Author Topic: Touhou RAGE Thread  (Read 195242 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Touhou RAGE Thread
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:56 AM »
And now the trinity of Touhou gameplay topics have returned.

Sometimes, bad stuff happens in Touhou that isn't embarrassing, but nonetheless fills you with RAGE. That's what this thread is for. Rage away.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: Touhou RAGE Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:18:54 AM »
...First RAGE moment?

Sakuya in EoSD at max rank. There has to be a consistent way of not getting walled by those bullets (not during midboss). Everything else is trivial.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »
MoF in general without Marisa B.  I play and I play and I keep going a little farther but then I die 3 times on the first stage!

This game taunts me, and I shall rage at it until I beat it.

Contempt

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:07 AM »
Subterranean Animism is the only game where I could not 1cc normal on my first play through!

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
I need one more level in MariAri, but the three I have left are rage-worthy (8-2, 8-4, and 8-7)

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
For some reason whenever I manage to reach the Prismrivers on normal, my bomb button magically stops registering inputs.  I need to predict when I'm going to die at least two seconds in advance and mash the button until it works and even then sometimes it doesn't.  Nevermind deathbombing which is pretty much impossible for anyone except Reimu.  I have to expend carefully built up lives to get through Fazioli's Dark Performance, among other things, and by the time I get to Youmu my resources are just utterly spent.

God, I hate PCB.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Cassie

• By Seventh Holy Scripture
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »
I hate PCB too.... Yuyuko can just take away ALL of my continues
Cassie "You know.... I think you lost it. We're here ten times"
Lily "Have you counted the time we've been here for the first time?"
Cassie "I did! Ok?"

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
Oh, I dunno...the first time I cleared...or I should say almost cleared SA Normal comes to mind.  Yes, I game overed AS THE DAMN SCREEN WAS CLEARING.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:24:28 PM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

KumaKinko

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
Just because I feel it should be mentioned again, Alice in space land.
Everything about it. forever.

Yukkuri

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
Clipdeaths and whenever I run into a fairy

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
What makes me rage is the fact that I could 1cc EoSD lunatic in just a few tries if it wasn't for a combination of stage 3 bullshit (where Meiling moves pretty much dictates whether I live or die - on at least 4 of her attacks... not that I hate the stage, it's actually one of my favourites) and stage 1/2 fuck ups causing me to restart over and over until I get so damn angry that I can no longer beat Rumia.
Advocate of Transhumanism

nintendonut888

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »
The hardest part of 1ccing lunatic is the first 2 stages quite honestly.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
The hardest part of 1ccing lunatic is the first 2 stages quite honestly.
Because you don't want to die that early on, and RAGEQUIT if anything out of the ordinary happens?
If so, I know the feeling too well.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
So I got to thinking "Y'know, I haven't played in a while" and decided to try a nice, relaxing run of IN Hard (Youmu solo).  Keine hits me once or twice because I never bothered to micromemorize her last card, but Marisa completely destroys me.

After quitting at the end of the stage, I decided to go practice her spell cards, and the results...

Asteroid Belt:  1/1 (!)
Event Horizon:  1/1
Starlight Typhoon:  1/2
Double Spark:  1/3
Shoot the Moon:  1/1
Final Spark:  1/3

I wtf'd.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
PCB annoys me a lot, Yuyuko literally wiped me out in lunatic =_='
I raged...and she obliterated all my continues

Also stage 3 and 4 I hate those stages, stage 4 is just so loooonnnggggg
And those enemies are so annoying

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »
PCB annoys me a lot, Yuyuko literally wiped me out in lunatic =_='
I raged...and she obliterated all my continues

Also stage 3 and 4 I hate those stages, stage 4 is just so loooonnnggggg
And those enemies are so annoying

Stage 4 is a pain, but once you have a certain method down, it becomes quite easy (excepting the bosses). Everything is either static or aimed, so it's possible to 'engineer' something that works every time.
Also, you can bomb the deathfairy at the end 'cos it gives a bomb when it dies, and since it runs away so quickly, you're unlikely to kill it unless you can dominate it. Unless you play Sakuya A.
Advocate of Transhumanism

nintendonut888

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 12:00:04 AM »
Because you don't want to die that early on, and RAGEQUIT if anything out of the ordinary happens?
If so, I know the feeling too well.

I more meant the fact that you have to go through this five~ minutes of not entirely trivial junk just to get another shot at the real parts that you're having trouble with. It was especially horrible on SA, where neither stage was completely trivial and especially since Yamame has that BS opener.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »
Son of a bitch, why do I keep dying to the FIRST FREAKING WAVE of Scarlet Gensokyo/VoWG everytime I face them?  There is no feeling more rage-inducing than grinding all the way to the end of a stage and getting to the one card you want to capture, just to fail it right away.

theshirn

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »
Son of a bitch, why do I keep dying to the FIRST FREAKING WAVE of Scarlet Gensokyo/VoWG everytime I face them?  There is no feeling more rage-inducing than grinding all the way to the end of a stage and getting to the one card you want to capture, just to fail it right away.
Whuh?  I keep dying when they've got around 20% or less of their health left.  At least I've captured each of them once.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 12:50:51 AM »
Whuh?  I keep dying when they've got around 20% or less of their health left.  At least I've captured each of them once.

