Author Topic: confused about touhou fangame guidelines  (Read 26874 times)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Re: confused about touhou fangame guidelines
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 07:30:52 PM »
What I do is try to draw my own sprites, but if they don't come out good within an hour or so, I use a rip. I'm with Helepolis in that I (and people playing) would rather have a good-looking game with graphics rips than a bad-looking game with everything hand-drawn.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
Dutch people have a saying for this:

"Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht"

I'll let you people figure out the translation and meaning :V

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
Dutch people have a saying for this:

"Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht"

I'll let you people figure out the translation and meaning :V
" More better well pinched than bad bedacht" ???

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »
Paraphrasing and according to Google search results, "Better a good ripoff than a bad original."

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
Paraphrasing and according to Google search results, "Better a good ripoff than a bad original."
I liked my version better :V

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:41 AM »
I see.
So using a bit of content probably isn't so bad then? If I remember, Hollow World of God used a lot of things ripped from Touhou. Specifically stage 4. And it kind of seems the same idea as when you rip sprites from your favorite SNES game.

So I guess maybe it is ok for smaller projects like the Koishimindfuck/rape? Since it specifically needed brofist.

I MADE A SET OF MARISA SPRITES. Is it ok? I drew it myself and everything.

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »
From previous threads on this forum, apparently just drawing it yourself is not enough, it has to look original/different from ZUN's sprites so people will not hate you. Any attempt at making it accurate to his images will cause rage  ::)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
From previous threads on this forum, apparently just drawing it yourself is not enough, it has to look original/different from ZUN's sprites so people will not hate you. Any attempt at making it accurate to his images will cause rage  ::)

Concealed the Conclusion.

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 09:01:51 AM »
Concealed the Conclusion.

The CtC sprites actually look quite different from the ZUN ones, not just in the sharpness of the lines or the shading. overall shape, pose, animations, even the colors used are different.

Also, every single god damn character on the north side of the screen has red eyes, even when their in-game portrait does not.

That aside, if you drew it yourself, it shouldn't matter if you duplicated ZUN's style, they're your own sprites. Any rage garnered from whoever for doing so is unwarranted, and should be ignored, IMO.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
The CtC sprites actually look quite different from the ZUN ones, not just in the sharpness of the lines or the shading. overall shape, pose, animations, even the colors used are different.

Also, every single god damn character on the north side of the screen has red eyes, even when their in-game portrait does not.

That aside, if you drew it yourself, it shouldn't matter if you duplicated ZUN's style, they're your own sprites. Any rage garnered from whoever for doing so is unwarranted, and should be ignored, IMO.

Exactly...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 09:34:38 AM »
I was more like proving the point that as long it is your own work, wethever reflecting original characters or not, nobody will hold a grudge for that. bennelsey is clueless and obviously hasn't (clearly) read my post on previous page which ZUN said himself.

The reason I mentioned concealed the conclusion was mainly the player character sprites, as they damn look fine and "close to ZUN's original" and yet selfmade.

Some of you people should really READ stuff before hitting the reply button.

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
im still missing the point since your reply on the previous page wasnt even about art ripping, also i already replied to that thread

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »
You are a real idiot, aren't you? People hate you because you despise ZUN work and yet base your work on his. Those were your own words. And so you get burned for those by others. Deal with it.

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
imma bring over my self quote here then
was only referring to ZUN dialogue art anyway

do i despise his games? no - im hooked enough to clear phantasm
do i despise his sprites? no - i even based my work on his stuff
do i despise his dialogue images? for most of his older games with a burning passion
do i worship him? as a GOD

of course ill base my work on his good parts

You're the only one doing any burning, and you're not even making sense now.

and to bring the thread back on track: make sure your sprites look veryyyyyyy unique because if you dont and you say you hate ZUN's art you'll get some burning by Helepol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:11:46 AM by bennelsey »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
I don't see the reason why you are bring an attack on your post from General section OVER to Rika's section. It was your necro-post bashing ZUN's work, not mine. Nice try in avoiding it by now bashing his dialogue art. Which is at the end disrespecting his work.

( ps: When you try to be funny, atleast write my name proper. )

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
Nope i wasnt bringing an attack over here, i was warning other people of making their sprites look too similar to ZUN's because apparently we're not allowed to follow ANY of his good parts when we say we hate his dialogue art.

(people like you who likes to bash people that likes bashing other people's crappy dialogue art)

un-un-unconfused yet? no? good

Also the lack of 2 letters in your name was due to my attempt at fast typing :P

PS. don't worry, i hate you too  ;D

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »
STOP, HELEPOLIS.jpg

Seriously this isn't really going anywhere

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
Nope i wasnt bringing an attack over here, i was warning other people of making their sprites look too similar to ZUN's because apparently we're not allowed to follow ANY of his good parts when we say we hate his dialogue art.
You are seriously an idiot. Unbelieveable. Do you actually read what you are writing? Nobody was bashing anyone for ripping stuff from ZUN or making it similar to ZUN. We were mere discussing it openly why and how.

Wait, I'll make it easier for you: Me and few others were bashing you at General section for saying you only play touhou because of fanart. Get it? This isn't about the community, this is about you.

And this thread was about discussing the usage of ZUN images in general. Like I said: Stop mixing your own stupid problem into this thread as they are totally different. And also stop talking crap about: "warning" people here, as obviously your post is reading: "sarcasm and irony" all over.

@Suikama,
it is indeed going nowhere as I am puzzled why this person suddenly brings over his grudges to this thread while the original discussion was different.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
Rika's Garage is a NO DRAMA Zone.

Look, make whatever graphics you can, but if you're not capable of doing so, nobody on this side of the ocean is going to flip out on you. Take it easy.

Thread locked.