Author Topic: Touhou Meiiden (Maiden) - DoSM/CoGHB/SB Translation  (Read 34562 times)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Touhou Meiiden (Maiden) - DoSM/CoGHB/SB Translation
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
The "triad" of games are...

Defiant of Shrine Maiden [DoSM]
Counterattack of God Human Being, usually referred to as the sequel of sorts. Abbreviated to [EX]
One More Fight only One More God, hereby referred to as "Slash Buster". Also contains an "Extra" mode of sorts. Abbreviated to [SB]

For easier referencing. Also, there's a ridiculously large amount of text to be translated, excluding the story as well.

----

Progress: Decently far in. However, I seem to be moving too slowly with the items, because the descriptions are quite hard to translate sometimes most of the time, not to mention that the game(s) cite references from other sources (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Japanese H-Games, Norse, Celtic, ...), and I intend to get as accurate as I can. Not to mention that I have to put everything together. Further, a rather decent majority of the text uses... Kanji. So I'll be having fun translating.

Don't expect us to rush things though. Most of us (if not all) are quite busy with other commitments. And I'm playtesting the changes made. (should I make videos?)

Story has been decided (so far) to be left untranslated for now.

Translators: More is always good. Even if you could just read over strings and correct them, add opinions, etc., that would be helpful. Follow the instructions I left on the front page properly.

Actually, I'm not even fluent in Japanese (i.e. I can't even read/write to a higher standard). Surprisingly, I can still translate shorter strings rather well though. Maybe that explains why I suck at descriptions so much.

Screenshots Page

...I think I covered it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:40:22 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: Touhou Meiiden (Maiden) - DoSM/CoGHB/SB Translation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Update. Check first post.

If you want the third installment... send a personal message?

If you can see this line, then it means that I'm still working on translation. Take it easy. Or better yet, help me.

I see people other than myself watching this thread, by the way.

Anyway, list of random things:

-Fixed overlapping text regarding "j". Additionally, it also allowed a (very small) increase in the size of the item strings I can use.
-Found a Kanji dictionary! Hooray! That means I can do most(?) of the horrid Kanji translations that I see.
-Fixed more alignment issues.
-Modified patch working process.
-Decided to ignore item descriptions (for now), since they're nothing more than flavor text. Besides, it doesn't take a genius to realize what each "Spell" does.

To those of you watching:

Yes, I was just testing the characters out a bit there; I'm fully aware of how badly I set the formation.

Moving right along... (one of the) Japanese dictionary (temporarily?) lost. It was a good one too.

Hooray, I got it back.

And for playtesting, it works. 100% functional, no notable bugs. Though not using AppLocale causes a few things to be off. In other words, this is only considered to be a "partial" English mod. And a mod, not a patch. Got it?

So many cross-references...

Whistling while you work seems to help. The translations are quite high level, but nothing that I can't handle... except for sentences.

Also, placeholder for "?" since I need to use this repetitively to shorten names. Deck names are looooong.

2nd "arc" completed after a time longer than expected. I might consider releasing a test mod for you people soon. It covers most things, but not most enemy drops, and enemy-exclusive attacks.

...some of these items are far too long, so I had to alter the meanings. Truncating them makes them even more confusing. Oh, and did I mention that some of these things are cultural, so I have no idea what they mean?

...damn, new version. With my unstable CPU, it means that mine won't patch properly, so... can anybody send me the .exe after patching to 3.2.0? nevermind, it actually patched successfully for a change.

And... new encoding eh? Well, looks like I can't unpack with my current tools, so it looks like we'll be stuck on 3.1.2 (and 2.2.1) until further notice.

Ooh, took a peek at the story. Very... interesting.

Um. Yeah. Delayed a week while my timetable for university is messing around. I have a 12-hour day for Mondays apparently, because I supposedly came 45 minutes later, as opposed to 15 minutes earlier. The message was relayed while I was sleeping.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:01:27 AM by BaitySM »
<>

Herasy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »
Bumping thread for sudden interest in this fangame.
I didn't even know an English translation was even being worked on, good luck finishing it!

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:04:43 PM »
i've been having some interest in this too seeing as a patch is (was?) being worked on. since its close to impossible to play properly when everythings in Japanese.

good luck (if you're still working on it at least)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
Still working. As I have said somewhere else before, people magically disappeared on me. Hence the slowdown of the progress.

...which brings me to another point. I need translators for sentence strings. Item descriptions (and optionally) the actual story  :V
Because I suck at sentences.

I got all the text out for versions 2.2.1, 3.1.2 and not the most recent 3.2.0 because it's packed differently.

Also, I should say that the game is still ridiculous even if it's in English. Although, I don't have to spend 2 hours or so figuring out what everything does.
<>

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »
I'll throw out my philosophical support for this project (since I can't actually help with it).

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:56:46 AM »
Still working. As I have said somewhere else before, people magically disappeared on me. Hence the slowdown of the progress.

...which brings me to another point. I need translators for sentence strings. Item descriptions (and optionally) the actual story  :V
Because I suck at sentences.

I got all the text out for versions 2.2.1, 3.1.2 and not the most recent 3.2.0 because it's packed differently.

Also, I should say that the game is still ridiculous even if it's in English. Although, I don't have to spend 2 hours or so figuring out what everything does.

I did kinda end up disappearing due to school, but regained activity awhile ago; I just kinda figured the project was dead since the forums for it was pretty much devoid for activity for months. I can probably handle sentence strings and the story if you still would like help.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
Two Three things happened with me.

• Totally forgot that the forums actually existed, probably because of the reason below
  • University got in the way, putting me into basically a 2-3 month pause
  • UFO and 1cc'ing Lunatic

Guess it's time to pick this back up again. Fortunately, I still kept all the files. I should probably just use this thread to keep things together.

EDIT: Slowly regathering everything together (my files were all over the place). Check the wiki pages for the extraction tools (when they're up) if that is your preference. If text dumping is preferred, do say so and I'll put it into a text document or something. Or mess around with the WikiTable feature.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:42:29 PM by BaityMS »
<>