Author Topic: Onthenet's Danmakufu Projects (Chen completed)  (Read 37501 times)

Re: My first set of spellcards
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
Welcome welcome, always nice to have another addition to the English Danmakufu family.

Man, I got excited when I saw "I just learned Danmakufu yesterday...", I was all "oh shweet there's gonna be so many mistakes in this I'm gonna have a massive essay this is awesome!"

Yeah, way to steal that pleasure away form me.

Your scripts are pretty much flawless in terms of potential mistakes, from a coding standpoint. You use looping structures effectively and accomplish what you want to make with a limited amount of variables and a concise and clear code structure. Good lord, what could you want us to say. [hypocrisy]I will nitpick just for the sake of it, but your tabbing is leaving me a bit baffled. Because you spawn so little in these scripts, it's still pretty clear to see the looping structures, but occasionally you don't tab in to show that you're entering another set of {squiggly braces}, which gets very confusing in larger scripts. Be sure to remember to tab things accurately, so the code is much easier to follow -- for yourself and any others looking at your script.[/hypocrisy]

Alrighty, I do have another gripe, but I tell this to pretty much everybody and pretty much everybody can ignore it. Make the scripts more difficult, or have multiple difficulties. I'm not gonna go on about whos better than who, but easy/normal mode gets pretty niche to people who own and code danmakufu (all that testing really bumps up your skill, even though you feel like you're hardly ever playing), so you might want to make things more difficult in the near future. Your Border of Wave and Particle wasn't bad in terms of difficulty, but even that was "oohhh, particles... Lalala~". Anywyas, you can pretty much ignore all that, because ultimately, you script what you want to play. If you're an easy/normal mode guy, then don't feel you have to make lunatic+ spellcards just because I really really want you too oh please oh god that would be awesome thank you in advance please thanks

Good work, hope to see more from you in the near future.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
brilliant cards. You should add PK Love, though.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

As for difficulty, you guessed correctly since I'm one of those people who always play Normal, rarely 1CCing (right now I'm struggling with Stage 5 SA, but that's besides the point).  The most I could do is make something Extra stage-ish in difficulty (trick-based as opposed to sheer dodging skill). I'll make tougher versions, but would that require a 2nd txt for each attack, or could I achieve that by putting a variable in the plural script and having the single scripts check that?

BTW, I try not to tab TOO much, since I don't want to have to scroll notepad right all the time XD

@Darkblizer
I would if I had a decent idea of what to do for PK Love, then I would make it. Perhaps PK Flash too?

Re: My first set of spellcards (updated)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
You could definately diddle with setting and getting CommonData, and perhaps make the initialization a stage file, create an event with a difficulty choosing option, then SetCommonData based on that. Each individual script could GetCommonData, then if(GetCommonData==1){v = 3; angle = 4; etc.}else{v = 2; angle = 8; etc}. I would guide you on how to do this, but I'm not too comfortable on setting and getting common data. Your best bet right now is to make a second batch of text files, which isn't as hard as it sounds since you can just copy and paste the easier versions, and edit them from there. Honestly, for so few scripts, you should probably just make a second batch anyway rather than confuse yourself with diddling with CommonData, but for large multi-stage projects then common data is almost a necessity.

Anyways, I'm actually on the way out the door, so I'll write up some stuff on your new spellcards when I get home and test them (based on your first batch, I doubt I'll have anything other than positive remarks to give).

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »
Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I actually saw something about CommonData in the wiki, but I wasn't too sure how that worked.

Another question: how exactly would I go about making familars (not necessarily destroyable like IN's familiars, I mean like the magic hex circles and stuff)? I'm starting to run out of ideas when I'm limited to either spawning bullets from the boss, or from a predetermined coordinates.

