Author Topic: Daily Touhou Best Topic MK II  (Read 118927 times)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: Daily Touhou Best Topic MK II
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
PC-98 is where it's at.
This.

Since I'm heading off to America very soon (I'll probably make a separate thread for this when I get there), I'm going to put up the question much earlier than usual. It's either that, or trying to connect to the internet 2-3 hours into my flight. And I'm pretty sure we all know how effective that is.

What is your favorite Final Boss Attack?
Note that I said "Attack". This is to cater for the PC-98 games as well. For the Windows games, the question being asked is something along the lines of "What is your favorite Final Spell Card?"

Going to quickly shove my answer out; believe it (hurr) or not my favorite is actually Mima's Final Attack from SoEW. Cheap bullets or not, it's a really fun attack.

Spoiler:
I'm so sorry about that; I actually got hooked onto Dwarf Fortress recently, so yeah
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »
There's cheap, and then there is stupid. >_>

Anyway, Yuka's would win for sheer "WTF" factor, but I'll have to go with Scarlet Gensokyo. VoWG is great too, but Scarlet Gensokyo's pure dodging is too much to pass up.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bananamatic

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
Astronomical Entombing, no destroying familiars.
Pure dodging, no walls.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2009, 10:10:35 PM »
VoWG

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Resurrection Butterfly. Seriously, how is there any other answer? It's a survival card with its own, separate, amazing theme. How can there be anything more awesome than that? Especially since surviving it means you'll get to hear Sakura, Sakura~

.... <_< >_> *shot*

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Hm. VoWG has that feel of a truly final spellcard like no other card in the series. I'll go with that. Plus it's pretty fun to play against. Honorable mention to Scarlet Gensokyo; no luck, pure skill.

Flying Fantastica is really damn pretty though :V
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:33:04 AM by Serafie »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
Resurrection Butterfly

Runner up goes to Hell's Artificial Sun, but it's just a bit boring on easy but I'm too terrible to clear for anything harder than that  :'(

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
For epicness factor, Resurrection Butterfly wins.  For dodging factor, VoWG wins with Gensokyo very close behind.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »
Mima's last phase. It's quite, well, exciting for me.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »
VoWG with whatever percentage reflowering coming in close 2nd

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »
I'm gonna be unoriginal and go with VoWG. Nothing else in Touhou gives me quite the same rush as successfully micrododging through the walls unfocused... very, very risky, but without any luck involved at the same time. :V
Let's fight.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »
Mima Bodyslam

VoWG. It is just too awesome.

HMs go to LFO for being almost as awesome and to Ressurection Butterfly/Hourai Elixir for having their very own themes which match the cards perfectly, even though only the last third of HE is actually interesting danmaku-wise.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »
"End of Imperishable Night -Rising World-"

HM to "Resurection Butterfly" and VoWG.

ebarrett

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
Resurrection Butterfly.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »
Honorable mention to Scarlet Gensokyo; no luck, pure skill.

On the contrary, I believe Scarlet Gensokyo is the most luck-based final card in the series for two reasons:

Remi's random movement (meaning she can randomly decide to fly all the way to the left when you're all the way to the right and dodge your shots, where Resurrection Butterfly is a timeout and Astronomical Entombing/Hourai Jewel/VoWG/Subterranean Sun/LFO all involve stationary bosses).

and this:

The above image is taken from GIL's legendary run of EoSD, with all spell cards captured except for Scarlet Gensokyo.  Look inside the yellow box and tell me with a straight face that that wasn't shit luck conspiring against GIL to stop him from capturing every spell card in the game.

In any case, my vote goes to LFO (or LFS, or whatever the hell it's actually called).  VoWG is my favorite in terms of raw fun, but LFO wins out with creativity.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Bananamatic

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2009, 02:03:45 AM »
Scarlet Gensokyo
For some reason, I've almost captured it on my second attempt ever - but I was pretty much denied a capture thanks to a BS wall.

Then the next attempt(on Hard this time), I took the timer all the way down to 33 before beating her. ReimuB, full power, focused.

