Author Topic: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).  (Read 48574 times)

Re: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
Thanks.

I've already learned my lesson, so let's just put this behind from now on.  Come to think of it, do I always have to say 'honest to God' the entire time I achieve something?  (I pity those that lie to God, but anyway)  Currently, I've achieved nothing, so there's...well, nothing.  Latest achievement done in Touhou is capturing spell 171 in spell practice in IN (I've shown this replay before...approved legit by people like Rabbit and bjw), and that's pretty much it.  But, if you guys want the replay, I won't hesitate to post the link.

So yeah.

*Goes to check what spell you are talking about case its very difficult for someone to write Hourai Jewel Lunatic*. That's quite an accomplishment. I have only done it on Hard.

By the way, after I died to the Prismrivers on PCB Normal I went and played PCB Easy. It took me a week to 1cc it.

Nothing wrong with Easy mode.

Some people probably just get bored with easy mode and start teasing the people who play it cause they have nothing better to do.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »

Some people probably just get bored with easy mode and start teasing the people who play it cause they have nothing better to do.

Although that is not wrong at all, the brain damage induced by "Stops at the diseased part and melts quickly - Lunatic Undongein~OVERDRIVE" is very true indeed and must not be ignored, as it is the voice of ultimate truth u.u
rofl bye

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
Downloaded ANEX98 (PC-9801) and hdis of the five Touhou games for that system.

Played Mystic Square. A lot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:13:48 AM by lgb »
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
*Goes to check what spell you are talking about case its very difficult for someone to write Hourai Jewel Lunatic*. That's quite an accomplishment. I have only done it on Hard.

One of these days, you just might capture the Lunatic version of it.  If you want to know my attempts, I was 0/220 last September, then after that, I decided to take a two-month hiatus from that spell card.  Returned that November, and since that victory, I was 1/74 for that month, making the history 1/294.  Lots of attempts, hm?

Video of my spell 171 run

(Again, proven legit, so all is well.  Almost identical to bjw's spell 171 run, except different spell card bonuses, so yeah.  I think I'm #5 to post that vid.  Whoever that WinDEU guy is, he's #6, iirc.)
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
My first Touhou game was actually SWR.  (Got my butt handed to me XD), but my first shmup was EoSD. Easy, could only get to China WITH CONTINUES. (Back then I thought stage 2 midboss was Sakuya lol) And back then I thought it was normal to have that happen, but after seeing everyone else's first experinces I now realised I sucked, and still do, compared to others that have been playing for as long as I have, and even some that have been playing less!

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »
The only thing I remember is that it was around the last days of October 2007, I was playing IN and I thought Wriggle was Cirno with green hair.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
The only thing I remember is that it was around the last days of October 2007, I was playing IN and I thought Wriggle was Cirno with green hair.

Spoiler: Wriggle is male
rofl bye

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 02:32:49 AM »
Spoiler: Wriggle is male
Spoiler: Wriggle is female

Easy Mode

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 02:41:10 AM »
Spoiler: Wriggle is female
Male. Because he is a trap.
Anyways, the first time I ever played Touhou was in November or so. The first one I played was PCB. I didn't even make it to stage three on easy. Isn't that sad?

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
Male. Because he is a trap.
Femlae. Because she is a reverse trap.

*sigh* hate the stupid as hell "WRIGGLE IS A MALE LOLOLOL" meme.

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2009, 03:39:46 AM »
o_O

So this thread is about Wriggle now?

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »
o_O

So this thread is about Wriggle now?

Welcome to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope. Please enjoy your stay.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
Zun made wriggle a he cause he though it was alright, since it was just a S1 boss. But then, after he released the game he went : "Oh SHIT!! THERE ARE NO MALES IN GENOSKYOU! IT'S A REVOLUTIONARY LESBIAN FANTASY SOCIETY!!!" then he went around trying to say that Wriggle is a she, but you need only to look at that thing and it is OBVIOUSLY a he....

Also: Wriggle.... hehe....
rofl bye

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
Zun made wriggle a he cause he though it was alright, since it was just a S1 boss. But then, after he released the game he went : "Oh SHIT!! THERE ARE NO MALES IN GENOSKYOU! IT'S A REVOLUTIONARY LESBIAN FANTASY SOCIETY!!!" then he went around trying to say that Wriggle is a she, but you need only to look at that thing and it is OBVIOUSLY a he....

