Author Topic: Non-Gaming/Touhou Hobbies  (Read 32977 times)

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
Re: Non-Gaming/Touhou Hobbies
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 04:26:25 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling
Huh... That looks interesting. Well...challenging compared to normal bowling.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 04:30:08 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling
Wow the ball is small!

Unlike in ten-pin bowling, downed pins are not cleared away between balls during a player's turn
I really like it when the pins are not cleared, is like more pin for me to knock it off!  ;D

cleartailcat

• Idiot Shouta
  • Missing
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 05:16:02 AM »
EDIT: i also have other stranger one such as going to the opera when i can, studying music history, studying music and why romanticism>all

I always liked Impressionism more.

Slacker

• He's the other ⑨!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
Non-Gaming does this even exist??

Serious now, outside my gaming hobby and surfing the web, I like to go outside on a sunny day on my bike and just go to some places.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 05:04:27 AM »
Huh... That looks interesting. Well...challenging compared to normal bowling.

It is. The best professional bowlers only have league averages in the 130s. In all my years of watching televised candlepin bowling, I don't think I ever saw someone with a higher league average than 136.

At my best I averaged about 102 but it's been forever since I bowled often enough to maintain such a score. Now I'm lucky if I hit 90.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »
I play the piano, compose some (mostly classical-contemporary piano-only, though some electronic) music of generally average quality, and do play chess, though I'm not very good at it. 

Also, napping and generally making people angry at times.  Not very sporty.

An example of my work is here.

And wow at the candlepin bowling thing.

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »
PHP,C#,Visual Basic,HTML,CSS..

UML Graph.....

It's my hobby, seriously.

"I am the memory of my dictionary.
Alphabet is my body, and number is my blood.
I have cracked over a thousand programs.
Unknown to defeat.
Nor known to succeed.
Have withstood pain to encounter many failures.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, 'Unlimited Crack Works'."
[/b]

Break anything that stands between you and them!

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
Used to play basketball (non-competitively) and tennis. Also used to fence, though that was awhile ago, and occasionally practice that.

Although this is kind og game-related, ehwnever I have my friend over, I play various JRPGs and he watches, mostly for story purposes and whatever wisecracks I make. Despite how it sounds, it's a pretty good time. Also, I have a pretty large collection of movies.

I enjoy writing quite a bit, and am looking for a way to get back into my NON-TOUHOU stories.

While I'm at work, I listen to various books-on-CD. I'm mostly into spy novels.

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
I like writing/illustrating doujin (mainly about Vocaloid)
I also like papercraft (though I screw up more often than not D:)

Wordspoken

• Death Moe
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »
Math and programming (demoscene primarily), mainly.

Not exactly non-gaming but I once used to be *very* good at chess. Kind of stopped playing it as much though, but I'm still up for games if anyone wants (PMoriarty @ fics)
Uh, there is no such handle in fics. You sure you didn't typo?
This voice...sounds like a drunken loli. Is that you, Suika?

Mobius

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 01:16:31 AM »
When I'm not working or reading, tennis. I'm also a shit golfer, but I try.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »
I'm also a shit golfer, but I try.

Eh, I also golf (on blue moons, but I know how to play the game). Shame my swing still resembles someone trying his best to behead someone, but at least I know how to aim my ball.

I also occasionally get the urge to go minigolfing, if only because 1) it's fun, 2) the course designs are interesting if sometimes damnably frustrating, and 3) the thing I'm best at in golf is PUTTING. Damn the 9 Iron, give me a putter and I'll show you some moves.

Anyways, non-video-game hobbies besides the extremely rare game of golf (or mini-golf) would include . . .

1) Tinkering with Legos. Stuffman may be trying to make a greyhound bus, but I prefer the whimsical stuff -- let's just say that the new Power Miners sets don't just offer killer nostalgia (the logo's close to the old Rock Raiders logo, the new rock monsters look like chibis of the old ones, they're re-using the crystals and THEY ALSO RE-USED A SET NAME, THE 'GRANITE GRINDER'), they also offer a killer new set of wheels and some very appealing tank treads (the one I'm really dying to get is the 8961 Crystal Sweeper, if only to see how its titular 'harvesting wheel' works so that I can reverse-engineer it into something devious).

