Author Topic: Touhou Characters' Element Debate  (Read 29203 times)

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Touhou Characters' Element Debate
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
*Please explain your reasoning instead of listing it out*
*We are trying to discover what's the character's preference instead of what she know/have*
Base on the canon 7 elements fire, water, wood, earth, metal, sun, and moon. Debate which girl belong in which element(s)!

Element Description
Element in this Wu Xing system DOES NOT conflict each other, instead work with each other in harmony to create this world.

Wood: The growing of the matter, or the matter's growing stage.
+Water engenders Wood
-Wood begets Fire
Metal: The decline of the matter, or the matter's decline stage.
+Metal controls wood
-Metal is controlled by fire
Fire: The prosper of the matter, or the matter's prosper stage.
+Fire defeats Metal
+Water defeats Fire
Water: The low point of the matter, or the matter's dying or hiding stage.
+Water spawns wood
-Spawned by metal

Earth: The changing point of the matter.
Earth generally contains all elements including Fire, Water, Wood and Metal. (Mid/balance point of all five element)

Sun and Moon is not in the system, but it does represent by Ying and Yang system, which also work like the Earth above that govern everything include earth.

*Doesn't mean Earth, sun, and moon is more powerful than other*

This post will update all the current conclusion in alphabetic order.
--------------------------------------------------
Alice Margatroid - Metal + Fire
Fujiwara no Mokou - Fire
Iku Nagae - Wood + Sun
Kanako Yasaka - Water
Marisa Kirisame - Sun + Fire
Patchouli Knowledge - Fire + Water + Wood + Earth + Metal + Sun + Moon
Sakuya Izayoi - Metal + Moon
Suwako Moriya - Earth + Metal
Tenshi Hinanai - Earth
Yuka Kazami - Wood
Yuyuko Saigyouji - Earth
--------------------------------------------------

This is a seriously discussion where I hope each girl has a pageful of debate unless is very obvious or lots of supporting facts.

Should we take into account of the personality/nature, spellcard name, spell visual, etc.

Also feel free to clarify what the element is, for example moon would be darkness, etc.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:35:56 AM by shinyjam »

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
Re: Touhou Characters' Element Debate
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:25:19 AM »
Patchouli and Alice have all elements.

shinyjam

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »
I notice that, but I believe all magician start with understanding all element and pick the element(s) they prefer to master in.

In Merisa case, she prefer Light and Heat magic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:29:43 AM by shinyjam »

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:54 AM »
I notice that, but I believe all magician start with learning all element and pick the element they prefer to master in.

In Merisa case, she prefer Light and Heat magic.
I think Patchouli prefer darkness and combine it with the rest of 5 elements. I guessed that based on her fondness to darkness, she always locked herself in underground library.

For Alice, I guessed she prefer Metal and Fire. Her dolls attack in SWR use sharp metallic weapons and she can make her dolls explode too.

shinyjam

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »
I think Patchouli prefer darkness and combine it with the rest of 5 elements. I guessed that based on her fondness to darkness, she always locked herself in underground library.

For Alice, I guessed she prefer Metal and Fire. Her dolls attack in SWR use sharp metallic weapons and she can make her dolls explode too.
Haven't research enough on Patchouli to argue with that, but it's possible she keep it underground just because it will preserve the books better or other reasons.

For Alice, what do you think about wood element? Her doll probably made of wood too...and what her doll holding doesn't necessary reflect her element. Can't argue with doll exploding though. XD

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:43:47 AM »
Haven't research enough on Patchouli to argue with that, but it's possible she keep it underground just because it will preserve the books better.

For Alice, what do you think about wood element? Her doll probably made of wood too...and what her doll holding doesn't necessary reflect her element. Can't argue with doll exploding though. XD
Patchouli should be has balanced elements power, that is the first thing that came to my mind.

If I look at her dolls (Shanghai and Hourai), there is no way her doll made from wood. Beside, Alice's dolls didn't hold anything instead, their weapons are materialized from Alice magic energy.

shinyjam

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:47:14 AM »
Oh, thanks for the details. I guess I will add to the list until new facts appear.

Anyway, Merisa said she prefer Light and Heat magic, anything you want to add?