Also: Wriggle.... hehe....
REVERSE TRAP. AND UNZAN.

Your argument for Wriggle being male is "LOL WRIGGLE IS A GUY LOLOLOL". Please, stop encouraging that stupid meme.

DarkHedge

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
REVERTING TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC DESU NO JUTSU

I discovered touhou through the Touhou Pad Pack and Stepmania, but my first jump-in was, after downloading a fuckhuge torrent, with EoSD that I still cherish as my favorite game so far. Although I'm one awful player, I never tested any touhou in Easy modo. I don't say that for the bragging rights - I really never tried easy modo.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

Your argument for Wriggle being male is "LOL WRIGGLE IS A GUY LOLOLOL". Please, stop encouraging that stupid meme.

Not really as I came to that conclusion on my own without help from the internets. Just LOOK at that thing....u.u

I really never tried easy modo.

Don't bother, you'll be disappointed. Even for SA, before I could get a good ending in ANY touhou Normal, Easy mode was pathetically easy
rofl bye

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »
from my experience, playing on easy modo will never improve your skills.  Besides, my ego is not enough to be satisfied with easy.

If anything, grinding SA on Normal was what pushed me to read patterns up ahead instead of focusing on the crap that are near me.  You have no idea of the joys that I felt when I did my first 1cc on Normal.

Now I think I should hit up IN because I know Spell Card Practice also helps you improve...

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
One of these days, you just might capture the Lunatic version of it.  If you want to know my attempts, I was 0/220 last September, then after that, I decided to take a two-month hiatus from that spell card.  Returned that November, and since that victory, I was 1/74 for that month, making the history 1/294.  Lots of attempts, hm?

Video of my spell 171 run

(Again, proven legit, so all is well.  Almost identical to bjw's spell 171 run, except different spell card bonuses, so yeah.  I think I'm #5 to post that vid.  Whoever that WinDEU guy is, he's #6, iirc.)

There is one of the reasons i am not better than i am. I simply don't have patience for all that restarting. I try something about 5 times and i give up if i don't suceed because then things start to become annoying. Still i managed to get to beat em' all on Hard mode. Now, before i start with Lunatic i'll need a laptop. For some reasons i play much better on those.

PS: I simply don't know how i accumulated all the necessary patience to capture Life Spring Infinity L. The card is so not fun as you can possibly get it. You will die repeatedly and you will more often than not complain about something bullshit related. I think its pretty much luckbased. It took 200+attempts to cap it the first time but the second time it took me 7 attempts.

from my experience, playing on easy modo will never improve your skills.  Besides, my ego is not enough to be satisfied with easy.

If anything, grinding SA on Normal was what pushed me to read patterns up ahead instead of focusing on the crap that are near me.  You have no idea of the joys that I felt when I did my first 1cc on Normal.

Now I think I should hit up IN because I know Spell Card Practice also helps you improve...

I'm pretty sure i know how you feel. Try and see if you can't beat MoF Hard. The comment from ZUN you get for doing that is simply priceless.

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »
Welcome to Maidens of the Kaleidoscope. Please enjoy your stay.

Thank you, but...isn't that a few months late?  :-\

I was aware of the Wriggle meme from that touhou.wikia site a while back.  I still remember Kaguya's meme as well (the NEET part).  I'm sure there's a few more that I may not be aware of, but I'll eventually bump into one of those...

(Off-topic: Which reminds me...Get Down meme, anyone?)

There is one of the reasons i am not better than i am. I simply don't have patience for all that restarting. I try something about 5 times and i give up if i don't suceed because then things start to become annoying. Still i managed to get to beat em' all on Hard mode. Now, before i start with Lunatic i'll need a laptop. For some reasons i play much better on those.

PS: I simply don't know how i accumulated all the necessary patience to capture Life Spring Infinity L. The card is so not fun as you can possibly get it. You will die repeatedly and you will more often than not complain about something bullshit related. I think its pretty much luckbased. It took 200+attempts to cap it the first time but the second time it took me 7 attempts.

I captured Hourai Jewel Lunatic on a laptop, but not on a desktop...I don't know if it's just me, but I can't do certain spell cards on desktops.  Since I had so much free time back then, I had the urge of restarting spell cards every time I failed to capture.  Hourai Jewel took a lot of persistency, but thank God I captured it two months after the start of the attempted capture.

