Author Topic: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin  (Read 23004 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
Gage was the second one you mentioned, the one with good music.  You're thinking of Waylon.

Tabitha's theme was pretty decent too.

The COs in this game weren't very well-balanced at all IMO...

perhaps not but their area of affect was watered down enough so that they didn't make or break the game so badly as it did in previous AV games imo.

I remember when I first tried advance wars, my fave co was grit. And I thought he was the clear cut best (other than sturm). Everyone was telling me no I'm wrong. Nowdays people agree that grit is madly op, along with colin, and uhh.. umm. I forget (or was it just sturm)... OH, that black market shop guy.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
My second forum was for AW, so I've heard a lot about competitive play and game mechanics (though AWBW's lack of a B button was frustrating).  Did you know Deaninator?  He's really cool.

If I made an AW clone I'm confident I could make it thoroughly balanced, and I've thought about doing it a couple times, but I've got other stuff on my plate.
Have you heard of Custom Wars?  One of its many flaws was a philosophical one: they couldn't get everyone balanced while still keeping them recognizable.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of AW game gets made next; I don't think they can continue the current setting since a lot of the COs die in DoR  :D
The producers said they hadn't completely given up on the previous continuity.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »
Have you heard of Custom Wars?  One of its many flaws was a philosophical one: they couldn't get everyone balanced while still keeping them recognizable.

I actually helped with Custom Wars! Late in its development before it went belly up anyway. Early on it was crap, but the later betas were turning out to be pretty playable. Basically once the engine was developed enough to actually playtest the thing everyone started to realize how broken most of the custom content was and what a bad idea it was to scale up the average CO strength, then some major changes and content cuts started coming in and making things much better. But everyone lost interest once we hit the brick wall that was developing campaign (and thus AI), and we didn't come even close to making deadlines we set for ourselves, AND DoR was looming on the horizon to completely overshadow it, so basically it was a complete morale death and it died quietly.

I think we had some pretty good ideas on how to change up COs while maintaining their core ideas, for instance making Grit's +1 range a very cheap COP (1 or 2 stars) rather than a D2D ability, so he could have it often but not always. Or making Javier drop his tower thing and focus on his mighty defense against indirects.

Aaaanyway if I was gonna make an AW Clone I would just make a new cast of COs and not bother with a story. It'd just be a game to play with friends, and maybe a War Room if I could manage an AI.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
I blame the downfall of Custom Wars on a few factors:

1.  Too much not team members wanting to help, namely the shit load of COs everyone wanted to invent, which grinded the work to a slow crawl.

2.  Impatience, reworded to, fuck you reddragon13.  More importantly, a lack of tabs being kept on the general staff.

3.  Judge system, they shot down everything, but some how, as Stuffman said, broken COs seemed to continue to walk right in.  And then there's the near useless hovercraft which infantry were more than able to pop a hole in with their guns.

Yeah, I was Andynator (Did I use that name at one point?  >_O) over there, but didn't manage to really help the project, so I eventually jumped ship.  Still, the project seemed to revive as the last update was May 9th, not even a month ago, so I'm glad that even after all of this, the project is still going.  Hope they'll manage it better this time.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »
Yeah last I checked they restarted CW with the intent of starting fresh and making it a sort of AW MUGEN.

Also geez you're Andynator? I've known you for longer than I thought then.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 11:34:37 PM »
Yeah last I checked they restarted CW with the intent of starting fresh and making it a sort of AW MUGEN.

Also geez you're Andynator? I've known you for longer than I thought then.

Yeah, I think I've changed a bit.  So who are you then?  (Guesses ChessMaster)

Sean

• The Disturbed Leader of Four Against Nature
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »
I think DoR is an improvement overall in terms of design. However it hurts to play somewhat because it just has less stuff, less units, less cos, less tiles, etc..

Ah, I KNEW there was something I was forgetting. You're right, it does seem to have less in general. I remember that hurting my first impression of the game a  tad, and then I just...adapted to the differences after a while.
This Signature only existed in my mind.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Yeah, I think I've changed a bit.  So who are you then?  (Guesses ChessMaster)

I've always gone by Stuffman wherever I went.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
I didn't know this was turning into a reunion topic.  (Ramus gave me the shock of his life when he IDd me pretty easily here.  I guess I'm distinctive?)  I watched CW from the sidelines because back then I was persona non grata there and a number of other places  <.<

Right, except I think uru said that he didn't necessarily want to keep it strictly AW.
Either way, that seems nasty to implement considering the flaws the latest version of CW had with its existing COs.  I programmed my own COs into it (not easy if you know how elaborate my visions get), and wound up fixing flaws in the original code along the way.

To that end part of the problem seemed like only two or three people were doing the main coding on a site that had a bunch of hands on deck (CW wasn't meant to be a social forum).

Nyeh, more power to them.  I've got some unfinished business with custom AW stuff that I may get to one of these months; Mafia has basically been my reason for being on the Internet for the past few months. :v

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
Guys, guys. I've got a great idea.

Like, take Advance Wars...and make everything into loli. All the COs, loli. All the units, loli. Like Gadget Trial, but less terrible gameplay-wise.

Loli makes everything better.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »
LoliTanks?  LoliBombers?  We All Live In A Loli Submarine?  Tasha-loli?  Isabella-loli?  Waylon-loNO NO NO NO BAD IDEA

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 01:59:29 AM »

"You know it ain't a party 'til I arrive, oniichan! I mean, brother man!"

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 02:56:02 AM »
...this is the first time I haven't even been able to think of words to describe my reaction.  I'll tell you when I come out of shock.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »
Go for the encore - Brenner loli!
Or Lin loli for maximum HNNNNNNNNGH.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »
The three previous Advance Wars were so blatantly childish and petulant that I had to struggle to get through each level because I knew there would be more idiocy between them.  While the gameplay is fundamentally the same, DoR was just so much more FUN.  And had WAY better music.  Lin's theme is actually my favorite, Forsythe's is when I figured out that this was the same composer as Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Gage's is cool, Tabitha's is awesome, and there were some other good ones in there.

And Stuffman: that picture is already haunting me.  Dear Lord, WHY did you do that?!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »

As long as there's loli life, there's hope!

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46:50 AM »
You turned Brenner into Yotsuba (Futaba?). Wow.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:31:17 AM by N-Forza »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
although the unit leveling was a nice touch.
Something I very much so missed, and it's done better here.
--------
Ramus, it's a pleasure.
--------
154792-355162

Shoot me a PM and I might come to it. I'm don't think I'm very good.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:05:54 PM by lgb »
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
*Epic face palms*

I don't know, yes for AW1, 2, and DS, but Days of Ruin chibi?  Just, er, not so fitting.

Also, to the above, oy!