Author Topic: Just how popular is Touhou?  (Read 50459 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Just how popular is Touhou?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
Did you just called him a goat with a mixed german language ?! XD I lol'ed irl.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
Did you just called him a goat with a mixed german language ?! XD I lol'ed irl.
Haha, exactly. Geit = gaat, maar als je dialect uit schrijft ziet het er niet uit. And even if they don't admit it, limburgs is AT LEAST 50% german!

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
There are many people here in my country who knows Touhou. Most of them just admiring the character and such, a few of them play UNL, and to much lesser, plays the STG version.

Btw, the largest gaming forum in my country puts Touhou in the Anime and Manga section. It really drives me nuts.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Wait a minute, are that many germans in here?

Ich bin ?berrascht, to say the least...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
Haha, exactly. Geit = gaat, maar als je dialect uit schrijft ziet het er niet uit. And even if they don't admit it, limburgs is AT LEAST 50% german!

Hehe, I know. People living close to german border and luxemburg often have mixed language dialects so they trying to understand them is quite hard. Lucky for me I live in the middle of Holland so I cannot be blamed for having a Northern or Western dutch dialect :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
I'm Canadian.  BC, specifically - which means we're all on enough drugs and booze to consider Touhou a damn fun time 8D

We seem to have a small Touhou culture.  It got a panel at a convention out in Vancouver recently, along with a few cosplayers.

Also I show a lot of people Touhou, but only a few still play the games... fewer still the non-fighters... but a lot of people got into the art/music fandom around it.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »
Hey jong, wie geit t mit dich?

My limburgs dialect is a bit bad, but I've lived here for 18 years, and the dude I mentioned aswell. So that's 3 persons in Limburg  :-*

Joh es geht wel goeie wa, alles chille pik?  :V

Oh hey awesome, more people from the Netherlands.
And yeah, Limburgs basically IS German.

So that makes 5 out of 16 million people in Holland to know about Touhou.  :V

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »
I'm Canadian.  BC, specifically - which means we're all on enough drugs and booze to consider Touhou a damn fun time 8D

We seem to have a small Touhou culture.  It got a panel at a convention out in Vancouver recently, along with a few cosplayers.

Also I show a lot of people Touhou, but only a few still play the games... fewer still the non-fighters... but a lot of people got into the art/music fandom around it.
I think you may be the only other people in Western Canada to have ever heard of Touhou. I'm here in Edmonton and nobody seems to have heard of it (then again, I've only mentioned it exactly once).

Drake

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
winnipeg represent

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Toasty

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »

You sound like someone i know...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
So that makes 5 out of 16 million people in Holland to know about Touhou.  :V

You know there are far more dutchies on Motk than I imagined. You don't know but some of them also hang out in CPMC and Rika's section.

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
That's cool Tinari, about being the "weirdo" (spontaneous would be more realistic).

Well, I don't really talk about anything unless someone asks before, but at least 2 of my friends are aware of Touhou, but simply don't play it because, well, more than 9000 bullets in the screen doesn't sound very nice for them.
In the end, it all goes down to playability... Most people aren't willing to play a game with thousands of bullets in the screen and only one hit per life.

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
I have to admit I was kinda afraid to play the shooters at first so I started with the fighters,
moved on the STB, and then PoFV. Now I'm an easy modo failure with the normal games.

Yamachanadu

• Apparently pre-Yamatrend
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 02:47:36 AM »
Montreal represent.

I know a couple actual touhou fans, although one of them doesn't really count as he's a Japanese expat.  Aside from that I've gotten a few people into the games and a few more interested in the fandom works.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently there were half a dozen touhou cosplayers at the local con, I'll have to look into organising a panel.
<%convider> with the nose on top it looks like a lovecraftian sam fisher

Bananamatic

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:34 AM »
oh haha
I've found some touhou players in my country
unfortunately the forum is locked to public and you need to send an SMS to confirm your registration
I don't even have a phone
gg internet

EDIT: Found some local MAME highscores, 2 people 1cc'd Dodonpachi with 39m.
Also found one touhou topic. Like 20 people shitting bricks at Normal(or even at the screenshots and claiming that they would rather eat their own balls :V)

That's all I've found. I'm moving to Netherlands. Or somewhere. Where touhou exists.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:18:09 AM by Bananamatic »

Pako

• Forum pessimist, chatbox optimist
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
I' m pretty sure I'm the only one around Limburg in the Netherlands who knows about Touhou.

The cool people live in Drenthe  :V

But wow, there sure are many dutchies here~
I thought me, Helepolis and Casercan where the only ones!

This shameful piece of shit was made by a certain Anonymous-Fairy, but is now deleted- bawwwww.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
Wait a minute, are that many germans in here?

Ist das so~?
Who are all the others? I didn't see more in this thread.

on topic: Seems my friend is trying to spread Touhou around even more. I'm sure his girlfriend is going to try it soon and yesterday he played it at university right in the middle of a lecture.
One of the people watching said 'it looks like Space Invaders'... it doesn't!  >:(

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:09 AM »
I don't know of anyone from my graduating class that knows of Touhou at all. I've mentioned it to my sister once or twice when explaining certain memes (read: Sakuya Brando), though.

EDIT: Should probably mention my Texas locale.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:42:40 AM by rdj522 »

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »

Yeah, there seems to be a fairly large anime following here in Vancouver, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were quite a number of people into Touhou, or at the very least know about it. I've never seen anyone play or mention it in public, though.

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »
EDIT: Should probably mention my Texas locale.
Oh hey, someone else that lives in Texas.

Anyways, I told one of my friends to check Touhou out yesterday. I let him read the wikipedia entry on it (only because the Touhou wiki is blocked at our school) and he said he'd take a look at it. I'll have to find out whether or not he's interested in it later today.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
Hoo boy, chalk me up for the Dutch camp as well, though I'm not originally Dutch.

You Limburgey weirdoes.  ;)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
'it looks like Space Invaders'... it doesn't!  >:(
It's the probably the closest thing they know that looks like it. Not everyone can be huge video gaming nerds. Chill out.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »
Hoo boy, chalk me up for the Dutch camp as well, though I'm not originally Dutch.

You Limburgey weirdoes.  ;)

Wait what is this sudden invasion of Dutch people or dutch speaking people.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Wait what is this sudden invasion of Dutch people or dutch speaking people.

I guess Holland is the new Japan, Touhou-wise?

I...I think I need to lie down after saying that.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
oh wow, what did I unleash?  :V

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
oh wow, what did I unleash?  :V

Something good. Holland is not very far from here.

Tonia-Tan

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
I have  tried to intorude it to my friends but they don't like this type of games^^
In my country Greece things like that aren't popular at all >.<

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »
One from America here, Minnesota to be presice.  There are a couple fans, though most arent that interested.  I did get a couple people insteristed with the fighter, but thats about it.  And I think there was PC-98 with touhou at our con last year, I swear it looked like it at least.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
You sound like someone i know...

I may be!  But, ah, you'd probably know me by my username alone if that was the case XD

I'm actually down in the southeastern corner-ish area (Around Grand Forks).  If that's where you are, well... maybe we do know each other XD

Rinnosuke Morichika

• Bombs, rope, spell cards. It's yours, my friend!
  • I'm sorry, Marisa, I don't take credit.
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
You're all lucky. I'm sat in the middle of a 2000-square-mile farmland. Barely anyone knows what anime is, nevertheless Touhou. It's a <1hour drive from the middle of Amish Territory.

About the graph: Holy. shit. I know it's just the uploads, but still.