Granted, I captured about 75-80% of the Lunatic spell cards on spell practice in IN, but there's a certain amount where I'm just incapable of capturing those.

Speaking of Life Spring Infinity, I agree with everyone that it's luck-based.  No strategy, no nothing, and that's not saying much.  Even the best Touhou players struggled with that spell card (I think).  Luckily, I captured it after exactly 100 attempts...though I came close to capturing it somewhere in my 59th attempt.

I sure wished I could spell practice MoF's Virtue of Wind God spell card on Lunatic, but MoF doesn't have a spell practice option.  I really want to try that card just to see what it's like, since I find it 'fun and interesting'.  No, I did not beat MoF on Lunatic (better yet, I didn't even try MoF), so I can't say much about it.

(inb4tl;dr)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:27:28 AM by Lord Scalgon »

Yukkuri

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2009, 03:07:13 AM »

I was aware of the Wriggle meme from that touhou.wikia site a while back.  I still remember Kaguya's meme as well (the NEET part).  I'm sure there's a few more that I may not be aware of, but I'll eventually bump into one of those...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKsAzM7BS8

Anyway who plays full screen?

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:13 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKsAzM7BS8

Anyway who plays full screen?

Hm, I thought the Get Down meme originated from this, but then again, I could be wrong.  Sadly, I haven't paid much attention to such things, I guess. (let's just say that other things were in the way)

Anyway, I usually play window, in case I receive an IM pop-up from someone.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2009, 04:06:28 AM »
First touhou game ever was Imperishable Night demo; friend linked me to it, didn't tell me it was a demo.  I was able to hobble through on easy burning up a lot of continues, and I was pretty proud when I defeated the 3rd and final last boss.  Eventually I got good enough to 1cc the demo on normal, I still thought it was the full game, I was like sweet.

Fast forward a few months or weeks or something I can't remember and same friend links me to Dracil's IN extra clear... I was like "Hmm, but I've beaten that game and I don't recall any "extra" stage."  I felt kind of stupid when I found out I had been playing a demo lol.

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »

I captured Hourai Jewel Lunatic on a laptop, but not on a desktop...I don't know if it's just me, but I can't do certain spell cards on desktops.  Since I had so much free time back then, I had the urge of restarting spell cards every time I failed to capture.  Hourai Jewel took a lot of persistency, but thank God I captured it two months after the start of the attempted capture.

Granted, I captured about 75-80% of the Lunatic spell cards on spell practice in IN, but there's a certain amount where I'm just incapable of capturing those.

Speaking of Life Spring Infinity, I agree with everyone that it's luck-based.  No strategy, no nothing, and that's not saying much.  Even the best Touhou players struggled with that spell card (I think).  Luckily, I captured it after exactly 100 attempts...though I came close to capturing it somewhere in my 59th attempt.

I sure wished I could spell practice MoF's Virtue of Wind God spell card on Lunatic, but MoF doesn't have a spell practice option.  I really want to try that card just to see what it's like, since I find it 'fun and interesting'.  No, I did not beat MoF on Lunatic (better yet, I didn't even try MoF), so I can't say much about it.

(inb4tl;dr)

Well i've been toying around with VoWG. I have out around 20 attempts into it tonight and i'm already starting to loose patience. I'll have to be a little more persistent towards it later though as its a spell i really want to have under my belt.

Oh and whats that about never having tried MoF? You need to do that. Its one the best Touhou games in my opinion. Just out of curiousity. What Touhou games have you beat and on what difficulty?

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »
Well i've been toying around with VoWG. I have out around 20 attempts into it tonight and i'm already starting to loose patience. I'll have to be a little more persistent towards it later though as its a spell i really want to have under my belt.

Oh and whats that about never having tried MoF? You need to do that. Its one the best Touhou games in my opinion. Just out of curiousity. What Touhou games have you beat and on what difficulty?

I'm pretty sure many people (like me) are dying to attempt that spell card, but if I were to play that spell card, chances are, I'd most likely 1CC MoF on Hard/Lunatic, whether I capture that spell card or not.

