Topic: [VLP] The Disappearing of Gensokyo - For Touhou, fandom is canon?  (Read 885 times)

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
  • Nickname: Gesh
Hello fellow maidens! As much as I enjoyed the screenshot format, I was dead-set from the start that I wouldn't be abandoning Video Let's Plays. So here's my newest project: A Touhou fangame that I was fairly certain I would be covering after just my first session of playing it. It is one of the more influential ones to be released in the last few years:

The Chinese developer MyACG Studio seems to have been very indecisive about whether it's to be called "Disappearance" or "Disappearing" of Gensokyo . Early physical versions from 2016 use "Disappearance", but on the Steam version of this year, "Disappearing" is used exclusively. It's a top-down action game where you have one side of your controls (by default: WASD) moving your character and the other your aim (by default: The mouse). In short: A twin-stick shooter. There are also minor RPG-elements to the gameplay.

I'll often be abbreviating the long title of the game as its initials, "DoG". I find that much more hilarious than I should admit...

The story starts off basic enough: Strange beings carrying the name "sinsacks" have found their way into Gensokyo and are becoming a nuisance to everybody. It is up to Eldest Daughter Tenshi Hinanawi to find out why they are appearing, where they are coming from, and, most importantly, to put a stop to all this nonsense!

Now there was something that made me almost not make this thread: We already had someone from our community cover this game in a Let's Play format, Your Everyday Neet. Apart from enjoying what I saw myself, I think it is necessary to point there, otherwise I would seem ignorant.
I pondered hard whether this was a reason I wouldn't host my own Let's Play of it here. How many Let's Plays of the same game can fit on a single forum? I think Neet's and my techniques and opinions are different enough that the projects can be distinguished from each other. After all, Neet narrated by subtitle, mine is done by voice. If my squawking takes you out of the experience, you have an alternative. If you like what you hear on the other hand, you're at the right place.
I hope multiple people making Let's Plays of the same game on our forum is alright? I'm open for concerns. I agree that if there were a third dude coming along with the same idea, it would get comical! :D

Additional info on this playthrough:

- None of the purchasable DLC characters/weapons will be used. I do own them, but I currently have them all deactivated. If we were to use any, the value of the Let's Play as a strategy guide would be severely hampered, as it would spell out "pay for a certain DLC to have an easier time with a boss".
- Lorebooks we find in the levels will be screenshotted within this thread and ignored in the video. That's so that the action will have a better flow.
- Even though some non-DLC characters are underpowered compared to the meta, I'll try to give each at least some amount of screentime.
- If I miss one of the 48 (more or less) hidden magic pieces, I'll mention in the thread where it can be found.
- Upgrade configuration and new unlocks will also be part of the thread, not necessarily of the video.
- Chosen difficulty is Normal. It may seem deceptively easy-going at first...
- As always for me, commentary was done after recording the video footage (post-commentary).

List of videos for quick navigation:

Part 01 - She's Your Anti-hero
Part 02 - Frozen Like English Beef
Part 03 - Rascally Orbital Rabbit
Part 04 - I'm Not Officer, Drunk!
Part 05 - Everyone Gets Their Just Deserts
Part 06 - Your Fairy Mafia Godmother
Part 07 - Duchess Nukem
Part 08 - Po-po-po-po-poke Her Face!
Part 09 - The Catgirl that is also Elon Musk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:11:07 pm by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Re: [VLP] The Disappearing of Gensokyo - For Touhou, fandom is canon?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:18:41 pm »

This is the "lorepost" for episode 1! Let's view the four messages of stage 1 we couldn't be bothered to stop for during the video. They're actually quite extensive:

In the very first chamber of the level, we get an introduction to who Tenshi is. A very terrible person. Mostly, at least. The second half is white-knighting to her rescue a little.

Second chamber and we have to learn about Iku. Now here they're really mixing up fandom and canon. Tenshi and Iku have only met by chance and are, at best, indifferent to each other. Before we get too annoyed at what we're seeing here, know this: I think making their stance to each other fanonical for this game was done very deliberately and with an idea in mind. We'll get more into that as the Let's Play goes on.

