Author Topic: Your Luckiest Dodges  (Read 50552 times)

Your Luckiest Dodges
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:17:37 PM »
This happens a lot; you dodge something, but you have no idea how you did it. Either you did something weird or it was total luck.

This happens all the time in PoFV :V

For example, I was playing Yuka against Youmu. Youmu got an automatic L4 attack and her boss started throwing the aimed knives at me. I somehow managed to actually go through the straight line of knives. No idea how that happened but it was amazing and I will likely never be able to do it again.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Your Luckiest Dodges
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
EoSD Extra.

I'm in the middle of Catadioptric and am managing then some unexpected debris starts heading straight for me. I panic and end up running around all over the place.

I think "How the crap did I not hit something just now."

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »
My last capture of Mercury Poison involved me grazing more bullets than I should.

Toasty

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »
The first prismriver nonspell on PCB....

You know the sudden fast lobbing of bullets? I grazed nearly all of them and got to the first spellcard undamaged :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:53:22 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJHwWgMgaU

Most of this, but particularly 0:43-0:47. :V
Let's fight.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:06:17 AM »
I once saw a replay where someone literally went through one of Sanae's nonspell walls in MoF, and I've done something similar once or twice before.

Also, any capture of Byakuren's last spell qualifies for this topic.

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:48 AM »
EoSD Hard a few days ago.

Starting Patchy's battle with ~2 lives and no bombs. I was somehow able to capture Green Storm, which brutally murders me even on normal.

Oh yeah, i just remembered this: I was experimenting with UFO Hard back before the full game was out and I had made it to Stage 3. You know those superfast 3-bullet waves that the fairies spew out near the end of stage? I got walled by them, took a deep breath, and just RAN through everything, somehow leaving my unscathed.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »
My capture of Possessed Fairy. I had so many close calls in a 40 second period I have no idea how I survived them all. The best one was where I got chased into a corner by the fairies, had a spray of tiny bullets coming my way, I gave up and just stood still waiting for the end...and everything missed. I gradually got out of the corner when I realized I wasn't dead, and it led to my one and only capture of that damned spell card.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:35:18 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »
I survived around 15 seconds inside a solid Shikieiki-wall.  For no reason.

Also, 3:02.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:05:50 AM »
For example, I was playing Yuka against Youmu. Youmu got an automatic L4 attack and her boss started throwing the aimed knives at me. I somehow managed to actually go through the straight line of knives. No idea how that happened but it was amazing and I will likely never be able to do it again.

I've actually managed to do that before too, except for me it was on Yuyuko's third nonspell.  It's just amazing how well-defined knife hitboxes are. :V

Also, one time I screwed up the shotgun fairy secion in EoSD stage 5 and got pinned to the bottom of the screen with about four blasts coming at me from different angles.  They all lined up just right so that they passed right by me.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:40 AM »
Not much comes to mind. Especially when I don't rely on luck so much anymore. That, and fluke dodges seem to always get cut short most of the time. Furthermore, most of my "dodges" in PoFV are all calculated, including the ones where I survive storms of bullets.

This is probably the best I have so far though in terms of being purely lucky.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:53 AM »
It's just amazing how well-defined those particular knife hitboxes are. :V
Fix'd, or Sakuya would be easy.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:41:54 AM »
capturing Genetics

how the hell did i manage to do that

Bananamatic

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
how the hell did I capture QED on my second attempt

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:11 AM »
Lots of Shiki walls in PoFV.

A couple of Flying Fantastica ones too, too bad none of those let me cap it in the end.

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
Resurrection Butterfly Lunatic, captured in 13th try.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »
how the hell did I capture QED on my second attempt
^ or maybe it was my third attempt. its been a while so i can't remember

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »
I forget exactly what I was doing but I can't use a bomb when focusing and moving left.  I was in the middle of a Sakuya Eternal Meek storm and was about to use a bomb.  I let go of focus and start mashing X while moving up and left sporadically unfocused.

I forgot I had zero bombs.  I went from the bottom right 2/3rds of the screen to the upper left 2/3rds unfocused random movement then focused and went back to the bottom middle and captured it.

And I'm a newb.  My hands were shaking from that. >.>

Bananamatic

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
I forget exactly what I was doing but I can't use a bomb when focusing and moving left.  I was in the middle of a Sakuya Eternal Meek storm and was about to use a bomb.  I let go of focus and start mashing X while moving up and left sporadically unfocused.

I forgot I had zero bombs.  I went from the bottom right 2/3rds of the screen to the upper left 2/3rds unfocused random movement then focused and went back to the bottom middle and captured it.

And I'm a newb.  My hands were shaking from that. >.>
I still do that, forgetting that I don't have bombs and rushing forward to do more damage.

Toasty

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:49:33 AM »
Just now, captured all of the stage 1 PCB cards on lunatic modo.

Died at chen, used continues til i got to alice. :V

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
Fantasy Heaven.

How did that wall not kill me?  :V

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:18:37 PM by Jaimers »

Lybydose

• Isn't cool enough to have a title
  • ESC -> Retry
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »
Fantasy Heaven.

THIS. 

I had a route memorized up to about the last 5-6 seconds.  The first time I made it that far I just randomly started moving around and it worked.

Bananamatic

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »
Dodged the post-Nazrin bullet spam on Hard without UFOs or anything.
 :V

ReimuA btw, no shotgun.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 05:39:07 AM »
PoFV netplay, me as Aya versus a Shiki on lunatic. I'm in the corner without bombs & the usual stuff heading my way. I basically went "Yeah I'm dead lets go to the middle for now." and just hit unfocused right, going the whole way of corner -> middle with unfocused Aya speed through Shiki walls that were so dense I didn't see anything of my sprite in the process. Coming out to a clearing, I'm double-checking my lives wondering where the dying sound was.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
Ressurection Butterfly, lunatic-that is all.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
Straight through a mess of Daiyousei crystals. All of them, Bunched right up. Even the outer wall.

Covered up right nicely for messing up and getting walled into it.  :V

Suwako Moriiya

• I am a terrible poster
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »
i rushed trough sanaes first star sign in MOF,
And ended up in one of the holes she make of the star sign, but i survived.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
Not exactly a lucky dodge per se, but when I fought Flandre last night during Four of a Kind, one of the blue ball bullets shot at me and I couldn't move out of the way. Then the real Flandre flew in front of me and the died when the bullet was like three pixels away from my hitbox. :D

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
My newest lucky dodge happened just a little while ago while playing a Danmakufu script - Helepolis' Touhou Dance Contest to be precise. Through some frantic key-pressing I managed to get quite far into the lunatic version of "The Great Galaxy of Spiritus" and by watching my movement in that replay I'm beginning to seriously get into it. A frightening card, that one.  :V
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:35:58 PM by MasterSpark »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
Not any particular cards, but I have a habit of diving to the top of the screen to hit the PoC when I really, really shouldn't and coming out unscathed despite a thousand bullets spawning on my head as I run away panicking.