Author Topic: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).  (Read 45950 times)

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
(I'm pretty sure nobody created a thread like this, but anyway...)

ITT, discuss your first experiences at any Touhou game.  Share your stories, hm?  :)

Anyway, as for me, I started last year with IN (well, friend got me into it, actually).  I was foolish enough to think that Easy and Normal was a pushover for me, so I started with Hard.  What's worse is that I wasn't aware of death-bombing or using focus.  From what I recall (back then), I doubt I even captured a spell card during the stage runs at all...I just bomb for the sake of my survival, which explained failed spell card bonuses.  I do remember that in the end, I used 2 (or 3) continues, then obtained a bad ending at stage 5 (I used max lives, btw).

After that, I learned that I was wrong by a long shot, so I started learning the aspects of the game and started on Easy, then slowly progressing to Normal after a 1CC (on Easy mode, mind you), then practiced spell cards and beyond.

Now that my story's out of the way, why not share your first-hand experiences?
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

Drake

Re: Your first experience at (any) Touhou game(s).
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
PCB Easy, got up to Youmu using all continues.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
(I'm pretty sure nobody created a thread like this, but anyway...)

ITT, discuss your first experiences at any Touhou game.  Share your stories, hm?  :)

Anyway, as for me, I started last year with IN (well, friend got me into it, actually).  I was foolish enough to think that Easy and Normal was a pushover for me, so I started with Hard.  What's worse is that I wasn't aware of death-bombing or using focus.  From what I recall (back then), I doubt I even captured a spell card during the stage runs at all...I just bomb for the sake of my survival, which explained failed spell card bonuses.  I do remember that in the end, I used 2 (or 3) continues, then obtained a bad ending at stage 5 (I used max lives, btw).

After that, I learned that I was wrong by a long shot, so I started learning the aspects of the game and started on Easy, then slowly progressing to Normal after a 1CC (on Easy mode, mind you), then practiced spell cards and beyond.

Now that my story's out of the way, why not share your first-hand experiences?

And then you started trying to pass off as a lunatic player by cheating, but anywaaaaay (sorry, I just have a habit of never letting things go).

My first experience was when I finally got one of the demos to work, and it happened to be MoF. Because my computer was even more lol back then and I had the settings wrong, I was playing at 30 FPS the whole time. I still had the time of my life. Then eventually someone on GameFAQs linked me to "the site", and I got EoSD and things went from there...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »
Eh...just...don't bring that up.  I'd rather...not talk about it...so yeah.

(I'd start a first-hand experience at UFO, but there's just other things that are in the way...but I'll get to it one of these days...)
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
1.Saw EoSD Normal Stage 6 and EoSD Extra(By Kefit)
2.Got EoSD
3.Snowballed from there

...Screw you Kanako, you edited my custom title again.

Mizuki-chan

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
First touhou game was PCB I failed horribly. I could even get passed Letty White. I didn't even know you could bomb.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:42:28 PM »

I started playing early in June of 2008, with PCB.  Back then, even Easy mode completely blew my mind away, and I was convinced that Youmu and Yuyuko were the two hardest bosses in the history of any video game ever.  Nonetheless, I eventually 1cced it(with max lives and slowmode :-X).  I expected touhou to just be a little fling, and that I'd eventually lose interest after beating it once... 

Obviously that wasn't the case.  I eventually got hold of the other games, and things were just a downward spiral from there.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »
We've done threads similar to this before iirc, but whatever  ::)

First time playing was in July of 2008. Started with PCB on easy, and I found it quite fun as well as difficult. However, I failed to understand how people could play the games so much: it felt like a typical shmup. The main reason why I continued playing is because I knew Touhou had a rather large community backing, so I wanted to stick with it for a while to see what would happen. My first day primarily involved dicking around on easy mode, getting as far as Stage 2 or so. I then cranked it up to normal and played Stage 1 a few times, and the same goes for Hard mode. While easy mode was cool, it didn't really get challenging until much later in the game, and I wanted faster access to harder patterns. Thus, experimentation with higher difficulties happened immediately, even if it was only the very first stage.

Three days later, I got Imperishable Night, and spell practice was the greatest thing ever. Spell practice alone--along with supplementary PCB and IN runs/practice--kept me in a 1 month long Touhou binge. Soon to follow came EoSD, MoF, and SA, and yeah you get the point.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
I started with IaMP actually, somewhere in the second half of 2007. My sister found an character exhibition on youtube and I was instantly fascinated by "ZOMG! SO MANY COLOURS!!!!!". From there I got to know standard Touhou games and characters but never had the guts to actually try them. Suddenly this year my sister, again, got PCB, IN and EoSD. As any "respectable" older brother I could not afford to be overtaken and got the games as well. Insta-love. I haven't played the old PC-98 yet but have gotten MoF and SA too. Haven't been able finish those yet but have bad endings on EoSD, PCB and IN. I'd probably manage IN if I had more patience with it but I guess I actually WANT PCB to be my first good ending (It was my first bad one and is still my favourite).
rofl bye

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
EoSD Normal in August 2008. Suffered horribly at Stage 3, tried easy, got horribly murdered by Sakuya. Decided to try PCB and IN in February, got hooked on the series. Currently attempting to 1CC IN Normal.

