Author Topic: I need to stop playing.  (Read 14209 times)

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
I need to stop playing.
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:46:06 AM »
Touhou is a wonderful series. That much is generally agreed upon by everyone here. However, my days of being totally in love with dodging stuff on Easy mode, using continues and starting with max lives have passed. I have improved as a player throughout the months to regularly playing Hard on all but UFO and SA. I have already bested all my challenges on anything below.

So as a completionist I have to move on. I have to conquer it all. But I have moved into territory that just ISN'T FUN anymore. Lunatic 1ccs, Extra grinding, it all requires PERFECTION, KNOWLEDGE, AND PATIENCE. I am hardly any of those. I play games to have fun and get away from stress, but I find that I'm much more irritable lately because I can't beat Koishi despite 60+ tries going to her, and because my Lunatic 1cc ended on stage 6 despite my best efforts, only to progressively do worse on later attempts. It's packing on MORE stress and frustration on top of what was already there, however small. I rage at Touhou more than I rage at my most annoying friends. It just has a way of pissing me off.

AND I KEEP GOING BACK, for one more round of ridiculous bullet hell bullshit and restarts only to have the entire half hour crushed at the last few spellcards, or I keep telling myself the satisfaction of beating Koishi will make the 7 restarts it takes to reach her FOR A CHANCE being all worth it. And I can't go back until it is done. It's just how I am. I've already conquered easier difficulties, so naturally I want to move up and say I've beat the whole thing.

And now here I am, somewhat pissy at absolutely nothing because I BLEW LUNATIC HOURAI ELIXER AT 00 SECONDS FIVE TIMES, or YUYUKO'S BUTTERFLY WALLS SUCK ASS AND SO DOES THE SAME FIVE STAGES BEFORE I'VE RAN THROUGH 600 TIMES, and for fuck's sake I'd like to not make my friends suffer because of it.

Is this the sign of true touhou addict? Complete masochism and obsession to improve his game, even if it means throwing out what made the series good to me? I think so, and I also think it's the perfect time to take a break, and lose all my skill after the first three weeks. And that's good, because I can go back to Easy and Normal to catch up and HAVE FUN AGAIN.

</rant>

Matsuri

Re: I need to stop playing.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:26 AM »
You're just a typical shmup fan. Practice, practice, and practice some more, and we forget how to have fun, so we quit, try something else, and come back to it later. I cycle through different shmups almost weekly. This week it's ESP Ra.De and Perfect Cherry Blossom. Who knows what I'll be into next week.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »
Everyone here who plays Touhou actively goes through this. The intense frustration is all part of the joy you feel when you finally accomplish whatever. Also the feeling of knowing that you're getting progressively frustrated due to above circumstances are a part of it.

For example, I had been raped by Nue over 60 times over a period of three days. And on the third day, I rose again, and all is well with the world.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:52 AM »
I can't tell you how much rage I had at EoSD Extra for the longest time until I finally beat it. The best thing to do is cycle games so you don't get too irritated with one.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
Everyone here who plays Touhou actively goes through this.
I don't!

Mind you, I stretch the definition of "plays Touhou actively." ;)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »
Everyone here who plays Touhou actively goes through this. The intense frustration is all part of the joy you feel when you finally accomplish whatever. Also the feeling of knowing that you're getting progressively frustrated due to above circumstances are a part of it.

What about when it goes from frustration to feeling like the life is completely drained out of you?

Drake

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:22 PM »

What about when it goes from frustration to feeling like the life is completely drained out of you?
Then you have ignored those feelings and thrown common sense out the window like an idiot.

Which is also normal.

Everyone here who plays Touhou actively goes through this.
I don't!

Mind you, I stretch the definition of "plays Touhou actively." ;)
But you're a cheater and should be banished off the face of the earth for hacking in lives and bombs and such. People like you are just the worst.

Jeez, man.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
But you're a cheater and should be banished off the face of the earth for hacking in lives and bombs and such. People like you are just the worst.

