Author Topic: The MMO Thread  (Read 19453 times)

Easy Mode

Re: The MMO Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:24 AM »
I'll have to get a group together. I want that thing so hard. After I do Azjol-Nerub. ;____;

Bonechewer. You?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 05:49:43 AM »
Dragonblight.  =/  I have some well-geared friends that make drake runs go quick, too bad cross-realm instances aren't out yet.

Easy Mode

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »
Oh well. >:

They're actually going to do that? That's gonna make stuff so much easier. And what's the Faction Change thing I keep seeing on the launcher?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
Yep yep.  You can now change factions, just as long as the target race supports your class.

Easy Mode

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
So... Wouldn't that be shifting Draenei to Horde and Blood Elves to Alliance?

Or am I thinking wrong?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 06:49:01 AM »
So... Wouldn't that be shifting Draenei to Horde and Blood Elves to Alliance?

Or am I thinking wrong?
Ah, no.  If you were a Draenei Shaman and wanted to go Horde, you could pick any Horde race that can also be a shaman.  And vice versa, Horde shamans transferring to Alliance have to be Draenei.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:38 AM »
City of Heroes is pretty much the only one i play now.

and i haven't played it in a while, cause i've picked up Touhou again.

it's a really awesome game though.

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 08:36:04 AM »
My main MMO was Dark Age of Camelot, the "prequel" to Warhammer Online. The game itself, while theoratically being absolutely awesome (Realm versus Realm combat, meaning huge ass open area + go and find something to kill.) was actually pretty sucky. The game had some of the biggest balancing problems and game flaws you could imagine, and even though it was the most rage enducing thing I've pretty much ever played (You thought Touhou was bad?) I played this game for, like, five whole years with pretty much the same seven other people I grouped up with throughout the whole time. The awesomeness and lulz you could pull off with people you had years of teamwork experience with was worth all the suck. Quitting that was impossible.

In terms of classes and role choice in MMO's, I'm a supporter at heart. In DAoC I played two characters: A healing crowd controller and a supporting caster.

I also played WoW for about three years overall. I played through the whole of classic until BC, quit playing and came back with WotLK. In classic I played a priest, in WotLK a druid. While both characters were created with the goal of a healer in mind, the latter one somehow managed to end up as a bear tank due to general demand but lack of them.

Basically both times I ended up quitting WoW was guild, or rather raid related. While I took a quick look at a bunch of other MMO's as well (Guild Wars, Lineage II beta, Everquest II beta, Silk Road, Ragnarok, Cabal Online to name a few.) the average WoW player, without a doubt, holds the leading position in terms of being absolutely incompetent to perform even the simplest of tasks, and not even in some of the server's best guilds I would be able to escape from them, eventually leading to ragequits without the slightest interest in touching this game ever again left.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:39:12 AM by nacho »

AnimaVex

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »
Yeah, uh.

Usually? You don't find incompetence in FFXI. Why? Because it's ridiculous to power-level someone that high without them learning most of the tricks and necessities. Aggro-related issues? You suffer those EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN A PARTY IN THE DUNES. And in Qufim. And everywhere else. :/

This is where Square Enix did something good; making levelling take as long as it does (which isn't really all that long if you have a few experience rings on you, which are cheap and can be refilled easily) forces players to learn what they're supposed to know anyway or suffer the kick of doom and, quite often, being blacklisted by a ton of people. Which leads me to the next question: Funniest/most fail party ever? Alternately, best party ever?

As for me, I remember a ton of really awesome parties. A few days ago, I was in a party pretty much entirely filled with Black Mages. All of them except for myself, which was sporting White Mage (which eventually took a break to change to Red Mage) and a tank, a Paladin with Warrior, allowing him to effectively pull mobs to us. I ended up healing all the time with some nuking while the rest of the party just BASHED on the fish and crabs we were trouncing. I also note that I levelled up a ton that day. Another incident involved another six-man party in which we almost wiped/died. Multiple times. I saved the party twice with quick thinking, and the sub healer saved it once. That was epic hilarity. As for fail, that involves me levelling to 20, de-levelling after being killed by a person's idiot pull while not having the whole party in one place, and repeating the same thing. I got my level back (finally!) a few days later. :o

