Author Topic: Challenge Thread  (Read 33711 times)

Re: Challenge Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »
NEW CHALLENGE!

Play as Marisa/Patchy as the type that's before the first type (the one that makes all of the options shoot DOWN). This is Hard or Lunatic only. (In other words, no matter how many points you get it'll be like you have 0 power, unless if you're constantly above the boss)

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 01:33:44 AM »
interesting

in that case I think you'd want to NOT get power items or they'll actually weaken your main shot

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »
interesting

in that case I think you'd want to NOT get power items or they'll actually weaken your main shot
Better yet, get power to shotgun bomb.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:22 AM »
Play as Marisa/Patchy as the type that's before the first type (the one that makes all of the options shoot DOWN). This is Hard or Lunatic only. (In other words, no matter how many points you get it'll be like you have 0 power, unless if you're constantly above the boss)
This is probably the easiest of your challenges, but unfortunately, it's tedious as all hell. Nothing funner than having patterns and spell cards last up to 40-50 seconds, sometimes even longer.

It's fun attacking a boss from the top of the screen though; opportunities like this are far more common than what I'd first thought. Maybe I'll try to actually tackle a hard 1cc with this rule when I have the time.

Drake

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:35 AM »
Well, I did it, but the replay desynced. Dammit to all hell.
Not sure if I'll try this one, never even played with Patchy before.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 04:22:32 AM »
Oh right bombing. God, I am not on track this week.

This is probably the easiest of your challenges, but unfortunately, it's tedious as all hell. Nothing funner than having patterns and spell cards last up to 40-50 seconds, sometimes even longer.
I actually find that pacifist is fun that way, since you get to immerse yourself in the patterns instead of having them fly by a few seconds after the other. It's good to relax or really push yourself. Although yeah, some of your less liked moves might be annoying to go through.

also wat a no-horizontal pcb run I need to see this someone link me replay plz
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:33:58 AM by stargroup »

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:53 AM »
I think he's referring to Gil's Phantom no horizonal run.

If he is this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf0TRi8Zyk

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:30 AM »
A challenge thread? Ok then, here are some weird ones I thought of :

- Tap shift to the rhythm of the music nonstop. Screws up dodging, fingers and laptop keys.

- Focus only. The challenge is to find something interesting to do with that.

- Time attack. 10 seconds penalty for bombs. No penalty for deaths.
Unfortunately there's no in-game timer, but timing the replays is (probably) quite reliable.
Also, if you're not playing SA that time penalty for bombs should probably be higher, around 15 seconds. And maybe even 30 for MoF. 
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Heartbeam

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
This no-horizontal run, actually.

NEW CHALLENGE!

Never feel at home playing Marisa.  Leaving it to someone else to make a cleaner run.

Hack job.  The only remotely interesting part of this playthrough was Philosopher's Stone.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:18:03 AM by Heartbeam »

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 04:15:34 PM »
This no-horizontal run, actually.

Doesn't appear to be the replay you wanted to link.
Also, Gom Season 3 is pretty awesome thus far, no?
Advocate of Transhumanism

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
Why would one want to do challenges of Easy mode hmm? It seems illogical to me. Any person who might be good enough to pull it off would probably find easy mode boring and anyone who still finds easy mode fun would not be good enough to pull it off. That's what i think anyway. Why don't you just stick to individual stages or spellcards for your challenges? Makes more sense to me. How about timing out Sanaes first spellcard on Lunatic? (Certainly not because i need someone to copy movements from.  ;D) or how about Orin Lunatic pacifist? *gets shot twice with a shotgun.*

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »
Why would one want to do challenges of Easy mode hmm? It seems illogical to me. Any person who might be good enough to pull it off would probably find easy mode boring and anyone who still finds easy mode fun would not be good enough to pull it off. That's what i think anyway. Why don't you just stick to individual stages or spellcards for your challenges? Makes more sense to me. How about timing out Sanaes first spellcard on Lunatic? (Certainly not because i need someone to copy movements from.  ;D) or how about Orin Lunatic pacifist? *gets shot twice with a shotgun.*

The fun is in the challenge itself, in doing things differently.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Drake

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
Orin Lunatic Pacifist.

