Author Topic: Touhou "_______"; Luminous Wings of Cold Steel  (Read 49672 times)

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
Re: Touhou "_______"; Luminous Wings of Cold Steel
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »
I think I see? I could have it so that manual camera control is set to the mouse, but will still automatically follow the normal flight path when left alone for a moment, but then that brings up the problem of 3-D movement... I could use arrow keys in conjuntion with A,S,D,W directionalities? Q and E could firing options?

I think I should make you clear about game development project. First of all, don't expect to make your AAA game on your first attempt. You wouldn't complete it even on 50th attempt or so. Try to make simple game like Pong first then, start to learn how to make NES clone until you get the basic ideas. Attempting to make this kind of game on your first time will only stress you out.

You can make everything you want on your game, just depend on your logic and programming skill. XNA and C# capabilities are beyond your imagination, everything can be done with proper techniques and skills. To get more technical detail on this project, you should know how to implement:
1. 2D Graphics
2. 3D Graphics
3. Artificial Intelligence
4. Waypoint
5. Collisions Detections
6. Complex Geometry Shapes Modeling
7. 3D Objects Movement using Matrices Model
8. Physics
9. Postprocessing
10. Shaders
11. Content Pipeline

If you don't have any idea about what I've mentioned above, then you should follow my advice to start on simple game. Then learn about each feature carefully and try to implement it in effective way. No one want to play game with crappy performance, that's why it is essential to learn about effective implementation on that features.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
:words:
This is where this part of the conversation ends. Nobody really gives a damn if you're one person, two people, or twenty people. At this point, the burden that lies on you is to show us any level of product of this game, not to prove that you're some random person with a Gaia account that may or may not be his own girlfriend. Just ignore anything that comes from it at this point, and carry on with the subject at hand.

Edit: I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, unlike Edible down there. Do not address either of these posts. Pretend they did not happen and move on.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:54:44 PM by Letty Whiterock »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
This is where this part of the conversation ends. Nobody really gives a damn if you're one person, two people, or twenty people. At this point, the burden that lies on you is to show us any level of product of this game, not to prove that you're some random person with a Gaia account that may or may not be his own girlfriend. Just ignore anything that comes from it at this point, and carry on with the subject at hand.

Pretty much this.  I could care less about you in real life, but claiming to be multiple people involved in a project when you're actually only one person merely indicates that you're attempting to be more than you are, and attempting to imply that your project is larger and more organized than it is.  The only way around either is to actually show proof of concept.

Toasty

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »
words

Actually, if they use the freespace 2 open engine, i think they pretty much have all that, only shaders were experimental last i checked.

The code for it is mostly things like:
-abridged edition-
#shipname
$details     variable
+additional   variable
#end

Written into .tbl files and then compressed, along with other game data, into .vps.

The rest is modeling and texturing your ships (using as few textures as possible, seriously, converting them to .pof and setting things like viewpoints, weapon points, the hitbox, shinemap/glowmap/bumpmap/normalmap textures, and making the effects for weapons and explosions. And customization of the engine, if you can. Oh and yeah, it has lua script support. basically, if you want a nice looking full fledged game, using an established engine really speeds things up.

Engine here (chose your version wisely, don't be afraid to ask around): http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=4e6a2fff1559c1439774b9324a937cd0&board=50.0
Howto stuff here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Modding

I hope noone kills me for linking to another forum :V

Melanthios

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:49 AM »
Hello... (echo... echo... echo...)
Umm... do I count as being 'on the project'? Ally is always bugging me about it in other places on the net, and that's really the only reason I'm here in the first place. (because she kept bugging me, and finally I cracked under the pressure of her constant nagging.)

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »
Welcome to MotK. What is it that you're doing for this project?

Melanthios

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »
Welcome to MotK. What is it that you're doing for this project?

Umm... I was promised cookies... Lot's of cookies...

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
I think Letty meant to ask what your role in the project will be. It looks like they're gonna need a lot of help, especially in programming...

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:48 AM »
Good answer, you only missed 100% of the question.

Melanthios

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 04:40:01 AM »
Well, officially I'm not really a part of it... I guess... Or rather, not by my account. I'm merely a writer affiliated with Retro Fox Studios (ask Kit), as the head of my own branch of stories under the temporary name of Twisted Fork. I've been asked to 'babysit' Ally, as it were. Making sure she doesn't give out too much product information ahead of schedule.
To be perfectly honest, I haven't really given Touhou much thought until now, never played any of the games and the only knowledge I have on the subject is what I gleaned from Kit's postings on various other sites. Not to say that I wouldn't like it, just that I haven't really given it the time. Please don't attempt to augment my conversion rate, I'll get there on my own eventually... so, yeah.
If this doesn't satisfy you, feel free to pry a little more.

