Author Topic: Why is PoFV so hard?  (Read 7920 times)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
Why is PoFV so hard?
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
Or, more to the point, why do people say anything below Hard mode is shit easy?

My strategy on normal mode at the moment is to be able to beat stage 6 without dying, just so that I can die on stages 7 and 8 once, ending up with at least 2 extra lives going into Siki. Is this normal? Am I playing this game right?

<replay>

Note the match with Siki. I've never lasted long enough in the first round to see her get hurt. Ever. Even being able to beat her on the second round is really hard. :(

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Re: Why is PoFV so hard?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
I can't play PoFV on this computer so I can't exactly watch the replay, but there are a few things you need to know about PoFV.

1. L2 bombs are god tier.  HOWEVER, against the AI you need to realize that also means that with the eventual bullet barrages L2 bombspam puts forth your opponent will have near-constant deathbomb fuel.  Still use L2 bombs, but when fighting the AI use them in moderation, and back off if things get too hectic.

2. The odds of the AI being hit are completely proportionate to speed and walls.  Slow opponents and fast bullets will increase your chances of landing hits.  They also really can't do anything if they're walled aside from bomb, though that kind of applies regardless.  Also dealing with landing hits, the AI only looks at things with a collision box, meaning bullet/EX spawn areas and Lily White herself won't register at all, which can lead to a few stupid deaths on its part.

3. Don't use Mystia or Lyrica if you're actually trying to win.

4. Aya is all streaming.  If you go into that fight trying to dodge everything by flying all over you're going to die, and fast.

There are a few other tips that I usually give out, but I'm not thinking too clearly at the moment.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:44:07 PM »
1. L2 spells are god tier.  HOWEVER, against the AI you need to realize that also means that with the eventual bullet barrages L2 bombspam puts forth your opponent will have near-constant deathbomb fuel.  Still use L2 spells, but when fighting the AI use them in moderation, and back off if things get too hectic.

Fixed.

This is probably what Lifespring meant, but I figured I'd clarify.  Bombs?  The things you activate by pressing X or whatever your designated bomb button is?  Those suck.  They suck hard, mainly because once you use one, your meter drops to zero and you're a sitting duck for a significant period of time.  Only use them if you know you're going to get hit and you don't have time to charge up an L2 spell instead.  Spells (the charged attacks) are awesome.  Use them.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »
This is probably what Lifespring meant, but I figured I'd clarify.  Bombs?  The things you activate by pressing X or whatever your designated bomb button is?  Those suck.  They suck hard, mainly because once you use one, your meter drops to zero and you're a sitting duck for a significant period of time.  Only use them if you know you're going to get hit and you don't have time to charge up an L2 spell instead.

Just adding a little to this, you might also want to use one if a gauge item is onscreen. Once one appears, you won't have time to charge a LV3-4 or a bunch of level 2's, but you can just bomb, reducing it to zero, and then pick up the item and get your gauge back to full instantly.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I do use L2 spells a lot; maybe too much, but whatever. Maybe I should back off a little bit.

I do usually stream Aya. In fact, Siki seems like a streaming situation as well, but there's just so many freaking bullets everywhere all the time.

But unfortunately, fast bullets to slow opponents doesn't help me at all(though it gives me a little insight as to how the CPU works).

I'm only using Lyrica in this because she's one of the few I haven't 1cced with yet, XD

And yeah, I've been bombing before getting the gauge item. There are times I do need to deathbomb, though. I guess it's all a matter of control, rather than going all out?

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:23 AM »
At first I thought that this was simply a case of "Oh, he just need to get better!" and figured that I'd throw up a replay of myself blowing through normal mode with Lyrica.

Boy was I surprised.

Replay

Check out the final stage. The first round goes on for 4 minutes without Shikieiki even getting hit.

My new stance on your problem is:

I blame Lyrica.  :V

Edit: Seriously, Lyrica's weird. Might have something to do with the fact that I've been playing exclusively as Shikieiki for nearly a year now but still... what's up with that scope?!

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
Fixed.

This is probably what Lifespring meant, but I figured I'd clarify.  Bombs?  The things you activate by pressing X or whatever your designated bomb button is?  Those suck.  They suck hard, mainly because once you use one, your meter drops to zero and you're a sitting duck for a significant period of time.  Only use them if you know you're going to get hit and you don't have time to charge up an L2 spell instead.  Spells (the charged attacks) are awesome.  Use them.
I wasn't really sure what the technical term was.  I've always called the ones you charge bombs and the ones you use with X X-bombs, and nobody's corrected me so far. :V

But on that note, I wouldn't bomb (x-bomb) unless the next hit would put you at half an orb.  Having an empty gauge will usually get you hit more than taking a hit and keeping your gauge will.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
You can always use continues until you unlock Aya and Medicine.

