Author Topic: Touhou RAGE Thread  (Read 195167 times)

Re: Touhou RAGE Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »
Just watched a few videos, and yeah, it looks like Scarlet Gensokyo is unaffected by rank. Guess that means the solid walls of shit just comes down to being unlucky... damn you EoSD >_>

Again, I once got the timer down to 86 seconds. Not much, but I'm sure if VoWG lunatic is possible Scarlet Gensokyo is.

Heh, I guess I'm overestimating the difficulty of Scarlet Gensokyo by a bit :P

As delicious of a challenge as this sounds, I really wish that someone could patch EoSD to include the ability of saving replays in practice mode.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »
Komachi Extra PoFV.  Last stage.  Game Over at 59 seconds in the second match, 0:83 from getting Shot Chance.

EDIT: Now with replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3098
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:15:25 AM by Sol »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »
IMPERISHABLE SHOOTING

THAT IS ALL

Adun

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
Capturing Lunatic Scarlet Gensokyo would take a lot of luck for us, but watching high scoring Japanese replays of EoSD Lunatic, they don't seem to get walled in and creamed at all. Unless they really know what they're doing in watching those hundred of red orbs fly around, avoiding walls as necessary. But I have no clue how they read it in that shitstorm. Too much spam.

And I only want a capture. Not a time out or any stunt like that.  :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:36:01 AM by Adun »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »
Last night, I listed off the remaining spell cards I've left to capture in EoSD (all Patchy cards). When Kefit noted that I've captured Sylphae Horn High Level and Emerald Megalith, but not Green Storm and Trilithon Shake (although I may possibly have captured that, EoSD's stupid history system makes it ambiguous), I tried Reimu B stage 4 four times. In none of those times did I capture Bury in Lake or Green Storm.

Why oh why did these two have to be with Reimu B? I really hate Reimu B's movements and damage.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »
Decided to try the PC-98 games and started with SoEW. I set it on 5 lives (default?), 3 bombs, and Normal difficulty (not on purpose, I hadn't seen where the option was).

So the game starts, a few ghosts appear that don't even shoot at me, etc.

I die stupidly in a few places (damn eyes appearing on the sides) and eventually get to Marisa. At some points she gets those weird orbs out and start spinning them around, and they reach the bottom of the screen. And those things shoot. From like an inch in front of me. Awesome. I bomb and die a crapload of times, including once when I went up and got hit by the orbs as they come back. Also,  >:( at those stars spinning around. Then I use a continue, she kills me once or twice, and then I just screw around to get the bad end.

So yeah, Marisa is annoying and is made of bullshit, at least compared to what I'm used to. She must have been pissed at me for laughing at her hair or something.

And lol fat Reimu on the title screen.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT

Please, somebody, tell me there is a way to do Apollo 13 - besides the safespot, which I cannot hit - that isn't trying to dodge the bullet spam.  That attack has NO BUSINESS AT ALL on Hard doing what it's doing to me.  Walls!  Bullets hidden behind other bullets!  More walls!  I must have just failed the card close to a hundred times!  I am going insane!  HELP!  HELP GODDAMNIT!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CARD?!  WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT

Please, somebody, tell me there is a way to do Apollo 13 - besides the safespot, which I cannot hit - that isn't trying to dodge the bullet spam.  That attack has NO BUSINESS AT ALL on Hard doing what it's doing to me.  Walls!  Bullets hidden behind other bullets!  More walls!  I must have just failed the card close to a hundred times!  I am going insane!  HELP!  HELP GODDAMNIT!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CARD?!  WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!
As far as I know, the safespot ceases to exist (or is infinitesimally small) on Hard/Lunatic.

(I do believe there are pseudo-safespots which can be used, but they change far too often; Eirin moves horizontally and vertically)

Its just a matter of reading the set pattern of bullets I'm afraid. I'll see if I can do it again.

EDIT: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3121

Right now however... MoF Sanae at Hard Mode > EoSD Sakuya at Lunatic?

Most of the attacks are just plain stupid. Don't know if I should misdirect the patterns though. Further investigation will find out. I'm going to get some caffeine to calm myself now. (Yes, I know.)

Note to others: DON'T misdirect the pattern. It makes things worse.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:38:21 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »
Quote from: bjw
Feel free to prove me wrong if anyone's up to the task.

*stares at Kefit*

While I appreciate the compliment, I won't be proving you wrong any time soon. Timing out Scarlet Gensokyo is a considerably more difficult task than timing out, say, VoWG. I'm not even willing to dabble with the idea unless I can access the card in something like spell practice.