Gpop

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
Started with IaMP. I did pretty good. I managed to beat it with Patchouli but got a bad end.

Then played as Reimu. Couldn't get past Remilia.

Then after figuring out how to get the game to work PROPERLY (endings crashed and some options crashed, I fixed it with the Japanese font), I figured out that you could play it on easy. Easily beat it with Patchouli with good end (still continued on Suika, but whatever, I beat it).

Then the first time playing the shmups was EoSD (I figured that I should start with the first Windows game). Started on Normal. Sucked. I couldn't get past Patchouli -_-.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
EoSD, barely beat Easy using all my continues, but I hardly ever bombed because I didn't when to (or I just collided with an isolated bullet).

First 1cc was PoFV, which I had quite a bit a fun with, but stopped after finishing Easy because I sucked at Normal, and Extra seemed impossible (could beat Cirno, often ended there, and I didn't know you could get extra lives).
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:23 PM »
first Touhou game i played was EoSD, but that was only a quick go, i think
my first proper try was PCB. then went on to play all the other touhou games i could get my hands on, ending with the fighters, first SWR, then IaMP

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
A failed run of EoSD. I had been watching videos and such before hand, so I knew what I was in for.
All in all, a rather normal first experience.
I still haven't touched SWR, waiting (hoping) for the translation patch.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »
Started with IaMP. I did pretty good. I managed to beat it with Patchouli but got a bad end.

Then played as Reimu. Couldn't get past Remilia.

Then after figuring out how to get the game to work PROPERLY (endings crashed and some options crashed, I fixed it with the Japanese font), I figured out that you could play it on easy. Easily beat it with Patchouli with good end (still continued on Suika, but whatever, I beat it).

Then the first time playing the shmups was EoSD (I figured that I should start with the first Windows game). Started on Normal. Sucked. I couldn't get past Patchouli -_-.

Same here man haha. I started on IaMP as Reimu though. I figured she was the main character of the game or something and just picked her. I got to Remilia with her and i couldn't beat her for nothing at all. I tried numerous times an djust couldn't do it. after a while i gave up and played game 6 since it was the first of the windows games and it was at teh top of the touhou list for doujinstyle.com so i thought it was the first untili read the description saying it was teh 6th. I downloaded played (on normal) and got to that dam vampire again and got upset! (totally didn't know that she was teh final boss of the game. much less knew her name or title etc.

The inevitable happened and she KICKED my sorry ass. Again i tried numerous times and failed. so my first experience with touhou can be summed up in 2 frustrating words.....Remilia Scarlet
XD ahhaha. That was about 3 years ago. I don't know why NOW but she's my favorite character. When i started it was Mokou and Reisen really and somehow....like over the last year Remilila became my fave.

Maybe it was....Fate?  ^_^ hehe.

now i can beat her without trouble and play IaMP and SWR adeptly. I beat all teh extras (phantasm is its own level but i beat that too) except for Suwako. I'm currently tryin to beat her now but dam she's hard and NO I'M NOT using the dam Marisa B i got no satifaction from that when i did it. I did it just to hear the converstation in the end at least.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
Remi is quite BS on IaMP. My character of choice was Youmu, I just couldn't resist the fact that she was a meelee character lost in the middle of all those spammers. A funny thing, though, is that when I started playing Touhou, "Stops at the diseased part and melts quickly~Lunatic Undongein OVERDRIVE!" was already a music I bloody loved and hammered into my skull. I opened PCB and said "Yay, let's give it a run...". I knew what I was heading into, my first touhou game, I had already seen enough videos for the thought of "ZOMG! SO MANY SPRITES!!!" send shivers down my spine. But as I looked into that difficulty selection screen it was IMMEDIATE: "Maaji? Easy Mode? KIMOI!! Easy mode wo yurusareruno wa choogakusee made dayo ne? Haaahahahahahahaha....."
Because of that it actually took me quite a while to understand what was the deal with Cirno XD
rofl bye

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
IN was my first game, though I can't remember what caused me to get it. November 2008, methinks. Started on Normal mode, Marisa, Reimu and Reisen dominated me for a good week before I decided to go to easy mode. I played easy mode once and only once, and have since not ever touched it again. It just didn't feel right, even though I knew Normal would destroy me. Anyways, it didn't take as long as I thought before I actually started getting decent enough to challenge Hard mode, and I had been dabbling in the other games as well by this time. Shit hit the fan, and I had become obsessed with these games.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »
I started from the very beginning, HRtP.

