Author Topic: ppirc spam  (Read 7711 times)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
ppirc spam
« on: July 25, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
ppirc is currently being spammed by multiple bots joining every few minutes, posting a bunch of links and immediately disconnecting. Just letting you guys know in case you weren't aware already.

Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Hieda no Mukyu

• Eastern philology in limbo
Re: ppirc spam
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
Out of curiosity, does some sort of ?Freenodegate? actually exist?

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, does some sort of ?Freenodegate? actually exist?

Encyclopedia Dramatica is a satirical / humorous with NSFW thrown in styled wikipedia. All links go that website. Needless to say, it's all hoax.

Hieda no Mukyu

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »
Merci, Lebon.

I actually browsed bits of Encyclopedia Dramatica years ago. I got the impression that while most of it was pure satire, it also included actual (twisted and offensively written, but not entirely fictional) information on some controversial topics, of interest to 4chan users and the like. That?s why I decided to ask whether this ?scandal? was partially based on a true story. Also, I have known people who like Freenode a lot, so this one caught my attention.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
According to someone in scarlet library, all the evidence is fake. Like, blog posts from "2016" on a domain registered 5 days ago fake.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:22 PM »
The gist of it as I've been explained to by someone is that this person likely has some sort of great vendetta against freenode staff, and they've set up these fake sites and posts in order to fabricate self-condemning statements to then direct people to with the spam floods, acting as though they're uncovering wrongs. It's an incredibly stupid, clumsy, and transparent smear campaign and it's only a couple of IPs that are doing all this so it's likely a single person.

This is affecting a ton of networks, just to note. Because they only use a couple IPs you can just ban those hostmasks if possible. If you don't have ban capabilities but can do other modes you can set the channel to +s so the bots can't discover the channel.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:28:41 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hieda no Mukyu

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
Thank you very much, folks. *bows*

I feel I have wasted your time, but hey, this way I could avoid browsing ED myself ? which would have felt like feeding the troll, more than this.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:30:58 AM »
I wouldn't call it only a few IPs; there's far too many to simply ban the hostmasks. Also there's been a spambot message about every 10-20 minutes for over 2 days.
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/irc/cheeselog/ppirc/%23pc-99/%23pc-99.07-25-2018.log
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/irc/cheeselog/ppirc/%23pc-99/%23pc-99.07-26-2018.log
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:33:22 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 04:29:14 AM »
If you have ops privileges in a channel, setting +s to the channel mode makes it unlisted, keeping bots from finding and joining the channel.

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Apologies for the delay in handling this. I am recovering from my kidney transplant operation. The bot(net) is for now blocked.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
Thank you for taking care of this annoyance and get well soon.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »
Apologies for the delay in handling this. I am recovering from my kidney transplant operation. The bot(net) is for now blocked.

Oh shit, congrats on that.