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 04:50:33 AM »
Oh, thanks for the details. I guess I will add to the list until new facts appear.

Anyway, Merisa said she prefer Light and Heat magic, anything you want to add?
I agreed on Marisa's elements. Her hakkero can emit heat energy and she blast that heat energy using light as emitter, that's how the Master Spark works. Plus, Marisa also uses stars as her danmaku bullet in IN and SWR, that also support the fact that she uses a lot of light elements.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:55:21 AM »
Even still, the properties of Wood sounds fairly close to Alice.

Reimu: Earth/Sun
Marisa: Fire/Sun

Rumia: Moon
Cirno: Water
Meiling: Earth, possibly Sun
Patchy: Er, all of them
Sakuya: Metal
Remilia: Moon

Letty: Water
Chen: Sun
Prismrivers: Metal
Youmu: Wood/Metal
Yuyuko: Water
Ran: Sun
Yukari: Moon

Wriggle: Wood
Mystia: Moon
Keine: Water
Tewi: Earth/Wood
Reisen: Dunno. Fire/Moon?
Eirin: Moon/Metal
Kaguya: Moon/Earth
Mokou: derp derp Fire

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 04:59:18 AM »
Yukari would do both sun and moon so as to manipulate the border between them and somehow make it stronger.

Or something.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

shinyjam

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
Reimu:
Shine Maiden = Witch girl, yet she use Talisman paper to exorcist demon(Note: Not exorcist evil). (Moon/Sun)
Ying-Yang orb = Light and darkness orb, only her Bloodline can use it. (Moon/Sun)

Aya Shameimaru wind power should be represent by what element? Or should I add it as an element?

Yukari would do both sun and moon so as to manipulate the border between them and somehow make it stronger.
Not too convince on that, I think you are influence by other game that extreme opposite element conflict will rip open a portal to another dimension?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:24:28 AM by shinyjam »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:20 AM »
Actually I've never played a game involving stuff like this. >.>
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
the most obvious ones:

Patchouli: Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, Metal, Light, Darkness
Alice: Fire, Darkness
Reimu: Light, Darkness
Marisa: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
Utsuho Reiuzi = Fire + Earth

Utsuho is Living at underground, it is natural to have earth element. Combined it with Fire, she can make her fire attack have quite masses.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
i disagree, Fire and Earth dun mix.

If u mind Fire and Wind I dun quite mind.

Someone has to theorize what is atomic power characterized under.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »

If u mind Fire and Wind I dun quite mind.

Someone has to theorize what is atomic power characterized under.
It is simple, atomic power is need fuel and those fuel are radioactive materials. Radioactive materials such as plutonium and uranium are mined from earth so it is natural that atomic power inherits earth element characteristic. Those radioactive materials' atoms fuse each other and creating explosion that we know as fire element.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »
Wind. nooklear weponz generate blastwaves.

Gpop

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
Utsuho Reiuzi = Sun + Fire + Earth

There, better.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
Utsuho Reiuzi = Sun + Fire + Earth + WIIIINNDDDD
Fixed the fix.

Herasy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »
Marisa: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Marisa: LOVE

With how much she uses the power of love in her spell cards, it might as well be a canon element.

Drake

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
cardcaptors of the clow expect the unexpected now
fixed^4

I don't think Darkness is a canon element. The only references are Rumia and Mystia, but that's more of abilities, rather.

shinyjam

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »
Once again, I will ignore any LISTING and go for those that have reasoning in it.

Quote from: alice
Utsuho is Living at underground, it is natural to have earth element. Combined it with Fire, she can make her fire attack have quite masses.
I don't think we should factor living environment into account, otherwise Alice live in the forest, then she would have wood element too.

Quote from: wrathie
This is eastern asia elemental system, like Ying and Yang, opposite element can mix.

It is simple, atomic power is need fuel and those fuel are radioactive materials. Radioactive materials such as plutonium and uranium are mined from earth so it is natural that atomic power inherits earth element characteristic. Those radioactive materials' atoms fuse each other and creating explosion that we know as fire element.
Base on all these, don't you think Reiuji should be Metal element instead of earth? Since all those are metal.

