Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)  (Read 200739 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
If this looks familiar, it's because it's ripped off from Poosh. :V

In this thread, ask for the sources of doujinshi pages, artist sites and pixiv pages, original versions of edited images, meanings of internet memes, and anything else you can think of. Questions like "HOW DO I BEAT THIS SPELLCARD?” or "WHAT IS THIS VIDEO PARODYING?" and such are all more than welcome here (better yet, in their respective specialized threads). We do artist sourcing, music identifying, you name it. Even if it doesn't have to do directly with Touhou, please ASK HERE rather than creating an entirely new thread for it.

Useful Links: PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE ASKING
http://www.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Category:Characters - For questions about a Touhou character such as “Why is Reimu always flashing her armpits?”
http://iqdb.org/ or http://iqdb.hanyuu.net/ - Image search sites. Use these to find cleaner or higher resolution versions of certain images, or the artist of a certain picture.
Bug Report Thread - Ask here if the forums are acting strange for you.
Danmakufu Guide - Links to the wonderful folks over at Rika's Garage, who will be more than glad to help you out. (And chances are that if you've come here for Danmakufu help, you've already found your way there anyway.)

If those sites fail to give what you are looking for, then please post your query here. If you as a question at one point and it doesn't get answered in a significant span of time, please don't hesitate to ask again. We may not have been able to answer the question at that time, but our knowledge has likely changed since then. If you feel that your question is being ignored, rest assured that it is not; we simply do not have an answer for you.

Also, no question is too stupid to ask. Here, we will answer you truthfully and without trolling. These boards have active moderators, and people who lie in their answers will be dealt with.

The same rules apply here as they do to the board at large, of course: No links to game downloads, no warez, etc etc. You know the drill.

Much thanks and love to everyone who helps out with answering questions. Feel free to suggest stuff that I can do to improve this header.

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:28:51 AM »
What is the etymology of "Remilia"? A quick census search won't even help me place the proper nationality/ethnicity, though it sounds Italian to me.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:34 AM »
French. Remi is a french boy's name and is just derived from that, it doesn't mean anything in particular. Flandre as well, is French.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »
Who was the one who led the mission to help Byakuren? I thought it might be Shou since she's the stage 5 boss, but none of the others seem to mention her , let alone credit her as the one leading the rescue, and her own dialogue doesn't seem to take credit for planning the rescue. In fact, all they ever talk about is Byakuren, but Byakuren's dialogue indicates she had no idea they were planning to save her from her seal, so she can't be the one who masterminded the plan. As such, I'm at a bit of a loss regarding which was the one who led the charge...

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Drake

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:15:10 PM »
They just got together. I don't think there was one particular driving force.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
It was CAPTAIN MURASA. Or at any rate, it keeps referring to "Captain Murasa and her crew" in the manuals and stuff.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
French. Remi is a french boy's name and is just derived from that, it doesn't mean anything in particular. Flandre as well, is French.

I think the name Remilia has also historically been used in England.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »
Why is our new Global Mod so smexy? Just checking in to offer my services. :V

Who was the one who led the mission to help Byakuren?

Well, according to the translation of Shou's bio:

"A few hundred years after Byakuren disappeared, the temple was in great disarray. And so, Byakuren's friends who'd been sealed deep beneath the earth returned.
She didn't want to have any more regrets. She wouldn't run away.
She told Murasa and the others how to lift the seal. She was, after all, a youkai.
She wanted to put all her power into bringing Byakuren back.
"In order to break the seal, we'll need the power of Myouren, Byakuren's brother.
And the only things left are a flying treasury and the floating treasures...
Murasa, let's take the ship and go look for it!""

And from Murasa's:

"A few hundred years passed.
Byakuren, the youkai saviour, had been captured and sealed by humans.
At the same time, anything related to Byakuren was buried deep beneath the earth.
Murasa, too, had been buried deep beneath the earth with the Tobikura.
She never imagined she would be sent flying back above ground by a geyser.
And so, she made a pledge:
"This time, I'll be the one to save Byakuren. Yes, riding the ship that Byakuren created."

So Shou's the one who suggested the idea initially, but Murasa's bio seems to indicate she wanted to do it anyway. So you could consider it being Shou who led, but it was pretty much a combined effort.

(And unrelated note, perusing Shou's bio reveals that Nazrin is originally Bishamonten's helper who was assigned to Shou to keep tabs on her. Interesting.)

Hey Drake, What kind of gear does ZUN use to create music?
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Drake

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Edirol SD-90 and various sound management programs for editing.

The SD-90 would be where are the sounds come from. SD-20 is also similar.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
Let's see...

America = Americans
Asia = Asian
Japan = Japanese

Gensokyo = ?

Or do we just call them 'Touhous'?
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »
I've seen 'Gensokyoan' and 'denizen of Gensokyo', but predominantly people just refer to the characters collectively as 'Touhous'.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »
Flandre as well, is French.

Which is in itself derived from the Dutch word 'Vlaanderen'. (Flandres/Vlaanderen is a part of Belgium in which mainly Dutch is spoken).

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »
Wait, how do the characters fight canon-wise?

Eosd, PCB, IN, MoF, SA and UFO?
Pofv?
IaMP?
SWR, UNL?
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
What do you mean by "How do the characters fight"? Do you mean, 'How does the danmaku battle represent what is "really" happening'?