This lies in Mystia's room and can't be read before meeting her. As sweet and huggable as Mystia comes across in this game, MyACG stays earnest for her description. All canonical, as far as I can tell.

Some general information how the world of Gensokyo came into existence, as well as a mention of Yukari and Reimu, the two people that allow the barrier to stay up. This lorebook can be found just in front of hostile Clone-Tenshi.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:52:43 pm by Gesh86 »

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
  • Nickname: YEN
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:48:41 pm »
Anyone can LP a game whenever they wish. Even if that game already LPed before. It's not like I'll go: "Hey! You LPed a game that I LPed before! Take it down or I'll report you and delete your account to oblivion! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!". There's no restrictions on Lets Play. It's just you have to offer something unique to your LP or else your LP is drowned by the competition.

Also, the toggle camera. I didn't know about it at all. I fail to see the point in that. It's really bad for fighting and the character model themselves is...

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »
There's no restrictions on Lets Play. It's just you have to offer something unique to your LP or else your LP is drowned by the competition.

Very true. Little point in putting more of the same of an overplayed game out there. I think DoG isn't there yet. I hope. I want it to be like that   :V

Also, the toggle camera. I didn't know about it at all. I fail to see the point in that. It's really bad for fighting and the character model themselves is...

It's recommended for model viewing and absolutely nothing else. Don't look at them too close to bedtime!  :D

I've got something done today:

Coming up are another four lorebooks that we completely ignored during episode 2:

This one is next to the second magic piece, slightly obscured but visible if you try hard enough. So now we have a name: White Tenshi. That does not answer how she found Gensokyo and how she could enter it.

We find this just before we cross the bridge to Cirno's arena. As avatars of natural powers, fairies are eternal. We can beat them up all we want, they won't stop existing. For the sake of the game though, they do stay dead long enough that you can advance through the levels.

Some more lore can be found in the niche of the third magic piece. I argue that among the Three Fairies of Light, at least Luna Child is smarter than Cirno, as she likes to read. But yes, with many ifs and buts and comparatively to her peers, you could make a claim that Cirno isn't too stupid.

Southwest of the crash-site, and it's about Byabya. The last sentence is in reference to her urban legend of Touhou 14.5, Turbo Granny. Her motorbike, believe it or not, is also in this game. We'll talk about that some other time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:05:48 pm by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:39 pm »
We're slashing and singing and freezing our way through the early parts of the game. Episode 3 gives you some more of that, and a few new faces to look at. One of them you don't want to stare at too long for the sake of your sanity.

It's almost not worth making a screenshot for this early in the game, but our perk loadout is:

"Dowsing Rod 1 - You have a chance to gain blue points when hit." The mentioned icons will drop out of your character and will then have to be picked up from the floor. Getting hit is never good, but this is a nice consolation at least.

Reading time has come once again:

Visible as soon as you enter the level. Don't forget your umbrellas, or else they become Kogasa!
...On second thought, leave them behind on purpose, so that we'll have more Kogasas.

This one's in the niche of the first magic piece. I do find the fact interesting that Reisen can make herself irresistably beautiful through her powers. It reminds me of a certain scene in Forbidden Scrollery. The merchant Reisen was disguised as seemed really cute before the unmasking. Afterwards it was like she lost her make-up...

When you've survived the ricocheting gauntlet of magic piece nr. 2, you can inform yourself about the armpit miko. Very thoroughly. I think this is the largest block of text thus far. With how much her power is emphasized here, you'll have to wonder if she will be our friend during this adventure. Would be great to have her on our side.

At the third magic piece, only a small entry is dedicated to the overpowered Lunarian overlords. If they disrespect us, we'll disrespect them right back!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:05:54 pm by Gesh86 »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:43 am »
Tenshi's dumb. She kicked out Cirno and Mystia and replaced them with Reisen. She's easily the weakest character in the game and Cirno and Mystia are much better character compared to Reisen.

The other comically overpowered DLC character is Youmu Konpaku. Both her and Kogasa turns the game into cheese walk.

