Author Topic: Challenge Thread  (Read 33705 times)

Challenge Thread
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »
Challenges go here.

Challenge I: Beat SA as Reimu C, unfocused and pacifist, on easy.

Challenge II:  1cc SA using Reimu A, without using the right key.

Post a replay or video to show you did it. More will come once someone does the most recent challenge.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:15:54 AM by Darkblizer »

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
Re: Darkblizer's challenges
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
I can't even clear stage six easy in practice mode under these conditions. Granted, I only tried once, but you might want to start with challenges that are slightly more possible.

As an additional note, pacifist and SA don't really mix. You can never bomb (although true pacifist doesn't bomb anyway) and you will get zero extra lives, since star pieces aren't dropped when attacks are timed out.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
Hmm...

-no focus = feasible to some extent, but SA makes it that clipping is far too common, especially with the handicap of no precise movements.

-pacifist = feasible... to some extent (but as Kefit said... 2 lives isn't a lot to work with). And pacifist implies no bombing; if you want to incorporate bombing, it is better to say "timeout challenge".

-no focus, pacifist; 1+1 =/=2, but a greater value. This can be demonstrated better through probability.

-no focus, pacifist, and ReimuC? Show us what you've got first.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:30:52 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »
lmfao

I would LOVE to see a replay of this.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
I'm giving it a try, but it is damn hard. Especially stage 5. And Stage 3 Shackles is NOT NICE.

geh fuck it. Stage 5 is too difficult, I can't pass it with 3 lives, nevermind finishing the game with that stage in the way.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:41:56 PM by Schpwuette »
Advocate of Transhumanism

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Maybe it would be better if, instead of having to 1cc it, the winner is the one who can simply get the farthest under those conditions.  I actually tried ReimuC unfocused/pacifist in practice a while ago, and it was obvious that 1ccing like that is pretty much impossible mostly due to stage 6.  Even taking into account ReimuC's ridiculous movement, Utsuho's sun bullets make unfocused movement kind of hard due to... certain limitations (spoiler:  YOU CAN'T SEE YOUR SPRITE).

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:36 PM »
Maybe it would be better if, instead of having to 1cc it, the winner is the one who can simply get the farthest under those conditions.  I actually tried ReimuC unfocused/pacifist in practice a while ago, and it was obvious that 1ccing like that is pretty much impossible mostly due to stage 6.  Even taking into account ReimuC's ridiculous movement, Utsuho's sun bullets make unfocused movement kind of hard due to... certain limitations (spoiler:  YOU CAN'T SEE YOUR SPRITE).

My attempt

Got to stage 4 before game overing in a totally dumb way.
Also died twice on stage 3: once stupidly and once acceptably.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:00:33 AM »
My attempt

Got to stage 4 before game overing in a totally dumb way.
Also died twice on stage 3: once stupidly and once acceptably.
Yeah, not much room for error huh?

Drake

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:27 AM »
Jesus. I could probably make it to Stage 4 if my fingers weren't so twitchy.
And tapping the keyboard didn't send you thirty pixels. Parsee's opener is hell.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »
Because my skills at micrododging (i.e. microtapping) sucks so much (see: VoWG Lunatic attempts), I died twice on stage 1, to Yamame's last spell card. Then I clip Parsee's opening.

Attempted it just because I can. Probably won't try it again.

EDIT: Done Stage 4 practice without dying. Very plausible that stage.
EDIT 2: Rin's going to slaughter you. Unless you can microtap through a dense pattern.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:40:44 AM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
Bah, made it to Yuugi's last nonspell.  :P  It was actually quite easy at the beginning for the most part, but then I got to Shackles.  Oh God Shackles.  Then I died to her bubble card and the nonspell right after due to clipdeath on the former and panic on the latter. 

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 07:11:05 AM »
Made the requirements slightly more forgiving, and added a new challenge.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »
Challenges go here.

Challenge I: Beat SA as Reimu C, unfocused and pacifist, on easy.

Challenge II:  1cc SA using Reimu A, without using the right key.

Post a replay or video to show you did it. More will come once someone does the most recent challenge.
@I: that means 3 lives per stage. Stage 6 is still unfeasible. Rin may still be unfeasible. Got no time to check atm.

@II: I can say shackles will basically be VERY, VERY boring. And Hell's Artificial Sun will be basically insta-bomb, since gapping is impossible. Good luck with Blazing Wheel, without bombing... heh. Basically all of Utsuho's Spell Cards will require bombing, so conservation is the key.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:30:36 AM by BaitySM »
<>

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
At this point I think we should just use this thread for most odd challenges and stuff and combine them all in the first post preferably.

Otherwise, I might start a new thread for that.

