Author Topic: 東方夢旧市 ~ Glory of Deep Skies. [v.0.01c update]  (Read 13059 times)

kirbio

• Leader of Team αlternative Σnding
  • Or is it...?

-- The sky of Gensokyo has begun to act strange recently.
Green Flashes in the Morning and Evening, Sun Halo and Rainbows at
Daytime and Aurora Borealis at Night.

Not only that, but it seems like Gensokyo has been overflowing with
a lot of magical power, as if it has been boosted by something.

--In these dark hours, many monsters and youkai awaken.
With this new magic barrier in effect, Gensokyo is in complete danger;
the enhanced magic power has turned the land of fantasy into
a designated battleground.

"This will be a long, chaotic night."--

Greetings everyone,
I'm Kirbio from Τeam αlternative Σnding.
We are pleased to finally announce our first large-scale derivative work of Touhou Project!

Touhou Project "Omega #1"
 「東方夢旧市 (Touhou Mukyuushi) ~ Glory of Deep Skies.」

This is a new Touhou fangame made in Touhou Danmakufu ph3, with completely original cast.

You can get the trial version here.
Download Link: Bulletforge
Mirror: MEGA

You can watch the trailer here.

And here's some screenshots.

There is much more to this game than you could possibly imagine just from the content of the demo, but please feel free to conjure some theories for yourself.

As usual, the protagonists are Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame. Whatever could be in store for these two ladies this time?

The stages are a little bit longer and harder than most others, but there are fewer stages in this game.
Don't be afraid to try everything!

Until next time, we wish you good luck!
Stay tuned for more updates.

[Staff]
Kirbio - Game Director, Scenario Writer, Character Designer, Main Programmer
Tokiko Tatsunagi - Music Composer, Scenario co-Writer
Gizmo the Dragon - Music Composer, Difficulty Balance, Character Sprites
Aka Kyuketsuki - Music Composer, Danmaku Programmer
Mana Kazami - Music Composer, Video Footage
Lunarethic - Character Artist, Danmaku Programmer
Spectral Nexus - Music Composer
Talosmistake - System Programmer
SKN - Beta Tester
K. Sine - Beta Tester
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:43:13 PM by kirbio »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: 東方夢旧市 ~ Glory of Deep Skies.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
Looking forwards to the complete version!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
Very exciting.  Another big team!  Looking forward to what this will become.
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »
It's really neat to see things that went unreleased back then make a return! Never did I think I would get to actually fight
Spoiler:
Itsuhime

The game's nice overall, but the balance between the three element choices is sketchy. Wood doesn't seem particularly useful for anything and Water's duration seems way longer than it deserves to be, especially considering it doesn't reset to zero if you do get hit.
Also, you might want to try and figure out a better way to convey the stage 2 boss' gimmick; I bombed the first wave away since I thought the bullets would kill me, and I don't think I'm the only one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:57:26 AM by Badz »

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 04:22:37 AM »
First, well done on the demo release! It's a very impressive effort and I can't wait to see what you have in store for the full game.
Some of the graphical effects are simply astounding.
That said, there are certain aspects of the game which seriously bugged me throughout my playthrough.

First, while I'm super glad that someone decided to use some CD tracks as stage themes, it unfortunately seriously drags out the stages far too long.
Frankly, you could cut both of the stages in half and it'd still be enough stage. After all, there's supposed to be the first two stages in the game...

It's not just the stages that feel dragged out either; the bosses have a few too many patterns for their respective stages. I'm quite impressed by some of the patterns you put forth, but after a while it can feel like a bit of a drag.
I understand it's painful to cut patterns, but you could also just put them as, say, Overdrive spell challenges.
Unless the game's not 6 stages, the amount of time it took to finish just the first two stages is about the same as 3 stages would take in a normal game.

Apart from that, there's a few cheapshotting issues like nonspells starting too quickly not allowing for PoCing, and a few instances of questionable balancing for Lunatic, (and also the title music not looping properly).
That said, the elemental burst system is interesting and can be fairly easily tweaked for balance.