That's strange. Why can't I see the pictures for the documents?

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:57 pm »
Tenshi's dumb. She kicked out Cirno and Mystia and replaced them with Reisen. She's easily the weakest character in the game and Cirno and Mystia are much better character compared to Reisen.

I do remember your stance on DoG's Reisen. Apart from her effectiveness, her personality will be a talking point, don't worry  ;).

The other comically overpowered DLC character is Youmu Konpaku. Both her and Kogasa turns the game into cheese walk.

I've played as Youmu too little to speak for myself here. The running theme is that almost all paid characters are at least a little too strong.

That's strange. Why can't I see the pictures for the documents?

All screenshots look normal to me. Could it be that a specific browser is having issues with imgur? (Mine's Chrome)

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 06:41:15 am »
Youmu's bomb has her going into melee mode for 8 seconds or so, greatly increasing her attack and defense. This allows her to slice the enemies and wipe a whole group of them in no time flat. You can also use this to trade blows with the boss, tanking their bullets and wins.

I use Google Chrome (Android ver) as well. And now I can see the pictures. That's... Really weird... Probably it's because of my crappy Internet Provider.

Oh yeah, did you know you can view the character tutorial (Like the one in my thread) in the stage by pressing F1? I don't. Because the game didn't tell me that.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 07:08:28 pm »
Oh yeah, did you know you can view the character tutorial (Like the one in my thread) in the stage by pressing F1? I don't. Because the game didn't tell me that.

Never heard of that. I'll try it out sometime!

Today's update comes only a week after the last. That's because the scheduled Episode 4 is pretty short. It's probably going to stay the shortest throughout the whole Let's Play. It's almost as short as the new girl that appears in it:

Loadout for what we're up against:

"Melee Defense - You resist 25% of melee damages." It should be easy enough to tell what attacks are physical and what's a bullet. If the former is a bigger factor in a fight, pick this.
"Quick Recharge Beta - Shield recharge starts 0.5 seconds earlier." Shield charging takes a good few seconds to boot up. If you get hit, say, every 3 seconds by something small, the timer restarts anew. This can keep repeating over and over until you're dead. This perk will protect you from exactly that.

Since the playing field is so compact today, you probably won't be surprised that there is only one lorebook to find:

Nor should it be any wonder who it's about. The sheet of paper is all the way at the donating box, at the back end of the arena. Getting to it before aggroing the boss is impossible from what it seems. Do not try to read while the encounter is in order, you'll get pummeled. Save it for the 10-second grace period after you have won. Or just be content seeing it right here.
I've never heard of Suika's ability's secondary effect . Drawing or dispersing crowds? Does she manipulate the folks' minds? What I did hear though is that if Suika offers a person a drink, they cannot decline, even if they wanted to a moment before. Perhaps it's not so wild after all?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:14:11 pm by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:13:10 pm »
I've got something to add to the previous episode: If you play on Hard or Lunatic, you'll hear another vocal track sung by Senya during Suika's bossfight. Just like the instrumental festival music it replaces, it's a rearrange of Broken Moon and known as "Psychic Satellite - Empty Dramatic"

I hope you can spare a few minutes away from the new Luna Nights content and watch Episode 5! I had to vow to myself not to start playing before getting this done today.

Edit after noticing my mistake: Our loadout is a combination of what we had in parts 3 and 4:

Dowsing Rod 1 and Quick Recharge Beta

In the new and bizarre environment we're travelling in are four lorebooks with sometimes more and sometimes less informative content:

Our first page is located between Marisa's recruitment and encountering the wimpy Celestial. Most of this is right, Marisa does have a hoarder problem for example. Reimu being her rival could be misunderstood though: They're a little competitive from time to time, but also very close as friends. Canonical Marisa is closer with Reimu than Alice I'd argue.

This one is where you get the first magic piece, or, where you would get it if the game didn't hate you. Alice is somewhat of an introvert, but still one of the kinder Magicians within Gensokyo. Number one rule in getting along with her is not being Sakuya.

