Author Topic: Dungeon Fighter Online AKA HOLY SHIT Ramus is actually enjoying an MMORPG  (Read 14167 times)

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
So Nexon has published another game, this time in the genre of beat'em up.  Now, if any of you were like me, you loved going to the arcade and dumping coins into that one of those games where you play as a super hero punching the bad guys out.  So I present:

http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/Default.aspx

Dungeon Fighter Online

Ups include that it's 2D and easy to run on most computers.  Action is fast paced, enjoyable, but not unfair.  Five classes to choose from, so lots of styles, but you can make up to 12 characters a day (2 per day at most).  This means you can experiment and find who you like without too much hassle (I'm looking at you Mabinogi).  Classes include:

Slayer:  Area striking, all around good character.  He moves fast, can hit multiple targets at a time, and has some nice damage pile on abilities.  All around good and my current favorite.

Priest:  The tank.  He can take tons of damage and is quite good for one on one battle.  Also comes with some minor healing and stupidly large, compensation weapons.  Generally quite good at lasting longer.  Mobs get him though.

Mage:  The token spell caster.  She's physically weak (BAD IN A BEAT 'EM UP), however, comes with a variety of projectile spells to make up for that fact.  Have not played around with her much since I don't really like her, but she's probably a well balanced long range character.

Gunner:  Take the mage and lessen the damage output and make it totally physical and you got the gunner.  Unlike the mage, his shows don't use MP.  However, he's still quite physically weak, so you're best off shooting from a distance.  Did I mention he gets a FLAMETHROWER?

Fighter:  The monk.  I have not played with this character at all, so I can't tell you much.

The game also has kickass music.  It's also in the beta stage so everything is free, so come quickly.  It's only a matter of time before Nexon corrupts the fuck out the game by making everything cost money.

If you see my characters, give a wave:

Priest:  Ramus
Slayer:  Reghnalt
Mage:  Daila

The server is still racist, so sorry Pesco and maybe the Europeans.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
I've already quit. I didn't wanna deal with Nexon's ridiculous and completely unnecessary 'modification' to the EXP table, putting grind into a game thats supposed to have little if any grind. Also too many bloody bots, holy crap.

Seems alright, but its IP blocked over here. derp

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
I'll give it a try...
Wotters gonna' wot

KomeijiKoishi

Seems alright, but its IP blocked over here. derp
Play the Japanese version by Hangame (Arad Senki). No IP Block, an additional character and very cool voice-over.

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
Play the Japanese version by Hangame (Arad Senki). No IP Block, an additional character and very cool voice-over.

What!? Why do the Japanese versions keep all the cool stuff for themselves!?
Wotters gonna' wot

KomeijiKoishi

What!? Why do the Japanese versions keep all the cool stuff for themselves!?
We'll know it as soon as Japan tells us that they won't release Ninokuni outside of Japan.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
This looks like a lot of fun. The massive amount of skills available makes for a lot of possibilities it seems.

From a glance, Witches and Brawlers look like fun to me.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Another awesome MMO...that I can't play properly because I'm European. ;_;

Kuma

• 熊 熊 熊
I've decided that I just plain don't like the fighter character.

Also, Preist is hot.
Wotters gonna' wot

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Dungeon Fighter Online AKA HOLY SHIT Ramus is actually enjoying an MMORPG
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
I wanted to try DFO but then I realized that it was basically a worse Arad Senki. :3

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
Gee this game is fun. I have a nooby mage right now, but it feels like I'm playing her all wrong because I use a mix of Magic Missile and Weapon Uppercut+Combos. The Weapon Uppercut is pretty useful though since it knocks enemies down.

And geeze how much bigger do these bosses get? I just fought a giant Tau and I though I was gonna die horrifically. =(

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Gee this game is fun. I have a nooby mage right now, but it feels like I'm playing her all wrong because I use a mix of Magic Missile and Weapon Uppercut+Combos. The Weapon Uppercut is pretty useful though since it knocks enemies down.

And geeze how much bigger do these bosses get? I just fought a giant Tau and I though I was gonna die horrifically. =(

That's the biggest one for a while. And no, that's exactly right. That's the only way to get a good rank as a mage without party members.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
I've decided that I just plain don't like the fighter character.

