Author Topic: Which game is considered the hardest?  (Read 19157 times)

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Which game is considered the hardest?
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »
It is UFO right? Just checking because I need to crush someone who said they could beat any game I play at a higer difficulty than me in the timespan of 3 days.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:40:58 PM by Rikter »

Re: Which game is considered the hardest?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
Probably UFO at every difficulty other than Easy and Extra.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
I personally find SA Normal incredibly difficult while I don't find UFO Normal as difficult as most people say.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Many of the games are hard for different reasons. SoEW is considered hard for bad mechanics (at least the extra anyways), PoFV is hard for the danmaku being mostly random bullets everywhere and having silly AI that can dodge you for 5 minutes or get hit 5 times in 1 minute, SA has the weakest bombs and shot types, and UFO just has hard danmaku in general (brofists and curvy lasers D:). Personally I think SA is harder to 1CC by far compared to UFO, which practically showers you with lives if you are good with UFOs. SA punishes you for dying by giving you even fewer lives, and has bombs that can barely take off 1/4 health from a spellcard.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
SA, up until normal at least.  On hard/lunatic, UFO would probably take that title away.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:14 AM »
UFO is by far the hardest once you get to hard/lunatic.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »
It's simply unfair to judge UFO at this point because it's so new. Every game people have always went "this lunatic is IMPOSSIBLE. And I know we said that last game but this time it really is!" Sure UFO still seems to have that status, but remember that you can get upwards of 15 lives potentially.

I'd say EoSD or SA. EoSD isn't the hardest in terms of danmaku, but it is very easy to screw up on and you don't get a whole lot of lives. SA is easy...if you're good at the game. If you're not, it's very difficult to gain power and lives. Utsuho kind of spoils the game's difficulty though.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 01:09:16 AM »
Well I guess they get UFO hard then. If they agree we'll get to see all the replays of someone who has never played Touhou ever before in a few days...

And there comments on it as well...

Should be interesting.

Matsuri

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:42 AM »
I'd say EoSD if not only because you don't get a visible hitbox (the hitbox patch is just cheap if you ask me) :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:27:24 AM »
EoSD is actually pretty doable. Sure it's not very forgiving in lives or bombs, but most of the spellcards aren't too bad once you've figured out how they work.

I'd vote SA. That game is just hell and back (hehe, pun). The shot types all do some pretty pitiful damage and the bombs are pretty laughable. Not to mention Utsuho's giant suns can be a min and eye rape sometimes.

nintendonut888

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »
I'd say EoSD if not only because you don't get a visible hitbox (the hitbox patch is just cheap if you ask me) :V

You play shmups a lot and are irked by that? I actually trust my hitbox in EoSD more than any other game because I'm so intimate of its location.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »
UFO or SA is the hardest in terms of "how can weave through that many bullets?" hard. SoEW is the hardest in terms of "no fair, these attacks are too fast, I can't even tell what's going on!"

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
I personally find SA Normal incredibly difficult while I don't find UFO Normal as difficult as most people say.

It's the complete opposite for me. I can't do crap in UFO Normal, but found SA Normal quite doable. Stage 5 is hard as fuck, but stage 6 is pretty easy for a final stage, so even if Orin completely rapes you you still have a chance.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

nintendonut888

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:04 AM »
UFO or SA is the hardest in terms of "how can weave through that many bullets?" hard. SoEW is the hardest in terms of "no fair, these attacks are too fast, I can't even tell what's going on!"

People have GOT to actually play SoEW more before they come to conclusions like this. Over 50% of the stage portions are streaming. In terms of just surviving, I actually place SoEW as the easiest, mostly because with proper bombing Mima is a disgrace to final bosses.

However, I would place SoEW lunatic as the hardest in the series to do no bombs, mostly because I'm pretty sure it's infeasible to do so. Mima, seemingly in an attempt to make up for her general ease of defeat, possesses two attacks that are nigh-impossible to dodge and very easily become undodgeable (anyone who's played SoEW above normal should know which two I'm talking about). It would be very easy to game over on Mima even after beating everything else no deaths just because of this, because she is guaranteed to use these attacks combined at least four times during the fight.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 04:00:12 AM »
The undodgable stars and the bullets with stupid hitboxes?

Matsuri

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 04:09:40 AM »

You play shmups a lot and are irked by that? I actually trust my hitbox in EoSD more than any other game because I'm so intimate of its location.

I'm not irked by it in the least; I just say it's the hardest because of that. Just because it's hard doesn't mean I don't like it.  :P

If we're going by danmaku difficulty over personal opinion, I'd have to say SA is the hardest.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:13:36 AM by Matsuri »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »

Agreed.  I got the No Hitbox patches for SA and MoF.  I hardly even LOOK at my character anymore unless I need precision, which is actually rare - my gaze is usually a couple inches -above- my character.  I just know my hitbox on instinct now.

Also.

EZ Modo would probably go to PoFV for being the only notable difficulty EZ modo.
Normal Modo would go SA
Hard goes to SA again, but UFO is close behind.
Lunatic goes to UFO though.

