Topic: [Music CD]s that mimic ZUN games: Uncreatable Idea Extra and Brilliant Works CD  (Read 777 times)

I originally made this thread for Uncreatable Idea seen below, however with more and more Music albums coming with high quality, but not being really games thus ending up overshadowed I've decided to give them a place in case anyone appreciates them as much as I do. If you found any music CDs like this or Elemental Quintet. please post them here, I'm really curious!

Once again, I'm not sure if this is the best place to share this, but user named Burnyho made a pretty nice replication of standard Touhou game formula, with story, music... well only without actual gameplay. The character art is made Ringo Nosuke. As of right it was released with 15 (16?) tracks and 6 stages with strong hints of extra stage being released soon. The project was written in japanese so I honestly have no clue what's going on in the plot, but I'm pretty sure the theme seems to be medicine/artificial people/science or how the author put it "I wonder if it's good to bring European science into the East" ?

Link to the first part (Stages 1~3): Youtube , Nico
Link to the second part (Stage 4~6):  Youtube , Nico
Also here's Soundcloud account with each individual song and nico one.

The titles of the songs:
1. Fantasy Research Laboratory                                                                             (Title screen theme)
2. Gensokyo in Silence ~ Silent Incident                                                                (Stage 1 theme)
3. Singing Mandragora ~ Lunatic Song                                                                  (Nasu Kanoko's theme)
4. An Utterly Unprecedented Bizarre Case                                                           (Stage 2 theme)
5. Inscrutible Tea Party ~ Strange Teaparty                                                          (Theophilia Cinnabar's theme)
6. Fantastic Night Flight Behind the Shrine Grounds                                          (Stage 3 theme)
7. Melusina of Subservience ~ Dragonmaid                                                         (Melusina Brittany's theme)
8. Lakebed Shoot-Out                                                                                               (Stage 4 theme)
9. Chemical Trigger happy                                                                                        (Kabino A. Hekiko's theme)
10. The Fantasy Philosophy that the Girl Sang of ~ Fantastic Neoplatonism  (Stage 5 theme)
11. White-Coated Creator God ~ Dream of Dr. Jaldabaoth                                (Phillipa A.T.B. von Hohenheim's theme)
12. The Truth Casts a Shadow on the World of Reality                                       (Final Stage theme)
13. Perfect Human ~ Dream of Humanity                                                             (Hinoide Ai's theme)
14. Eastern Postscript Story ~ An Utterly Unchanging and Stimulating Daily Life        (Extra stage theme)
15. Can the Corpus Delicti be Proven?                                                                   (Theophilia's second theme)
16. Knowing Not Love, Humans Know Grief                                                         (Ending theme)
17. Reverie Pursuit Laboratory                                                                                (Staff Roll theme)
18. Player's Waltz                                                                                                       (Game Over theme)

Just wanted to share these and ask if anyone would like to help translating this? I'm legit curious about the story and I really love the soundtrack.
EDIT: Scroll down for mp3 download link and Gilde's summary
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:58:14 pm by Popcioslav »
No.
Re: [Music CD] 東方人哀篇 ~ Uncreatable Idea. by Burnyho
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:57 pm »
Whoooa, this is really cool!  and the music's pretty awesome.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm loving what I'm listening to so far!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:33 am »
(stomps into the room w/ one leg real heavily like a sumo wrestler) heLLO

i wrote up a summary of the story + char.title/bgm/stage title/spell translations yesterday, here u go:

https://pastebin.com/1qMWZLeV

(some of the song titles are different bc of TL Accuracy Reasons and some of them are different for 'i just phrased it that way w/o thinking too hard about it' reasons :V)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:44:44 am »

i wrote up a summary of the story + char.title/bgm/stage title/spell translations yesterday, here u go:

(some of the song titles are different bc of TL Accuracy Reasons and some of them are different for 'i just phrased it that way w/o thinking too hard about it' reasons :V)

Thank you as ever for the translations Gilde! ♥  Oh man, I can't wait for the EX stage now.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:49:37 am »

Thank you GIlde, this is amazing! Can't believe it just took you so little time.

The fact that stage 5 boss truly is the mastermind was kind of a cool detail that reminded me of SA and DDC...huh ...
Also again, totally my fault, but thanks for clarifying final boss' full name. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to Ai (as in A.I.) or Al (as in Alphred/Alfred - since there were so many european names in this already). Also the plot kind of sounds like Touhou Forever - no youkai incident? HMMMM... I'm actually not surprised Reimu's the only main character this time. Marisa probably is still resting until youkai will start acting again.

And also huge thanks for the bgm translation correction. To tell you the truth, I just took most of them from here thinking if author/someone translated it for Burnyuho it must be right. The only issue being the last two tracks, which I had to look up from soundcloud links and such. I'm really terrible with japanese as you see, but thank you.

EDIT: Also in case anyone would be interested (I know I was before I just converted them myself) the creator/burnyuho/Uzuki Neigh prepared mp3 download for songs in this album (the password is: idea). Now it's actually a music CD ^^;

Also game over theme is there and it's title is " プレイヤーズワルツ " ... "Player's Waltz" ? Google translate can't save me here
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:11:34 am by Popcioslav »
No.