In other news, I made a completely random script to test making bullets a certain distance away from the boss. It switches phases once the timer gets low enough. It should work if you just dump it in the same folder as the other Lucas scripts.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »
Best way to make familiars: Objects. Objects are made using tasks, which I see you're familiar with. THe main difficulty you'll have with objects is getting the damn image to appear correctly, which can be accomplished by following Nuclear Cheese's Object Effect Drawing Tutorial. Or, if you prefer, you could skim through Stuffman's Player Script Tutorial, which explains how to make Sakuya's "options", which are basically familiars. Your best bet is to go through the player tutorial though, since it gives a basic outline of how to shoot with them as well (just remember you're not using "player shots").

The second way is the way I mostly use, and probably the easiest (though slightly messy). I traditionally make familiars using seperate enemy scripts, which are very easy to make and summon.

Just make a text file, and fill it with:
Code: [Select]
script_enemy_main {
@Initialize{
    SetLife(10);
    etc.
 }
@MainLoop{
    [include no collion A or B so it can't be shot or collided with, include it if you want it to be shot]
    [attack functions, blah blah, like you would any script]
 }
@DrawLoop{
    [draw your familiar as you would any boss]
 }
@Finalize{
 }
}

And to spawn it, anywhere in your main script you write:
CreateEnemyFromFile(script path of your familiar/enemy, x-coordinate, y-coordinate, velocity (can be defined in the script), angle (also can be defined in script), user-defined argument);

For the user defined argument, any value or text string you put there can be transfered to the enemy script by saying "GetArgument" in the enemy script. So if I said "2" as the last parameter of my CreateEnemyFromFile, in the enemy script I could say:
v = GetArgument;
And "v" would assume a value of 2 for the script.

Object are more flexable in terms of being able to share the same global variables with the main boss, as well as being able to get the coordinates of the boss, but Enemy Scripts are much easier to handle and are probably much easier to code advanced movements with. Choose whichever you fancy, but keep in mind that spawning familiars as enemies can have unexpected results (some player script homing shots may target it instead of the boss, etc).

Alrighty, let's take a look at those scripts.

EDIT

What can I say, these a pretty good. Difficulty is getting there (and is a bit varied, I may note. Some cards are much ahrder than others. See: PK Flash and PK Rockin', they can both trap you), but could still use an improvement [ignore]. Your tabbing can still use the improvement that I mentioned earlier, but again, because your scripts are so small it's not really an issue. The spells are fairly fun to play, though more or less the same as the first batch. Which would make sense, seeing as it's Ness and Lucas... Whatever. Good job.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:31:58 PM by Naut »

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
I'm currently working on a set of spellcards/non-spells for Eirin, and hopefully they'll turn out as good, if not better than my Mother themed set. I've uploaded a sample that includes one non-spell and one spellcard, and you can find it in the first post.

@Naut (wow I instantly thought of @MainLoop when I typed this)
You'll find that the scripts are a bit more organized this time around. Difficulty is still rather low, but the patterns will get harder as they go on, I promise (You'll see what I mean when I you play the whole thing once I finish).

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »
@Naut{
GiveStatement("You'll find that the scripts are a bit more organized this time around. Difficulty is still rather low, but the patterns will get harder as they go on, I promise (You'll see what I mean when I you play the whole thing once I finish).")
}

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:23 AM »
script_review Naut{

let PositiveReview = true;
   let DifficultyApproval = false;

@Onthenet{
      GiveStatement("Ah, you've read me like a book.");
      GiveReaffirmingGesture;
      GivePositiveSynopsisOfSubjectPost("As you've predicted, the scripts are properly tabbed, which is a plus.");
      CreateBinaryPairForRhetoricalBalance("But the difficulty is still low, which is a minus...");
      AssuagePreviousComment("...However, the scripts are damn fun to play, and look very cool.");
      MakeNoteOfScriptingErrors(false);
      BriefPause;
      AddFinalCommentBeforeClosure("Also, I like how you've animated your background, I thought that was quite neat.");
   }

@Finalize{
      EncouragingRemark("These scripts are looking very good, looking forward to seeing what else you plan to create.");
   }
}

CK Crash

• boozer
Re: Onthenet's Danmakufu Projects (Eirin completed)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Eirin boss is pretty much done, if anyone with a better computer than me can record a run of the plural version of the script, that would be great, since Danmakufu refuses to be screen-captured for me.