Also, Preist is hot.
This.

earlier today, As a Mage, I was spamming the four elemental spells one after another based of how far away I was from the enemy (I usually switch between darkness and light if they're close, and darkness and water if they're far) and I finally got down to half MP at about the time one of the slayers of the same level as me complained about running out of MP. I asked why he ran out, and someone responded that MAges naturally have more MP (I couldn't argue this, obviously.) So I ask how much he had.

I had about 1000
He had about 600

so a slayer goes through about 600 MP in the time it takes me to go through 500 MP just spamming spells second after second after second as long as there's an enemy on the screen. I thought that was weird, since never having played as a Slayer I have no idea what they spend MP on in the first place.

Also, I love Priests. I can finally live out my dream of being a Miko through them. Stupid firebird would get off my shoulder though.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »
After a long while of trial and error with characters I think I'm finally beginning to find out what I like.

Slayer - Meh, not too interested.
Mage - Kinda hard to deal with in the beginning, but the outcomes up ahead look very awesome. Definitely going Witch.
Gunner - Real fun times shooting everything in oblivion. Thinking of going Spitfire.
Fighter - I'm enjoying her, she gets some speedy combos and decent damage. Her range is pretty freaking short though. Was thinking Brawler at first, but now Grappler looks like a lot of fun.
Priest - Oh gawd no.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Okay now my IRL friend wants me to play Arad Senki again >:C

my thoughts on classes:

Ghost Knight (Slayer) - average slashy-slashy rargh class. A base class for the lazy. All the LV18 classes are decent in their own ways, but I've had the most PvP success with Ashura. Weapon Master is a nice end class too if you like versatility (duh). As for LV48 classes, well, of course, Dark Knight (from Ashura). Grand Master too.

Mage (Mage) - Kaboom spells. Anyone not going Battle Mage path going up close is silly and should be poked for it. I've fiddled with both Summoners and Witches, and found their outcome paths nice. I particularly like the Gaia skillset so that's a bonus I suppose. I really want to try a Bellatrix this time 'round.

Brawler (Fighter) - Me likey. The only base class I actually used every single outcome path on. I ran a support based Blazing Flower and an offensive based Hellcat often, and Dervish was for PvP because grapplers are /cool/.

Gunner (Gunner) - Hmm. They're nice, I suppose, but kinda boring and mundane. I really liked using a Metalheart though, they're awesome.

Priest (Priest) - Any time I used a priest it was solely support based - meaning I'd usually only ever use my Crusader. Only time I'd run any other class of the Priest was for when I was bored. Usually stomped people with my Avenger (wiki says they're not in the NA version, so nyah!) but also managed to wreck some havoc with my Monk. Monks are also very good in PvE.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »
It figures that I like the classes that have the bogus HP (Gunners and Mages). Considering that you can't buy HP potions anywhere, it makes Experts Road Thunderplains a bitch to try and beat.

Dragon Fang -> Weapon Uppercut is nice for mages though. The Panzer Goblin summon helps out a ton too, since you can lay back if you need to and let the goblin deal with stuff for awhile.

Still going Witch though, the base class training just sucks for a Mage.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
Avatars/Emblems are highly important, as well as gear sets.

I think before I coughed up the habit I ran a PvP oriented Metalheart with "Supreme Mesh" set. Sparrow Factory skill level +1 ^__^

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
My Mage is starting to actually do rather well. The goblin summon is proving to be a rather nice distraction to enemies while I combo them. I happened to find a pretty decent spear so that I actually do real damage on things. Score.

Honestly, I'm not willing to pay real cash on avatar items. If I heard correctly though, there's some way to buy avatar gear off of other players with gold? If it makes that huge of a difference I may need to look into it.