Bat shit easy with them, I 1cced Normal without even trying, really shitty scores though.

I almost did it with Cirno too, with a good score at that.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 03:47:59 AM »
I blame Lyrica.  :V

Edit: Seriously, Lyrica's weird. Might have something to do with the fact that I've been playing exclusively as Shikieiki for nearly a year now but still... what's up with that scope?!

Heh. Actually, she lasts that long with no matter what character I use. ;p

And I dun wanna use continues </masochist>

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:28 AM »

Bat shit easy with them, I 1cced Normal without even trying, really shitty scores though.

I almost did it with Cirno too, with a good score at that.
Yeah, but a clear with either of them is filed under "lolwhocares".  I'd probably 1cc Lunatic with ease with them, but...meh.

Also, I really like Cirno for PoFV.  Admittedly her scope is...eh...but for some reason I do really well with the li'l ice fairy.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ebarrett

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 04:54:31 AM »

Unfortunately beating the game with Aya or Medicine = cheating. ZUN's fault but it doesn't change a thing.

Here's proof.

3. Don't use Mystia or Lyrica if you're actually trying to win.

Fixed, Mystia is top tier for story mode. Excellent speed, excellent scope, excellent survivability. The AI is on a timer anyway. Match mode vs. the AI is another story, and Mystia is probably the worst character for it, though.

Also, I really like Cirno for PoFV.  Admittedly her scope is...eh...but for some reason I do really well with the li'l ice fairy.

Her scope is awesome, instant deployement is a godsend in PoFV. You can zip around unfocused as much as you want and just tap shift to activate spirits. And when it gets REALLY bad and you need to stay focused most of the time, 1. you'll never get rammed by a spirit and 2. her focused speed is still fantastic.

I've never lasted long enough in the first round to see her get hurt. Ever.

Don't expect to. First round Shiki is hax AI and you must lose. Yeah, once again blame ZUN.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:56:38 AM by ebarrett »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 07:11:32 AM »
If you think Shikieiki is bad, wait for Reimu at the end of Shiki's storymode.

Reimu is an ass to fight.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »
Just trying Extra for a bit... Reimu's Level 3... just... forget about it.  It gets me every time.

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
To regain honor and my manhood I decided to try it again this morning, this time with Shikieiki. It seems that Reimu (the final stage for Shiki) was planning on pulling the same thing, lasting nearly three minutes before getting hit even once. I decided to adopt the same strategy that I use for battling the lunatic Match Mode AI - building up to a lvl 4 charge and use it as soon as the AI has drained its own gauge. No amount of hax in the world will help them once they're looking at a giant laser beam to the face without any gauge to draw a death-bomb from.  :V
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:47:44 AM by MasterSpark »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »
To regain honor and my manhood I decided to try it again this morning, this time with Shikieiki. It seems that Reimu (the final stage for Shiki) was planning on pulling the same thing, lasting nearly three minutes before getting hit even once. I decided to adopt the same strategy that I use for battling the lunatic Match Mode AI - building up to a lvl 4 charge and use it as soon as the AI has drained its own gauge. No amount of hax in the world will help them once they're looking at a giant laser beam to the face without any gauge to draw a death-bomb from.  :V

AI doesn't need a deathbomb.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
If you think Shikieiki is bad, wait for Reimu at the end of Shiki's storymode.

Reimu is an ass to fight.

Or even stage 6 Yuka's story mode. No, seriously, "Power to Float" <_<; Reimu cheats. So do Aya and Komachi. And obviously, Shiki, even more than the rest.

There's a word I have for PoFV. "KomashikiayayayayAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEIIIIIIIMUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Basically, it combines the stage 6-9 bosses for Yuka into one (admittedly slightly ridiculous) word of of absolute rage <_<

ebarrett

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
AI doesn't need a deathbomb.

AI doesn't dodge Shiki's laser. At all.

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »

Indeed. The only thing that can save it is if it either has atleast a level 2 on its gauge to death-bomb out of it with, or if there's some other bullets in the area which triggers the AI to dodge out of the laser's path.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
AI doesn't dodge ANYTHING that doesn't have a hitbox, regardless of there being a visual indicator of it appearing or not.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »
I am convinced that Shiki and Komachi are cheating whores.  Period.

Also, extra mode what is this I cannot get hit ever?   :'(

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »
Unless you're Tewi~

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 08:54:28 PM »
I am convinced that Shiki and Komachi are cheating whores.  Period.

Well, it's easier to score and get a ton of lives on Extra. That and, ironically, the AI won't go uber-dodgehax once that little visible timer runs out. Actually, I think that Extra mode is EASIER than Normal mode =/