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2009, 02:11:35 AM »
If we leave out Extra final attacks, Scarlet Gensokyo is probably the only final pattern in the Windows Series that has any luck-factor to it at all.  Of course, it's fun enough that I can sort of forgive it. :V

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2009, 02:14:56 AM »
Look inside the yellow box and tell me with a straight face that that wasn't shit luck conspiring against GIL to stop him from capturing every spell card in the game.

It wasn't shit luck. Look closer, and you'll see an opening right above him. It's amusing that everyone takes GIL's run as a testament that Scarlet Gensokyo is BS. Look closer at the video. GIL wasn't walled at all; he moved too far to the left and clipdeathed. There was an entirely usable opening, and I can say that I've gotten through smaller on Vampire Illusion.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2009, 02:51:30 AM »
I should probably clarify: it's not an entirely bs wall, but it's still a very significantly more dense wave than what SG will throw on average.  A wave of this density isn't as much of a problem for the other final cards, because they all follow some very readable pattern that, if understood well enough, will result in you pulling out some muscle-memorized motion to get you through that dense wall.  SG doesn't follow such a readable pattern, and so if something like this comes up, you have to decide how to dodge it on the fly.  You have a small moment to find that random hole in that random wave and fit yourself through it.

Maybe the wave I pulled from GIL's run isn't the best example out there to say that SG can be luck-garbage at times, but let me put it this way.  If I took random screenshots of SG, I might get something like that, I might get something nicer, or I might get something that is pure unarguable batshit.  If I took random screenshots of any other final card, they would tend to look about the same (provided you don't try comparing screenshots of, say, LFO when it starts versus when it ends, or Hourai Jewel with someone using clean streaming versus someone who's flying around like Aya on speed).

Also, don't think that I'm using this to say that SG is a bs card and that I hate it like someone who beat my dog to death.  It's a legitimate final test of your skill to see if you're worthy of clearing EoSD, and I have nothing against it.  But to say that absolutely zero luck factor is involved is what I'm debating against.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:57:11 AM by Krim »
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2009, 02:58:06 AM »

Bad images gotten from the Youtube vid. First is at death, second is after death. I should just fire up EoSD, but whatever.

4:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9hoRdLabk

So I'm pretty sure GIL clipped something by accident, but that's a pretty shit wall.

Oh, and Marisa is on the left side of the images btw.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 03:08:56 AM by SMD-31-FX »

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2009, 03:16:26 AM »
On the contrary, I believe Scarlet Gensokyo is the most luck-based final card in the series for two reasons
[wordswordswords]
Well, damn, I've never had that problem. I've always thought SG was one of the most fun cards in the series. 'course, I can only play on Hard, haven't gotten up to Lunatic yet, so I can't speak for Lunatic SG, but the Hard version's always just been really fun for me.

Scarlet Meister, though...

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »
VoWG because

I love VoWG

*has a love and hate relationship* :V
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 03:21:31 AM »
Scarlet Gensokyo Hard is easier then Red Magic.

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 04:04:16 AM »
Tough one. Has to be either "End of Imperishable Night: Dawn", "Hell's Artificial Sun", or "Resurrection Butterfly".

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2009, 06:02:55 AM »
Scarlet Gensokyo Hard is easier then Red Magic.
Quoted for truth

And I'll have to go with Yuka's final phase. If only there wasn't a bullet limit making gaps three times as big as they should be and STILL being incredibly small
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:02 AM »
Remilia's final attack has always seemed incredibly cruel to me. It's as if she's saying "Screw you Reimu, take this shitty wall of doom!"

Yeah, going with Red Magic/Scarlet Gensokyo.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
VoWG for fun. Resurrection Butterfly/Hourai Elixir for atmosphere.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »
VoWG & Hourai Elixir
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Gpop

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
Like all "favourite SC/attack" questions, my answer will always be "whatever I can dodge".

nintendonut888

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
Quoted for truth

And I'll have to go with Yuka's final phase. If only there wasn't a bullet limit making gaps three times as big as they should be and STILL being incredibly small

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRM0FSR20t4

You think those are three times as big as they should be? o_O