Author Topic: osu!  (Read 41288 times)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
osu!
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
Well, we have a touhou topic on the osu! boards; might as well have an osu! topic on the touhou boards, neh?

http://osu.ppy.sh

osu! is a freeware PC version of a popular series of DS games, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Elite Beat Agents.  Using mouse or tablet is a bit of a higher learning curve than a stylus and touchscreen, but since all the maps are user-made, most of them are generally possible for both.

I know at least three other people on these boards who play (if only because they have their bars on their signatures), and I know I've told at least a couple of people about who I am in the game.

I've really gotten rusty since I stopped playing frequently about half a year ago.  Beatmaps that I used to clear no problem with S ranks now have a few misses in them, and usually end up with B ranks.

Gaah the top score is in the 4 billions, I don't even have 1 billion...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:25:54 PM by Sol »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: osu!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
Heh.

I had never heard of this game until your topic, but it looks like my guess of what it is was spot on.

I've fallen out of rhythm games for the most part, but Ouendan/EBA is great fun.  Perhaps I'll take a look at some point.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »
Quote from: Cyclone
(i guess i should probably start an osu! thread or something instead of coming back to the intro thread and making it completely off topic, eh?)

Oh, hey, what's up.

I'll just drop this here like i did in the intro thread.

If anybody is looking to see how the game looks, etc., here's a couple videos i made of me playing touhou songs(an entire album in fact):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRaCKaGQu0&feature=channel_page

I'm also making a touhou skin for the game currently (which i haven't released yet) which is looking to be heavily PCB and SWR based.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
Wait, is it clicking or just running the mouse over the numbers?

I want to play it but it seems like clicking would be a hassle. :\

OT: Is that considered medium difficulty?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:46:18 PM by Kangetu Musaka »

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
osu is awesome

yup, clicking. it just takes getting used to
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:57:13 PM by doomsday93 »

Gpop

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, I should try it out. I've known this for quite a while, and I know a few others over at FFR who plays this (Xiao lol).

The mouse is probably something I'll have to get used to first. But hey, I managed well from a DDR pad to keyboard for stepmania =/.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »

I want to play it but it seems like clicking would be a hassle. :\

OT: Is that considered medium difficulty?

The maps in my videos are actually very high on the difficulty scale.

Also you can use keys on your keyboard to "click" the notes, instead of actually clicking. This is how i play.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »
osu is awesome
yup, clicking. it just takes getting used to
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/18983

o.o

Might try it, but the requirements say 512 MB of RAM. I have 256MB. But that hasn't stopped me from playing games before.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »
I'm also making a touhou skin for the game currently (which i haven't released yet) which is looking to be heavily PCB and SWR based.

Maybe that will get me back to playing the game again...  I believe Drake has the SFX if you don't already have them.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:41:02 AM »
Maybe that will get me back to playing the game again...  I believe Drake has the SFX if you don't already have them.

They weren't exactly hard to obtain. (start touhou, turn off music, start recording, move stuff around.)

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/18983

o.o
compared to Cyclone, my stats aren't really impressive

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
compared to Cyclone, my stats aren't really impressive
Is that so?

...I guess that is so. =V

And then I managed to get a B instead of a C. Hurray! >_> I suck.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Osu on Ds is awesome Both 1 and 2 i used to play them a lot in the past especially 2 which has the hidden option on it i stoped playing an 1.5 year ago when the game was not a challenge i cleared all stages perfect on hidden/insane diff and most of them S rank. EBA was diiferent bus tsil fun
on the otherr hand the PC one> simple sux sorry guys thats the true!

Gpop

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Hey is there any chance to play this game on my DS with an R4 game card? That'd be awesome.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
on the otherr hand the PC one> simple sux sorry guys thats the true!

Think you could elaborate on that a bit?

I'm not actually offended in any way, but as part of the osu! staff(well..  if you could call me that. I'm technically only in charge of approving songs for ranked status), It would help to know of anything that could help make the game better.

Hey is there any chance to play this game on my DS with an R4 game card? That'd be awesome.

I know there has been talk of people trying to code this for the DS, but unfortunately i have no idea how much progress they've made on it, or even if they are still working on it.

Anyways, I've been working on a number of touhou related songs for the game, so i'll let you guys know how that goes.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »
sure.
pc :
+: new songs and more  than what the 3 games can give at total.
- : the feeling and gameplay the touch screen gives cant be compared.

if u can hack the ds version or make a new one for it and add more songs taht would be awesome

if u talk about the original games then yes u can play with r4 i have it too if u talk about the one for the PC no u cant it is for pc
also since u got a r4 +ds i suggest to give a try Rhythm Tenkoku gold!(which was recently released in USA as Rhythm heaven)

Gpop

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
if u talk about the original games then yes u can play with r4 i have it too if u talk about the one for the PC no u cant it is for pc
also since u got a r4 +ds i suggest to give a try Rhythm Tenkoku gold!(which was recently released in USA as Rhythm heaven)

I owned the JP version of Rhythm Tengoko Gold and the 3 Ouendan games for quite some time now. All are fun. I perfected every mini-game in RTG because it's so damn addicting.

Of course I'm talking about the PC Osu! to be played for the DS. I know they did it for Stepmania already.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
- : the feeling and gameplay the touch screen gives cant be compared.

The game can be played on a Tablet PC, as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYltsFK-3Y

However Tablet PCs are incredibly expensive, so there's no real solution. Sorry.  :-\

Gpop

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 10:06:38 PM »
Oh man I would rather play with tablets > mouse, because I play too much Ouendan -_-

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:12 AM »
You can use a regular tablet just the same. I don't actually have one so i can't provide an example of how it would look. A lot of players use one though.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
if im not mistaken, you still need to drag the cursor while using a tablet/tabletPC.

i've never used one though, so i can't report on what its like to play with. still love to try one out though

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
if im not mistaken, you still need to drag the cursor while using a tablet/tabletPC.

Only during sliders and spinners. You can literally make the mouse jump from one side to the other by lifting up and placing back down on the other side.

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 02:24:56 AM »
With the #2 and #5 here

My stats is nothing...... :'(

Break anything that stands between you and them!

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 03:56:12 AM »
Heh...I'm like #24000. I just started around two days ago. =|

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 06:04:09 AM »
With the #2 and #5 here

My stats is nothing...... :'(

I should take 1st back, but i'm far too lazy.

Also, don't get discouraged. It's a difficult game to get used to.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
I should take 1st back, but i'm far too lazy.

Also, don't get discouraged. It's a difficult game to get used to.
This.  Unlike Ouendan, osu has an extremely high learning curve and a low loss curve (meaning it's easy to lose skill).

Speaking of rankings, I'm kind of surprised one of my scores is still at number 1 despite being there for, what, seven months? 

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »
You can literally make the mouse jump from one side to the other by lifting up and placing back down on the other side.
that would look pretty epic in replays

Speaking of rankings, I'm kind of surprised one of my scores is still at number 1 despite being there for, what, seven months? 
which map?

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
that would look pretty epic in replays

I believe in replays you see a smooth motion however.(just a really fast one is all)

Gpop

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
If I'm going to download Osu! which songs/packs should I get, and whose map of it? And where can I retrieve them? (Too lazy to search it up myself -_-).

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Generally if you just start at the top of the pack list you should be fine. By that i mean the most recent packs. The earliest ones are held up by old standards and are difficult to play. There is a thread somewhere on the forums that serves as a beginners guide(what maps to play, etc.)

i dunno where that thread is currently, but i believe the pack is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xzxq5ovuupq

feel free to contact me on the game  :P