Author Topic: Kaguya's Eternal Plate of Bullets (Stuff added)  (Read 23396 times)

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
Re: Nekoguya's scripts thread(Touhou 初運眠 incomplete, but yeah)
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »
Necromancy! =O

Anyway, after a rigorous 9-week period, it has come to an end. I'm releasing what I have, as I can't work on it, and I want some critique on the danmaku. :V

Enjoy~

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »
TBH, you were really lazy with spell design. The only gimmick you used throughout the game is that your bullets curve like hell, changing direction randomly with no warning, which is a bad one to begin with. There was little to no variation in danmaku, and no effort to balance difficulty. Bullets appearing on the bottom of the screen with no delay is NEVER a good idea.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
TBH, you were really lazy with spell design. The only gimmick you used throughout the game is that your bullets curve like hell, changing direction randomly with no warning, which is a bad one to begin with. There was little to no variation in danmaku, and no effort to balance difficulty. Bullets appearing on the bottom of the screen with no delay is NEVER a good idea.

I've noticed this too. T___T Most likely, half the danmaku in the game will be replaced with better Danmaku.

Must improve Danmaku, must improve Danmaku... @_@

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »
Hm.
Hmmm...  :-X
Hrrrrrrm...   :-\

Ok, before we get to rest of the critique, I want to get some things out of the way:

I don't know if it is just me, but both when trying to play stage 3 in practice and when I play stage in the regular game all the bullet graphics become muddy abominations of their former selves for some reason.  ::)
Pictures of this will be attached to the post.

So, now that we have got this out of the way, the general criticism:

1. You have a high number of incredibly cheap moments. Enemies spawning at the bottom of or two thirds down the screen who instantly figher high-to-mid-tempo danmaku are the worst offenders here.

2. The dificulty is way off. The earlier stages are pretty much just as difficult as the latter ones in terms of danmaku, they only don't last as long.

3. The majority of your attacks have no timer given, meaning that they cannot be timed out and will go on forever unless shot, even nonspells, and the majority of your spellcards all have the same name "Creation Sign - Bonds of Life".

4. Sound effects are your friend. Not only do they improve the atmosphere, but sometimes the use of sound cues can turn utterly cheapness into a playable spellcard.

5. Many attacks have semi-safe spots. Some other attacks are just plain random or have other factors that make them unfair; see also point #1.

6. Many attacks have way too little life, some are even not getting their bullets close to the player before they're shot down.

7. On several spots in the stages, you have enemies that do not leave the field after they shot all their danmaku at points where you used WaitForZeroEnemy.

8. On the matter of spell card design: What Onthenet said.

Now to the specific criticism:

Stage 5 is a concept stage, and its general quality suffers badly from this. You have way too similar stuff repeated several times: A small number of fairies which simply get streamed, a non-card which is just a spiral of monochrome bullets or bullet lines, a spell that consists of the enemy moving randomly about the entire field while shooting a specific kind of danmaku from a circle around him (the random movement also makes the spell cards quite luckbased, especially the green and yellow ones). Rinse, repeat. The purple spell card is a breath of fresh air, but it is also again quite random. The final attack of the stage is alright, but way too little a payoff for the stage that goes before it.
My suggestion: reduce the randomness of the spellcards and change the non-cards to something else entirely.

I'd cover more stuff, but I've got to do other stuff now and the project is just too huge for me to go in depth for every stage, sorry.

Overall, there are tons of stuff that needs to be fixed. To me, right now, the entire game is little-to-no fun at all.   :-\
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
Re: Nekoguya's scripts thread
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
*Necromancy*

So after all this non action, I decided to make a Remilia Player. Mainly it was for testing some ideas I had, so feel free to critique and insult it. <3

if Mediafire is still down: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4934601/RemiliaScarletB.zip
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:28:07 PM by Houraisan Kaguya »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: Nekoguya's scripts thread (Remilia Player!)
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Huh. Well, ummm...

Positive:

Your sprite looks nice. If it was animated, it would probably look really good.

Negative:

1. The dps of the attacks is fine without an focused bomb. After 2 focused bombs, it becomes overpowered. After 10 bombs, you deal 3 times as much damage per second as the regular forward focus types (ReimuB and MarisaB).

2. The unfocused bomb spits out so much stuff that it causes slowdown for me.

3. The unfocused bomb deals high damage at the regular player spawning height. It deals too much damage about halfway to the screen. If you are close to the boss, it is absolute overkill. It murdered the damage tester like it was nothing.

4. Getting additional invincibility per graze is a ability that is balanced only for certain scripts. Anything that throws a too high number of bullets at you becomes significantly easier, especially when you add the duration increase of the unfocused spellcard. Why does she even have this ability? And I don't mean an explanation why it fits the flavour of the character, that one is obvious. I mean why she should have an ability like that from a gameplay stand point?

5. On another note, if you really put in an ability like that, make shure to give the player a way to know he can use the ability again. Having the character sprite flash in red for a fraction of a second and adding a little sound cue would make the ability much better, design wise.

6. Even if it doesn't remove bullets, a bomb that has no graphic or sound effect whatsoever aside from the invincibility circle is very boring. That the other bomb uses the regular danmakufu enemy bullets without additive blending and has no sound effect either is another nail in the coffin.

So yeah... this character needs to be refined on pretty much every conceivable angle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:12:52 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
Yeah a character that gains permanent bonuses is probably not well thought out :V

I do find the idea of a bomb raising your normal shot power intriguing, but it should only be temporary (15~30 secondsish, depending on how big the boost is) and not stack with multiple bombs.