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
Wait, how do the characters fight canon-wise?

Eosd, PCB, IN, MoF, SA and UFO?
Pofv?
IaMP?
SWR, UNL?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckUtOBOOO4

I think this is the most accurate description of real life danmaku battling.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
What do you mean by "How do the characters fight"? Do you mean, 'How does the danmaku battle represent what is "really" happening'?

How the spellcard system actually works in canon. It's confusing considering there are 3-5 different depictions on how spellcard battles are fought.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
I think the best way to describe it is "it doesn't work" and that apart from SSiB, which somewhat contradicts the "actually DEFEAT them!" mechanic, ZUN hasn't really specified anything in particular. I've come up with my own thing, but it's far from canon (and it was made specifically for my comic and fanfics).

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:09 AM »
The wiki entry on Spellcards has pretty much everything we could ever tell you that wouldn't start divulging into theory and fanon.

Of particular interest to you, the PMiSS segment:

It was specified in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense that the Spell Card system was developed by Reimu and first used in the Scarlet Mist incident. They were designed to give even weak youkai and humans a chance to win, as well as to provide youkai a way to defeat the Hakurei Shrine in a fair duel. They are described as pieces of paper bearing the descriptions of their respective spells, along with the possible approval of the shrine maiden.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:11:47 AM »
How exactly does blocking work in UNL?

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:11 AM »
Press the opposite direction that your character are facing, or "4".

Any other details are on the wiki.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »
*Calms own self down*

This question has already been posted on that site before, but I want to ask it here to see your views.

Here goes (paraphrased) :

Why do the bosses take so many shots to go down when Reimu, Marisa, etc. only take one shot to go down?

Or why does your character go down in 1 hit? I thought this is a fair danmaku fight.

By the way, the answer posted there was on the lines of:

This is Gensokyo.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
*Calms own self down*

This question has already been posted on that site before, but I want to ask it here to see your views.

Here goes (paraphrased) :

Why do the bosses take so many shots to go down when Reimu, Marisa, etc. only take one shot to go down?

Or why does your character go down in 1 hit? I thought this is a fair danmaku fight.

By the way, the answer posted there was on the lines of:
Because it's a bullet hell shmup, and that's how bullet hell shmups work. The lolis and pretty music are just window dressing.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
Honestly the above answer is about as closest to the truth as you'll get. There are various theories by various people about what it's like from the characters' perspective, but it'll never be a perfect fit to the game mechanics as is.

The way I view it is, the protagonist is the challenger so she doesn't need to use her own spellcards, she just has to get through the challenged's spellcards to make her yield. Bombing is essentially cheating so there's a limit to how much you can acceptably do it before breaking the pact that binds all Gensokyoans to the conflict-resolution spellcard system.

Note that the above is just one way to look at it, and any further discussion could easily be turned into its own thread if anyone wants to discuss it further. :3

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »
Now I've got another question to ask.

Yukari's ability is to manipulate borders, right?

What exactly is a border?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
From the PMiSS portion of the Wiki for Yukari

Yukari's power to manipulate boundaries gives her power over all sorts of things and is comparable to the powers of the gods.
Her manipulation of boundaries even affect illusion and reality, or the fictional and the actual.
She can travel anywhere through gaps in space and cannot be followed through them, and can freely travel through the Hakurei Border.
She could also simply reach a hand through a gap in space and steal people's food from a distance.
Because Gensokyo itself exists due to the boundary around it, Yukari could supposedly destroy Gensokyo if she wished.

So, 'all sorts of things' is the answer. Taken literally, it's hard to find something that doesn't have a border of some kind, because the world is divided into discreet portions. (In all actually, it's more continuous than it seems, but humans can't help but think of things discreetly. I.E. temperature, time, weight, etc.)

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »
So it wouldn't be exaggerating if I said she has the boundary over life and death or maybe something like boundary of victory and defeat?

From the PMiSS portion of the Wiki for Yukari

So, 'all sorts of things' is the answer. Taken literally, it's hard to find something that doesn't have a border of some kind, because the world is divided into discreet portions. (In all actually, it's more continuous than it seems, but humans can't help but think of things discreetly. I.E. temperature, time, weight, etc.)

Fast reply is fast.

EDIT: Added another question. So in theory, can I also say that she has access to every ability that all the other characters have and more?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:34:14 PM by beaver1231 »

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

EDIT: Added another question. So in theory, can I also say that she has access to every ability that all the other characters have and more?

As long as it is worded correctly, I presume, yes. Boundary between This Moment and the Next = Time Stop; Boundary of Fiction and Reality = Magic and Anti-Magic; Boundary of Life and Death = Immortality; extrapolate to everything else you can imagine.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
Part of what makes Touhou so receptive to fanworks and 'fanon' is that there's so much left up to interpretation. There's a lot to theorize about because everything is so open ended. Yukari's manipulation of boundaries is one such ability that has been used to much creative effect in fandom.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
As long as it is worded correctly, I presume, yes. Boundary between This Moment and the Next = Time Stop; Boundary of Fiction and Reality = Magic and Anti-Magic; Boundary of Life and Death = Immortality; extrapolate to everything else you can imagine.

Personally, I think she'd only ever need to use "Boundary of Fair Play and Cheating".  Which would kinda suit her, now that I think about it...
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"