First things first: Extra stage to 東方人哀篇 ~ Uncreatable Idea. has been released by Burnyuho. It's a pretty good way to end an already good package. If you liked the story and characters of the originals you might especially enjoy one character making a return. Oh and stage theme seems to be a remix of few ZUN songs already, pretty cool. No idea how to translate theme titles though.

seriously I wonder why Mrs. Cinnabar is back, I do get that she's supposed to author's avatar of some sorts, but she felt like the only unrelated character in the story, that being said, now the description of her species makes sense

Secondly - and the reason this is appearently not just Uncreatable Idea thread anymore, artist known as khirio partnered together with his pal Nokisaki Furin and also tried something similar with their trial release of Touhou Shukanto ~ Brilliant Works:

You can find individual songs here on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/khirio/sets/brilliant-works-trial-ver
And individual art on pixiv: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=70850484

Ost names seem to be:
1. Candlelight Bridge
 2. Vermilion Sky
 3. White Messenger
 4. Wickedest Forest
 5. Blustery Staccato
 6. Foggy Twilight
 7. Silhouette in the Dusk
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:41:49 pm by Popcioslav »
No.
Whooa, this is really cool!  Thanks for sharing Popcioslav! 

Do you know if Brilliant Works will be a proper fangame or just a fan album?
Do you know if Brilliant Works will be a proper fangame or just a fan album?
Everything I shared and will share here is for 99,9% going to just stay as fan albums, just with fangame disguise.
 Book of Star Mythology is the only fan album to be turned into a fangame as far as I know.
No.
    Uncreatable EX summaryyyy. voila!

Summary of Brilliant Works:
    For some reason the evening glow has been stretching on for hours each day. Weird!! Let's go investigate!!
    • Stage 1 boss is Wakaba Yahata, a carrier pigeon youkai. The Stage 2 boss slashed her mailbag and now she's dropping letters everywhere whoops
    • Stage 2 boss is Kazari Kamakura, a kamaitachi. ...That's about it! She's just a plain ol' kamaitachi without any quirky twist or whatever. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    • Stage 3 boss is Yu Mikage, a youkai responsible for urban legends of "shadow people". Her shadow powers are strongest at sunset, so she's been enjoying the incident... but as she informs the protagonist, it's not real sunset. The flow of time hasn't been affected or anything; it's just that someone's emitting a huge amount of light well into nighttime. Off we go to find them!
    Also here's what the original JP titles for some of the songs are (the ones not listed are the same as the official English alt titles, just in katakana).

• 1. Bridge of Dreams, Lit by the Setting Evening Sun
      (*the "setting evening sun" part (夕日のさして) is taken from one of Sei Shonagon's poems in the Pillow Book, specifically the same poem about the seasons that ZUN drew the "youyou" part of PCB's title from)
    • 4. Enchanted by the Forest's Magic
      (*the phrasing used here (魔法にかけられて) is the same as the JP title of the 2007 movie Enchanted?? not sure whether coincidence or not :U)
    • 5. Staccato of Strong Gales
    • 7. Silhouette Floating in the Dusk
      (*these two are just splitting hairs really)

(i love it whenever a tracklist comes with simplified or even wholly different english titles like with ZUN's music CDs)
    Thank you a lot for the summary, gilde!  Always awesome to read your translations! ♥

That being said, huh, the Ex boss sure has a lot of obscure references to her spellcards.  Most of them which I couldn't even find through google-fu.  Still, that OST is 10/10, I'm loving it and the new album's too!
    Few things I've gotta hit on.
    Personally to me I don't mind weird references on Theophilia after all. Actually I really like the idea of Crime/Investigation involving youkais since due to their inhuman and often impossible powers they indeed would be capable of Perfect Crime, I wish something like that was done again, but better (I know White Names Spoiled Past did that, but again, I felt like it could've been handled better).
    Regarding the reference, I don't think the creator is like that, Theophilia most likely however. Even in the teaser before the extra video he posted this, which seems to be containing parts of "The Corpus Delicti" novel. All those references make her seem like someone who would be in an episode of "Making a Murderer" and I think it's interesting idea nonetheless? Someone appearing as a social stage 2 boss, there's no way they are actually a cold-blooded killer above the law, is there? I do think showcasing that truly the most powerful and disturbing things in Gensokyo are those small fries is a good narrative point. I was kind of hoping with ZUN doing this with Eternity after implying she's a Tokoyo no Kami, but he didn't really do anything of the sort so far.

I would normally say I look forward to the creator's next work... but Burnyuho already posted a teaser for it appearently?: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34227604
    Ancient Times except Nature. seems to be another Music album mimicing ZUN's games, music and artstyle. I'm not good at translating so I don't know anything else, but hey, it's something I suppose? Kind of weird for them to not post it on Youtube like he did with Uncreatable Idea. but I'm happy nonetheless

Also I was kind of hoping to learn more about Kazari because I did realize she was a kamaitachi even at the first glance, but I was kind of hoping there would be more to her. Ah well, at least it's funny she and stage 1 boss have some kind of relationship. I hope there will be more things like that with future game/album stories. Like stage 2 boss was a victim of stage 3 boss, which in return works for stage 4 boss and so fourth. It helps imo. Like in UC's case, the story is solid, but after reading the translation, Ai kind of came out of nowhere and the only relation to the plot she had was the she was mastermind's creation.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:20:37 pm by Popcioslav »
    No.

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
    Theme based on ModernDark64 design by BlocWeb
    Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.