Author Topic: Just how popular is Touhou?  (Read 50076 times)

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
Re: Just how popular is Touhou?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
Soon we will have touhou-con in Limburg

Sanae

• I like to bandodge
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
ohh i feel so weak right now, because of that i am the only Danish Touhou player on this forum... or am i?
ohh well if anyone form denmark sees this Quote this text.
edited : because i forgot to put Dnemark in text. dohh.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:42:00 AM by Sanae »

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
I've tried to get my friends into touhou, but the usual response is "That's enough out of you today" ;_;

I do have one friend who really likes touhou, she plays IN and PCB all the time :3

Gpop

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »
Most of my friends are aware of the series. I got 3 of them who are now addicted to the series, and two of them are actually members here (they just don't post much though =/).

And now my sister is starting to get into the series itself. I lent her 4 or 5 of the Touhou songs I had in my Ipod that she liked, and last I checked, they were the top 5 most played songs on her Ipod :V

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »
http://www.google.com/trends?q=touhou

I find it hilarious that Canada is on the top 10 countries.

Dorian White

• The most handsome non-vampire diplomat you ever encountered ~
  • With a Gandalf like evolution.
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »
Soon we will have touhou-con in Limburg
Do you mind to tell where exactly?

None of my friends are interested in touhou at all, they call it "the little girls shoot at each other game".
Sometimes I can bring some of them to play a round IaMP or SWR with me but that's all.
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:33 AM »
Anyone from Brooklyn here? Anyone? No? Didn't think so.

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:44 AM »
http://www.google.com/trends?q=touhou&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=all&sort=0

I need to move to Orlando. I am like the only touhou fan in Ocala other than my brother.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:48 AM »
I'm Canadian.  BC, specifically - which means we're all on enough drugs and booze to consider Touhou a damn fun time 8D

We seem to have a small Touhou culture.  It got a panel at a convention out in Vancouver recently, along with a few cosplayers.

Also I show a lot of people Touhou, but only a few still play the games... fewer still the non-fighters... but a lot of people got into the art/music fandom around it.

Hey, cool. I was wondering if anyone on the forum lived near either of the Canadian coasts.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=touhou&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=all&sort=0

There are fans in Irvine? Where? I find it very hard to find anime fans in the LA basin, let alone Touhou fans.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »

Honestly, I am not surprised that Vancouver is one of the most weeaboo cities in North America.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »

Still nothing in Africa. Even when I localised the search to my province.

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:05 AM »
Well I'm at Calgary m'self, and as far as I can tell, there are like.. 5 other people in the city that at least know of it.

I can only assume 2 are addicted because I saw Reimu and SHAMEIMARU at a convention.

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2009, 07:16:06 AM »
I remember MotK once had a Google Map thing going where forum members could just put a marker down indicating where they were from. Someone start that up again. :V

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »
I remember MotK once had a Google Map thing going where forum members could just put a marker down indicating where they were from. Someone start that up again. :V

http://www.frappr.com/

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
In France most anime-manga-videogames internet blogger people know Touhou but they have yet to show their PASSION IRL beside private circle and they are more interested by all the fans materials than the original games (mostly music, nico? and IaMP).

At the recent Chibi Japan Expo '09 there was one panel of people drawing Touhou fanart and a few cosplays.

There are some Touhou fan in the mmorpg community, since I seen a Patchouli wizard player in Rohan, a priest Reimu in EQ2 and a Sakuya rogue in Aion.
Someone asked me if the Eirin name was the Eiga Rinri Kanri Iinkai  ;D

Gpop

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
We should set up a Touhou panel at AN10. I think we have enough people here who are into it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:30:06 PM by Koipop »

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
In France most anime-manga-videogames internet blogger people know Touhou but they have yet to show their PASSION IRL beside private circle and they are more interested by all the fans materials than the original games (mostly music, nico? and IaMP).
No, I prefer official games more than fanmade material, TSHH!
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Sanae

