~Hakurei Shrine~ > Rika and Nitori's Garage Experiments

More danMATHSkufu

(1/5) > >>

Kinghidrorah:
Hey everyone,
I'm pretty new to the bullet-hell genre but the Touhou games have engrossed me completely, so much so that I have learned to use Danmakufu thanks to Sparen's wonderful tutorial (if he is reading this: you have my unparalleled gratitude). I've been programming in this language now for two months and have completed my first script, and I wondered if anyone would be willing to test it out to give (constructive) criticism regarding it.
It is a bit of a particular script. The idea for me (a Warwick maths student) was to make Touhou-style boss battles featuring my maths lecturers: the enemy here is Mario Micallef, who was my vector analysis teacher last year (so you will find plenty of references to parametrisations/ vector calculus in the attacks). You have plenty of lives so the focus is on capturing things :). Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you in advance,

Maximilien Dralet

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FfUubg7oFTib002Tkj1EsJUIkJ75d6Gp

EDIT: here is the James battle
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1krS_dfRvUw036rzuZ1f7zUvScHMiRoCz

and here is the brand new, and by far the best, Dave Wood battle, featuring a Mario + James cameo at the end
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ls1GyEhc4W0FevVXIqnx2n0iJorGRXnZ

JDude :3:
There is a problem with the #include on Transmathmatic.dnh, because it's unecessary putting the whole path to your shotconst; Instead of
--- Code: ---#include "script/Mario/ZUNShot/ZUNShot_Const.txt"
--- End code ---
use
--- Code: ---#include "./../ZUNShot/ZUNShot_Const.txt"
--- End code ---

The two dots means that is one file back from the original one (Starting inside 'MarioSingles', and going back to the main folder 'Mario')

Kinghidrorah:
Woops, that was an overlook. Did you manage to make it run (it's been fixed and the link has been updated) anyhow?

JDude :3:
Played with Lefkada's player (not Ultima's Player)

About the shot's SFX, it get repetitive a lot and kinda annoying; The best way to avoid that is lowering the volume a little...
I noticed that the song doesn't loop, I know the script is short compared to the song, but instead of loading the BGM and playing it, you can:

* #BGM["./Boss.ogg"] ~ No need to load the song
* ObjSound_SetLoopEnable(obj, true)  and
* ObjSound_SetLoopTime(obj, 0, duration in secs); ~to make it loop
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][Now things about the actual script][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

N1: Pretty random, but what's the point of the Futo arrows?
S1: There are some chances of walls, but I really like the way the parameters work ^^

N2-ish: Just a regular danmaku rain nothing much; but the second phase is easier than the first one? Another thing, it is possible making a phased nonspell in one single (ascent loops is the name, you can ask later Q&A thread about it)
S2: What is happening? The gray bals got on the corners, started shooting arrows normally; but then a snake of bullets was spinning out of nowhere, and I didn't knew what to do + falling murasa drops... Then the second phase is pretty much crazier for the amount of walls and fast bullets everywhere

N3.0: N1 but with a higher speed, that's it.
N3.1: It's really easy, until the laser's delay are basically less than a second, always spawning on me (RNG hates me)
S3: No warning about his movement, the bullets and that is a survival spell = instant death

S4: Laser part okay, pretty easy; but then bullet spam out of nowhere, it calms down with lasers, more bullet spam, and now curved lasers that look nice ^^; then some stars appear, more impossible spam, and lastly a lot of stars...

S5: How the angles make sense?It feels weird, because it follows but at the same time it doesn't?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][Final Stuff][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

At last, you should warn more the players about what's going to happen next, or just tone it down, so it doesn't look unfair; I like this script a lot, it's creative making a boss fight of your teacher and makes the battle a lot more original...
If it looked like I was a bad person, and just hating on your script; I'm sorry, but this is actually my first time reviewing someone script in here, sooo please don't take this so seriously or being personal; I just said what I thought about it, and i'm really excited on what you're going to do next ^^

and Welcome to MOTK :D
Wow, Kinghidrorah! Great scripts, keep it up, proud of you! - JDude

Kinghidrorah:
Thank you very much for your reply, this made for an interesting read. As I said, I probably made beginner mistakes and, to be fair, I have an "easy mode" which I generally suggest playing before trying this one out. In particular the survival Vectorganza can be somewhat anticipated more knowledgeably having gone through the easier script.

Anyway, for N1, the arrows are just a taste of what's to come (they represent vectors all throughout the fight). The dots represent some kind of spittle showing that the teacher is condescending towards the player for taking him on. The S1 is the result of a lot of parametrisation experiments, and though there is some micro-dodging here and there (through the yellow waves only) it is mainly a spell of anticipation: the trick to doing it consistently without getting walled is to be aggressive and not really let the bullets come to you.

Concerning N2, I know about having multiple phases in one single (I did it in the Archimedes spell), but I just felt like having a section of the lifebar marked for this. Don't know why :) . The S2 is obnoxious at first. I tried to lure the player towards the centre of the screen by having arrows cover most of the rest of the screen. Then the trick is to stay in the centre and dodge the Murasa droplets from there: there is a big delay on the bullets in the archimedean spirals to allow for some trajectory correcting. It's an intense spell though, and can be mean somewhat.

N3 is indeed just a call-back to N1. The boss is getting angry . You find N3.1 easy? Good heavens! I find it to be the hardest section in the script! S3 is not a survival spell though: out of interest, how could I telegraph his movements so that the player knows the boss is about to come down?

S4 is a complex one, and I expect nearly no-one to capture it on their first playthrough: you really need to know what's coming in order to be able to react to it.

S5 was a hard one to program actually. So the five arms oscillate individually, but at the same time the total angle of the figure they form changes over time (and a sound cue gives a warning for when that will happen). Maybe it's too hard, I'm not sure about that.

Overall, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it (or seemed to, at least). How do you think this is in terms of difficulty? Again, I've been playing bullet-hell games for 5 months only, so I'm not too good at judging this. Thanks for the word of encouragement :) ; I think I will make the shot sounds quieter as well, especially the ATTACK3 sound which is incredibly loud by default (to give you an idea, it is the one used in the bullet spam and the volume is set to 60%, I believe!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version