Author Topic: Ancient Trickster in Black (A Nue Quest)  (Read 16234 times)

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
Ancient Trickster in Black (A Nue Quest)
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
>You are Nue Houjuu.

>You are a type of youkai known as a nue (your parents weren’t that creative with names, it seems...), and possess the ability to conceal the true nature of yourself and other objects. You used to get quite annoyed when others discovered your “true” humanlike form, but you’ve mellowed out in that regard over the years. By nature you’re a mischievous individual, and you enjoy pulling pranks -- sometimes of a malicious nature -- on others.

>You are what would be considered an ancient youkai. You were widely feared by humans back in the golden days before Gensokyo was sealed off from the rest of the world. Unfortunately that fear lead to you being sealed underground for centuries. Needless to say, things got boring very quickly...

>You currently “live” (it’s technically not freeloading, you swear!) in the Myouren Temple with Byakuren Hijiri and her faction (she’s too nice to evict you, to your utter delight). How you came acquainted with them is a bit of a funny story: Shortly after you were freed from your imprisonment, you found that your old “buddies” Minamitsu Murasa and Ichirin Kumoi their ragtag bunch of misfits were up to something, so you decided to mess with them and planted Seeds of Unknown form into the objects they were trying to gather. Eventually, you did learn of their goals, and, feeling a bit regretful, you covertly assisted the humans that were trying to stop the incident in returning most of the objects to them. You then revealed yourself after the incident and the rest is history. However, despite living with them, you’re not integrated really deep into their faction. You only really get involved in their affairs if it affects you in some way or if Mamizou Futatsuiwa requests it.

>Speaking of Mamizou, she is a Tanuki you called in from the outside world to assist in fighting off your benefactors’ Taoist rivals, and she also happens to be your best friend. The two of you go way back, and would often assist each other in pranks in the good old days. Recently she seems to have developed a friendship with a human in the village, which you’re all too eager to tease her about. She seems to be adjusting to temple life much better than you, though.

>...

>You awaken in the small shack on the edge of the temple grounds that you live in. With a stretch and a yawn you’re ready for the day ahead.

>What do you do now?
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
Re: Ancient Trickster in Black (A Nue Quest)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
> Nue day. Get up and assess our surroundings.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
Awww, Maribel Quest is over :(?

>Thoughts on all of the other Buddhists.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
> Nue day. Get up and assess our surroundings.
>You get up, your room is the same as it's always looked. It's a bit unkempt but you don't really care. Your spellcards are sitting neatly in a pile on a desk near your bed roll, and your trident is leaning against the wall next to it.

Awww, Maribel Quest is over :(?

>Thoughts on all of the other Buddhists.
//Maribel Quest sorta stagnated to the point where it stopped being fun for me to continue. I felt less motivated to update as time went on and eventually it reached the point where I felt that if I updated it wouldn't have as much as appeal as it used to have.
//I am considering rebooting it, however, possibly after this quest has run its course.

//As almost everyone on the Relationships list so far is part of Byakuren's faction, I will post the full list for convenience.

Relationships:

>Mamizou Futatsuiwa (Best Friend)
>>A tanuki from the outside world who has an ability similar to yours. The two of you go way back, and one of your favorite pastimes was pulling pranks on people. She seems to have mellowed out a bit over the years though, and seems to have integrated into temple life better than you despite being her for less time. Recently she’s become friends with a human in the village, which you have teased her about.

>Koishi Komeiji (Friend)
>>A little Satori girl that Hijiri made into a laywoman for the temple. She seems to have absolutely no filter and acts purely on impulse. She doesn’t spend all her time at the temple, but when she’s there she gets along well with you. Judging by the way she looks at the menreiki that sometimes visits the temple, it’s pretty obvious the poor girl has a crush on her. Of course, you know for a fact that said menreiki (her name was Kokoro or something you think.) dislikes Koishi.