VoWG has a fairly consistent difficulty. Luck doesn't affect the card very much; instead, success is dependant upon understanding how the complex but only mildly variable pattern works so that you can read it at the right times to anticipate where the gaps will be. Timing out VoWG is an exercise in properly reacting to this pattern for about two and a half minutes without a mistake. It's a test of endurance, really.

The difficulty of Scarlet Gensokyo over time varies considerably based upon luck related factors, such as how Remi moves around the screen, how the light bubble waves randomly curve, and how the small bullets decide to fly around after they spawn. There is no complex pattern to learn here, In fact, Scarlet Gensokyo is a very simple pattern that breaks into random unpatterned bullet fields of doom. This means you can't find success on the card by merely familiarizing yourself with how to read and dodge any sort of repeating bullet pattern. Timing out Scarlet Gensokyo is a test of nearly complete on the fly dodging due to all the random factors mentioned above, combined with a luck requirement to avoid BS walls for two and a half minutes. It requires danmaku skill in the purest sense at a very high level combined with the tenacity to try over and over again until you exhibit this skill at the same time as you experience unearthly luck.

All that being said, Scarlet Gensokyo is a lot of fun. A lot of bullshit too sometimes, but impossible wall bullshit on the card is fairly uncommon over the course of an ordinary capture. It's one of the few individual attacks in the series that still gives me a really good challenge without being over really quickly (see: Patchy cards).

Anyway, today's rage will be directed at dying about a second before getting a perfect EoSD Lunatic stage five run. Just as well, I suppose, since single stage replays don't save.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:58:29 AM by Kefit »

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
As delicious of a challenge as this sounds, I really wish that someone could patch EoSD to include the ability of saving replays in practice mode.
I've actually looked into this a little while ago. It's actually in the realm of possibility. However, it's also extremely difficult and will require rewriting a huge mass of asm and possibly rebuilding an import table and at this stage (barring one of you guys sending me a free year's supply of coffee, hint hint :P) I just don't care enough to expend the fairly large amount of effort to pull this off.

In any order, today's rage is directed at Yamato Torus. How I have such an abysmal capture rate on that thing (way worse than VoWG) is beyond me.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
More anger and hatred towards Sanae!

This time, the very first boss attack pattern (not midboss). I keep getting walled. The best prevention is to stay very close to Sanae, I know that... but I still get walled about 30% of the time. Guess I'll start watching Stage 5 replays for a while  =x

Those spell cards are also still giving me no mercy.
<>

theshirn

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
So another FIFTY-SIX tries later, bringing my total up to around two hundred, I capture Apollo 13.  I then promptly capture Eirin's last word on my second try.

Freakin' stupid card.  That is all.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
So another FIFTY-SIX tries later, bringing my total up to around two hundred, I capture Apollo 13.  I then promptly capture Eirin's last word on my second try.

Freakin' stupid card.  That is all.
You're not the only one who had trouble with Apollo 13 and not the Last Word (for me, a bit over 170 for the former, just once for the latter).  The safespot does exist, but you need to be really precise if you want to go there.  I've noticed that the bullet pattern doesn't really change, if at all, so if you can find a way through the first wave, you could most likely do the same thing for subsequent waves, adjusted for Eirin's new position.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
Speaking of patterns, is there much of a pattern regarding Yuugi's mid-boss spellcard? No matter how many times I face it, it ALWAYS boils down to "BOMBS AWAY!!!!" on Normal (I don't even wanna see it on Hard and Lunatic...)
rofl bye

Drake

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
So I'm uploading Scarlet Gensokyo timeout on Youtube because it seems that nobody else in the entire western fandom has done it yet.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
Speaking of patterns, is there much of a pattern regarding Yuugi's mid-boss spellcard? No matter how many times I face it, it ALWAYS boils down to "BOMBS AWAY!!!!" on Normal (I don't even wanna see it on Hard and Lunatic...)

Heh, not only is there a pattern, it's exactly the same every single time, down to the very last bullet.  Just like Youmu's st.6 midboss card, it looks random, but is in fact completely static.  So if you capture it once, you can just watch a replay of yourself doing it, memorize the path, and use it every time you face it.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
There's actually a trick I do to make Yugi's midboss card easier (although I did not know that it was static): If you are in the way of the spirals of bullets as they are forming, a large section will not spawn around you. If you time it right, you can do this twice, cutting down the amount of bullets you have to deal with.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
Heh, not only is there a pattern, it's exactly the same every single time, down to the very last bullet.  Just like Youmu's st.6 midboss card, it looks random, but is in fact completely static.  So if you capture it once, you can just watch a replay of yourself doing it, memorize the path, and use it every time you face it.