Jeez, man.

yeah seriously Muffin

just slow the game down and stop being so uncool >:(

anyway, i'm pretty sure i said somewhere that in order to play Touhou effectively you have to RAGE.

the only other advice i can think of is to just play the games casually. don't sit and practice and practice and practice a stage or a spellcard for like an hour straight, you won't learn a damn thing.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Is this the sign of true touhou addict? Complete masochism and obsession to improve his game, even if it means throwing out what made the series good to me? I think so
and you would be terribly wrong, walking into everyone's favorite territory because it makes you feel good

what do you do when someone destroys that territory, and then you have no happy place
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »
Maybe you should take a break from the "walls of Danmaku" Windows games and play the "killed by cheap shit you can't even see" PC98 games.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »
This is why I alternate between Normal mode and Easy mode -  I play Normal mode to become good, trying again and again to beat a stage, then taking it to practice when I have beat it, running the practice runs over and over until it's perfect, then moving on to the next stage. I study my replays when I get stuck.

But, when I just want to have fun, I go Easy mode.

It's a game. Games are supposed to be fun. Take it easy.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
anyway, i'm pretty sure i said somewhere that in order to play Touhou effectively you have to RAGE.

Are you serious?

I have only went so far as to grunt when I'm frustrated. Certainly not to the extent of the end of this video. Then again, I mostly 1cc Easy the games.

But yeah, do alternate between games or between Windows and PC-98 so that you don't exert all your frustration into one game, which is the reason why I'm staying away from UFO for now.

Meanwhile, I'll work on my RAGING skills.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »
i've never had his problem. sure, when i attempt extra stages a have a fair few tries to pass it but once i start getting frustrated i leave it alone and come back to it. more often than not i do much better then. sitting there attempting the same stage 100 times in a row is just gonna piss you off and odds are you do much worse then.

maybe its just me though

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
A steady rotation of games is a good idea. When not playing Touhou, I like Fallout 3, Polynomial, Trouble Witches, Bike Banditz, Plants vs Zombies, even Luxor. Switch it up.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »

Are you serious?

I have only went so far as to grunt when I'm frustrated. Certainly not to the extent of the end of this video. Then again, I mostly 1cc Easy the games.

well raging doesn't have to be screaming and throwing crap(BUT IF YOU WANT TO DODGE DANMAKU LIKE A JAPANESE YOU NEED TO PROBABLY), it can just be ragequitting.

or cursing if you prefer.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:37:25 PM »
that video is one of the reasons Kefit is awesome. The world needs more Kefit :D (more FallenAngelVeronica, more Sikraiken.. more everyone ^^)

To the OP, well, you would be disappointed if the Touhou games could be "completed" (1cced on every difficulty with all characters) without much effort, wouldn't you?  (even if you don't try to score in them, because aiming for 1cc involves learning -- from personal experience, for example -- when to bomb in order to spare one life)

Perhaps if you've set the "fun factor" criteria as being able to "complete" the games, you might not have been expecting such a difficulty, or you might haven't practiced the individual stages enough times. Progress is most of times slow, hardly noticeable.

What I can say for me, is that though I have lots of problems trying to score in Touhou (especially because I can't graze well, I keep dying <_>), I haven't given up the series, and probably won't (because I'm a stubborn.. determinator ). Personally, I like to score, because I'm greedy, most of the times I play, I get frustrated if I feel that I've missed enough scoring opportunities. Almost forgot.. you may want to play other shmups, and discover more options for you to entertain yourself, besides Touhou. I guarantee (kinda..) that doing so won't make you stop liking Touhou, and that this might even improve your gaming performance and/or renew your enjoyment for this series ^^
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »
Basically Touhou is for masochists

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:12 PM »
This would explain why I play Dokapon Kingdom alone as well... And why I seem to enjoy eating spicy foods, even though I find it extremely hot...

No less, if you just play Touhou all the time, you'll get sick of it and never come back. Instead get out of it a few times and come back after each runthrough. If it's frustrated you to the point where you can no longer be frustrated, then stop now and go play something else until you reach that point, or play Ikaruga. That'll make Touhou seem EASY!