Tool-Assisted, obviously. Skip the stage, I suck at it. One bomb due to my inattention, I didn't realize how much the top of the screen cut off.

I'm gonna see how easy it is to get inside Ghost Wheels.

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »
Orin Lunatic Pacifist.

Tool-Assisted, obviously. Skip the stage, I suck at it. One bomb due to my inattention, I didn't realize how much the top of the screen cut off.

I'm gonna see how easy it is to get inside Ghost Wheels.

Alright. Its time somebody drops that probation box in the ocean.  ;) Awesome! I'm so gonna go watch that replay.

The fun is in the challenge itself, in doing things differently.

Hmmm... you've got a point there. Its nothing i can do though. Easy mode bores me to tears no matter how i play it. Simply too slow.

Drake

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
Dancing through Ghost Wheels. As in through the Ghost Wheels.

It's actually very easy. After a few bombs/deaths, the last fifteen seconds were the most amazing feeling ever.
Also Small Demon Revival awkward zooming, but whatever.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:37:20 PM by Drake »

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:18 PM »
Dancing through Ghost Wheels. As in through the Ghost Wheels.

It's actually very easy. After a few bombs/deaths, the last fifteen seconds were the most amazing feeling ever.
Also Small Demon Revival awkward zooming, but whatever.

As long as you are using tool assistance of course.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »
A challenge thread? Ok then, here are some weird ones I thought of :

- Tap shift to the rhythm of the music nonstop. Screws up dodging, fingers and laptop keys.

- Focus only. The challenge is to find something interesting to do with that.

- Time attack. 10 seconds penalty for bombs. No penalty for deaths.
Unfortunately there's no in-game timer, but timing the replays is (probably) quite reliable.
Also, if you're not playing SA that time penalty for bombs should probably be higher, around 15 seconds. And maybe even 30 for MoF.
Sorry, man. We all appreciate your input, but these challenges aren't all that great or creative. Focus and time attack are very typical ideas. Focus will just be boring, since everyone focuses anyways, won't be much of a difference from normal play. Time attack would be kind of pointless since the only place you can actually shave time off is during bosses, and usually the difference between plays is minimal. In addition, actually calculating the time taken is manual (I don't think there is a way to know), which makes it impractical as well.

Taping focus to a rhythm may seem like a somewhat decent idea, but it is a very vague challange, and there are a number of factors that can greatly change a playthrough, such as duration of holding down shift each time you hit it, mis-timed hits due to lag or slip, or too many or too little hits. These may sound insignificant, but in the long scheme of things, the border between life and death can be a few pixels wide. Any sort of variation can save a life, greatly altering final results, with no strict way to define the terms of challenge either.

Sorry dude. We'd love to hear any other ideas you might have though.

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 02:38:28 AM »
So I was in an extremely long and boring car ride today, and since I had nothing better to do I came up with some really ridiculous and stupid challenge ideas.  Feel free to try them out.  Or not.  I wouldn't blame you...

1.  Clear IN stage 3 Normal in practice mode under these conditions:
     -True pacifist for the stage portion, including the midboss.  For the boss fight, you can play normally.
     -only 5 misses or less

2.  Time out Eternal Meek (difficulty of your choice, though Lunatic would be quite impressive) with no deaths and vertical movement only.  Of course, this one would be hard to prove unless you ran through the whole game or recorded it live, but I thought I?d throw it out there anyway.

3.  Clear PCB stage 3 Lunatic in practice mode under these conditions:
   -No focus
   -No bombs , but border breaking is allowed
   -Time out Hanged Hourai Dolls

4. Get to Mokou in IN extra under these conditions:
   -Pacifist
   -Three bombs may be used for the stage portion, but only three.  Use them wisely? (and yes, a deathbomb counts as two)

So yeah, these are all pretty up there in difficulty.  I'm not even sure if the last one is all that possible, though it seemed cool when I thought of it.  You all will just have to find out for me.  :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:41:23 AM by Azinth »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:15 AM »
So I was in an extremely long and boring car ride today, and since I had nothing better to do I came up with some really ridiculous and stupid challenge ideas.  Feel free to try them out.  Or not.  I wouldn't blame you...

-True pacifist for the stage portion, including the midboss.  For the boss fight, you can play normally.
     -only 5 misses or less
Very... interesting.

