Author Topic: Just how popular is Touhou?  (Read 50462 times)

Just how popular is Touhou?
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:28:22 AM »
Not just Japan, I mean the entire world.

Found it in a Safebooru website:

Translation:
http://safebooru.donmai.us/post/show/298972/chart-diagram-gundam-hatsune_miku-higurashi_no_nak

Mentioned source from Safebooru site:
http://infinite.xrea.jp/etc/teiten_graph0805.png

Incidentally, has anyone tried introducing Touhou to someone else? Or know exactly how popular Touhou is in your country?
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
Re: Just how popular is Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:17:04 AM »
The chart shows the number of fanart posted on the boorus. it might mean a lot but i dunno. INteresting to note though. Touhou doesn't have much outside of the official material ZUN dishes out. so of course all else is all fan works eh? hehe.
Not that I'm complaining at all. but i wonder if that is the cause of the skewness of the chart. bah who knows. the arts all good and as long as it stays good. we're all good  8)

Introducing people to touhou huh. well i live on my college's campus and my roommates are all nerds like me. Of course they would take an interest eventually in my games. In fact they was making D@D characters while we watched Season 1 of "The Slayers" and i was working on Touhoumon data haha. For the past 3 years i've gotten my roommates into touhou, my current roommates play UNL with me from time to time ^_^ I have PS2 controller USB adapters to plug into the comps and we play the games on my laptop every weekend. since i've been playing it much longer i win most of the time but they are getting better. Only one of my friends actually tries to play the shooters and we play PoFV together sometimes. but we mostly play UNL. So dam fun ^_^
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »
Well I sorta "left" the Hungarian anime subculture, due to them being too "behind-the-times", so I dunno. At least I know, that Hungarian gaming culture is all about realism and better graphics (just like our great-culture), this is why the Wii and the DS are basically dying here. So I don't think many people play Touhou, or at least know about them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:23:22 PM by Solais »

neight

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
I'm not even sure if there is much of a commercial market for Touhou outside Japan or the Asiatic region.  Out of curiosity, and after reading this post, I went onto Google trends to see what would pop up if I typed in "touhou".  While it looks like Touhou is steadily growing more popular every year, searches for Touhou are popular predominantly in the the Asiatic region (especially Singapore, Thailand, and not surprisingly Japan). 

I used the English version of Google Trends though and I'm not sure if there exists something similar that can search for Touhou trends across multiple search engines, languages or regions.  Any thoughts or ideas? 

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
Woooow....

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »
As for introducing Touhou to friends, most of my friends have at least taken a peek at my Touhou videos. They don't seem to interested in trying it though. since they aren't really into 2D shooters much. (that i know of)

Maybe one of them plays it but just hasn't told me, i dunno

Toasty

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
My friends said they've played games just like it and it looked too easy (what? Space invaders?).

They're still not going to even try it on normal mode :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
The gaming culture is pretty much dead here. Even the biggest Final Fantasy forum around here is dead.

Touhou around here? Hell, I might be the best touhou player in my country, if not the only one.
Arcades are pretty much nonexistant here and with almost everyone playing only stuff like CoD.....shmups are pretty much nonexistant just as arcades are thanks to the "better graphics=better game" thinking.

Searched Touhou on the biggest search sites around here.....results....NOTHING.
Mainly because "touhou" also means something else around here.

I don't have the balls to introduce anyone to touhou around here. I already am like an alien compared to others, the last thing I need to do is showing everyone that I play games with only little girls in them.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
The gaming culture is pretty much dead here. Even the biggest Final Fantasy forum around here is dead.

Touhou around here? Hell, I might be the best touhou player in my country, if not the only one.
Arcades are pretty much nonexistant here and with almost everyone playing only stuff like CoD.....shmups are pretty much nonexistant just as arcades are thanks to the "better graphics=better game" thinking.

Searched Touhou on the biggest search sites around here.....results....NOTHING.
Mainly because "touhou" also means something else around here.

I don't have the balls to introduce anyone to touhou around here. I already am like an alien compared to others, the last thing I need to do is showing everyone that I play games with only little girls in them.

Hello my lost twin brother/sister, where have you been?

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
Hello my lost twin brother/sister, where have you been?
Two countries northwest from you :V

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »
I actually met a dude who plays touhou.

But then again, he's the only one and he lurks 4-chan so he knows EVERYTHING on the internets (am yet to mention something he doesn't recognise)

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
My friends said `It looks like Space Invaders` And then they go play Space invaders. :l

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »
No one here has ever heard of it before. Occasionally, I play the games during class when we're not doing anything, and that's when people start huddling up right behind me to see what's going on. I get comments like "That looks really hard," "That makes my eyes hurt," and "What is that/how do you play?" but I have yet to find someone who already knows about it, sadly.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
This, to a lesser extent. I know no-one near me who likes shmups whatsoever. Any friends I've tried to introduce are pretty much uninterested.

Hell, I might be the best touhou player in my country.
...That's an interesting thought. Come to think of it, does anyone know of any other high level Touhou players from the UK? I've never heard of any, but it seems really unrealistic that there'd be no-one at a higher level of play than me in the country. :V
Let's fight.

