Author Topic: Azure's scripts (recent: Skies of Insanity, plus Merlin player v2)  (Read 18340 times)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
Quick links:

Skies of Insanity (stage)
Lymia* (boss)
Cirno (player)
Merlin (player)
* You need the shot replace script which is linked to in this thread for Lymia. Everything else uses my own custom shots, so it's not needed.

Updates:

Two new things. First off, Merlin v.2. Damage has been adjusted, and the shots are now easier to read the direction of (the bullets are more transparent, but they fire from familiars, which are easy to see).

The more important thing is Skies of Insanity, a complete stage with an entirely new midboss and boss. I don't know how to describe it, so here's Naut instead:

<Naut> Holy fuck
<Azure> Is that a good thing?
<Naut> very
<Azure> Any specific comments?
<Naut> yeah
<Naut> holy fuck

I'm planning to make a full game, and this is stage 5. Why'd I start with stage 5? Because Arc makes for some really awesome danmaku. Bosses that screw with your head are always the best kind.

OLD UPDATES

My old thread's way at the bottom right now, so I figured I'd just start a new one and update it when I have a release. I'll start with the small one, my Cirno player - a slightly-improved version of the one released in the other thread, plus an alternate shot type.

* Warning: If you hate fluffy things, bright colors, or happy music, you're probably better off leaving the thread now

And for the bigger release, it's an entirely new boss (4 spells and 3 nonspells, each with 3 difficulty settings and plural scripts to run them). It's Lymia, and even though I don't think any of you know who she is, you can agree that she's really cute. But that doesn't matter, since now she wants to have a danmaku battle with you!

Download link. (You need the shot replace script which is linked to in this thread.)
I also included a few other miscellaneous scripts I made for some variety. All of those only have one difficulty, though. I might expand on them later, but for now, just consider it a bonus.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:05:38 PM by Azure »

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
Re: Azure's scripts (recent: full Lymia boss and Cirno player)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
I really love your Cirno B.

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
Lymia crashes D8

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:39:55 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that you need the shot replace scripts. Sorry about that.

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »
Hmm..Does the script work if you delete the // in the line where it says ExpandedshotData/shot_replace.dnh?

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:56:48 AM »
I have both types of the shot replace scripts in two lines next to each other, so I can just comment out the one I don't want to use. This set of scripts all uses the first one linked in this thread. It should work fine as-is if you have that in the correct folder. If not, either you have that in the wrong place or I forgot a file, but I double-checked everything... (then again, I forgot the download link in my first thread, so I guess I can be forgetful sometimes...)

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
I'm currently working on a full stage (and it might even turn into a full game if I get enough time and support), but I took a small break for another player character. This time it's Merlin Prismriver, based on what I think her PoFV iteration would be like at full power. She's hard to use, but hits a wide area with her shots, making her ideal for stages. And she even comes with an alternate palette if you hold control when selecting her!
(It was the best use for my programming class, considering it's teaching a language I already know...)

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
Re: Azure's scripts (recent: Merlin player, and stage in progress)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
I really like how the Merlin player turned out...& I'm glad someone finally made her in Danmakufu cause she's a favorite of mine...well done. 
Can't really rate based on her character since I haven't got the chance to unlock her in PoFV yet...but from my perspective I like how it turned out...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 12:37:29 AM »
Favourite script for now is Rumia Lymia.

Reminds me of the art of someone I know...

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »
Raiiibys

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 02:25:39 AM »
Raiiibys
Don't be silly, I'm already doing that:

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 02:46:30 AM »
Don't be silly, I'm already doing that:

Verryy. Like the artwork of someone I know.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:15:50 AM »
The Merlin is a pretty good start.

- It would look better if her shots were coming out of some options rather than thin air, and easier to read the rotation.
- Damage is kind of high for a wide spread shot.
- Bombs look great! But have wonky random damage due to small hitboxes. Probably want to increase the size of them and tweak their damage to make them more consistent.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:44:53 AM »
Regarding the shots coming out of air, that's how it is in PoFV, and I think it looks fine. I'll make it easier to read the rotation though, since it's harder to aim than I intended. Having high damage is meant to compensate for how hard it is to use effectively on bosses (I meant this to be a "stage character" rather than a "boss character"), but do you still think it's too much? Finally, I didn't test the bomb damage against small enemies, only against bosses that have big hitboxes, so I didn't notice how small they actually were. (They're smaller than the graphic itself... whoops.)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 05:53:55 AM »
Well, focused it does ~250 DPS, the same as Marisa A, and it's not really any harder to aim than Sakuya B was in PCB, but it also hits all over the place so it will usually be doing at least some damage even when it's aimed funny. Also, the aiming can be considered as much an advantage as a disadvantage since it allows you to attack at full power from unusual angles.

I don't think it needs to be reduced a lot, just probably down to about 230 so it's not outclassing the straight shooters.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
Two new things. First off, Merlin v.2. Damage has been adjusted, and the shots are now easier to read the direction of (the bullets are more transparent, but they fire from familiars, which are easy to see).

The more important thing is Skies of Insanity, a complete stage with an entirely new midboss and boss. I don't know how to describe it, so here's Naut instead:

<Naut> Holy fuck
<Azure> Is that a good thing?
<Naut> very
<Azure> Any specific comments?
<Naut> yeah
<Naut> holy fuck

I'm planning to make a full game, and this is stage 5. Why'd I start with stage 5? Because Arc makes for some really awesome danmaku. Bosses that screw with your head are always the best kind.

