Author Topic: Most people underestimate the power of familiars in Touhou  (Read 3419 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Most people underestimate the power of familiars in Touhou
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
You know, I was wondering how the hell it is possible that the spellcard in UB: 96% - Great Galaxy of Spiritus, is spawned in SUCH a smooth way as if the stars are gliding upon appearance.

I was viewing Afro boss replay on youtube ( as it is always inspiring to watch the effects done ) when suddenly I noticed a bright flash of red light when the spellcards end. Now I know that bright red flash in Uwabami Breakers means the death of a familiar, enemy. And guess what, they ARE familiars.

And actually, alot of people are forgetting how useful familiars are. A few examples:
- The spinning colours behind Kanako in MoF are familiars.
- The spinning wired amulets in Byakuren's final card are familiars.

Many more probably but I haven't like looked through all the effects of original touhou games.

Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if the spellcircles in Touhou are familiars as well. ( well, I made my spellcircles like familiars to imitate the lagging effect )

I am curious how many people here use familiars for effects and trick-effects.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: Most people underestimate the power of familiars in Touhou
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
I really should use the things more, they have potential application in pretty much any instance where you're spawning bullets in a set pattern away from the boss. It improves visibility of what's happening for the player.

But I'm lazy and I don't like loading extra graphics and figuring out the movement script for the familiar  :V

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
I am curious how many people here use familiars for effects and trick-effects.

I use Obj_Effects managed in tasks, if those are counted as a familiars (as opposed to enemy scripts, I guess).

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
it's quite hard to keep familiar-based scripts easy to play. i've done it a few times. and if you played my phantasm stage and chose to eat cirno after the midboss you MUST know what i mean. yes it gave birth to a rape machine

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »
Effect objects are not familiars. Familiars are the ones that go POP and leave small explosion behind ( look at the original games ). (aka yes, enemy/slave in dnh terms)

And they are generally created with CreateEnemyFromScript CreateEnemyFromFile. The thing with familiars is they can allow you efficient graphic handling without fooling too much around with tasks and methods. Hence if you take Nue for example with her UFOs. Almost entire fight consists out of familiars.