Author Topic: New Touhou fan game need a programmer!!!  (Read 5813 times)

New Touhou fan game need a programmer!!!
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:21:20 PM by HungryCat »

Re: New Touhou fan game need a programmer!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
Y'know if you want to make something as an artist, like a fangame what I don't recommend doing is taking any criticism towards you as an offense. -DRAMA ALERT-

For those unaware I've told the OP that twitter and forum threads isn't usually the best way to find a team for a fangame project, I know it worked for some like Sapphire Panlogism or other projects, but there are issues while doing so, like you can get a bunch of random people not actually doing anything or being interested. It was such a revolting thing to say that they've blocked me. Smart choice. I've figured it could be fun if I've tried to actually apply for the place anyways and it turns out that person in charge doesn't actually know how to handle anything. So I've told her. She took one part of the conversation and made a tweet about it:

Appearently now giving any nitpicks or any form of criticism towards your Touhou fangame is now considered a badmouthing. I do agree, she does have every right to block me, but I do think this is a good example of issues regarding the current Touhou fangame scene. There's so many of them and a lot of devs, good or bad (Gore for example) just loves to block people saying anything wrong about their creation or the way they handle things, soon after badmouthing and lieing about them.

I didn't want the current situation to happen, I imagine if I didn't try to get involved with the HungryCat's fangame it would probably look more promising overall and making this response probably doesn't help (and might even break the rule no. 5 of the forums), but I do think this is more than just a problem between me and the OP, I see this happen to other people, some of them being devs themselves. This is like a very basic rule of content creation.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:14:52 PM by Popcioslav »
No.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
I know it worked for some like Sapphire Panlogism or other projects

I'm going to drop in and say this: Sapphire Panlogism is the exception, not the rule. And even if we did manage to make it to a demo release, the development process has been a mess since the beginning.
If you want to make a full game, you have to be absolutely sure that your team can hold together for the entire span of time it takes (which is usually at least one full year). If you're picking up random people who say they can help, it's likely that things won't work out; try to find teammates among people you already know.

I recommend following the age-old game design advice: start with something small and work your way up from there. See if you can organize making a single boss fight script first before launching yourself into a big project. You'll be able to judge how things are going much more easily, and you won't be stuck with something big already underway if you do encounter problems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:52:37 PM by Badz »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 04:26:35 AM »
Additionally, as has been true throughout this forum's history, announcing that you intend to make a game but do not have any programmer is a pretty good indicator that you won't get anywhere, never mind having nobody on board besides yourself. "I have ideas" does not make a game. In fact you've already made a similar thread before under seemingly a different name, which also got nowhere because you were asking for programmers and didn't have much substance.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
In order to attract more attention you need a more detailed description of what you are trying to do.  Especially with programming since the skill level required varies greatly by what the goal is.  For example if it is something that can be done in the existing Danmakufu 0.12m or ph3 STG Engines or needs features/abilities these don't provide, which means you are looking at a much larger scale programming project.  It would help if you provided an example or two of existing games that work in a similar way to what you are imagining.  Ex "Imperishable Night like team based gameplay" or "Mystic Square like design with limited color palettes, low projectile count and FM Synth sound".

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
Weren't you making portraits and working with Twizzy for their fan game?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:06:45 AM »
Hoping for a response from HungryCat, though doubt it will happen. As Drake linked, that was the user's only other post on this forum.

I scanned the user's twitter and not sure if cold-approaching is an effective way of a long term "relationship" for success. Especially if you have little to no reputation. Not that it is mandatory.

@Popcioslav, well there seem to be something personal between you and the OP about that. But the rest of your post could probably function as a separate subject and discussion.

Gusano Wornis

• Member of Team Mystique
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »
They left the team just for this new fangame they're planning.

It's not like this one will be scratched and then give the rights to another person so they can finally make it a thing.
carrying dead weight since 2015~

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 05:19:16 AM »

Here's my two cents:

They were drawing the portraits for my fangame (which is still called subterranean escape & still ongoing). They left the team in order to create their own fan game which I assume is this one. I was intended to program his first fangame idea only for the discord server to be deleted because he got offended that someone on the team insulted him (I'm not even sure myself as the discord server was deleted when it happened). I recruited him after all that as an artist for my fangame. Of course, development itself has been messy, and I told him that after my fangame was completed (or finally scrapped) that I would help him with his fangame (but I guess he couldn't wait). Everyone else on here does have a solid point about using the forums for Touhou Fangames (I've seen it myself with the people I've recruited and the posts I've made for my fangame). Of course, I'm not here to judge HungryCat or anyone else that was on the team. The forums are definitely a great resource but if you don't have any substance or a reputation of being reliable as a developer, it probably won't go anywhere (I saw this with my own fangame).

And as an update for SE (for those still interested where it's going): It has progressed with development with the help of various users such as the high quality art work from Fulisha of Light and Hungry Cat himself & the criticism of development from the other previous users on the team. Of course, I'm not even sure if this fangame will gain enough traction to make it to a full demo. With the resources that we've gained, I plan to release a developer preview to see if I recruit people serious about helping this fangame idea turn into a full game.