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »
All my sister likes about Touhou are the fighting games and Cirno's Perfect Math Class. Everybody else I know know nothing about it.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 12:10:27 AM »
@Sapz: FallenAngelVeronica. I'm pretty sure that she's from the UK.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »
Quote from: YouTube - FallenAngelVeronica's Channel
This account is closed.
:( What sort of stuff did she manage?
Let's fight.

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
Two weeks ago at my uni's anime club nigh I showed off Touhou during intermission and everyone shat bricks.

Then at last Friday's anime night I gave the game to a couple of people to play :V

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »
:( What sort of stuff did she manage?
Busy with RL.

Here's a really small list.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:20:27 AM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 12:33:16 AM »
This, to a lesser extent. I know no-one near me who likes shmups whatsoever. Any friends I've tried to introduce are pretty much uninterested.
Same here, but replace "shmups" with "games".
One dude from my class is really good at CS(wins leagues and stuff), the remaining 4 play only CoD and stuff casually and the rest are girls which don't play anything.

...That's an interesting thought. Come to think of it, does anyone know of any other high level Touhou players from the UK? I've never heard of any, but it seems really unrealistic that there'd be no-one at a higher level of play than me in the country. :V
Yeah, but you are from UK...people there can atleast speak english, meaning that gaming is at a much higher level over there.

People over here get turned off by RPGs(and console gaming in general) because they don't have language patches.

It sucks, really.
People even fake their country to mine just so they can get awards for gaming videos on youtube. Yeah, gaming is THAT bad over here.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 12:36:26 AM »
The only people I know who know about or play Touhou, I introduced to the series.  (Several months after I started, and it took a couple of them maybe one to get better than me by a long shot.)

SPREAD THE WORD

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 12:38:12 AM »
Quote from: FallenAngelV
  • VoWG Timeout
  • SA Lunatic 1cc with 8 spare lives
  • Perfect Yukari battle and scoring run at the same time
...FFFFFFF-

Looks like I'll be staying #2 for quite some time, then. :V
Let's fight.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
I' m pretty sure I'm the only one around Limburg in the Netherlands who knows about Touhou.
Everybody I know is either playing FIFA or WoW.
I did show a few people my replays and reactions were pretty hilarious.  :V
They all support me though and one even picked up the games himself.  I've gotta ask how he's holding up tomorrow.

Phar's Dutch, so I'm nowhere near the best in my country.  :V
Maybe I' m the second best.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 06:04:17 AM »
African continent. Any challengers?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 06:51:25 AM »
I've shown Touhou to two friends up to now. One started playing itself, the other one only saw it one time but admitted that 'it looks addicting'.

As for Touhou culture in Germany, I'd say it's pretty much non-existant. Anime, Manga and (Japanese) Games are still considered childish here (though that's changing), so only people who browse the English community will stumble across Touhou sooner or later. There is a Touhou group on the German version of Facebook though, with a small number of members.

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »
American here.  I shamelessly promote the game to my friends via messenger, in person or at work.  I have a friend who doesn't play the game but digs the GSTs.  I have another who'll watch me play but has little interest other than a like of who he calls "Rainbow Chi Girl" from the fighting games (Hong Meiling).  An old room mate of mine knows of it, hasn't played it but links me to various flashes he finds that are Touhou related.  He's known of the series longer via memes but I was the first and only one to actively play it.

I also take videos on my PSP to work to show coworkers when I am bored and talk about it.  I don't know why people mention they're worried about talking to it with other people.  The older I get the less I seem to worry what other's think about what I do, and just do it.  They find it really REALLY weird when I put my music player in the kitchen area and they start hearing songs in French, Japanese, Russian, German, Spanish of metal, rock, chip-tune and VGM varieties.  I'm the "weirdo" without shame where I live and I still make great friends and have a lot of respect at work. :)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 07:21:43 AM »
I don't really know anyone in real life that I talk to to find out if they know about Touhou ._.; I've told my friends about it when talking to them over AIM... Wait, that's three people, and I don't think any of them have ever played it <.<; I sometimes mention it a little on another site I go to, but no one ever commented to say they actually know what Touhou is...

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
I found a person I know on my msn with Mokou from the bad apple pvas his dp,
but he doesn't know what it is yet.

I just talked to him, gave him the FuFuFu, and left.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:37:58 AM by Cadmas »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
I' m pretty sure I'm the only one around Limburg in the Netherlands who knows about Touhou.

SO NANO KA?

Well I don't live in Limburg :V. Touhou fans are rare in Holland ( well I have seen alot of threads on dutch forums and such. ) They just don't visit the larger community forums I think.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
Everybody I know is either playing FIFA or WoW.
I did show a few people my replays and reactions were pretty hilarious.  :V
They all support me though and one even picked up the games himself.  I've gotta ask how he's holding up tomorrow.

Phar's Dutch, so I'm nowhere near the best in my country.  :V
Maybe I' m the second best.
Hey jong, wie geit t mit dich?

My limburgs dialect is a bit bad, but I've lived here for 18 years, and the dude I mentioned aswell. So that's 3 persons in Limburg  :-*