The reason why I never tried MoF is because...well, I've been persistent in Live Search Club, a group of online games by Microsoft, where you win tickets in which you redeem them for certain prizes.  If you're super-patient, you just might redeem a Xbox 360 from there for free (though that's never happened to me before, but a friend of mine did).  I have a long history of prizes there, so I'd rather not mention my 'long list'.  Even today, I'm after a couple prizes.

While I'm typing this, I'm downloading MoF off of...let's say...'someplace'.  I've heard stories of Stage 4 being the most bullshit stage in the history of Touhou, and VoWG being the hardest spell card in existence (and I thought Scarlet Gensokyo in EoSD was the hardest...well, I don't know).  As for my history in Touhou gaming...from the top of my head:

1CC PCB on Easy (since then, I haven't really touched it that much)
1CC IN on Easy/Normal
2CC IN on Hard...but I don't know if this counts if I beat 6A
1CC SA on Easy

I can do some Hard, and sometimes I play on Lunatic just to screw around and to see how far I can get.  Orin owns me in Stage 5 Normal in SA...but whatever, it's normal that something like this happens, and there's many others that have the same problem as well, but I'll try to figure something out.

EDIT: One more thing - I mostly play Touhou at school, but if I were to play SA, I'd most likely have to play it at home, since I can't really install DirectX files here at school due to administrative rights.  Not sure about MoF.  At least I can play EoSD, PCB, and IN over here, which is fine by me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:29:52 PM by Lord Scalgon »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
MoF stage 4 isn't so bad outside of Momizi and the part after her. And Aya. Plus VoWG isn't as bad as everybody says. It's hard, yes, but I don't see why everyone thinks that it's the most OMGWTFWALLHAX card ever.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
MoF stage 4 isn't so bad outside of Momizi and the part after her. And Aya. Plus VoWG isn't as bad as everybody says. It's hard, yes, but I don't see why everyone thinks that it's the most OMGWTFWALLHAX card ever.

Hm, well, not a whole lot of people experienced VoWG.  Well, once I try out MoF, I'll begin to realize what everything is like.  Well, I'm pretty sure everyone has their own perspectives about the stages they surpassed.

(Give me X days, X months, and maybe X years, then I'll be able to tell my experience in VoWG)

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
I went and relived my first experiences of playing EoSD Easy today, now that I have the actual CD. The first time I played (a bit over a year ago), I don't think I made it past Icicle Fall due to it looking hard from the bottom of the screen... Even today, the Meiling battle still manages to beat me around a bit.

Yukkuri

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Hm, I thought the Get Down meme originated from this, but then again, I could be wrong.  Sadly, I haven't paid much attention to such things, I guess. (let's just say that other things were in the way)

Anyway, I usually play window, in case I receive an IM pop-up from someone.
It is, but that just an example. :)

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

Weren't you the one who failed 130+ times at it or so? I'm pretty sure you posted something about it. Well, the reason i think its so goddamn hard is that it often throws walls at my face. That leaves me with two options. Try looking for a hole through it and immediatly thereafter dodge another wave of amulets all while maintaining precision. The other possibility is to dodge around the waves which is mostly possible yet you must make your desicion in about a split second.

I'm pretty sure many people (like me) are dying to attempt that spell card, but if I were to play that spell card, chances are, I'd most likely 1CC MoF on Hard/Lunatic, whether I capture that spell card or not.

The reason why I never tried MoF is because...well, I've been persistent in Live Search Club, a group of online games by Microsoft, where you win tickets in which you redeem them for certain prizes.  If you're super-patient, you just might redeem a Xbox 360 from there for free (though that's never happened to me before, but a friend of mine did).  I have a long history of prizes there, so I'd rather not mention my 'long list'.  Even today, I'm after a couple prizes.

While I'm typing this, I'm downloading MoF off of...let's say...'someplace'.  I've heard stories of Stage 4 being the most bullshit stage in the history of Touhou, and VoWG being the hardest spell card in existence (and I thought Scarlet Gensokyo in EoSD was the hardest...well, I don't know).  As for my history in Touhou gaming...from the top of my head:

1CC PCB on Easy (since then, I haven't really touched it that much)
1CC IN on Easy/Normal
2CC IN on Hard...but I don't know if this counts if I beat 6A
1CC SA on Easy

I can do some Hard, and sometimes I play on Lunatic just to screw around and to see how far I can get.  Orin owns me in Stage 5 Normal in SA...but whatever, it's normal that something like this happens, and there's many others that have the same problem as well, but I'll try to figure something out.