Edible

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:23 AM »
Thread relocated.

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2009, 12:57:40 AM »
It would be awsomezz if you would include the UFO characters:
Nazrin
Kogasa
Icirin
UNZAN!!
Muramasa(?)
Shou
Hijiri(?)
Nue piloting one of her UFOs lol

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
Thread relocated.

Why do you fuck up Rika's Garage what did we do to you

Edible

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »

:kanakodwi:

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 01:46:51 PM »
A discussion about this thread with a friend led us to think about this :

Encyclop?dia Dramatica: Unrealistic Expectations (no link cause NSWF)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
Muramasa(?)

Her name is CAPTAIN MURASA MINAMITSU, punk. Although Muramasa was a swordsmith who made blades that thirsted for blood, so he was pretty badass too.

Also, are you guys still set on talking about this? Making a game of this scope would require professional developers, and they're going to want a lot of money. Up front. Which is one of many things I am certain Retro Fox Studios lacks.

Alrisandre Margaletrisame

• The Raving Puppet
  • Protector of the Mercatian Border Enchuridion
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
I've been asked to 'babysit' Ally, as it were.

Lolwut? Aye don't need babysitting. I'm perfectly capable of controlling my impulses of revealing things and information... like that time I wasn't supposed to talk about Kit's BBG, but I secretly made a copy and read it at school, then let a couple of my friends read it. Oops, I guess I shouldn't say that where Kit can read it. X3 They loved it, by the way, if it makes any difference.

Umm... I was promised cookies... Lot's of cookies...
Good answer, you only missed 100% of the question.
:kanakodwi:

You guys cause the great Ally to lol in her rollable throne. XD [/position of power boast that is unfounded in all ways]

Thread relocated.

Thank you much.
It would be awsomezz if you would include the UFO characters:
Nazrin
Kogasa
Icirin
UNZAN!!
Muramasa(?)
Shou
Hijiri(?)
Nue piloting one of her UFOs lol

I went to edit my first post and painfully found out that Rika's Garage has no post editing! Which means no more updates in this thread will be able to be noted there. (I'll probably make a secret thread for that in an inconspicuous area.) Don't worry, I wrote them into my ASANO list to be given a ship.

Hello... (echo... echo... echo...)
Umm... do I count as being 'on the project'? Ally is always bugging me about it in other places on the net, and that's really the only reason I'm here in the first place. (because she kept bugging me, and finally I cracked under the pressure of her constant nagging.)

Muahaha! My special Nag-jutsu was successful!

Well, officially I'm not really a part of it... I guess... Or rather, not by my account. I'm merely a writer affiliated with Retro Fox Studios (ask Kit), as the head of my own branch of stories under the temporary name of Twisted Fork.
To be perfectly honest, I haven't really given Touhou much thought until now, never played any of the games and the only knowledge I have on the subject is what I gleaned from Kit's postings on various other sites. Not to say that I wouldn't like it, just that I haven't really given it the time. Please don't attempt to augment my conversion rate, I'll get there on my own eventually... so, yeah.
If this doesn't satisfy you, feel free to pry a little more.

This. Except for the unknown fact that they have a project I know very little about other than they have me (the character) in it and I supposedly have a crush on another girl. o.O' Perverts. I see what you two think about me when I'm not around. Not that Lant has ever seen me IRL.

Actually, if they use the freespace 2 open engine, i think they pretty much have all that, only shaders were experimental last i checked.

The code for it is mostly things like:
-abridged edition-
#shipname
$details     variable
+additional   variable
#end

Written into .tbl files and then compressed, along with other game data, into .vps.

The rest is modeling and texturing your ships (using as few textures as possible, seriously, converting them to .pof and setting things like viewpoints, weapon points, the hitbox, shinemap/glowmap/bumpmap/normalmap textures, and making the effects for weapons and explosions. And customization of the engine, if you can. Oh and yeah, it has lua script support. basically, if you want a nice looking full fledged game, using an established engine really speeds things up.