(oh right yeah I thought those purple squares were bullets too so I bombed and missed the "gimmick explanation")
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
Actually stage 1 and 2 being longer makes sense seeing as this will be a 3 Stage game according to devs, but with branching paths at the end - still reminds me of White Names Spoiled Past, despite what people are saying.

I'm not sure if I like the game yet, which is weird since the overall quality is pretty high - ido/Kaisendo level high, but at the same time there are things that kind of turn me off the game for now.
For starters, I think stage 1 boss even without Hikariko's existance would still be pretty bland - which is weird thing to say about magicians. I know that Stage 1 in 3 stage game equals stage 4, but that doesn't mean they need to use patterns ready for a stage 4 boss. As much as I like stage 2, I really don't look forward to replaying stage 1 just to see all the bosses.

I do like the idea of having midboss characters for each stage, all of them either based of a joke OC from the past script or not - including portraits this time! That's one thing this game already is miles ahead over WNSP, the artstyle is actually good and not too repetitive.

I'm also not too keen on the mechanic? And yeah, balancing also seems to be a big issue, I just don't feel like an Oofo/Ten Drops' mechanic would work on a 3 stage game. I feel like without someone else's videos I won't know how to get most of the game's resources.

I'm also a bit iffy on the OST. I do like stage 2 theme and their variations (despite the Sengo meme), especially on parts where you fight Aiguillion - her instruments are so good, I love it! However, I really don't feel anything on the rest of the soundtrack. Judging from some of the music room comments ((I don't know if it's supposed to be a joke or not)) seems like Toki had to compose a song around the title, instead of the other way around? And it shows. Stage 1 boss theme fits the title, but isn't anything special. The stage arranges are good, but yeah, I'm always more interested in original songs, sorry.

The Shadow Over Gensokyo is an amazing main menu theme though, I will give you guys props for that, but it's true that it doesn't really loop in a right way - there is one pretty glitchy part.

Oh and "Auto bomb" button is kinda' cool? I still suck at deathbombing in modern Touhou games, so this will ensure I will at least 1cc the game to see and review everything.
These are just my first impREEEEEEEEEEEEEEssions.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:14:00 AM by Popcioslav »
No.

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Ah, if it's just a 3 stage game then the pacing is fine to an extent. It does still feel like a lot of the stages don't have enough variation to justify their length, though.

I've also encountered quite a few clipping issues - for whatever reasons, some of the bullets (the mentos-like medium circle bullets in particular) have hitboxes that are larger than their official counterparts, which seriously throws off dodging.
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Ah, if it's just a 3 stage game then the pacing is fine to an extent. It does still feel like a lot of the stages don't have enough variation to justify their length, though.

I've also encountered quite a few clipping issues - for whatever reasons, some of the bullets (the mentos-like medium circle bullets in particular) have hitboxes that are larger than their official counterparts, which seriously throws off dodging.

Huh, that's interesting. Personally I felt the stages (and the second boss) had way too much variation. There were so many complex patterns happening on screen at once with so little repetition I had a hard time ever telling what was going on. The stage 1 boss was the only one who felt cohesive and I didn't find her boring at all.

The stages don't seem all that long to me though.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

kirbio

• Or is it...?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »
Hello and thank you for all feedback so far!
We've released 1.00b patch, which can be downloaded from the same Bulletforge link above. (Mirror comes later)
Here is the changelog of the problem fixed in this patch
Music:
- Title theme loop points fixed.

Players:
- Reimu A unfocused damage has been nerfed. Her focused damage and hitbox have been buffed.
- Reimu B unfocused orb travel speed and damage have been buffed. Her focused damage has been buffed.
- Reimu can't shoot when bombing anymore (bomb damage buffed to compensate).
- Reimu's deathbomb glitch has been fixed.

Elemental Burst:
- Water Burst nerfs: getting hit doesn't give PiV, duration decreased to 10s, gauge now resets to half of the remaining time.
- Fire Burst buffs: Now has 5 familiars and deals more damage.
- Wood Burst buffs: Now grazing during the burst gives some PiV.