EDIT: One more thing - I mostly play Touhou at school, but if I were to play SA, I'd most likely have to play it at home, since I can't really install DirectX files here at school due to administrative rights.  Not sure about MoF.  At least I can play EoSD, PCB, and IN over here, which is fine by me.

If you put the dll. files in your game directory it should work. I have done so myself and about Stage 4. Well, Donut pretty much told you the story. Its pretty much only Momizi and her post-garbage that's making the stage infamous. But thats also quite a bunch of things. The stage goes something like this. Five fairies pop up and deliver some bullets for you. You can easily eliminate them and if you stand on their spawn points when they spawn (keep shooting) they can't even hurt you which completely neutralizes that part. Then some more fairies come. Those can be streamed. Then big and probably cute fairy come up. Unload stars. You dodge stars, easy enough and then the forerunner to the bullshit comes. Just this one isn't bullshit but it will require a tactic to tackle it on Normal and above. Then goes Momizi. She is evil. Then goes her bullshit. If you want to neutralize some of the bullshit you can run the timer down on Momizi. Pick your poison. After bullshit, some more streaming. Then even more streaming after another of the big fairies. Then three big fairies appear. One at a time. They deliver heavy star danmaku. Its pretty simple dodging though i'm unsure about the lunatic version. Then goes some more crows, this time shooting some Danmaku. You can neutralize most of them by clinging to one side of the screen and maybe PoC rush once in a while for score. After that its slutty chick time. You encounter those crows earlier in the stage though they are harmless.

And there goes me writing up an essay about Stage 4. Probably very unneeded but it should get the point across about how Momizi is the reason the stage is considered terrible. To a certain extent at least.

Lord Scalgon

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
If you put the dll. files in your game directory it should work. I have done so myself and about Stage 4.

I'll see if this works when I head to campus next Monday.  I'm glad I didn't have to wait hours to finish d/l MoF, since I d/l the game on campus (T3 ftw).

Well, Donut pretty much told you the story. Its pretty much only Momizi and her post-garbage that's making the stage infamous. But thats also quite a bunch of things. The stage goes something like this. Five fairies pop up and deliver some bullets for you. You can easily eliminate them and if you stand on their spawn points when they spawn (keep shooting) they can't even hurt you which completely neutralizes that part. Then some more fairies come. Those can be streamed. Then big and probably cute fairy come up. Unload stars. You dodge stars, easy enough and then the forerunner to the bullshit comes. Just this one isn't bullshit but it will require a tactic to tackle it on Normal and above. Then goes Momizi. She is evil. Then goes her bullshit. If you want to neutralize some of the bullshit you can run the timer down on Momizi. Pick your poison. After bullshit, some more streaming. Then even more streaming after another of the big fairies. Then three big fairies appear. One at a time. They deliver heavy star danmaku. Its pretty simple dodging though i'm unsure about the lunatic version. Then goes some more crows, this time shooting some Danmaku. You can neutralize most of them by clinging to one side of the screen and maybe PoC rush once in a while for score. After that its slutty chick time. You encounter those crows earlier in the stage though they are harmless.

And there goes me writing up an essay about Stage 4. Probably very unneeded but it should get the point across about how Momizi is the reason the stage is considered terrible. To a certain extent at least.

I haven't experienced Stage 4 on Hard/Lunatic, but I'll eventually get there sooner or later (the X days, X months, and X years applies to this, too), but yeah, thanks for the heads-up.  After watching a perfect Aya run (despite screwing around in the midst of the stage run), I'm not really sure if I can handle something like that just after a few attempts - I'm sure it'll take tons of attempts to get used to the spell cards.  Aya's "Peerless Wind God" is something that I'd end up bombing often, if I happen to reach it, and I'm sure everyone did that when they first encountered the spell card.  I wished I could master this in a matter of months, just like the persistent others, but real-life things just get in the way...

I think I'll start MoF on Easy to be safe than sorry.  Then Normal, then slowly to Hard or Extra, then if possible, Lunatic (though this part's unlikely to happen in less than a month).  I'll start my MoF debut on Monday, assuming that it works on school comps.