Engine here (chose your version wisely, don't be afraid to ask around): http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=4e6a2fff1559c1439774b9324a937cd0&board=50.0
Howto stuff here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Modding

I hope noone kills me for linking to another forum :V

Lol. I'll be looking into that when we get our first piece of studio equipment in december (intended date) that way I can do a better job of keeping track of the information I gather. Kit seems to like his mess of paper. I do not like paper floating around and being difficult to organize and keep track of.
I have a couple of books on C++ coming in soon, so I should be able to start the small learner projects within the next month or so. Like you guys say, I should probably start with pong, because that will likely be the best one to replicate for collision mapping and stuff. I'll likely have to leave the graphics up to Kit and Yuna though, because I'm not even half as artistic as either one's left toe. Kit's already designed seveal ASANOs for some characters (Border Patrol makes me laugh for some reason... but it's not really all that funny.) and has worked on sketching out the first stage (Which looks very nice and scribbly at the moment.), while I've written out a large bit of dialog for Remilia's scenario (there's a part where she uses the quote "A belief is not an idea that he mind posesses. It is an idea that posesses the mind." and I thought it was kinda interesting. In BBG, Remi seemed kinda philosophical, so I kept that in play here.)

Also; if anyone knows anything about a program that makes .pmm files for 3D viewing and use, please let me know... I'm going to use MikuMikuDance to make a few videos that could be used. I could have it so that each character is in a mini-scene beside their ship in a huge hangar, and all the mini-scenes are thrown together to make a sort of trailer, among a few oher things. This would just be until we upgrade graphics.

-insert quote from Alice that I can't see in the section below-

Yeah, I'll be starting small, but I intend to progress quickly and learn a lot. I know there's doubt of this, but I'm very strongly devoted to this project. It will happen. It may not be within the next year, or maybe longer, but MotK will be the first place to find out when something happens. I would hope that some here would do me the favor of testing?

Also, are you guys still set on talking about this? Making a game of this scope would require professional developers, and they're going to want a lot of money. Up front. Which is one of many things I am certain Retro Fox Studios lacks.

I don't intend to hire anyone. This is a personal fan-project. And yes, RFS lacks financial resources for the time being. (We have a total of 6.58 in the Studio Fund, rofl.)

So yeah, it'll take a while, and multiple upgraded versions, but it'll get there.

(Stupid side-note: I'm taking names of all doubters. This way, when the product is released for testing and stuff, I can giggle merrily at your doubt. Then charge you eighty cents a minute to play my game. Nah, just kidding. I just hope you enjoy it when it does come out. I'm going to follow in the footsteps of the almighty ZUN for this: Only a trial version will be released for free download when it comes about. The full version will be purchasable in a fancy jewel case and stuff.)

In other news:
Kit has given permission to release the initial design of Patchouli's "Ampersand".

Edible

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
That's great.  Call us when you have more than sketches and dialogue - like some actual proof of concept.  Or just use danmakufu like everyone else here, there's no harm in it.

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
That's great.  Call us when you have more than sketches and dialogue - like some actual proof of concept.  Or just use danmakufu like everyone else here, there's no harm in it.
Define proof of concept, then, so I can supply. Instead of being mean about it and all, you could try being supportive, y'know. Actually, I'm witnessing a bunch of unsupportiveness. That's not nice. Is it because I'm a girl that I'm getting crap over my project, or is it just that you guys hear a lot of upstart projects that never go anywhere? Yeah, I have big dreams and all, but that doesn't mean everyone has to tell me that it'll never go anywhere. So much negativity! Well, I guess it realy doesn't matter, I won't be stopped on this. I've got a reputation for being headstrong and super-stubborn when I set my mind to something, and I'm set on this. It'll happen eventually, whether people like it or not, so either sit back and enjoy the ride, or jump in and support me somehow. (Sorry, this isn't directed at any one person, Edible. I'm adressing the general not-gonna-happen-ers.)

There isn't really any reason I couldn't use danmakufu. And now that you mention it, that could be a place to start, right? You know something. Tell me moar.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:25:42 PM by Alrisandre Margaletrisame »

Edible

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »
I am not required to be nice.  No one here expects anything to come of this project because you have some doodles you kicked around with a buddy, and vast ambitions that completely outweigh your lack of knowledge in programming and game design.  Proof of concept would be a skeletal game build, for instance, one lacking polish but showing that you are capable of making the thing itself.

If you want to know more about danmakufu, there is plenty of information available here and elsewhere.  Do your homework.

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »
Basically: don't even say "I have an idea!" for your own software until and unless you have something which someone could theoretically actually play. (Danmakufu is something which someone could theoretically actually play. Therefore ...)

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:09 PM »
I am not required to be nice.  No one here expects anything to come of this project because you have some doodles you kicked around with a buddy, and vast ambitions that completely outweigh your lack of knowledge in programming and game design.  Proof of concept would be a skeletal game build, for instance, one lacking polish but showing that you are capable of making the thing itself.