Danmaku:
- Stage 1's Death Fairy's safespot has been fixed
- Aimi's last spell now has some laser delay before the branches spawn.
- Aiguillon's boss fight now starts with a text warning for poison.
- Poison cubes now render behind bullets.
Please note that we also take note of other danmaku-related problem so far, but those are taking longer to fix so we'll try our best to include it in the next major update.

A bit of funny tidbits though, during testing process I had snagged multiple random people who was around (in which they also doesn't have much experience in STG or knows about Touhou at all) to test stage 2 boss gimmick and all of them got how it works on the first try. So I thought putting in the "set piece" demonstration wave at the start is enough. Turns out I was wrong and many people panic bomb/burst so we decided that short text explanation may be the best solution.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
Nice, that was a fast update! Fellow devs, take notes!

Also

A bit of funny tidbits though, during testing process I had snagged multiple random people who was around (in which they also doesn't have much experience in STG or knows about Touhou at all) to test stage 2 boss gimmick and all of them got how it works on the first try. So I thought putting in the "set piece" demonstration wave at the start is enough. Turns out I was wrong and many people panic bomb/burst so we decided that short text explanation may be the best solution.

Ikr, the thing is, while I imagine people who are new to Touhou would presumably just go through the poison first, experienced Touhou players believe that EVERYTHING KILLS YOU, so I guess we're just used to this?

Likewise dark bullets in ExOkina's first spell where people made PSAs just telling people that it's a background only thing.
No.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
Just played through the demo and it's pretty solid. I feel like the stage themes are too short for those stages since they loop multiple times. But i'm the type of person that loves when the stage theme matches the action on screen so that's most likely where most of my annoyance with this comes from. Also the similarities between the stage 2 boss theme and Sengo's theme are too big for it to be just a meme in my opinion. But if it's for some story reasons that we/i don't know about then i'm fine with that.

Gameplay is good. The stages were interesting enough to not get bored and bosses had nice patterns. The difficulty also seemed just like you guys planned it since it was a little harder for me than a standard Touhou game. I wasn't using that C gimmick tho since i don't like making the game easier (i'm already in pain when i have to bomb in any Touhou game).

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:54:27 AM »
Are the stage 2 bosses' names a reference to this?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 03:17:46 AM »
Are the stage 2 bosses' names a reference to this?

Theone is probably based on .

Aiguillon is a mess. Apparently she's named after
Spoiler:
UC Aiguillon as well as various Deletors, guessing from the use of obselete kana
What in the world is that surname...? It's probably...
Spoiler:

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
Also the similarities between the stage 2 boss theme and Sengo's theme are too big for it to be just a meme in my opinion. But if it's for some story reasons that we/i don't know about then i'm fine with that.
Nope!
The meme is that the composer behind the theme, had NO IDEA it was Sengo's theme, they probably forgot about that one while composing it or they think still it's different enough structure wise. When the demo was released Mino streamed the game and well see for yourself (a bit later he just plays both songs at the same time and composer is like - wtf?).

Lesson from this is, don't compare two composer's work to each. It really could've just been coincedence or they thought they were creating magnus opus, but had an already existing song in mind without knowing it. Heck, even Sengo's song was originally considered "exactly like" Azuma Himefuji's song. When Azuma Himefuji's song was released it was considered to be just Magus Night. We've come a long way haven't we?

Theone is probably based on .
I can get behind her being based of Lewis Theobald, but your link takes me to... Huh?!... really? She's supposed to be based of Lovecraft? That's another one I can't really get behind, unless the author says so. It's not that I don't think he can be touhoufied, it's just that... I didn't feel that's how Lovecraft would act or look like when placed in setting of Gensokyo. I know she's considered to have one of the better designs in the demo, but if she's really supposed to based of Howard I'm gonna' eat my shoes
No.

kirbio

• Or is it...?
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
I can get behind her being based of Lewis Theobald, but your link takes me to... Huh?!... really? She's supposed to be based of Lovecraft? That's another one I can't really get behind, unless the author says so. It's not that I don't think he can be touhoufied, it's just that... I didn't feel that's how Lovecraft would act or look like when placed in setting of Gensokyo. I know she's considered to have one of the better designs in the demo, but if she's really supposed to based of Howard I'm gonna' eat my shoes
Hate to break this to you but this is, indeed the name's origin. "Lewis Theobald, Jr" is one of Lovecraft's pen name.
Without getting into spoilery territory, let just say that Theone's character is not the author himself, though she's (unknowingly) very distant (read: not direct) relative of his.
If you traced both her and Lovecraft's bloodline back Innsmouth style it will meet up somewhere (but very far back).