I was thinking of focusing on Fire and Light once I go Witch (Florae and Jack-O'-Lantern trees). Any opinions on that? It seems to be a good variety of 1v1 (Enhanced Magic Missile, Broomstick Spin) and AoE (Lava Potion No.9, Flaming Furnace). Although Acid Rain is a very nice looking skill... as is Gravitas... I may change my mind for the billionth time.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
AoE is highly weakened in a team setting, but though, Florescent Befriend is a musthave. A better team oriented secondary is probably a tossup between Pluto Befriend or Jack Frost Befriend. Though I'm leaning towards Pluto because damn is Gravitas fun to spam. Also Death Powder to catch Dark-weak opponents off guard >_>

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
So a Light/Dark Witch huh? I like that idea. Gravitas was definitely a swing vote on element choosing. I guess it's less of a restricting choice for a Witch compared to an Elementalist but still, I want to focus on 2 elements and max everything rather than spread out my points.

Gravitas, Death Powder, Florae Collider, Broomstick Spin... sounds pretty sexy to me. I swear the more I plan this out the more fun I feel I'm gonna have with it when I manage to get to the subclass advancement.

Now what would really be awesome is if I was so awesome at planning that I could advance on Halloween. Bwahaha.

JoonK

• Touhou scrub
  • Life's a game but it's not fair~
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »
Hey guys, I'm back.
College apps were a pain (submitted Early Decision), but now I am back, and taking a break by starting DFO.

Level 6 Mage, Joonk.
Add meh if you want, none of my RL friends are gonna start  :-[
Yuka <3
^^^ Links to newest/best YT upload

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »
Whoa, people here play DFO.  Uhm, if anyone wants I can hop on and play with them.  I think I have a 25, 15, 9 and 8 I can join up with.

I would rather play Arad Senki because I heard the Japanese version has less grind and more accessibility, but that's just me. :P  Not that I know how to sign up for it.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »
Whoa, people here play DFO.  Uhm, if anyone wants I can hop on and play with them.  I think I have a 25, 15, 9 and 8 I can join up with.

I would rather play Arad Senki because I heard the Japanese version has less grind and more accessibility, but that's just me. :P  Not that I know how to sign up for it.

There is no IP block but if you're fresh installing Arad Senki be prepared to DL overnight worth of patchings

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
There is no IP block but if you're fresh installing Arad Senki be prepared to DL overnight worth of patchings

Except the game refuses to run on my system.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »
I just tried this game. Wasn't enjoying it much. I understand Arad Senki is a Japanese version of this game with improvements. But because it's effectively the same game I wonder if I should bother trying it if I didn't like this one. Anybody rekon I can like it if this one bored me?

My problem was that the attack list without your skills seemed rather limited. Enemies also seem to be really slow and unexciting to beat up. Shooters were the only real threat, not that they were much of one.

I rekon it gets harder as I get further in the game, but Leveling up didn't seem very rewarding either. Anyway, lemmie know if you feel like I should still give Arad Senki a chance and I probably will.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »
I just tried this game. Wasn't enjoying it much. I understand Arad Senki is a Japanese version of this game with improvements. But because it's effectively the same game I wonder if I should bother trying it if I didn't like this one. Anybody rekon I can like it if this one bored me?

My problem was that the attack list without your skills seemed rather limited. Enemies also seem to be really slow and unexciting to beat up. Shooters were the only real threat, not that they were much of one.

I rekon it gets harder as I get further in the game, but Leveling up didn't seem very rewarding either. Anyway, lemmie know if you feel like I should still give Arad Senki a chance and I probably will.

Arad Senki is basically the same game with an additional class, more stuff available (since it's been around for several years) and such.

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
I got bored of the grind and level cap was pretty demotivating so I took a break from playing about a month ago when my Witch hit 37. :V

And here's a funny link.
http://www.dfosource.com/forum/general-discussion/1425-kannaa-witch-screws-over-denroid-party.html

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:28 PM »
I got bored of the grind and level cap was pretty demotivating so I took a break from playing about a month ago when my Witch hit 37. :V

And here's a funny link.
http://www.dfosource.com/forum/general-discussion/1425-kannaa-witch-screws-over-denroid-party.html

What a dumbass. I was owning shit at Lv60 and taking down names with my Trickster.

Of course, it might be one thing to blame grief-esque play on one person, but on TWO ENTIRE CLASSES? Dude, what. :v