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
It all started back in 1998 with MUD (Multi User Dungeon), a text based MMO. I used to play AnimeMUD and we used to have almost 100 players online. Those were the best times.
Then I moved on to Ultima Online, which was incredible...
After that I played Gunbound, Mu Online, Conquer Online, Flyff, Ragnarok, WoW and finally Lineage II, which was the best MMO I've played.
But I had to start working in 2007 so I had to quit. =(

So yeah.. 9 years of MMOs for me... and I played EVERY DAY.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:48:07 PM by lmagus »
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 11:16:14 PM »
For example theres an enemy that is immune to all ranged weaponry in PSO I have seen Rangers (They mainly use Guns) shoot at them 20 times in A row and they still don't realize they aren't doing A thing.
Which mob?  Is this in Ult. mode/Ep.2/Ep.4?

Its just the Satellite Lizards and Yowies you see in like every single room in Episode. 4. I prefer to kill them via Guitar.

Wordspoken

• Death Moe
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
I started playing MMOs with Tales of Pirates. Originally I thought it was the MMO for Namcos Tales-series >.<  Anyways after trying some other f2ps, I found FFXI. Its the best. Love it. Played for 6 months now and loving it.
This voice...sounds like a drunken loli. Is that you, Suika?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
I'll have to get a group together. I want that thing so hard. After I do Azjol-Nerub. ;____;

Bonechewer. You?

Say I'm bonechewer too, alliance.

Easy Mode

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
Holy shit! Seriously? What level?

Surely you've seen members of Stand Alone running around. We're a pretty big guild. :3

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 06:35:05 AM »
I played MapleStory and Fusionfall before, and a little bit of WoW. I also dabble in browser-based MMOs like Kingdom of Loathing and ForumWarz. My favorite right now has to be Dragonica, though. Great fun. ^_^

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
How I hate those browser games that have a limited move point per day.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2009, 02:12:06 AM »
My favorite right now has to be Dragonica, though. Great fun. ^_^
Oh lol I've been playing that too. Level 27 battlemage...

I've been ridiculously busy so I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
My favorite right now has to be Dragonica, though. Great fun. ^_^
Oh lol I've been playing that too. Level 27 battlemage...

I've been ridiculously busy so I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like.
Are you on the THQ*ICE server? What's your character name?

It's too bad the EXP bonus had to be on the same weekend I was out of town T.T

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »
I my first MMO was Ragnarok Beta and I quit once I needed to pay(if I remember correctly after a while the beta became subscription based). I then played Talesweaver for about 2 years on the test server, which was free(Korean MMO, was never translated to english). Then they wiped the server and I quit. I started FFXI on various occasion but since I was alone I couldn't keep motivated. At work everybody played WoW when I first started so I tried it but didn't like it. Right now I don't play any MMOs aside from RO on private servers from time to time. Still, the best MMO I played was FFXI, it has a good story, I like the art style, and it's not only grind. I hope FFXIV will be as good, I'll definitely try it.

shinyjam

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
long life story.
Just wondering if you ever regret playing some of it or feel like you wasted time?

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
Kingdom of Loathing is all sorts of awesome.

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
@shinyjam: I don't think it's wasted time as long as had fun. And with the games I didn't like I didn't play them long enough to say I wasted time.

I forgot that I also played PSO EpI&II on the gamecube. I only played offline with friends(spilt-screen FTW!) so that's probably why I forgot to mention it. That game was really good and I'm tempted to play again on that private server on PC. Aion is also tempting, I might buy it.

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2009, 06:01:18 AM »
Looked up Dragonica and found two website?

http://dragonica.thqice.com/ and http://dragonica.iahgames.com/ Two publishers for the same game, first time I see this. Unless one of them is international/euro and the other for north america but still weird.

On another note I started Aion, I had fun and I'll hopefully get my wings tomorrow, can't wait till I get to the abyss.

Onozuka Nikuyokura

• Powdered Sugar-Loli of Frosty Goodness
  • I'mma catch me an Iku Fish.
    • AWBW Forums
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Fiesta
Perfect World Online
Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
Zombie MMO (Creative name, eh?)
Fly for Fun
Maple Story
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction (Strictly Ladder play since normal single player is boring)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Online
LaTale Online
S4 League (MMOTPS)
Gunbound (MMOTBS [Turn-based shooter?])

Don't hurt me for playing Fly for Fun please.