P.S. Here's a challenge I've been working on, see how far you guys can get:

MoF Lunatic [True] Pacifist

Here's my stats:
Stage 1: perfect
Stage 2: 4 deaths (definitely possible)
Stage 3: 6 deaths (the fairies you see right before Nitori flees are the obly real obstacle)
Stage 4: oh god awkjalkekfneeli (uhhhhhhh)
Stage 5: 4 deaths (not that bad at all actually, just gotta get a bit lucky)
Stage 6: oh god aeleakjlkealkealk (uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
MoF Lunatic [True] Pacifist
Stage 6: oh god aeleakjlkealkealk (uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Funny, I can do the stage with only 2 clippings, and 1 of those was a "stupid" clip. Whereabouts it is... it's when the "mid-fairy" comes in.

If you want the replay containing my demise on the stage... I'll put it up when I wake up.
<>

Drake

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
Jesus, the second challenge sounds amaaazing. Will try asap.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
Got to level 5 on the first challenge (pacifist unfocused Reimu/Aya), died once on Yuugi's Spinning Wheel of Hell or whatever it's called (harder than I thought it would be) and then twice on the stage portion of level 5. What a fucking kick in the balls these challenges are.

I like it.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:14 PM »
Funny, I can do the stage with only 2 clippings, and 1 of those was a "stupid" clip. Whereabouts it is... it's when the "mid-fairy" comes in.

If you want the replay containing my demise on the stage... I'll put it up when I wake up.
I usually get 2, maybe 1 on the stage if I'm lucky. I've only survived that second one once, and I was just incredibly lucky that time. Doesn't look like it'll happen very often though.

That no right button thing sounds pretty dumb to be honest. I don't see how that's possible and it seems like it'll be really annoying with tons of memorizing.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
I practiced stage 4, 5, and 6 using the second challenge, and it actually seems pretty feasible on easy.  Blazing wheel can be passed via safespot, and Nuclear Fusion is doable with proper timing of gaps.  I was even able to capture Hell's Artificial Sun; it's so pathetic on easy that I just tapped to the left when a bullet came near me and it ended before I even got out of range.  However, Petit Flare and Hell/Heaven Meltdown are ultra bullshit, as well as Orin's second boss card.  Bombspamb tiem!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
That no right button thing sounds pretty dumb to be honest. I don't see how that's possible and it seems like it'll be really annoying with tons of memorizing.
Keep in mind that ReimuA can border hax.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
Keep in mind that ReimuA can border hax.

OOOOOH that changes everything.

Awesome challenge. XD

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Agh, the mental block needed for Challenge II is insanely hard. I made it to Yamame's last card on Easy and poked right on reflex. >_>

And no-focus Reimu C pacifist? Sorry, but I'm only human.

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
Agh, the mental block needed for Challenge II is insanely hard. I made it to Yamame's last card on Easy and poked right on reflex. >_>
I had a reasonable amount of success by just going to the bottom of the screen and never pressing any direction other than left... but that wouldn't work for the entire game (and soon after I started using the up and down keys, I instinctively pressed right)

Drake

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
ASDFSADFASDF WHEEL OF PAIN IS IMPOSSIBBLLEE

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
ASDFSADFASDF WHEEL OF PAIN IS IMPOSSIBBLLEE

o shi- you're right.

That scene never did make sense to me though. Orin's all like hey go beat Utusho for me thx and she comes back saying oh wait I forgot that your corpse actually means more to me so now I guess I have to kill you

What's wrong with her hahaha

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »
o shi- you're right.

That scene never did make sense to me though. Orin's all like hey go beat Utusho for me thx and she comes back saying oh wait I forgot that your corpse actually means more to me so now I guess I have to kill you

What's wrong with her hahaha

She does EVERYTHING for the lulz mate...
rofl bye

Drake

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
I died once on Hanasaka by accident, so I purposefully game over'd at Stage 3, and I continued from there with the starting three lives.

I made it all the way to Nuclear Fusion, and almost succeeded in beating it.

I have complete confidence in my ability to actually be able to do this one.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
At this point I think we should just use this thread for most odd challenges and stuff and combine them all in the first post preferably.

Okay, I changed it to a "Challenge Thread" now

Heartbeam

Re: Challenge Thread
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 12:43:51 AM »
This one is only Easy Mode and not as eye-opening as, say, GIL's no-horizontal PCB run.  Outside of Normal and up I imagine most people can walk in and finish this difficulty on the first try if they're already familiar with the workings of the stages.  There's wasn't much trouble not hitting the right arrow key but it was disabled just in case.  Replay here.  Rekindling of Dead Ashes was nice and I should have let it time out.

If anyone has a method for the stage portion of six on challenge one please share!  I cannot achieve any lower than two misses.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:52:54 AM by Heartbeam »