2) Tinkering with Yu-Gi-Oh!. It might seem like gaming to some, and Serious Business to the Stop Having Fun Guys, but what I like to do with it is: FIRST! Take some really crazy idea, like a particular theme that nobody uses. SECOND! Try to make it work. THIRD! Test it out. And then FOURTH! Laugh as I either succeed beyond my wildest dreams (such as with the Four Alice Deck, a deck I made after listening to Alice Human Sacrifice a bit too much, and my Junk Warrior Deck, where I ended up with a 2800 ATK Giant Germ) or fail spectacularly (my [first] Gladiator Beast deck, back before I had my Gyzarus'es, or my Ancient Gear Deck, back before Zoma the Spirit existed in English).

3) Working on my own original fiction. I haven't written a damned thing yet, but I've been meaning to, and I've actually got a bucketload of settings (Query City, Zeus City across the ocean, an island chain in the middle of them, a country somewhere to the north that's chock full of horror tropes come to life [aptly named Weirdsylvania]), characters (going across the spectrum from normal-but-struggling-in-a-world-full-of-crazy Roland to his particularly-unnerving therapist Lucida to the acclimated-to-the-weird Marrowchan to . ..  yeah, you get the idea), and even PLOTLINES floating about. If anyone has a recommendation for where to start in writing about this all, such as what sort(s) of story(/stories) I should start off writing, I'd be very appreciative.

4) Picking at villainy. I appreciate villains -- even root for them -- and so it pains me when either hero or villain does something gawdawful stupid, I love the Evil Overlord List to death, and I can always find some way that a villain's plan could have gone RIGHT. And so I tend to MST3K everything I watch with a villain, cackling in glee when they actually DO something intelligent and cackling in disbelief when they do something drop-dead-lamebrained ("LOOK UP DAMMI--too late.").

5) Come up with fiendish little deathtraps and teasing tricks for any occasion; for example, take a piece of contruction paper, a long pole, two thumbtacks, some string or fishing wire, a couple of sturdy nails, and a water balloon, and set them up thus: nail one end of the paper to the ceiling, tie the other end to the thumbtacks and stick them onto the ceiling . . . and then stick the pole under the paper and squeeze in the water balloon. If all goes as planned, you'll have a pole standing up in the middle of the room that, if removed from its spot will let the water balloon fall from its perch and land either on or just behind the intended victim, startling them nonetheless. The thumbtacks should give way with the weight of the balloon (provided it's heavy enough), while the nails should not, and the string SHOULD be done up now that I think of it so that it doesn't let the balloon out . . . yeah, I think about these sorts of things a little too in-depth. IF YOU TRY THIS PRANK, STICK A SIGN ON THE POLE SAYING 'DO NOT MOVE' TO MAKE IT SCHMUCK BAIT ENOUGH, AND -DON'T- SUE ME FOR ANY DAMAGES TO -ANYTHING- IF IT GOES WRONG.

So yeah . . . no shortage of hobbies here . . .
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »
I am something of an outdoorsman. I like hiking and biking when I can.
I also read a lot of stuff in my school library when I have downtime between classes.
Independant research is interesting too.
This is of course in addition to games and stuff.

These are pretty much all my hobbies as well. Only, I quit hiking when I finally got a new bike. I hate traveling so slowly. :P

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »
Programming and storywriting. (Although it's usually game programming, right now I'm working on a WWII timeline app for a friend)
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
4) Picking at villainy. I appreciate villains -- even root for them -- and so it pains me when either hero or villain does something gawdawful stupid, I love the Evil Overlord List to death, and I can always find some way that a villain's plan could have gone RIGHT. And so I tend to MST3K everything I watch with a villain, cackling in glee when they actually DO something intelligent and cackling in disbelief when they do something drop-dead-lamebrained ("LOOK UP DAMMI--too late.").
You too huh? I've essentially grown tired of the whole justice thing and actually like it when some turns into a Complete Monster.

On my end, I don't really do much of anything besides the following...

Writing - I only recently got into Fan Fiction, but I primarily write up complex databases on a fictional world I've had going ever since I started drawing. I haven't really give it a name as of yet (I essentially call it Earth as it's still the same planet we reside on, just in an alternate universe where Hell and Heaven begin to integrate with the living plane), but I have alot of writing on the wildlife, locations and even a bit of folklore added to it.

Drawing - Ties heaily into the above, being I rarely draw any fan art of any kind. Although, I have my moments. Started a series of comics in the 6th grade and had it running up until my Senior year in High school. Drew up to 256 comic books total (each one having at least 5 - 7 pages on them) before I lost interest.