Do you really want to know where you can read up on this one? It's on the hill of the second magic piece. Even if this late sinsack had met Iku (the Azure Fortress has not yet been stormed by his kind), I think he grossly overinterpreted the social contact they had with each other. They didn't have with each other, sorry!

The last lorebook lies within the dangerous alcove of the third magic piece. It's what I've been saying early on in the video: There are no deserts in Gensokyo, nor buses that will take you there!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:07:40 pm by Gesh86 »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:40 am »
Luna Night, eh? Heard it's really freaking good.

I didn't know that one of the Magic Pieces is influenced with which route the celestial took. That's pretty bad.

Marisa is surprisingly effectively in boss fights as well when fully upgraded. Her really fast move speed means she can dodge without spending her previous stamina, her 999 bullets means she won't need reloading even against later bosses, and her bombs has real nasty DPS .

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
Luna Night, eh? Heard it's really freaking good.

I've played through all the content we have so far and think it's prime contender for Touhou fangame of the year 2018 (if it fully releases before 2019, that is).

Marisa is surprisingly effectively in boss fights as well when fully upgraded. Her really fast move speed means she can dodge without spending her previous stamina, her 999 bullets means she won't need reloading even against later bosses, and her bombs has real nasty DPS .

Buying her blacksmith stuff has high priority. She'll become that bosskiller yet.

This just in: Part 6 will take longer to make than usual, as I'll be spending a week or so for an unrelated side video project I've been meaning to take on for a while now. Once that's done, this LP will resume.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 02:03:23 pm »
And we're back with a new release, a session of fairy hunting that has shaped up to be episode 6:

The configured lineup to help us oppose these menacing mutant fairies is:

Dowsing Rod 1 and...
"Quick Recharge Alpha - Shield recharging rate is increased by 250%" That's a tall number and it basically translates into that once the shield starts charging, it's back to full almost instantly. The disadvantage is that you need to drop Quick Recharge Beta for this and the charging process itself begins with a higher delay. It's hard to say whether Alpha or Beta is better. We swapped this out just to be different, mostly.

The logbooks of today have undoubtedly all been written by the same person:

Found in the phantom team's territory. A White Tenshi had her peach eaten. The grammar may be extremely poor, but these are nonetheless readable sentences. That's progress!

This one is in the northeast where you can find the second magic piece (the boring one). There are still grave typos, but the language itself has further improved to an almost normal level. It seems White Tenshi's departure to Gensokyo was not intentional.

The last note lies in the northwestern corner, where the final black fairy was encamped. White Tenshi and Black Alice seem to have known each other even before getting to Gensokyo.
What is this orphanage that is written about here? Is it the one managed by Grelod the Kind? If so, she needs to watch her back.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 11:58:29 am »
We're widening our roster today. Cirno will melt if we store this one too close to her:

Episode 7 has come today with new friends, but also new foes. Perhaps even a frenemy? The perk configuration consists of three items this time:

Dowsing Rod 1, Quick Charge Beta and...
"Fast as Rabbit - Increase maximum of dash energy by 50%" The need to dash often comes in bunches. This perk neglects stamina regeneration for more dashes in total. Usually, the downtime between groups is still enough to get back all of it, so Fast as Rabbit is a good choice in my eyes.

Time to read a few logs. There were a total of four to be found:

A fairly brief introducting of Touhou. She indeed has the soul of Yatagarasu in her and a nuclear arm cannon (third leg). Also, she has a foot of cooled reactor material and a cape with a galaxy motif on its inside. You can somewhat understand ZUN when he mentioned she was overdesigned...
The existence of boogiewoman Satori is also aluded to here. The text snippet can be found a little ways behind the black fairy of magic piece number 1.

This one is behind magic piece number 2, past the bridge over the river. The interview between Aya and Satori puts a lot of emphasis on Koishi. The reason for this I think I can already reveal: Koishi does appear in DoG, Satori does not.
The information about Koishi being good and always nice isn't something you should take Satori's word on. Koishi is indeed one of the more emotionally unbalanced and generally unpredictable girls within Gensokyo.

