Author Topic: looking for help with my new Nintendo DS R4.  (Read 2799 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
looking for help with my new Nintendo DS R4.
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:53:13 AM »
I just got one of these the other day, and haven't been able to get it to work. My brother got one as well from the same store, and his works fine. We both installed the same kernal, have the same box, and have the same websites linked etc, yet it only works on his cart. If we swap memory cards between our carts, mine will work and his wont, because it's in my r4 cart.

I've done some research, and they all say that the "clone" r4s are made workable by getting the kernel from the websites linked on their respective clone box. Here is the site that my box links:
http://www.r4ids.com/
going here:
http://www.r4ids.com/r4ids-e.html
my box is the same as the two gold screenshots linked at the top.
My actual r4 looks just like the one linked that says: "Cassettes complete positive " on the front, and the back looks like "Integrity of the tape back".

My brothers looks exactly the same everywhere.

However...mine is embosses slightly on the front (very slightly, you can't notice it at a glance)/ As if there is a small square chip inside under the black/gold label. My brother's does NOT have this chip. This chip also makes sliding the cart somewhat harder (not hard per say, but you definately feel more resistance).

Now normally I'd assume I had a phoney or a lemon or something, but I can't understand why my "fake" version has EXTRA stuff as opposed to a fake cart? It has to be a working version with just the wrong site linked..or something. I don't know. Anybody have any clue? I was really looking forward to trying touhou ds >=(.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: looking for help with my new Nintendo DS R4.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »
You got a knockoff; they have somewhat high failure rates, which is what I imagine happened to yours.  TBH, you shouldn't be buying an R4 at all - there are better solutions available at similar prices with more features available.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:10 AM »
that was my initial impression upon researching my problem at first. However I noticed that many of these opinions were generated over a year ago. Sites that mention my (supposed) exact model says that while it is a copy of the original r4 without being made by the same people, it is a legitimate company that actually tries (and succeeds) at improving it.

Anyway. I don't really have much choice with this. the R4 is the only one game stores supply in my neighborhood, and I have horror stories ordering online. They come 2 years late, and I get charged more money for duty than the cost of the actual product. Canada ups is utter fail....at least for me it is.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
R4 used to be decent! ...2 or 3 years ago.

As I have no idea how exactly your R4i is inoperable as opposed to a working copy - as in, no error details or anything, I'm not sure what to suggest. Since you've mentioned that you have no choice in flash cart (as there are much better alternatives, CycloDS comes to mind), I dunno what to say as of now. It's too vague for me to say.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Eh, I got hold of an R4 recently and it worked well enough. I just needed to format every so often. >_>

I use past tense because I wasn't allowed to take it to university since I don't have my own DS. ;_;