ROM Hack/Game making - I started doing this long ago when I began fooling around with an RPG maker I found on the nets, it sucked but I clocked out a fair amount of stuff into it. I'm thinking about restarting the project I had put on a 5 year haitus now that I have a good grasp of spriting and what not. Rom Hacking ties heavily into this as well.

That's it.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:42 AM »
Reading was always my top favorite. Fiction, non-fiction, classics, moderns, pretty much everything, though I have a particular soft spot for hard sci-fi (pun not intended).

If you consider non-video games as well, I'm pretty much interested in any kind of table game. Chess, Shogi, Go, Mahjong, strategy games, etc. (Not that I'm actually good at any of them.) RPGs in particular are a favorite, pretty much any genre and system, from D&D to Storyteller to ones I made up on the spot on occasion.

I used to do fencing with an epee. No classes and not really much space to practice with, so I'm a bit out of practice and my equipment is rusting.
Whoa, I could say pretty much the same thing except I played in the foil category. Used to play competitively for a while, but that was long ago, my foil is all rusty now too.

I also used to practice a lot of martial arts (mostly judo and taekwondo) and play some musical instruments (violin, piano, guitar) but I'm largely without time and will for it lately.

Oh, and languages. I still always take a language course every time I have some free schedule at the university. (It's also pretty much the only hobby I'm more or less good at.) 

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »
I've already mentioned that I'm a pretty avid chessplayer. I used to be part of my school's debating commitee, but it shut down due to lack of interest. >_>

shinyjam

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2009, 02:38:33 AM »
I've already mentioned that I'm a pretty avid chessplayer. I used to be part of my school's debating commitee, but it shut down due to lack of interest. >_>
At least you can debate in the forum.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
In between bouts of fansubbing pedo anime, I compete in Spelunky tournaments the world over.

Reports of my StepMania involvement have been grossly exaggerated, by the way.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
So many of my hobbies are related to games that I'm not sure where one aspect of my life ends and the other begins.  If you mean non-video games though...

I'm quite into Warhammer 40k and Warmachine/Hordes, so I do a lot of model-building and painting.  I also love to read books and write fanfiction; and I occasionally indulge in a little lot of singing along to my favorite music.  One of the first things I tell people who want to become my roommate is "be sure you can put up with the singing".
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
Photography and fishing.

shinyjam

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Photography and fishing.
Interest in photographing sea life?

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
Photography and fishing.
Awesome.

I'm also into music. I'm obsessed with music. Touhou and not, mostly game music, but I'll listen to anything almost (as long as it doesn't swear or throw sexual slurs at me). I'd probably say my favorite genres are classical and techno, and mixing them is the best (which is why I love Japanese techno - pianos and violins? In my techno? Yes please!).
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 12:07:47 AM »
One of my more esoteric hobbies that's relevant today (as it's Victoria Day in Canada today): I make fireworks.

So far nothing special, mostly just Roman Candles and other standard fireworks, this year is my first attempt at patterned explosions and star mines. If this goes right then the next time I make fireworks (in about a month on Canada Day, lol) I'll try something that's actually display-fireworks level in complexity.

...and actually get my low explosives license. lol.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

shinyjam

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2009, 12:18:34 AM »
I make fireworks.
Someday...someone will be so rich, he will need High explosive fireworks to light he's giant birthday cake.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:59 AM »
High explosives fireworks wouldn't work very well. The difference between a "low" explosive and a "high" explosive is not reaction yield, but rather reaction speed. The two main explosive charges in a firework are the propellant and the actual firework charge. A high explosive is completely unsuitable for use as a propellant, given that high explosive shock waves travel at a minimum of 3000 meters per second, and simply would just turn the tube into shrapnel instead of propelling the charge into the sky.

In the firework charge itsself, you don't actually want a strong explosive. You want something which will knock the burning metal salts apart into the pattern you want. This implies a slow (<500m/sec) shock wave so that the charge disassociates properly instead of, again, turning into shrapnel.

So yeah, there's a reason we use primarily black powder and not RDX in fireworks :P
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »
and of course, the amount of smoke emitted from the fireworks right? the least smoke, the most brightness would be preferred as well as the speed, length and intensity of the burn?

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

shinyjam

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
Yay...learned something.  :P

I guess NASA Rocket would be Low explosive then.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2009, 02:51:34 PM »
Unsure on that, Nasa tries to have the lowest weight but with the maximum efficient burn time with the best propellant i believe...

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

shinyjam

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
Looks to me like Low then Mid explosive level.