For score runs though, I think UFO is unquestionably the hardest to score run on Hard/Lunatic

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
The undodgable stars and the bullets with stupid hitboxes?
Dodgeable from the side. I'm going to probably experiment on this (more) when I get everything else done. What agitates me even more is the attack where Mima sends out the orbs, which then suddenly break away and move very quickly. Still, SoEW isn't that bad.

UFO is severely overrated. Even though it may be legitimately difficult, it still gives you a crapton of resources to use for a 1cc. That's all shot types. You just need to use a strategy for UFO chaining. Or "man it up" and run through perfectly; your call.

SA is overrated, and more or less the stages are just a memorization fest. Bosses and SCs are a different story, and unlike the previous games or UFO, you can't bomb spam your way through them.

:kanakodwi:

PoFV is easy enough if you know what to do. PoDD is... eh. I really don't know. Trying to score in that game will most likely end up with you being on the bad end of the spam, and there's little gain from scoring (2 extra lives only, compared to PoFV's).

PCB and IN seem to be tame enough. MoF's bombs are too good; and too common if you know when and where to bomb.

I don't play EoSD enough to warrant me giving a decent judgment on its difficulty.

LLS and MS have a few quirks that I won't bother putting out.

Overall, UFO is the hardest if you don't want to can't bomb or mass lives. However, for 1cc I would have to say... PoDD.

...I have a feeling I'm missing something, but I don't know what...
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »
The key factor in UFO's difficulty (and also, to some extent, SA) is that it's quite easy to lose 70% or more of your possible resources by failing your way through the game. PCB is different (but easy enough not to really matter) but in EoSD, IN, and MoF you're basically guaranteed maximum resources just by making it to the end of the game.

Kitsumi

• Danmakufu Noob
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 12:35:44 AM »
I think I would consider SA the hardest, with UFO coming in a close second. SA is just so tricky; it has so many bullets in the first few stages.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
I have no idea why people say SA normal is the hardest thing ever. The game doesn't really have any hard danmaku. It just sucks so much that people refuse to practice ithas really shitty bombs and shot types.

Bananamatic

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 12:55:47 AM »
I have no idea why people say SA normal is the hardest thing ever. The game doesn't really have any hard danmaku. It just sucks so much that people refuse to practice ithas really shitty bombs and shot types.
Shitty game mechanics.
Some cards are actually a challenge to capture and NOT timeout, especially with the bomb system where if you die after using all of your bombs, you get only 2 power which is not enough to capture some cards, so you are basically stuck with half power for the entire stage unless you can consistently do most parts.

And Orin. Be of Good Cheer, yeah right.
Plain unfair nonspells, stupid spells which force you to circle around her or throw an assload of fairies in your face.

Same for UFO. The power penalty after death is too damn huge.
Especially when trying to practice without spamming bombs, you'll be stuck with zero power in no time.

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »
I'd probably say UFO. I'd be lucky to make it to stage 5 even if I had a full stock of lives by Stage 3.

SA's not much of a problem, though. Orin's way too overhyped in difficulty. Actually, I have more of a problem with her stage than I do with her fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 01:19:24 AM »
Stage is maybe 1 death for me, as you can trivialize it by doing it pacifist.
Her nonspells though.....100% clipdeath.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 01:21:10 AM »
Definitely UFO, I think... it's the only one that I still struggle with quite a lot on Lunatic. :V Goddamned crazy Shou lasers.
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »
I beat UFO 1cc on normal on my 3rd (or was it 2nd?) try.

I still can't beat SA on normal every try >=P. It's wayyy harder for me on normal.

I haven't played any games on hard other than eosd and pcb since I've grinded them on lunatic before moving on, and have since been trying other shooters in the meantime >=P.

As for people saying SA isn't hard by its danmaku but rather by its game mechanics....I don't know. I think it's a bit of both really.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
I can survive up to Boss!Orin on SA Normal while I can hardly go past Stage 4 of MoF on the same difficulty level. Oh, and I actually got to Byakuren on UFO Normal.

Make of this however you wish.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »
UFO Normal and above is hard to master because of the Sadist Power System.
SA Normal is hard because of useless bombs and Sadist Power System.

I'm seeing a pattern here, I cannot count how many times I can't 1cc just because Shou killed me 1 time too many.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
It took me about a month after UFO was released to 1cc Normal.

I still haven't 1cc'ed SA normal. e.e Fuck SA.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »
Stage is maybe 1 death for me, as you can trivialize it by doing it pacifist.

But just think of all the delicious, delicious graze you're missing!
Seriously, though, the counters are just mass streaming; it's the other stuff that always trips me up, and that's best handled by killing them off asap.

As for Boss Orin, I have come out of it with the same number of lives as I went in with, but I average about -2 or -3. (and Okuu, my best run has been -3. >.< No continue spam for me.)

I haven't spent enough time with UFO to be able to accurately gauge its difficulty, so... nyah.