Author Topic: Any good new secret of mana/seiken densetsu games?  (Read 6169 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Any good new secret of mana/seiken densetsu games?
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
I loved Secret of mana back in the day (still do), like Seiken Densetsu 3... Was dissapointed with Legend of mana when I first tried it, but was still fun, and I continue to enjoy it more and more actually the more I play it...It really improves upon what SD2 and 3 lacked in terms of replayability and challenge imo. But ever since then, every SD game I play is a total flop for me. Is this general opinion for you guys' too? Does anybody think there are some new ones that are good?

I'm thinking of trying children of mana for my DS but I'm kinda scared I'm going to waste my money on it because sword of mana (I think that's what it was called) was just plain bad. So I'd really appreciate some opinions >=).

Re: Any good new secret of mana/seiken densetsu games?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »
I like to pretend that there's nothing after Legend of Mana. :V I tried playing Sword of Mana once, but I couldn't really get into it. I have also looked at (not played) some of the newer ones, but they don't seem appealing.

I'd like to see SD2 get a retranslation, by fans or whatever. I've read that it had something like 40% of its dialogue cut for the North American SNES release, due to lack of memory space.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
I like to pretend that there's nothing after Legend of Mana. :V I tried playing Sword of Mana once, but I couldn't really get into it. I have also looked at (not played) some of the newer ones, but they don't seem appealing.

I'd like to see SD2 get a retranslation, by fans or whatever. I've read that it had something like 40% of its dialogue cut for the North American SNES release, due to lack of memory space.

Really? I never heard that. I know lack of memory space is the reason why SD3 never got ported to North America though.

I have a copy of SD2, I mean an actual Japanese copy, along with a super famicom to go with it. But I can't read japanese yet. (learning, I can read Hiragana now, but I don't know wtf I'm saying when I read it lol). If and when I ever am capable enough to fully read it though I'll be sure to let you guys know...That will probably not happen for a longass time though.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:42:20 AM »
Children of Mana sucks completely, don't bother getting it =_=

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:38 AM »
Really? I never heard that. I know lack of memory space is the reason why SD3 never got ported to North America though.

I have a copy of SD2, I mean an actual Japanese copy, along with a super famicom to go with it. But I can't read japanese yet. (learning, I can read Hiragana now, but I don't know wtf I'm saying when I read it lol). If and when I ever am capable enough to fully read it though I'll be sure to let you guys know...That will probably not happen for a longass time though.

I haven't either until recently (ctrl+f mana). After reading several interviews with Ted Woolsey, you really start to feel bad for him. :V

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:34:25 AM »
Try Legend of Valkyrie. Yeah, it's a stage based overhead run-n-gun, but somehow I feel that it has a "Mana aura" to it. As it happens, the elemental spirits are probably the prototypes for the Mana ones.

At this point, it's best to look elsewhere for a mana fix :P

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »
I like to pretend that there's nothing after Legend of Mana. :V

This.

Sword of Mana (the remake) wasn't bad.  Everything else ranges from mediocre to downright terrible.

They really need to write this series off as a lost cause and move on to milking other franchises.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
This.

Sword of Mana (the remake) wasn't bad.  Everything else ranges from mediocre to downright terrible.

They really need to write this series off as a lost cause and move on to milking other franchises.

or they can make a new one that doesn't deliberately...you know, try to cater to people who think teletubbies is too adult.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »
Try Legend of Valkyrie. Yeah, it's a stage based overhead run-n-gun, but somehow I feel that it has a "Mana aura" to it. As it happens, the elemental spirits are probably the prototypes for the Mana ones.

At this point, it's best to look elsewhere for a mana fix :P

link is dead, but I'll search for the name itself next time I have time (getting late and I still gotta take the doggie out), thanks for the suggestion!

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
I just tried it, and it works for me; that doesn't make any sense

Here's another video I guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-RD0kpn9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-RD0kpn9k&feature=related

Edit: I missed the "k"

Doesn't explain why the one in my first post works for me and not for you though.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:45:23 AM by erppc »

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
What happened to the series after LoM anyway?
 ???
People back in the day really ate up crystal chronicles. seemingly.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
I just tried it, and it works for me; that doesn't make any sense

Here's another video I guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-RD0kpn9

weird.. it says "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " for me.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
What happened to the series after LoM anyway?

some smart guy at square-enix decided that SoM's success was based on stuffing 6 year old characters from cuteemup games into an action adventure game all the while adding japanese rpg style mechanics that encourage long grinding to accomplish things, yet without having much challenge.

Seriously though, how did that series go from orphaned son with dead parents + girl with boyfriend who gets murdered by the bad guy after trying to save him for the whole damn game + mana tree gets toasted, etc end up being the pinnacle of "for young naieve gamers wanting barney and friends in adventure rpg format" games? I mean seriously. GAH.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
Legend of mana is such a good game...although I wish all of these game would involve the mana tree much earlier rather then near end game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
Legend of mana is such a good game...although I wish all of these game would involve the mana tree much earlier rather then near end game.

yeah LoM was dissapointing for me at first, but it really did grow on me later on. I personally wish the story was more grand, with less mini stories though. Particuarly since I'm not too fond of any of the chains excluding the one with the two dog dragoons, and the gem-people one (I forget the name of their race). I really disliked the rabbit merchent stuff and whatnot. The demon dude one had its moments of ups and downs, but I found that I disliked most of the dungeons and quests associated with it even though the story probably had the best potential.

The story of that game could be so great if it had one major one though imo. Because so much of that game is exceptionally immersive. I hate little kids in general, and goofy music. But the atmosphere in going to that magic school area is really well done. I also felt really heroic going thru the crimson dragon's castle (man that dungeon had some sweet music), etc.

snap, Imma get in the mood for this game again >=P.