Otherwise yeah, pretty much totally broken. Sorry.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
Alright, guys.  :V I'll post some of the changes I've made (No upload just yet, I still need Gungnir)

First: Remilia's Damage is 218/265.

Second: You only start with two bombs

Third: Gungnir made. It's a spear, with explosions. 'nuff said. (does ~2604 damage if the spear hits, 1242, otherwise.)

Fourth: When you Focus Bomb, Remilia glows Red, and then returns to normal. Not to mention the Focus bomb now just gives you a p nice power up, but only for 10 seconds, upon which it fades away.

Fifth: When you achieve the goal needed to activate the invincibility, you glow gold. If you have 2 or more saved up, it glows when you activate it, too.

So that kinda sums up the changes. So I learned how to do Object Effects. :V
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:40:32 AM by Houraisan Kaguya »

posting for updates

Dr. Katz

Re: Kaguya's Eternal Plate of Bullets (Remilia Player With Stand-in spear :V)
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
If you still need the Gungnir, I have cropped yours...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/Kaenbyou/Gungnir.png

Just change the ObjEffect_SetRenderState to alpha...

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
Re: Kaguya's Eternal Plate of Bullets (Stuff added)
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »
Buuuuump.

Stoff from DoA uploaded. Fixing Sakuya first, though.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »
A wild bump has appeared!

My AI is pretty complete, and is packaged in the form of a player.

http://bulletforge.org/u/chaostar/p/ai-concept-testing-and-player-chie/v/1

Eventually, if enough people ask, I'll put the code in an easy to plug in package, so anything can have an AI. how about a function :V

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
hahahaha... finally i have that player. though it's not as good as you told me :<

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
hahahaha... finally i have that player. though it's not as good as you told me :<

:ohdear: terrible. Anyway, I really need some feedback on this, so I can improve! Cmon' you feedbackers.

Elementoid

• Having a heated affair with feux-familiars
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
Problems I've noted:

-Chie is way too fast. You can't always use her focus shot to attack a boss, and it's suicidal to not use it when dodging bullets.

-She seems to run into bullets when dodging other bullets. She couldn't weave through one wave of bullets from this pattern.

-Although probably out of the realm of possibility, she should be able to analyze basic patterns. Instead of just going up and around an enemy in a windmill pattern, she'll dodge bullets (in the process moving up a bit) and then dodge them again when the wave catches up.

-She should be able to take advantage of her actual hitbox, analyzing the trajectory of danmaku and not dodging if it shouldn't hit her in her present position. She should also be able to quickly switch between analyzing bullets to avoid the aforementioned "steering into bullets" problem.

-Aesthetically speaking, a marker for when she's in autopilot mode would be nice (sometimes I forget and the AI and I fight for control). Also, those were meant to be animation sprites in the sheet.  :V

Nimono

• wat
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »
I agree with Chie being too fast unfocused, but I also have other problems with it...

1: Not very useful. The unfocused shot is a focused shot, and the focused shot is a killing machine when you're close? If you're going to do that, at LEAST give her a focused shot along with that, or make it a weak bomb. :( My Miracle Matter player's cutter form has lasers that can only be used at close-range, but to go with that, it also has a weak spread shot for when you can't get near the enemy.
2: AI isn't very good, IMO. Try it on EX-Rumia's second spellcard. If you activate it at the start, Chie goes left and down into the corner until she dies. She doesn't seem to take the bounds of the play area in mind...

That said, why does her shot change when in autopilot mode? o_O I think that the autopilot mode should auto-fire and auto-focus when need be.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »
I agree with Chie being too fast unfocused, but I also have other problems with it...

blah blah

2: AI isn't very good, IMO. Try it on EX-Rumia's second spellcard. If you activate it at the start, Chie goes left and down into the corner until she dies. She doesn't seem to take the bounds of the play area in mind...

That said, why does her shot change when in autopilot mode? o_O I think that the autopilot mode should auto-fire and auto-focus when need be.

My own Ex boss (Mikarei Ryousatsu, to be released at a later date) KILLED Chie, even on the Easy Mode I made after testing.
Any chance of you remaking Chie's AI some time later?

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
My own Ex boss (Mikarei Ryousatsu, to be released at a later date) KILLED Chie, even on the Easy Mode I made after testing.
Any chance of you remaking Chie's AI some time later?

There's limits to what I can do. It's basically impossible to programm intuition into a bot.

Chie dies mostly because of:
-dense networks of bullets
-hueg bullets
-She wants to go off the screen(I'm fixing this one atm)
-she can't see the future.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 04:26:26 PM »
Chie dies mostly because of:
-dense networks of bullets
* Mewkyuu makes Easy Mode even eaiser
* Mewkyuu tests
Crap. Not wanting to go off-screen will make things so much better.

Someone please hack PoFV's AIs.

Elementoid

• Having a heated affair with feux-familiars
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
Couldn't she "see the future" by analyzing bullets right after they're fired? It seems to me that at any given time she should have a "map" worked out of where certain bullets will be at certain times so she knows not to be there. Even if this were only taken into account in her immediate surroundings.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
Couldn't she "see the future" by analyzing bullets right after they're fired? It seems to me that at any given time she should have a "map" worked out of where certain bullets will be at certain times so she knows not to be there. Even if this were only taken into account in her immediate surroundings.

Welcome to lag city. :V

She'd have to calculate the trajectory of every single bullet ever. That would suck.