>Kyouko Kasodani (Friend)
>>A priestess-in-training yamibiko responsible for dealing with trespassers and cleaning the temple grounds. The two of you get along well, and you’re also secretly a fan of that punk rock band she’s in with her buddy Mystia. Of course, you’re not going to admit that fact to Hijiri, because you’ll never hear the end of it from her. Also worth noting is that, just like how you suspect that Koishi fancies the mask girl, you’re pretty sure Kyouko has feelings for her night sparrow friend…

>Byakuren Hijiri (Accepting)
>>A buddhist nun and magician that sympathises with youkai and desires to bring peace between humans and Youkai. She took you in and allows you to live at the temple despite your behavior at times. The only downside is that you occasionally have to put up with disciplinary lectures. But since you don’t really have anywhere else to go you deal with it.

>Shou Toramaru (Accepting)
>>An avatar of Bishamonten. Meaning her relationship with Hijiri is rather complex... Considering she follows Hijiri yet is also worshipped by her… Anyway, she’s a bit forgetful. However, when she's not trying to (badly) conceal the fact that she misplaced something, she’s actually a very honest and straightforward person. She was also quick to accept you after Hijiri accepted you.

>Nazrin (Neutral)
>>Shou’s servant. You both seem to be rather indifferent about each other.

>Kogasa Tatara (“Frenemy”)
>>A Karakasa who used to hang around in the temple graveyard. The two of you got along well in the past, and you’ve even helped her surprise people more than once, though your friendship is a bit strained now ever since she hooked up with Sanae Kochiya during an incident several years back.

>Minamitsu Murasa (Distrustful of you)
>>A ship ghost that’s devoted to Hijiri. The two of you have some history that goes back before the Palanquin Ship incident. In fact, she just loves it when you call her by her first name. She didn’t really like you much in the beginning, and she still doesn’t really trust you after that “seeds of unknown form” fiasco. She’s still fun to mess with, though…
>>...Secretly, you find her a bit attractive... but you’re not going to just admit that!

>Ichirin Kumoi and Unzan (Distrustful of you)
>>Another two associates of Byakuren you met long before the Palanquin Ship Incident. Ichirin isn’t as fun to mess with as Minamitsu, but she seems to share her dislike of you. Her “pet cloud” also doesn’t seem to think highly of you.
>>You do have some leverage against them should you ever need it, though. Once, while wandering, you discovered that Ichirin has a secret alcohol stash on the temple grounds. They don’t know that you know about it yet, and you’ve been keeping quiet about it until a prime opportunity to exploit that information occurs.

>Sanae Kochiya (Irritating)
>>You dislike Sanae. She’s not bad per say, but you personally find her annoying to be around. It didn’t help that during your first few encounters she insisted that you were some kind of "alien" thing or something. She is currently Kogasa’s girlfriend. You honestly don’t understand what the little umbrella sees in her...

>Miko's faction ("Enemies")
>>Toyosatomimi no Miko, Soga no Tojiko, Mononobe no Futo, Seiga Kaku, and Yoshika Miyako are the Taoist rivals of Byakuren's faction. You're technically enemies with them by association, but you don't really harbor any ill will towards any of them.

>Anyone else you’ve either never met, or don’t interact with them often enough for them to be listed here.

>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
> Examine trident and spellcards.
> While we're at it, examine ourself as well, preferably with a mirror.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
> Current location

> Inventory [Besides Trident/Spellcards]

> Any recent news?

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
> Examine trident and spellcards.
> While we're at it, examine ourself as well, preferably with a mirror.
>You examine your trident, it could use a little polishing but it's in good shape.

>Spellcards:
>>Ominous Clouds ~ Heian Dark Clouds
>>>Send clouds of darkness into the area around you, which burst into small spreads of lasers and shots

>>Unidentified ~ Red UFO Invasion of Rage
>>>Summons a circular formation of UFOs (Actually familiars infected with Seeds of Unknown Form) to fire on a target as they spiral outwards.

>>Nue Sign ~ Mysterious Snake Show
>>>Fires a circle of snake-like lasers that are difficult to navigate around with their curving trajectories and dense pattern.

>>Unidentified ~ Blue UFO Invasion of Grief
>>>Send blue UFO familiars outwards in a spiral, each firing lasers in a spiral pattern. Can easily overwhelm an opponent if they fail to destroy the familiars.

