Author Topic: LoLK Difficulty  (Read 6062 times)

Deftera Ikari

• Sin of Wrath within Chantiscor
  • I can manipulate fiery blazes and frosty ice
    • My Youtube Channel
LoLK Difficulty
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
I find it completely imbalanced
I tried normal, I got nuked pathetically on Stage 4
Then I tried easy, it's nowhere near to hard at all, I 1cc'd it with 6 lives left
What was ZUN thinking when he is making this game?

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
Re: LoLK Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
"Let's make a hard AF game"
Some time later
"Oh shit now no one can clear it, easy mode go"

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »
Easy mode is unbalanced as well if you compare it to other Easy modes.

I like joking that instead of the usual Easy-Normal-Hard-Lunatic this game's difficulties are Normal-Hard-Lunatic-Very Lunatic

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
It's a cut above the rest of the series for sure, with normal feeling nearly on par with the lunatics of other games in my opinion. However, fundamentally I think it's just as well designed as the rest of the series - just a lot harder. For what it's worth, in-story the opponents are canonically far stronger than your average Touhou fare, which explains why this game in particular is so hard.

However, remember that the main gimmick of this game is pointdevice mode, a game mode that gives you checkpoints and infinite tries. I think ZUN designed the game with this in mind, with legacy mode being the more normal mode for those who want to ignore it/already feel confident after having learned the game. If you so desire, keep on trying this game on your Touhou journey and see how you improve.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Deftera Ikari

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Normal just gets too easy when I use Reisen lol

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure the game was designed around Pointdevice. Not just the difficulty, but the patterns also feel more likely to ambush you than the rest of the series, expecting the quick retry. I wonder if LoLK is closer to the scene-based games (e.g. photo games) in design style?

Something else of note-- LoLK is longer than the other games. Most bosses have at least one more spell or nonspell than average.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
LoLK isn't the hardest game to 1CC imo. Once you've played it a couple times and memorized where the cheapshots are, it's actually not that bad at all. The patterns themselves are some of the hardest, but you get flooded with so many resources that you can bombspam your way through the whole thing. I don't think any game since MoF has had the degree of cheese that LoLK does.

Pointdevice is actually harder for that reason, since it limits your ability to bombspam by a TON. And if you're going for any kind of challenge run, well, good luck.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Deftera Ikari

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:36:49 AM »
Well PointDevice mode made me feel torture, it should be named as masochist mode