Author Topic: Gamepad question  (Read 3099 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Gamepad question
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
sorry for endless questions guys, I really appreciate the patient responses I've had so far though. Someone mentioned:
"Though ever since my gamepad broke, I haven't really tried to 1cc anything."

This reminded me into asking if I could assign keys to my touhou games. I can find the key config area of the options menu fine, but nothing seems to let me assign them. Not only that but they say "button 00, button 01, button 02" instead of "z, x, shift, escape, up, down, etc". I've tried selecting each command, hitting z, enter, return..nothing seems to let me re-assign the key. I haven't been bothered by it too much cuz they aren't terribly inconvenient, but I was wondering how I could use a gamepad or something if I can't assign keys (I don't have a gamepad but I'm thinking about getting one just for touhou).

How do alot of touhou pros manage? do they bother using a gamepad too or are they satisfied with the default arrow key controls? I'm personally thinking a pad just might be a bit more useful for me simply because of how bad I am at tapping buttons for precision movement and such.

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
Re: Gamepad question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:36:53 AM »
As far as I know, the default controls (z, x, arrow keys, shift, etc.) are hard-coded into the game, and cannot be changed.  The only way to change them would be through a key-remapper (only one I know of is AutoHotkey).  The KeyConfig is a separate set of keys that are used if you have a gamepad connected, and the software you install with the gamepad will allow the game to recognize your controller.  If you want to change the gamepad keys, then you can use the KeyConfig with your gamepad.  The keyboard controls will still work, even if you have a gamepad connected to your computer.