>>Nue Sign ~ Danmaku Chimera
>>>Fires a circle of rotating bullet walls that transition between the the normal rotating wall mode and lasers that stream outward from your position.

>>Unidentified ~ Green UFO Invasion of Loyalty
>>>Summons a wall of familiars that fire a large laser array if not dealt with in time.

>>Nue Sign ~ Undefined Darkness
>>>An ?up-close and personal? attack where you cloak your body in darkness, before attempting to make rushing attacks with your trident. (Or any other melee method should you not have your trident.) The darkness dissolves into a burst of danmaku shots shortly after you move.

>>Unidentified ~ Rainbow UFO Invasion of Terror
>>>Sends a fleet of rainbow UFO familiars to bum-rush the enemy, each leaving twisting trails of projectiles behind them.

>>Nightmare of Heiankyou
>>>A timeout card. Traps the opponent in grids of bullets and lasers, which restricts their movement greatly. You can?t be damaged by danmaku for the duration of this card, but you also can?t move far from the card?s area of effect when it?s active...

>>Grudge Bow ~ The Bow of Genzanmi Yorimasa
>>>Your strongest spellcard. You fire lasers out of the tips of your wings, which curve around and turn into a hail of shots. It starts off deceptively simple, but rapidly turns into a constant cascade of fast-moving lasers and shots.
>>>This card will leave you exhausted on use.

>You look in the mirror. You look the same as you always have: Black hair, red eyes, three red sickle-like "wings" on your right side and three tentacle/spear-like "wings" on your left. You're wearing the black and red dress you usually wear.

> Current location

> Inventory [Besides Trident/Spellcards]

> Any recent news?
>You are in your room on the edge of the Myouren Temple grounds, near the wall.

>Aside from your trident, clothes, and spellcards, you have ?1500 on you.

>Not really... The most recent incident was about a year ago you believe. Something was making the seasons go crazy, and according to a certain newspaper it was apparently caused by an old youkai sage trying to make herself known again.
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 04:03:11 AM »
>Consider worth of  ?. How much is a small snack, compared to what would be a house.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:45:50 AM »
>Consider worth of  ?. How much is a small snack, compared to what would be a house.
>A small snack would range from 5 to 20 mon (?) on average. A house would be at least 10-25 ryo at a minimum. A single ryo is valued at ?4000.
>_

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »
> What constitutes a snack for a Nue such as ourselves?

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »
> What abilities do we possess?

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 02:21:13 AM »
> What constitutes a snack for a Nue such as ourselves?
>You're fine with normal food. You could consume human flesh as well if you wanted to, but that would honestly be more trouble than it's worth.

> What abilities do we possess?
>You can conceal the true nature of objects. In order to conceal another person or object, you need to plant them with a Seed of Unknown form, a magical snake-like construct that you can create.
>Once planted with a seed, you can conceal the object either as something specific (at the cost of expending slightly more energy), or something undefined. The latter case may lead to multiple people having different perceptions of the same object depending on how their minds work.

>You can also conceal yourself. However, you do not need to use a Seed of Unknown form in order to do so.
>_

meow56

• Hmm...
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 02:35:38 AM »
>How has Mamizou reacted to our teasing of her human friend?
>Have we met said human friend?
>What's our reputation in the Village?
>Can we store up Seeds of Unknown Form? And if so, how many do we have?
>Does concealing things change their physical dimensions?
>Does concealing ourselves change our physical dimensions?
>Hmm. Should probably grab our spellcards, just in case...
>Do we have any obligations today?

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »
>How has Mamizou reacted to our teasing of her human friend?
>She tends to take the teasing well and never takes any real offense to it. If you weren't close friends she would probably react differently to said teasing.

>Have we met said human friend?
>No.

>What's our reputation in the Village?
>Well, you are a youkai, for one, so the average villager is less likely to trust you based on that fact alone. Though its not like you go to the village often, as you tend to stay out of it. On the rare occasions you go there for any reason, you tend to hide your true form.