Re: Azure's scripts (recent: Skies of Insanity, plus Merlin player v2)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
...Okay, that was epic. Few things I would like to address:

First of all,
Spoiler:
the disorientation spell is cheap. The only indication of what the scramble is at a given moment is actually trying it out, and with the walls flying everywhere, you don't have any room for on-the-fly experimentation. Perhaps if the weird spike things coming out of the player could change color to indicate the status of the scramble...

And I just can't figure out how the last spell works, despite having played through it twice.

Anyways, the enemy graphics were neat, the boss' appearance and animation was cool and stylized, and I like the new score tabulation you made. But the new HUD elements are in the same teeny-weeny annoying size as the rate and bonus text. I know this display isn't normal, and I've submitted a query to the danmakufu questions topic(with no response), but Concealed the Conclusion was able to display text over the playfield without this happening to it... Is it possible for you to set the on-field HUD's font to something different to fix it or something?

...and is it me, or is Merlin's hitbox really, really big?

Anyways, I had a lot of fun with this script, and I look forward to this game you're making.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »
Spoiler:
Perhaps if the weird spike things coming out of the player could change color to indicate the status of the scramble...
They do change appearance... plus they switch at a fixed rate, play a sound, AND there's only two possible statuses, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what's going on. There's about ten seconds at the beginning of the script with no bullets (the boss doesn't even have a hitbox), so just figure it out there.

And I just can't figure out how the last spell works, despite having played through it twice.
Duality (the one with red and blue bullets and your position being fixed), or Domination (the actual Last Spell)? If it's the second, then everything is fixed, and there isn't really much to "figure out." If it's the first, then just imagine your controls being normal for the red bullets but reversed for the blue ones. Play around in "spell practice" for a while to get the hang of it. It's supposed to be hard, but if you die it's your own fault - there's no way it will ever form a solid wall, you just messed up your movement somehow.

the new HUD elements are in the same teeny-weeny annoying size as the rate and bonus text. I know this display isn't normal, and I've submitted a query to the danmakufu questions topic(with no response), but Concealed the Conclusion was able to display text over the playfield without this happening to it... Is it possible for you to set the on-field HUD's font to something different to fix it or something?
I don't know how to fix that, but that display isn't actually important anyway - the number of slashes is just how many spells you've captured (bottom) and how many you've timeouted (top). CtC probably uses images for everything, which would be possible, but a lot harder to modify and work with.

...and is it me, or is Merlin's hitbox really, really big?
It might be... I didn't know what the "normal" hitbox size is, since you can't access the original Reimu and Marisa scripts. It didn't feel too bad, though. Maybe it's because of my new shot graphics instead of Merlin?

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely the "gimmickiest" boss in the game, so don't think I'm going to have everything as reality-bending as this. I just thought it would make things interesting if the danmaku looked really easy, but you end up dying to it anyway - sorry if any of it seemed cheap, but it shouldn't be a problem after one or two playthroughs.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 02:33:02 AM »
They do change appearance... plus they switch at a fixed rate, play a sound, AND there's only two possible statuses, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what's going on. There's about ten seconds at the beginning of the script with no bullets (the boss doesn't even have a hitbox), so just figure it out there.

Huh. It seemed to just be two states when I played on the normal level, but it felt like there were mixed scramble states on star at first, like regular up/down with scrambled right/left. I went back to it, toggled invincibility, and held down two arrow keys to see... and yeah, only two states. I was aware of the sound triggering the change though, it was just that I thought there was more than one state, and I thought a visual cue could help determine which. Whoops.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 04:14:36 AM »

I HAVE JUST BEEN RAPED IN SO MANY WAYS

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »
am i the only one who downloaded this and didnt get a stage txt?

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 05:34:26 AM »
Everyone else did, so that's strange. Did you extract it right into the script\ directory? (It should work anywhere, but that's where I'm absolutely sure it works.) If you're trying to reach it with the directory option, it's in the "s5" subfolder.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »
am i the only one who downloaded this and didnt get a stage txt?

See

The more important thing is Skies of Insanity, a complete stage with an entirely new midboss and boss.

It might be... I didn't know what the "normal" hitbox size is, since you can't access the original Reimu and Marisa scripts. It didn't feel too bad, though. Maybe it's because of my new shot graphics instead of Merlin?

Radius of 0. Yeah, seriously. It'll default to a quasi-quantum singularity so you can still be hit, despite calling a "non-existant" hitbox.

Also, you should edit your first post to include the skies of instanity demo so people who are too fucking lazy to read the thread can still see your amazing script.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 05:42:44 AM »
It's set to 1 right now. Does adding one pixel make it "really, really big" like he said?

Also yeah, that's a good idea, plus I should get screenshots. Is anyone willing/able to record this, by the way? Any difficulty is fine, just try not to die/bomb too much.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 05:46:54 AM »
Is anyone willing/able to record this, by the way? Any difficulty is fine, just try not to die/bomb too much.
You know what you must do Naut

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 06:04:17 AM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! SERIOUSLY JUST GOT FREAKING RAPED!!! (weird that I used 2 continues at moon and only 1 at star though)

only bad thing I have to say is that it caused rather huge slowdown here...

still AWESOME
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
Wow, really impressive. You take danmakufu to another level.

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
Awesome!!!!

The enemy are really durable.
I still need a lot of practice for Logic Brake.... oTL~

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 04:25:00 AM »
This is beautiful!

Love the visual effects.

Raibys

• The Little Green Guy
    • SMWCentral
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:55 AM »
Arc, the Cyber of Illusions

Ender, the Cyber of Loss

Lymia

All of these are original characters of my own design. I am greatly honored that they have been brought to life in such a superb fashion (especially considering I can't last a second doing programming of any kind, plus the fact that I didn't even ask for this at all!)

I love you so much, Azure! ^_^ (then again, you've already known that for a long time though)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:43:54 AM by Raibys »