Comment: That's something new. http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3262 That was also my first attempt. lol border hax
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:10:24 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 02:59:25 AM »
3.  Clear PCB stage 3 Lunatic in practice mode under these conditions:
   -No focus
Hm, Alice does not lend well to no-focus runs, especially not on some of her denser attacks like her opener and Benevolent.

Quote from: Azinth
-No bombs , but border breaking is allowed
Entirely possible.

Quote from: Azinth
-Time out Hanged Hourai Dolls
Oh come the fuck on now you're just being ridiculous.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 04:28:10 AM »
     -only 5 misses or less
Did someone say pacifist?

On it.

EDIT: I rule. http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3263

Ignore the horrible, horrible boss fight.

EDIT2: ARGH timed out Eternal Meek on Lunatic with horizontal. It was amazing. Unfortunately I forgot that EoSD doesn't save stage practice runs. It's easy actually, just stay to a corner.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:36:02 AM by stargroup »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 07:10:38 AM »
Oh come the fuck on now you're just being ridiculous.

I thought you did that on a regular basis.

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
EDIT2: ARGH timed out Eternal Meek on Lunatic with horizontal. It was amazing. Unfortunately I forgot that EoSD doesn't save stage practice runs. It's easy actually, just stay to a corner.

If it gets easy by doing that it kills the impressiveness of it. One should stick to the center when it comes to that challenge. ;D

Drake

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
The challenge was only vertical movement, and is thus impossible at the center unless you somehow hax life and get nothing down the middle.

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
The challenge was only vertical movement, and is thus impossible at the center unless you somehow hax life and get nothing down the middle.

Okay then. Well how about this one. Time out Hina's last spell. It gets all weird after some time have passed. One would not notice it during a simple takedown.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
Okay then. Well how about this one. Time out Hina's last spell. It gets all weird after some time have passed. One would not notice it during a simple takedown.
Oh my god.

I've been trying to do a perfect stage 2 Lunatic run with pacifist, but that last spell is the only thing giving me a hard time.

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »
I remember reading that Hina's last spell on lunatic is pretty luck-based, especially when it reaches its last phase.  MoF seems to have tons of attacks like that, like Minoriko's final spell, Source of Rains, Peerless Wind God...  You can tell just how hard ZUN worked on this game to smooth out all the bugs and everything. Truly a masterpiece of design. ::)

Anyway, I thought of two more challenges:  Capture Hollow Giant Woo with horizontal movement only, and capture Ikahasa's Moon Curse with vertical movenent only.  At the beginning of the cards, you can move yourself to a vertical/horizontal position of your choice, but once the bullets appear, you can only move in the directions specified.

The Woo challenge isn't all that bad (I actually managed to do it when testing it earlier) But Ikahasa is some pretty serious stuff.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:47:04 PM by Azinth »

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
I remember reading that Hina's last spell on lunatic is pretty luck-based, especially when it reaches its last phase.  MoF seems to have tons of attacks like that, like Minoriko's final spell, Source of Rains, Peerless Wind God...  You can tell just how hard ZUN worked on this game to smooth out all the bugs and everything. Truly a masterpiece of design. ::)
Actually, I like MoF simply because very few cards are luck-based. The only real card that's luck-based is probably Peerless Wind God. But even that card can be done with consistency if you have extreme reading skills.

All the spells that I've had trouble with, I've come to realize that they do have their strategies to them, and one of the best things about them is that they are relatively unique and usually require more reading than bs memorization.

In other words, I like MoF for its well planned-out patterns.

Drake

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
Capping Ihakasa with vertical is impossible, by the way. The knives hit the bottom at different spacings every time it circles around, so you'll always have at least one wave that will home in directly on your vertical position.

EDIT: Well, not exactly, they'll home in as close as possible. If you get one to aim at you when you're at the bottom, you have a chance of survival as you go up and down. You'd have to be one lucky son of a bitch to be able to get it, though.

EDIT: Well fuck me. That was difficult.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:10:19 PM by Drake »

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
Oh confound it, you're right, sir.  It is pretty bullshitty.  Now I just feel stupid for making such a miscalculation.  Fine, just capture Invisible Full Moon on Lunatic with horizontal only instead.  With Sakuya Solo.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:11:32 PM by Azinth »