Interestingly, you never saw this logbook in the video. Just when you're about to take the stairs onto the festival stage, you can also pick an alley that leads you westward. In it, there's the information as well as a full ammo restoration.
The mentioned incident is of course Hopeless Masquerade. Unless she is unhinged by losing some of these masks, Kokoro is very predictable and has even been allowed to perform for the villagers.

There was a moment where this logbook could be seen early in the video, but we could not have gone for it due to level barriers. Once again, when you're at the festival stage, go northward instead and you'll find it in an alley that serves no other purpose.
Forbidden Scrollery paints a completely different picture of the humans' attitude towards Youkai. They don't want them to be out in the open, the previously mentioned Kokoro being a special exception. Mamizou for example takes great care to stay disguised when on the streets. No one except the readers of the manga recognize her and it would cause an outrage if the peasants did.
In short, fandom wackiness at its finest! That Heaven Hotel does not exist.

The decision to replay the stage off-camera has increased our point icon count by roughly 300. It'll help a little with affording more in the future, but as I said early on: You don't need to redo stages unnecessarily often to get what you want. We should have enough for the most crucial upgrades before the game ends.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:05:13 pm by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 08:53:10 pm »
All 66 emotions are condensed into today's video:

And all that in a fairly short Episode 8. It has something in common with another number dividable by 4, in that we only need to defeat one single enemy. No more. Can't be that hard, right?
Our perk configuration makes a big difference today. The first one has never been equipped before:

"Ranged Defense - You resist 10% of ranged damage" - A tenth can make the difference between life and death. Except if you run into the spider web. Just don't get caught in it! The only other attack this takes no effect on today would be the tackling wolf mask that we saw for but a few seconds and that really isn't especially relevant.
Quick Charge Beta and Fast as Rabbit are also there.

We've got a novelty case today: No logbooks! You may still want to read up on snippet 3 of the previous post, as it has more relevance today than it did back then.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 03:11:01 pm »
New phantoms are rapidly introduced today. Among the newcomers of Episode 9 is a fuzzy, unshaven lady who works as a stunt-double for Cousin It and became the inventor of Hair Metal in her free time:

I'm thankful for Kagerou getting some more screentime. There was an appearance of her in Double Focus, but it was rather brief. I consider her a fresh, non-overused Touhou, compared to many from the older games.

What kind of loadout are we packing against such a savage beast?

Dowsing Rod 1, Quick Recharge Alpha and...
"Quick as Panther - Dash energy regenerates 25% faster" - The other dash enhancemener (Fast as Rabbit) enables you to dash more in quick succession. This one is very different in that it's more helpful in the long term, when you're only occasionally evading. It's hard to say which is definitively better.

Near each magic piece will be another lorebook, ignored in the video but given extra attention right here:

By coincidence, this textlog can be seen in the first screenshot of this forum post. It's located at Super Kagerou's niche and is about our respected wolfgirl. The way I understand it, a Loup-Garou like Kagerou is actually a wolf-like-youkai and not a human that turns into a werebeast. The full moon doesn't fundamentally transform her, it only makes her hairier than usual. Her vain demeanor is made even funnier to me because of this.
I also agree that Kagerou has a great dresscode. It's so mean how Touhou 14's heroines make fun of it only due to the low combat practicality.

Found on the swamp peninsula where the second magic piece is and it's about the mutant, edgelordly black fairies. From the mentioning of Patchouli and "the mistress", this must have been left by either Meiling or Sakuya. The "otherworldly guest" is definitely one of the phantoms and my guess is that it's who we meet at the 10-minute-mark.

This can be found right next to the stage's final Sinsack, the one that must have been placed more as a joke. Are the residents of the Scarlet Devil Mansion really that isolationist and hostile? I would have expected them to only be so during the Scarlet Mist Incident when they had dirt to hide. I'm having the suspicion that whoever left this one grossly exaggerates and dramatizes, like they want the place to fit into a campfire horror-story.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:46:37 pm by Gesh86 »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Theme based on ModernDark64 design by BlocWeb
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.