• I like to bandodge
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
man could be nice if i knew if any cons would come to denmark. (i pray for it)

Ai-chann

• Touhou Rookie
  • IT'S TOUHOU TIME
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:44 AM »
I'm the president of my university's Anime Club (I'm a loser), and I showed a video of Touhou on youtube before starting the meeting.  Nearly half of the people there were asking where they could get it.  I want to share the love to anyone and everyone who would be interested.  :)

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2009, 02:13:20 AM »
I only know anime fans in my area.  No Touhou fans though.  Don't think anyone even knows about it :V

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

About the graph: Holy. shit. I know it's just the uploads, but still.

That's just one source, and it's just to open up the topic. It'd be great if I had Sankaku and pixiv data as well. Or perhaps other sites will be fine too...

Back on topic, I guess Touhou is international now...
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »

Not, because we still don't put any effort to make doujins and stuff like the Japanese. Until they won't recognize us fully, we barely exist.

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »
How true. Even most the fanworks here are still based off them in the form of memes and such.
The only fanfic I know that manages to be completely different is Usually Dead's fanfics...
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »
That's just one source, and it's just to open up the topic. It'd be great if I had Sankaku and pixiv data as well. Or perhaps other sites will be fine too...

You can consider the following data:

Top five copyright tags on Danbooru
  • touhou (93197)
  • original (29965)
  • vocaloid (16941)
  • haruhi (12959)
  • nanoha (11827)

Top five copyright tags on Pixiv (note touhou is also the single biggest tag)
  • touhou (477415)
  • original (428296)
  • hetalia (151662)
  • vocaloid (92727)
  • idolmaster (45409)

Touhou has pretty much generated the most fanart of any series ever (can anyone name a counterexample? To be fair it should be no older than Touhou).

Another measure: the Touhou music wiki has 2320 works recorded. There's a reason ZUN is artist #1 in the VGMDB.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:33:08 PM by Functorial »

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
For a few months K-On! had an unbelievable number for its age. After only a month of being on the air I think the number of Danbooru posts reached around 1000, and pretty soon 2000. I almost thought it might catch up to Vocaloid, but then the rate of fanart leveled off.

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »
You can consider the following data:

Top five copyright tags on Danbooru
  • touhou (93197)
  • original (29965)
  • vocaloid (16941)
  • haruhi (12959)
  • nanoha (11827)

Top five copyright tags on Pixiv (note touhou is also the single biggest tag)
  • touhou (477415)
  • original (428296)
  • hetalia (151662)
  • vocaloid (92727)
  • idolmaster (45409)

Touhou has pretty much generated the most fanart of any series ever (can anyone name a counterexample? To be fair it should be no older than Touhou).

Another measure: the Touhou music wiki has 2320 works recorded. There's a reason ZUN is artist #1 in the VGMDB.

Wow, that's...amazing. Deviantart perhaps? For a japanese site though I'd probably can't come up with a good one.

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:13 AM »
I introduced a friend of mine into IaMP and PoFV, and he actually picked the games up with interest, but the whole fandom and character thing didn't quite kick in. I'm the only Touhou player that actually bothers with the normal games I know of in Austria. If I google it up in my country I only get a few links about IOSYS and SWR/Soku. Sigh.

That's not related to my country but what I encountered quite a few times was strict denial towards Touhou. Even some of the biggest japanophiles I've ever seen expressed their, what I'd almost call disgust, for it. I've been asked "What's the name of that girl I wanna look up more'" or '"Who's that girl in your avatar" strangely often only to get a 'Ugh nevermind.' response once I told them it's from Touhou. There seems to be something about that term that scares people off who don't even know what the hell it is.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
There seems to be something about that term that scares people off who don't even know what the hell it is.

This.
Because I was like that too, before looking it up. I dunno, but it seems Touhou has a really bad image on the intarwebz.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
This.
Because I was like that too, before looking it up. I dunno, but it seems Touhou has a really bad image on the intarwebz.

Touhou futa. That is all.