Quote from: Drake
I don't think Darkness is a canon element. The only references are Rumia and Mystia, but that's more of abilities, rather.
First post, the listed 7 elements is the canon one, darkness would be represent by MOON.

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
Lava/Magma, ever heard of it. Stuff can burn the hell out of you even though it comes from the earth.

Meh a few, of my own...

Kisume - Fire/Water
Yamame - Earth (given)
Parsee - JEALOUSY Water/Moon(?)*
Yuugi - Earth (perhaps Steel as well? I dunno I'm thinking she could have another element to her, but dunno which one would fit best)

*I say Moon for it's been told that darkness is represented by Moon, not sure if it fits in anyone elses eyes but I think it does. Feel free to pick it apart at will.

Quintafeira12

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
Nitori: Water

*runs away*

Albel

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »
Iku is an obvious one, since she only has lightning based attacks, her element is the lightning.
Tenshi's power is the "manipulation of land", so she belongs to the earth category, Mokou is burning like hell so she's a fire one.
Yuka... maybe wood, she's the flower master of the four seasons, and because of her powers she's almost like the embodiement of nature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:55:36 PM by Albel »

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
If I look at her dolls (Shanghai and Hourai), there is no way her doll made from wood. Beside, Alice's dolls didn't hold anything instead, their weapons are materialized from Alice magic energy.
in SA, Alice's dolls do contain gunpowder: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Subterranean_Animism:_Marisa_and_Alice%27s_Scenario#Stage_5
(in b4 Miss Marisa! Look! I'm shooting! I'm..)

my guess:
- Yuka = wood+sun (sun, because of the attacks involving lasers; though there's an unused ending theme for LLS, Crescent Dream, so, it could be moon instead)
- Suwako = earth+water+metal (she can produce earth, has a Fountain of Math sc and an iron ring sc)
- Kanako = wind+water (she can create sky, is a goddess of wind and rain)

there are also other elements or systems here, for those who may be interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
I always thought Marisa used Moon, Sun and Star as her elements. Doesn't her spellcircle uses those symbols?

Also, from Meiling's stronger cards, I'd think she'd be water elemental. Typhoon and Rain

I also think Darkness should be related to Moon. Rumia's powers become null at moonless nights, right?
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
Cirno - Water
Patchy - All
Sakuya - Metal
Remilia - Moon

Youmu - Metal

Tei - Wood
Reisen - Moon
Kaguya - Moon
Mokou - Fire

Yuka - Earth, Wood
Komachi - Metal

Iku - Wood (Lightning is associated with Wood.  See also: Sailor Jupiter)
Tenshi - Earth

shinyjam

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Quote from: Alice
- Yuka = wood+sun (sun, because of the attacks involving lasers; though there's an unused ending theme for LLS, Crescent Dream, so, it could be moon instead)
I think ending theme have nothing to do with it. :p

I guess laser = sun then.

- Suwako = earth+water+metal (she can produce earth, has a Fountain of Math sc and an iron ring sc)
Have to agree with the goddess of earth, but metal just happens to be inside the earth, not sure about water and she did lost to kanako(water) . Not sure how she able to control Mishaguji(dark) though.

Edit: Ah her ancient war story she use metal weapon which rusted by Kanoko, I guess she can bring out of lot metal or something.

- Kanako = wind+water (she can create sky, is a goddess of wind and rain)
Not sure where to put wind, water is noted.

there are also other elements or systems here, for those who may be interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element
It pretty much can be anything at this rate, although I prefer to follow the system of Touhou, but if everyone think I should add new stuff, I am fine with it.

Iku is an obvious one, since she only has lightning based attacks, her element is the lightning.
Quote from: aya
(Lightning is associated with Wood.  See also: Sailor Jupiter)
k, I will add it until someone have better facts.

Tenshi's power is the "manipulation of land", so she belongs to the earth category, Mokou is burning like hell so she's a fire one.
Agree

Yuka... maybe wood, she's the flower master of the four seasons, and because of her powers she's almost like the embodiement of nature.
I will go with wood, since it represent growth.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:48:21 PM by shinyjam »

Drake

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »
I think these classifications are being based entirely on the character's abilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Please fix.