Well, With Gensokyo, the card is at the same difficulty level for the majority of the attack, so with that my dying to the first wave can be excusable.  With VoWG, however, the attack doesn't really get serious until about halfway through, which makes dying at the beginning even more embarassing... 

I was talking about the lunatic versions, btw.

theshirn

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
I assumed so.  I can survive the beginning of VoWG Lunatic, but when it gets serious it requires you to pretty much dodge through the actual lines of cards, and I can never react fast enough.

And Scarlet Gensokyo Lunatic is just an absolute S***storm.

nintendonut888

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 01:58:46 AM »
I actually became extremely fond of Scarlet Gensokyo during my insane 180+ attempts at Scarlet Meister (still o_o at Azinth capturing it randomly). Even though it wasted more than a minute, I almost never rage quitted after failing Scarlet Meister because Scarlet Gensokyo was so fun. I ended up capturing it about 6 times out of all those attempts.

Sadly, since then I lost the ability to do that...or Eternal Meek (especially Eternal Meek oh my god that spell card is hard)...or end up capturing Vampire Illusion by standing still for a long time (I did it to suicide and give me max power for Scarlet Meister)...or the ability to perfect the whole Remilia fight until Scarlet Meister on an occasional basis (I really miss that one :()

Adun

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 02:41:19 AM »
Sadly, since then I lost the ability to do that...or Eternal Meek (especially Eternal Meek oh my god that spell card is hard)...or end up capturing Vampire Illusion by standing still for a long time (I did it to suicide and give me max power for Scarlet Meister)...or the ability to perfect the whole Remilia fight until Scarlet Meister on an occasional basis (I really miss that one :()

Eternal Meek is actually really easy if you can get to this general safe spot in time and accurately. But be careful, as it's very small. Might take some practice. It works on any difficulty and I've seen almost every high scoring Japanese run pull it off.

Just position yourself near the center of the inevitable chaos but not inside Sakuya's hitbox (obviously) and you should score graze on just about every bullet. Time it out and kill Sakuya at 00~01 seconds remaining for at least 1000 extra Graze without having to move an inch.  ;D Personally, I've only pulled it off a couple times but it works.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »
I actually became extremely fond of Scarlet Gensokyo during my insane 180+ attempts at Scarlet Meister (still o_o at Azinth capturing it randomly). Even though it wasted more than a minute, I almost never rage quitted after failing Scarlet Meister because Scarlet Gensokyo was so fun. I ended up capturing it about 6 times out of all those attempts.

Heh, tbh, I still think that Meister capture was a fluke. :-X  It'll probably be six months before I actually manage to replicate it.  As for Eternal Meek, it's not that bad, I've captured it like 6-8 times over the course of my Gensokyo grinding.  Vampire Illusion can go die though.  An attack where the boss traps you in the middle of the screen and flies off to the far side where you can't even damage her, then drops solid walls of bullets on your face?  What a great spellcard idea, ZUN.  It's like Kagome Kagome, but ten times worse.

Just position yourself near the center of the inevitable chaos but not inside Sakuya's hitbox (obviously) and you should score graze on just about every bullet. Time it out and kill Sakuya at 00~01 seconds remaining for at least 1000 extra Graze without having to move an inch.  ;D Personally, I've only pulled it off a couple times but it works.

??? But Eternal Meek is so fun!.  Why would you ruin it with a safespot?  Oh you silly kids and your graze-whoring. 8) 

nintendonut888

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:55 AM »
All the cool kids scoff at safespots. That, and I've never pulled that off.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
All the cool kids scoff at safespots.

Damn right. Safespots are for wussies. Rush head-first in to the storm, always.

theshirn

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »
Hey, I hit a safespot once.

Once.

And it was the fourth wave of Danmaku Bounded Field.  And it was my first try.

AND IT WAS PURE LUCK

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 04:19:34 AM »
Does Icicle Fall -Easy- count??

nintendonut888

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 04:19:45 AM »
Safespots are only good if they look good. I always use that safespot because frankly I never learned how you're supposed to actually do that wave.   :P Plus it's more suspenseful, especially with Marisa's hitbox.

Adun

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 05:07:22 AM »
Oh you silly kids and your graze-whoring. 8)

Delicious graze-whoring. It makes you look pro to newbs when you actually aren't.  ;D

Rush head-first in to the storm, always.

I'll start screaming this before every difficult spell card once I learn how to dodge effectively. \o/