:59 PM »
Alice's spells say they're physical but use MAG, so pumping MAG is the logical thing to do isn't it?

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »
Chaore: The level-up stat I poured into was Mind, thinking a stat-down character would want to stay out as long as possible.  Though now I realize her stats are probably more well-rounded than that and she doesn't depend on it as much as other mages.

I was surprised to hear that people were getting use out of Rumia as well, since originally her stats put me off.  Kinda wish there was a way to check the power of individual attacks.  I guess quite a few characters are actually viable and it largely depends on who you're pouring your points into... I've been focusing heavily on Marisa and Patch this run for their obscene damage lead over everyone else.

Pesco: Some act like physical, some act like magical as far as the enemies' defenses go.  But yeah, I think they all use the MAG stat.

Chaore

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »
Yep, All her attacks are pure MAGEEC, But legion acts as a physical and makes her hella useful.

Rumia is incredibly useful for floor 15, Because Dark side is essentially a low-power multi-Silent Selene. Which helps with a certain enemy type. Outside... Well, Shes got a good amount of power and a heal.  :V

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »
Heh, this game is quite fun.  I've only just reached the 2F so far with everyone at lv6-7.

I've already managed to Game Over twice...both because I was running around the 1F recklessly, causing me to run into the Chen boss fight unprepared and get owned hardcore as a result.

Should try to actually boost Sakuya's Speed and SP from now on.  Kinda been boosting her Attack so I have a decent physical fighter to backup Remi in a fight.  Otherwise I think I'm doing fine so far.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
The natural speed and SP growth of your fighters are fine as is in the beginning.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »
All of Reimu's attacks are physical? Really? So far I've noticed that fantasy seal seems to own heavy armored foes just fine (such as the turtles on floor 2 or 3 or whatever they were in when that floor was the furthest I've gone. Hard to say with bosses because Fantasy seal isn't exactly a good spell to use on bosses >=P, plus I'm more concerned with saving sp for the defense boost or heal anyway.

Generally when you get a character, the stat that affects their spell damage (attack or magic) is often made apparent to you just by looking at whichever one the character has more of at level 1. For example I just got Iku, and she had like 30 attack and 60 magic. So pumping magic will be more beneficial. Aya has higher attack, etc.

Sometimes the character has a fairly even amount of both. In this case, I rekon the majority of their spells use both (such as for reimu). I'm not sure but I suspect that stacking magic over attack generally seems to be the better idea for these characters since I'd rekon that they probably have ONE spell that might be pure magic (these characters often have buffs or heals, I'm gambling that China's heal is based purely on magic for example, and not both magic and attack. And if I'm wrong.. well, 200+ 0 = 100+100 anyway, so no biggie).

As for the person just starting. It starts out slightly more difficult when you only have 5 party members. Because it's difficult to maintain sp between battles since you can't really switch too many people out. I find that as you get a large party, you can just use 1 person to OHKO most of the enemy groups alone (pretty much any of patchy's spells, royal flare if in doubt, Fantasy seal, asteroid belt, soul sculpture, etc) with their biggest multitarget nuke while the other people focus. Swap that person out for another with a big multi target nuke afterwards, and repeat.

By the time big multitarget nukes don't 1shot everything, you're at the point where your party size is maxxed out so you can afford to bench 2 people at a time. Just make sure you don't use up all your sp on your ideal boss-killing team before a boss >=P.

Chaore

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 01:31:05 AM »
I kid you not, and Fantasy sign is generally [HAX SIGN] anyway. It really becomes apparent at the 15th floor, when it completely fails on a certain type of enemy which I -really- hate-.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 03:47:27 AM »
I need help! @_@
Floor 7F

How do I reach the next floor (More specifically which warp out of the gazillion leads me to the unexplored portion circled here?) I tried all the left side warps but to no avail) Stuck...

Here you go... You probably figured it out by now but maybe this will help other people too. I JUUUST figured it out >=p.

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, 05:23:09 AM »
Wow. A certain boss or 3 on floor 12 is destroying me hard. Time to level!

Chaore

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:22 AM »
They do that. Pretty damn badly. Just keep on persisting, You'll beat 'em eventually.  :V

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, 05:52:40 AM »
Wow. A certain boss or 3 on floor 12 is destroying me hard. Time to level!

Paralyze almost always works on Reisen, and sometimes does so on the others.  You can use stat-downs, but I just recommend speed down on Kaguya and Eirin since more than that will cause Kaguya to spam stat-ups.

Try to wear down Kaguya and Eirin evenly (around 120000 and 240000 HP respectively) and beat them around the same time.  The reason being that Kaguya can pull off extremely brutal attacks after you off Eirin, and vice-versa.  Good luck!