Lunar Sign - Sea of Tranquility
"The sea of the Moon does not actually have water. Don't worry about drowning, just the danmaku."

Electric Impulse - Nervous System
"Eirin's understanding of the nervous system lets her understand the link between body and mind. Maybe she has control over these things. But a nurse would use it for good, right?"

Three Days Until World's End
"The Moon is falling! Oh wait, it's just a(nother) fake. It still makes a good bullet."

Cure Sign - Lunar Panacea
"Medicine from the Moon that has become forgotten due to newer remedies existing."

Heavenly Wisdom - Takamimusubi
"The original source of knowledge and wisdom. All the wisdom in the world doesn't make you a kind person though. What kind of person is Eirin?"

Things I'm aware of:
-The second spellcard uses the additive blend bullets, which is intentional. If you get too close, it's supposed to be harder to see the hitboxes.
-If you die during the third spellcard, the quake effect continues regardless.
-The last spellcard is mostly random, so the difficulty can vary.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
I can do it. Wait a bit and I can try it out.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
Three Days Until World's End
"The Moon is falling! Oh wait, it's just a(nother) fake. It still makes a good bullet."
Now we just need a playable Link

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
MAN! Drake's gonna beat my playthrough because mine is 800MBs and is taking AGES to upload! I've literally been uploading since like an hour after you posted the script, and it's not even close to finished. Expect my video to be up in two-three hours, in delicious HD.

I do have another question, could you perhaps orchestrate a Lunatic mode of this boss? That way I'll cancel my Normal replay and Drake can have that all to himself, and I'll just upload a Lunatic replay a little after you finish it. Plus I'd really like to see this turned up a notch, I've been tempted to edit it myself to make it harder!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »
lol I like easy scripts because they're easy

First I would break up the lifebar with #ScriptNextStep, it's a bit hard to track when it's all crammed into the same bar.

Sea of Tranquility is a great card, easily my favorite.

I like attack #2 the most out of the noncards, as a side that's because it's the only one that makes you avoid butterfly lines instead of just staying between them, the other attacks lack punch because of this.

Nervous System is good but I think its warning lasers have the opposite effect that they should; the first time I saw them I backed off to the bottom of the screen when she let out the sunburst D:

Three Days Until World's End:
DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY - 72 HOURS REMAIN
Great card in concept but much too easy to manipulate so that huge chunks of the thing miss you entirely. Maybe make the moon fall in random places instead of targetted at the player? It would actually make it harder to deal with since you couldn't just go to the side of the screen to ignore the fire and wait for the moon to fall there.

Lunar Panacea: Having this be an intro to the real spellcard felt a bit awkward, it should probably be the same card but with the lasers getting longer as the card goes on, so that it eventually turns into the second version? Anyway once it gets going it's fun.

I can't do Takamimusubi at all, being shot at from all sides kills me every time :V

Nice presentation, BTW

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
I do have another question, could you perhaps orchestrate a Lunatic mode of this boss? That way I'll cancel my Normal replay and Drake can have that all to himself, and I'll just upload a Lunatic replay a little after you finish it. Plus I'd really like to see this turned up a notch, I've been tempted to edit it myself to make it harder!
I could make a harder version, but I wouldn't be able to balance difficulty well. If you're okay with the attacks being very unbalanced, then sure :V

@ Stuffman
Yeah, I was a bit worried about the moon attack being too exploitable, maybe I should have every OTHER moon be spawned above the player, and increase the playing field to both the left and right so that the stars will appear even if the moon goes offscreen. I'll consider changing Lunar Panacea, but I like the effect of it suddenly turning loleasy to a serious attack. As for Takamimusubi, try doing it vertical only when aligned with Eirin, it becomes surprisingly doable. And as I said, I'm an easy/normal player, so I'm pretty comfortable with this difficulty (and I exited that comfort zone with the final attack, so be glad).