Theone is just your average teenager this day, maybe a tad bit older. But you'd know that for each Generations, people's view changed.
What Lovecraft was is not necessary reflecting what she is right now, especially when they don't even know one another in person.

I'd like to give you more detail, but it's either not relevant to the game or getting into spoiler territory.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »
Darn, recalled one their names wrong. :blush: That confirms that the names aren't based on some C++ library.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
Darn, recalled one their names wrong. :blush: That confirms that the names aren't based on some C++ library.

No offense, kozet, but you severely overestimate the number of people in the Danmakufu community who follow your pet projects.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
Hate to break this to you but this is, indeed the name's origin. "Lewis Theobald, Jr" is one of Lovecraft's pen name.
Without getting into spoilery territory, let just say that Theone's character is not the author himself, though she's (unknowingly) very distant (read: not direct) relative of his.
If you traced both her and Lovecraft's bloodline back Innsmouth style it will meet up somewhere (but very far back).

Theone is just your average teenager this day, maybe a tad bit older. But you'd know that for each Generations, people's view changed.
What Lovecraft was is not necessary reflecting what she is right now, especially when they don't even know one another in person.

I'd like to give you more detail, but it's either not relevant to the game or getting into spoiler territory.
Gotcha, sorry for my ignorance, that's one thing I didn't know. I did remember Lovecraft had a lot of pen names, but when I've tried to do research all I've got for name "Lewis Theobald" was some british editor, author and figure in story of Shakespare. Either way, pardon me.

And no need to spoiler anything, I think you've said enough to intrigue me.
No.

kirbio

• Or is it...?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
Hello, everyone.
Version 0.01c has been released!
This patch's highlight includes Marisa player, Spell Practices and Japanese Language option!

You can get the update right from the Bulletforge page,
or using mirror here: Link

Here's the full changelog.
General:
- Spell Practice has been added.
- Tweaked UI to be easier to read.
- Japanese Translation added.

Players:
- Marisa Player has been added.

Elemental Burst:
- Player can no longer release Elemental Burst during "Stage Clear" sequence.

Danmaku:
- Some bullet patterns have been tweaked.

Misc:
- Many bugs have been fixed.

Re: 東方夢旧市 ~ Glory of Deep Skies. [v.0.01c update]
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »
The creators announced on twitter that version 1.00 will be released March 29th!

Hype!!!!! o/

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 03:52:40 AM »
Eeee, this is really awesome!  I just finished the game.  Thoughts bellow!  Spoilers, obv!

Spoiler:

First of all I'm impressed by the danmaku, it was really cool looking and fun to dodge.  My biggest complaint about it was just that some spells were a bit tough to discern what was harmful to what was harmless.  Like some of the laser-lines on 3C, or the red black holes on stage 4 blending with the background portals. 
But despite that I had tons of fun dodging them, kudos for the programmers!

Overall the plot seemed really interesting and I loved the character designs.  I wasn't expecting them to be so cool looking, which is always nice!

When it comes to music, I admit I was a bit disappointed that the stage 3 bosses didn't have individual themes, but I can understand why, composing is hard!  Still, the songs were enjoyable, my favorite being Stage 3's theme.

I'm really happy that you guys launched this, I was looking forward to this and man, it sure was worth the wait!  Kudos for everyone who worked on this game, and I'm super excited for the Extra Stage now! 

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 03:20:01 AM »
Hard to find the time to sit down and play a fangame, but I did and actually managed to clear it  :3

Spoiler:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of making Lovecraftian characters and places for a Touhou story. Kinda an eerie coincidence how close it is to mine. Our final bosses have similar poses too
I love Ayame's spell effect, it's so beautiful ;o;

I really wanna see if the Extra stage will have another Lovecraftian place/character now.