Zeus's economy is really fucked up, I won't pay 80,000 a pop for an item that I would only use for a quest

You wouldn't believe how much some of the earlier quest items sell for in FlyFF. I swear, the first job quest items sell for at least 125k a piece :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:56:14 PM by Onozuka Nikuyokura »

shinyjam

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
Horrible idea for a MMO to embrace Free Market, everyone WILL drive the price high as hell.

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »
A game without a free market really doesn't perform well, especially games with crafting systems. No one wants to get materials themselves if they have money to burn.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
Emil Chronicle
seems good for me to try but i guess no english version...

shinyjam

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
Emil Chronicle
seems good for me to try but i guess no english version...
There is two english version, but is from Malaysia or Singapore, which is other side of the world, so unless you have good internet, you will lag. Although a good thing of playing mmo on the other side of the world is that the server won't be clogged with players as most of them are sleeping.

I play it like this for Maple Story(Malaysia) and is a pretty good experience. Barely any ks since the map usually empty.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »
Oh my.

Let's see, where did I start...

I think it began for me with MU Online - I had a Dark Mage and an energy-build Fairy. After getting bored of the Mage (and picking up a rather handy hacking program that allowed me to double up my attacks per swing) I made a Knight and shot up to around level 80 - out of 400. I dropped that.

Priston Tale - holy crap I want to play this again, but I refuse to pay for any MMOs besides WoW (we'll get to that later). If I could find a decent private server with bumped up rates (maybe 5x more exp) I'd never see the light of day again. Pikeman and Priestess classes, both of them promoted on the free-beta before they made you have to pay to play a character over level 40.

Ragnarok Online, and how. Started this back in late '04 and I still play it today (just logged off the current server I'm on a few minutes ago). This was in fact the first MMO that I've wanted to play - back when 2-2 classes had just been released (half of their jobquests weren't implemented - just get to the right level and talk to the npc, BAM instant jobchange.) Now, 5 years later, I've gone from a 3x/3x/2x server (thats base experience, job experience, and drop rates) to a 75/75/50 server. I don't have the time to be grinding ceaselessly for little reward; this server promotes the fun of the game for me. I typically play caster-style builds - Scholar (soon to be a Sorceror), High Wizard/Warlock, High Priest/Archbishop, battlebrewer Alchemists. The Homunculus system for the Alchemist class has my heart hooked. My bored little sheep will tank an entire map's worth of monsters for me without breaking a sweat, as well as the explosives I lob at said mob. Little bastard has more HP than I do. Playing as a Priest class, I dare say I'm one of the better Priest players on the server, compared to the mass majority I've seen roaming around. Especially with an Archbishop - they have so many reactive, preventative, and finally combat skills that they shouldn't be standing around waiting to heal someone.
Also, final note on RO, Shadowchasers are bloody fun. Copy two skills that belong to other classes, autocast them on attack, ability to use bows, remove other players' gear, and sneak around in peoples shadows - literally? Please, YES.

And then there's WoW.

.... Eh. Horde. Not fond of Gorefiend, a PVP server, cuz everyone there foams at the mouth and is like RAAAID, ENDGAME, PVP, ARENA RAEGRAEGRAEG. I prefer a more mellow server type - like Steamwheedle Cartel, RP. I don't usually RP there, but if I find an intelligent guild I'll come up with a flimsy story and be a supporting character for someone elses' RP.

On WoW I'm always the healer. Resto Druid, Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman. No Priests, can't stand levelling them :C too squishy. I also enjoy the occasional Prot Warrior.
On Ragnarok, though, Priesting can only go so far for me before I pass out from ennui. The high level areas don't need healing, just buffing - if you can fight there, you either have enough HP to shrug off the hits, or you have enough dodge that nothing hits you. A Priest just stands around and heals once every few moments, no real challenge. Instead, I play my Warlock, Creator, and Shadow Chaser more.
I'm good for supporting people - I love being the one responsible for that last second save, the one who prevented the wipe. Ragnarok just doesn't have that much danger though, cuz the classes - while varied - are overpowered at high levels.

If anyone wants the RO server I play on, PM me. I dunno the forum policy on declaring private game servers, and I'll err on the side of caution.

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
I played WoW for a very long time, I played Lineage II but I didn't really like it, but now I'm playing Aion