>Can we store up Seeds of Unknown Form? And if so, how many do we have?
>You see no need to do so, considering you can just make one whenever one is needed.

>Does concealing things change their physical dimensions?
>Generally, no. That's more Mamizou's specialty. The exception is familiars used in spellcards, which will conform to whatever form they're given.

>Does concealing ourselves change our physical dimensions?
>It does not. Though your wings will move out of the way if you're concealing yourself as a wingless humanoid.

>Hmm. Should probably grab our spellcards, just in case...
>Do we have any obligations today?
>You consider grabbing your spellcards.
>You do not.
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
> How do we feel about our true form being seen?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
> What do we prefer to appear as if not the true form?

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
> How do we feel about our true form being seen?
>You used to get quite annoyed and upset at people who discover it. Usually attacking them in retaliation.
>However, you've since mellowed out in that regard, and you've spent more time in your true form since the Palanquin Ship incident. You still get annoyed if a stranger discovers your true form before you're ready to reveal it on your own, but you wouldn't attack them for it.

> What do we prefer to appear as if not the true form?
>Your go-to form when you don't wish to appear as anything in particular is an orb of bright light.
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
>How do we carry our items and trident?

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
>How do we carry our items and trident?
>In your pockets, of course. With the exception of the trident, which is far too big.
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »
> Consider ways for our trident to be easier to carry...
> Grab our trident and spellcards an head out.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 06:00:43 PM »
> Consider ways for our trident to be easier to carry...
> Grab our trident and spellcards an head out.
>You could probably easily rig a way to carry it on your back. Alternatively you could look into obtaining magical storage pockets, though you would probably need to speak with a magician for that. Conveniently, Hijiri is one, but you're not sure if she could make such an enchantment.

>You grab your trident and pocket your spellcards before heading to the door.

>As you push it open, you're greeted with the sensation of water sloshing over your shoes as you notice that the temple courtyard is covered in a few inches of water. You spot Kyouko frantically flying back and forth with a bucket, while Murasa stands in the center of the courtyard, commanding the water to rise into her ladle.
>_

meow56

• Hmm...
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »
>Oh no! Our shoes!
>Close the door again, I guess. (That must be one waterproof door!)
>Call out "Hey, Minamitsu! What's going on?"

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
> No harm in asking Hijiri.
> Well, just float and close our door behind us.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 06:10:04 AM »
>Oh no! Our shoes!
>Close the door again, I guess. (That must be one waterproof door!)
> No harm in asking Hijiri.
> Well, just float and close our door behind us.
>You float and close the door behind you.

>Call out "Hey, Minamitsu! What's going on?"
>Murasa stiffens at you calling her by her first name, before she glances at you, brow twitching in annoyance.
>"How many times do I need to tell you that only Byakuren is allowed to call me that...?" she frowns, "And if you must know, there was an intense thunderstorm overnight. Did you seriously manage to sleep through that?"
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
> "My, so you and Hijiri are like that... Excuse me then♪"

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
> "My, so you and Hijiri are like that... Excuse me then♪"
>"I owe her my life, nothing more." she frowns, "Now don't you have anything better to do than annoy me?"
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
>"Maybe. What's with the little flood?"

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 07:16:21 AM »
>"Maybe. What's with the little flood?"
>"Didn't I already tell you about the thunderstorm?" she frowns.
>_

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
> Shrug.
> "I didn't hear anything."
> Look around, then to the ground, then her, with a surprised face.
> "Hey, Minamitsu! What's going on?"
> Interrupt her if she says something regarding the repeat in specific.
> "Kidding kidding. Anything noteworthy aside from this?"

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
> Shrug.
> "I didn't hear anything."
> Look around, then to the ground, then her, with a surprised face.
> "Hey, Minamitsu! What's going on?"
> Interrupt her if she says something regarding the repeat in specific.
> "Kidding kidding. Anything noteworthy aside from this?"
>The annoyed look on her face is priceless.
>You cut her off as she opens her mouth to say something.
>She sighs, "No, not really... The newspaper tengu came by this morning, if you're interested in the daily news. Nazrin has the paper right now, last time I checked."
>_