Yeah, I've seen that the bullets' directions are all preset but  I never seem to find any gaps when they start coming down on me u.u

There's actually a trick I do to make Yugi's midboss card easier (although I did not know that it was static): If you are in the way of the spirals of bullets as they are forming, a large section will not spawn around you. If you time it right, you can do this twice, cutting down the amount of bullets you have to deal with.

I've noticed that and it's usually what I try to do. Except I'm a noob and then I fail :P

rofl bye

CP3

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »
Orin and SA in general have completely crushed any belief I had of being half decent, for being able to 1cc all (the other) normals. To me, never having made it to stage 6 in normal is an embarrassment.

But like two weeks ago I stopped trying and I'm working on EoSD Hard now, I'll get back to SA when I clear all the other Hards. I swear it.

I love the soundtrack. I love the characters. I love the design. But damn, SA kicks my ass.

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »
I haven't touched SA stage three since August or September, but iirc Yugi's midboss card is a static pattern with respect to wherever Yugi is whenever she begins a new wave. Yugi's movement on the card is directly influenced by the player's position when she decides to move (she moves after deploying each wave).

The easiest way to capture the card is to place yourself at the bottom of the screen, just to the right of the middle of the Enemy indicator. After deploying her first wave, Yugi will move to the right, above and just past your horizontal position on the screen. Just blast away and the card will end before you even have to worry about dodging the second wave. In other words, if you do this then you only have to memorize how to dodge the first wave.

Drake

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
Orin and SA in general have completely crushed any belief I had of being half decent, for being able to 1cc all (the other) normals. To me, never having made it to stage 6 in normal is an embarrassment.

But like two weeks ago I stopped trying and I'm working on EoSD Hard now, I'll get back to SA when I clear all the other Hards. I swear it.

I love the soundtrack. I love the characters. I love the design. But damn, SA kicks my ass.
I have 50 hours clocked in and over 1100 retries on SA alone. How's that.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
EoSD Lunatic

Bombs used: 24
Continues: 1

FUCK.
Advocate of Transhumanism

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:20 AM »
Why must the Extra stage be done with Komachi?! I HATE how she activates spirits.
If I stay focused, I'll get hit by one flying from above the screen, and if I unfocus, as soon as I press shift they'll all activate, and I can either let them shoot a bunch of red balls, or send them to the opponent so they can kill them and spam 2000 bullets on my screen.

I lost three lives to Shikieiki, at least twice. Maybe I should completely stop shooting until some time has passed? Maybe THEY would reach 100000 points when I have 95000, so I could cancel those damn bosses.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

theshirn

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »
Have I mentioned recently how much I loathe, abhor, and ABSOLUTELY GODDAMN HATE PERFECT CHERRY BLOSSOM?!

I just died, with my finger pushing the bomb button, THREE TIMES IN A ROW at the end of Stage 4, trying to finally 1cc Hard.  Oh, and Chen and Alice both killed me once as I was bombing.

WHY DOES YOUR DEATHBOMB TIME SUCK SO MUCH WHY GODDAMNIT WHY

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
Have I mentioned recently how much I loathe, abhor, and ABSOLUTELY GODDAMN HATE PERFECT CHERRY BLOSSOM?!

I just died, with my finger pushing the bomb button, THREE TIMES IN A ROW at the end of Stage 4, trying to finally 1cc Hard.  Oh, and Chen and Alice both killed me once as I was bombing.

EoSD is worse. Also, what's your Hard 1cc count now, theshim? Can't remember.

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »

Go Play Shuusou GyokuYeah, I can relate.  For some reason I'm much better at deathbombing with faster patterns than slow ones, and PCB has a hella lotta slow bullets.  In EoSD I can deathbomb most cards fairly competently, but in PCB I always have to plan out when I'm going to get hit and prebomb, or else I die constantly. It's really annoying... :(

CP3

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 02:40:13 AM »

Well deathbombing with Reimu in PCB is pretty easy. But ReimuA is really weak, and I'm not a fan of ReimuB.

I agree Chen sucks though. One hell of an stage 2 boss...

I have 50 hours clocked in and over 1100 retries on SA alone. How's that.

I'm sure I'll be looking at those kind of numbers. Orin and Okuu are nasty.

Easy Mode

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »
I can't even beat LLS on easy,
Why is it so hard? :c

theshirn

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 02:45:10 AM »
I've still only 1cc'd EoSD and MoF on Hard.  Crap like THAT keeps happening.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 03:24:40 AM »
THAT SCYTHE.

Not once, twice, or thrice. Four times!

EDIT: now those balls. Worse than IN's, easily. No hiding balls for you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:09:48 AM by BaitySM »
<>