Author Topic: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).  (Read 49318 times)

Gpop

Re: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
I tried SA for the first time today. had to use a continue by stage 4 already. how sad is that... I told myself "this is sa patchy, nothing wrong". But I couldn't beat oren after 2 continues.. So I gave up, gonna watch a replay or two, see if it helps.. maybe I just picked the wrong character too.

I really hate the whole lose power when you bomb thing though like with MoF. It only promotes stage memorization even more imo, so you know when you can or shouldn't bomb. bleh.

SA is the hardest game out there if you play normal or higher (fucking Orin and terrible shot-types). So don't worry if you believe that you suck at it.

Also, the new bomb system encourages you to bomb MORE, especially during the stages since you can just regain your power from the fairies =/.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
You should use Reimu and Yukari. They are by far the best that game have to offer.

Yeah thanks, I was using marissa and kappa. I would have done marissa and alice but I really really can't play unfocused very well, especially on bosses.

your taste in fps games is vastly different to my own, but I feel like you look for something different in an fps game. I personally thought I did not like fps games for awhile, then I played unreal tournament, which I really enjoyed. I enjoy an fps game that is truly built around multiplayer, and teamwork. Not because it's more realistic or whatever garbage, it's just a part of the game that I enjoy...Counterstrike people would argue is that but I didn't really think so to be honest. Maybe on high level of play with everone you know, but on the learning part it's more about stage memorization, rushing to 1 particular spot pretty much, camping it, and having a match over in like 30 seconds.

HL2 and bioshock are really about immersing yourself in the world and story imo.

I especially liked how ut is very much about survival as well as killing your enemies. In a regular fps you often can't really "dodge" a whole lot so to speak, but in ut your dodging skills play a huge role in how well you play, more than your aiming skills to be honest.

But chances are mos tpeople play fps games to shoot stuff, not to dodge >=P.

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »
When it comes to action games i want to play something that provides heavy action, a consistent and interesting universe and state of the art sound. And only single player. I don't like people to begin with so it comes as no surprise that i don't like to play with them either. I always consider multiplayer as filler material. Content meant to drain your time. Its an empty waste of time. Boring and non-fun. To add to the misery, people end up finding a vast variety of ways to glitch out the game or something like that. Or use sniper rifles. Cheap sons of bitches.

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:35 AM »
The first touhou game I actually played was EoSD, but i knew about touhou long before even playing it, friends showed me lots of PVs and played the games on streams.

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2015, 02:53:34 AM »
First Touhou is Lotus Land Story, thanks to Bad Apple.

First encounter to Touhou is from hearing Marisa Stole The Precious Thing from O2Jam, and then hearing UN Owen Was Her? and "Death Waltz".

I immediately played on Normal, and I can do it fine, first 1cc is about one or two months later on EoSD.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:06 AM »
The first touhou game I actually played was EoSD, but i knew about touhou long before even playing it, friends showed me lots of PVs and played the games on streams.
lv100 necromancer passing through   :derp:
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2015, 03:16:31 AM »
> Reply #152 on: June 04, 2009, 06:04:57 am
> Reply #153 on: Today at 07:30:35 pm

Hmm... And I was wondering where that smell of rotting flesh thread came from.

My first experience with Touhou was Imperishable Night, shown to me by a friend after school sometime in 2011. One of them set a stopwatch from the beginning of my first game until I exhausted all lives. If I remember correctly, that was no longer than 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:21:28 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »
lv100 necromancer passing through   :derp:
they have to be if they even brought you back :V

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2015, 05:54:30 AM »
The first Touhou game I ever played was Imperishable Night, way back at the end of January 2010, almost five years ago. Now, I was playing on a file of my brother's that already had a bunch of things unlocked, and the first thing I did when I started playing was try out Spell Card Practice with spell no. 1, thinking it would probably be on the easy side, and I could get used to the gameplay. Of course, I had no idea that spell no. 1 was Wriggle's midboss spell on the Hard difficulty, and I remember being surprised when I saw the word "Hard" over on the right when the spell started. Still, I think I actually managed to capture the spell! (Unfortunately, I didn't save the replay of that.)

After that, I tried practicing stage 1 on Normal with Yukari solo (remember, this save file already had some stuff unlocked, including being able to play with solo characters), and I did quite well for not knowing how IN's scoring and time orbs and stuff like that worked at the time. I even managed to trigger the Last Spell and capture it. And, I did save the replay of that one: Replay (Yeah, it's quite obvious that I didn't understand many details of IN's scoring and such back then.)

Then, I recall trying to play a full game (I think with Reimu & Yukari) on Normal, and not doing so well. After failing to 1cc Normal several times (though I think I did do well enough to get the normal ending via stage 6A), I tried Easy, and I think I remember 1cc-ing Easy on my first attempt without losing a life! (I forget which route I took at the end, though.)

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »
Please point out necrobumps by reporting the post as opposed to participating in it. Locked, feel free to make a new thread if people want to discuss this.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!