I played it for a while, found it very difficult at the start. It didn't help that the routes were so many damned stages long, but it's an Arkanoid clone, that's to be expected. I started on Normal and kept trying, eventually I had played it so much (starting around 2004 and I had played til mid 2005) I was able to 1cc Normal. Then I stepped up the difficulties. Until...

HRtP Lunatic, which is a damned hilarious Touhou Lunatic if I can say that xD I ended up 1cc'ing that too >_>

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 03:22:16 AM »
I'm surprised that so many here started with PCB or IN.  I just got into the series a couple of months ago and figured that it would be natural to start with EoSD Normal.  My first time through, China stonewalled me (and I refused to use a continue), but I kept on practicing until I could handle her patterns reliably, then moved onto Patch, and then Sakuya, and then I managed to beat Remilia herself not long afterwards.  I enjoyed it so much that I've worked on 1cc'ing each game's normal mode in sequence since then.  I haven't managed to get past stage 5 in SA yet, so I'm going back and doing some hard mode runs.  I've also taken a look at some of the older games, but I haven't done a whole lot with them.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 03:36:37 AM »
I started few years ago with PCB and tried normal mode. I've found out Touhou series games are pretty difficult and lost a life after few seconds. At that time I didn't know about grazing.

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »
Begins with SWR. Found it on Twilight Frontier.
Plays Reimu's scenario(normal) and used all the continues at
Iku's lightning spike shield. Don't know about grazing yet back then.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 04:46:19 AM »
I...actually first came across Touhou...rather oddly.  I had just finished up TWEWY for my second time (AWESOME game, by the way), and was browsing around on YouTube, and I cam across one of those dratted U.N. Owen mixes, this one being "U.N. Owen was Zetta Slow".  As a fervent Minamimoto fan, I was laughing, but I then looked up the original music, and it was awesome.  And then I saw a Flandre run(which I believe was Kefit's) and was wowed, and decided to find and challenge the games.  Started with EoSD Normal, got spattered.

This was mid-September of '08.  A month and a half later (including a two-week hiatus where I didn't have my computer) I 1cc'd PCB Normal, then went back and 1cc'd EoSD.  The other games came within a week or two (though IN Normal took me all of two tries...:P)

And several months later I've STILL only 1cc'd two Hards, though admittedly if I got ONE GODDAMN DECENT RUN I'd have done PCB and IN a long time ago.  At least I've cleared all the Extras.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Yukkuri

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
I started on EOSD easy, lost 2 times then beat it the 3rd time using a few continues.  In April I 1CC cleared noraml and got PCB.

I beat on my first try (on easy), but then I realized I had slow mode on. >_<

Now I'm trying to beat Ran

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
I started with EoSD hard.  Lost my first continue on Rumia  :P Went back to normal, played it a ton, got my 1CC, and then couldn't stop playing.

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »
PCB Normal, max lives and continues. Made it to the Prismrivers before running out of continues.

This was back in July 2006, I think.

theshirn

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
PCB Normal, max lives and continues. Made it to the Prismrivers before running out of continues.

This was back in July 2006, I think.
And...you pulled off THIS...in less than two months?

I...I...I...can't...nrggrhhn...you...you...grnnfffrgggrraaa...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

nintendonut888

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
It took me only 2.5 to do the same (well, not as good, but...).  8)
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »
Eh, that's not that great. When did that video get 355 comments and 75k views anyway? Damn, I tend to forget about my older stuff. Because it's all pretty bad compared to everything I do now.

But I could have sworn that that Extra run came later, like in October. Checking my replay dates though, it seems I got it on the same day I became the first player in the English speaking community to 1cc EoSD Lunatic. Everyone used to consider it completely impossible back then.

*reads through random posts in the topic*

2008?

Man you guys are young'ins.

theshirn

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »
Eh, that's not that great. When did that video get 355 comments and 75k views anyway? Damn, I tend to forget about my older stuff. Because it's all pretty bad compared to everything I do now.
Hey, Kefit?

SCREW YOU. :P

After playing Touhou for a good seven months now, that's still A LOT BETTER than anything I can do.  Admittedly, yes, you could probably go and record yourself getting a perfect on that stage (maybe minus QED), but the fact remains that within two months of your beginning on the road of madness known as the Touhou Project, you were already far superior to people like me, who have played for several times that.

I mean, yes, I did beat Flandre after about 3 months of playing...but I think I captured all of 5 cards in the entire stage?  Maybe only 4?  Your "pretty bad" replays, of two and a half years gone, are still amazingly good.  I Parsee in your general direction.

Also, not to sidetrack the topic, but having watched some of your other stuff recently, I'm forced to ask in pure rage:  how the hell do you avoid getting walled by the blue-green wave on VoWG?  Nothing I do works!

nintendonut888

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
I'm from 2007.  8)

November 2007.  :)

The last day of November 2007.  :(

But like theshim's saying, how long you've been playing doesn't really matter. Some people are better at these games, plain and simple.