Author Topic: Touhou in Powerpoint? Does this count as fangame? Call it 東方簡報戰?  (Read 5445 times)

A long time ago (Around 1 year ago?) I started Touhou, Shining Shooting Star took my 2hu virginity funny enough, EoSD being my second.

Now I suck at Danmakufu, I don't know how to code, but I have always wanted to make my own Touhou game.

I am not an engineer nor am I familiar with it, so there's no way for me to make anything out of nothing, but then I have a thought, "Can you make it on Powerpoint?"

It's possible I suppose? :D I will see if I can make anything out of it.

東方簡報戰 <- Touhou PowerPoint Fight or Touhou PPF (What a stupid name :/)

Technically, it's possible in the sense that any game is possible.

But you can't make a classic bullet hell in power point - at most, you could manage a visual novel.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Now I suck at Danmakufu, I don't know how to code, but I have always wanted to make my own Touhou game.
Coding is something that can be learned, regardless of your background. It is pure willpower, right mindset and patience. There are dozens of tutorials available to get started. Don't take it personal, but your response comes over as lazy and uninterested.

I am not an engineer nor am I familiar with it, so there's no way for me to make anything out of nothing,
Good thing you don't have to make something out of nothing, that is core reason Danmakufu exists. The author, mkm, didn't want everybody to create a Touhou smhup out of nothing every time, thus he has provided us the engine.

but then I have a thought, "Can you make it on Powerpoint?"
As mentioned above, and as far as I know: You can't.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:26:41 AM by Helepolis »

Yeah there's a huge reason why (imo): There's no RNG element in PowerPoint, everything is static.

So it all goes down to only memorization and possibly reaction (If you are playing for the first time of course).

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
I recall that someone on the Len'en Discord made a really basic 'danmaku shooter' in PowerPoint.

And PowerPoint is probably *capable* of a proper danmaku game, but is it recommended? No.

Yeah, that was me. I made it using animations, and while working on it, I ran into these problems:

1. Lots and lots of lag. Powerpoint wasn't made to have hundreds of bullets flying around.
2. I couldn't find a way to make the bullets appear, so all of them had to be put there before the spell started. This means that it's nearly impossible to make a full game in Powerpoint, because of the lag.
3. I couldn't find a way to have a playable character, so I had to make it mouse-controlled. This, ironically, makes the hitbox too big for any tight dodges - any difficulty above normal mode would be very literally impossible to dodge. The bullet hitboxes are also extremely large.
4. I could not give the boss a health bar, so it had to be a timeout spell.

I'm sure that with some more knowledge of Powerpoint, you could make bullets appear on command, or add a player character; but the lag will always be there. I also have no idea how one would go about adding enemies with health. It would take hundreds of slides; one for each enemy formation, nonspell, and spellcard. Recording scores would be a mess; there would be no replays, pausing, or shottypes; the list goes on.

Making a danmaku game in Powerpoint is possible, but not ideal in any way.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
Re: Touhou in Powerpoint? Does this count as fangame? Call it 東方簡報戰?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Well apparently PowerPoint is Turing Complete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjxe8ShM-8

So, yes, definitely. But only if you're really clever and know it inside out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:58:42 PM by Hope ♦ Metal »