If you want to know more about danmakufu, there is plenty of information available here and elsewhere.  Do your homework.

o3o I require you to be nice. Because you like me. lol. I'm constantly being reminded that no one expects anything out of this. Which by the way, makes me mad, but now I realize that it could be a ploy. You could somehow be aware that doubting me makes me work even harder to prove the boubter wrong. You could be secretly hoping something comes of this because it sounds like a cool idea. However, I do agree that my ambitions are rather out there, and my lack of knowledge in programming and game design will be a huge obstacle. But then you have to think about this: Every person who has ever made a game had a point where they decided "Hey, I'm gonna make a game." but they didn't know dick diddly squat about making it. So what did they do? They asked questions of people who knew about game making (which is what I am doing here in Rika's Garage now) and found resources that would teach them how to make their game (which is also what I am doing by getting books and information on needed software/hardware) and also diligently spent time working on the piddly sketches and dialog when they didn't have the ability to do the above two parts for one reason or another.

That said: Help me with my homework. Give me examples of where to look. Because I really don't have the time to hunt around on your vague directions and play mindgames with you.

EDIT: At this point, I am now setting a deadline! Due to Edible's encouragement, as I will now term it, by late MAY of next year, I will have this 'Skeletal Game Build' he speaks of. That gives me approximately six months to learn C++, make one or two of what I will call "Stepping Stone games" (pong, galaga, etc.) to practice and hone my skills, and begin construction on "Bukokuyoshi", "Bukanou", or "Fukanou", whichever it is. Whether I decide to use an existing engine or start from scratch will likely be made sometime in december. (I'm leaning toward some of the things mentioned by Alice and Toast, as they seem very promising.)

EDIT2:
Basically: don't even say "I have an idea!" for your own software until and unless you have something which someone  (Danmakufu is something which someone could theoretically actually play. Therefore ...)
Um, the purpose of "I have an idea!" was to find out what I need to make that idea a reality, not ask people's opinion. I am here...

Firstly: To act as RFS Team's Information and Resources Manager / Courier.
Secondly: To LEARN... er... things. I want to know everything there is to know about "Danmakufu", The making of, useful tips, the like, NOT to gather opinions pertaining to the idea itself. (I suppose a better tactic for this method would have been to not give the idea, but I wanted to be very specific about what I needed to learn, and thus, supplied the idea behind the madness.)
Second-point-Fively: To assist my fellow team members in projects
Thirdly: To put heavy use to the knowledge gained through this process.
Fourthly: To finally supply a product that can entertain and satisfy "even the Maidens of the Kaleidoscope" as I had once said in a conversation.
Fifthly: To supply free virtual cookies of magic and happiness.

...could theoretically actually play.

You could. Just not yet. Because it's being made. And various other reasons. I'm not (directly) trying to advertise the project. I'm really trying to learn things needed to make it happen. Also, I'm kinda trying to find what people would want to see in it while it' still in a malleable stage. If there are plot twists, interesting story curves, things people would like said in dialog, or "Custom Input", now would be the time to do it, before I get too much writing and whatnot put into it. By Custom Input, I mean ANYTHING. Got an idea for the menu? Some fancy options like "confetti explosions" or something? Custom Input away, baby! I'm open to lots of things!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:38:42 PM by Alrisandre Margaletrisame »

Edible

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »
That said: Help me with my homework. Give me examples of where to look. Because I really don't have the time to hunt around on your vague directions and play mindgames with you.

No. :moogy:

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
>3< Oh you.
Graargh! I'm gonna view this as a test!

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Would Shingyoku be counted in there?

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
Would Shingyoku be counted in there?

Shingyoku ish on my written list... I didn't put up on the first post? Hm...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
とうほうきんしんろく ~ Luminous Wings of Cold Steel

Melanthios

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 12:08:38 AM »
At this point, I am now setting a deadline! Due to Edible's encouragement, as I will now term it, by late MAY of next year, I will have this 'Skeletal Game Build' he speaks of.

Ally, you cannot make such promises if keep them you cannot. As much as I wish you to succeed in your endeavors, I cannot allow you to make such a fool of yourself and further decrease what little apparent support any here have given you. I implore you to take back these words of a deadline and continue your work at you own pace. Return with your promises when you can make a deadline that can be kept.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:59 AM »
I am not required to be nice.
No, but you're not required to be a jerk either.

Edible

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 01:54:03 AM »
I am actually contractually obligated to be a jerk to people who don't look at board stickies.