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
I could make a harder version, but I wouldn't be able to balance difficulty well. If you're okay with the attacks being very unbalanced, then sure :V

THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR

MAKE IT HAPPEN

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »
Stick this in the same folder as the old one, and replace all the txts.

I spent a maximum of 15 seconds testing each one, enjoy.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:32 PM »
OH BABY.

Like holy shit this is fucking awesome. Gimme a while I need to see if I can get a decent 1cc of this, expect uploads to YouTube.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:49 AM »
I must be going crazy but I get a shot replace script error when I try to run these; looking into the files I'm missing something called "libSHOT_REPLACEshot_replace.dnh".  I don't see them in the zip off mediafire... am I missing something (hopefully not something obvious that outs me as a noob)?

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 12:23:56 AM »
A noob, no. Oblivious? Perhaps.

Don't you deal with the Shot replace script anyway? Or do you still use the numbers-for-bulets version, hence why you seem to translate all your spellcards (from... Moontext)?

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:25:43 AM »
Stick this in the same folder as the old one, and replace all the txts.

I spent a maximum of 15 seconds testing each one, enjoy.
Haha nice. A couple of lol what's like the beginning of her last spell and her attack with the crisscross ovals that looks undodgable, but otherwise well done.

Drake

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »
Jesus fuck this is awesome.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:41 AM »
A noob, no. Oblivious? Perhaps.

Don't you deal with the Shot replace script anyway? Or do you still use the numbers-for-bulets version, hence why you seem to translate all your spellcards (from... Moontext)?

Oh I didn't know that was there.  I also didn't know we had some form of CtC standard we coulda been using!  I had been translating mine from my own script which is all names like BALL_S_BLUE :( .

Will post trip report soon.

Trip Report:  These all freakin' rock, really good work.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:48:38 AM by JormundElver »

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!  ;D And to think I only learned how to do this a bit over a week ago...

Anyways, it appears Drake is in charge of the ordinary run, and Naut is doing the Lunatic version. It would be great if you could PM me the videos when you finish so that I can add them to the main post.

Drake

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »
Well, I can do the Lunatic one with one continue. Expect the Normal version in a bit.

EDIT: OH MAH GAWD IT'S SO EASY NOW
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:49:25 AM by Drake »

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 04:06:05 AM »
Goddamnit, I've done two replays of Lunatic with one death and they both goddamn desync on the Moon card. Useless!

Drake

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
Oh yeah, about the moon card. All of my replays desync if the quake effect occurs when I die.
Also, I'm upping a Lunatic run in the same video, so expect it to take a bit to upload.

1st noncard: I love it, it's brilliant; the distraction factor is insane. Although one problem, I find that 50% of the time, it randomizes so that walls of the blob thing is at the bottom, which is incredibly hard to dodge. Most of my attempts stopped dead at this.
1st card: I also love it. You're probably supposed to go in circles, right? I just go down and bomb once so lol.
2nd noncard: WALLS EVERYWHERE and if you try to dodge them you get a line of butterflies in the face.
2nd card: This gets me so much. Agh. But it's good.
3rd noncard: A bit too fast for my tastes, but eh.
3rd card: Lasts way, way too long. You could probably do with a few less star bullets, it's hard to get through them before the fire gets you.
4th noncard: luv it
4th card: luv it
5th card: JESUS CHRIST WHY DO YOU DO THIS
6th card: You could probably up the difficulty a tad. Not much, just a tad. I can 50/50 capture it and bomb it once. Maybe start each wave a bit sooner so that the spiral thing is in play longer.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:59 AM »
Danmakufu just desyncs on that GD mooncard for no good reason on my computer. I've never failed it (I do the same thing on Normal and Lunatic, works for both versions), yet it desyncs everytime. Just had a third replay fucked over because of it.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
I see no reason for it to be desynching, all I did was change the background x and y by a random amount each frame during the shaking. Any part of it in particular that isn't working?

If necessary, just bomb-spam the attack so the replays still work.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:21:18 AM by Onthenet »