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:00:33 AM »

This is true. Angry moments tend to come right before awesomeness. Like my fondest memory.

"ARGHHHHH! DAMMIT I just died with three bombs against Alice! DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT" *goes to auto-restart...* "Actually, to hell with it, let's keep going."

Then, ten minutes later, I 1cc'd Lunatic for the first time.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »
Amazingly, I've never gotten tired of Touhou since the day I started it. Enraged, yes, gone through a period where I'm starting to not see the fun, yes, but never have I gotten tired to the point of wanting to stop playing it for good. Maybe I'm just crazy.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »
If you feel burnt out, you should probably try something else for a while and come back. 
Usually after you do so you'll find yourself doing better now.  Key word being "usually"

Besides, despite strong evidence to the contrary Touhou is not the meaning of life; fundamentally it's a game - a form of entertainment.  If you are not entertained, you don't have to put yourself through playing it until you want to try it again.  Sometime later, you'll probably want to come back on your own.

Also and to repeat someone else, these games are meant to be hard~

Matsuri

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »
the end of this video.

I remember watching that video last year and wondering why the fuck he was throwing a fit like that. Then I started playing harder stuff and I notice myself screaming at my computer a lot. xD

I've even taken RAGE to a whole new level when I died on Yukari's second to last spell. There's still a nice dent in my wall from when I smashed into it with my palm. And I wasn't even trying that hard. I wonder if I could have broken straight through the wall if I put more effort into it...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:21:45 AM by Matsuri »

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 02:10:50 AM »

Mmmmmmmm

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »

Mmmmmmmm
But you are Naut, so it doesn't count.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 03:42:51 AM »
Touhou isn't about fun, it's all about seeing the "Game Clear" at the end and seeing ZUN thank you.

It's the greatest feeling ever, because it took me all summer to do in EoSD on normal.

Well, it is fun the first few times, then it's about clearing it the first time and then clearing it again on a harder difficulty.

And that's really how arcade games are: fun at first and then you get more competitive the more you play them.

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 03:44:42 AM »
Also and to repeat someone else, these games are meant to be hard~

I realize these games are supposed to be hard, and that's why I like them. They are challenging.

But there's also the difficulty select. Lunatic is the Very Hard mode of an already difficult game. It's just out of my league despite a desire to see them finished. I have the ability to do this, I'm certain, but if it means sacrificing my pleasantness as a person, no. It's not worth the bragging rights.

Maybe I should come back to these games later. I love them, I really do, but I can't take this Lunatic stuff I've moved on to. I'm not a super player, so to speak.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 05:27:24 AM »
I know everyone says "Practice, practice, practice" when it comes to getting better a Touhou, and to a certain extent, that is true. However, I find a much better format is to just play casually when you want to play Touhou, don't think "I need to practice x or y", just play to play.

EoSD Normal was my first 1cc in the series and all I did was play 1 or 2 runs every few days. I find that when you start trying to practice and memorize things it just tends to cause more problems than anything else.

Defeating Flandre was ultimately my #1 Touhou goal and I accomplished that through casual play, so just take it easy and do other things when you get frustrated.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:11 AM »
All ya gotta do is take it easy calm down. Just play normal or easy for a day, and realize how awesome Touhou is. Go watch a video or play a doujin or something.

Matsuri

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
I know everyone says "Practice, practice, practice" when it comes to getting better a Touhou, and to a certain extent, that is true. However, I find a much better format is to just play casually when you want to play Touhou, don't think "I need to practice x or y", just play to play.

EoSD Normal was my first 1cc in the series and all I did was play 1 or 2 runs every few days. I find that when you start trying to practice and memorize things it just tends to cause more problems than anything else.

Defeating Flandre was ultimately my #1 Touhou goal and I accomplished that through casual play, so just take it easy and do other things when you get frustrated.

Yeah. I've learned through experience that if you're not doing well after two or three tries, it's just not your day. If that's the case, simply play casually and see what happens, or take a break. Pushing yourself in hopes of success most often leads to frustration.