Author Topic: E3 2018 thread of announcements and reactions  (Read 12742 times)

E3 2018 thread of announcements and reactions
« on: June 09, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »
E3 2018 has already started with EA's press conference wrapping up earlier today!  Let's have a thread for news, reactions and discussion.

Here's a handy schedule if you want to watch the various livestreams:

~

EA's big game was Anthem, which got a release date, more gameplay footage, and more details.  I feel more mixed the more I learn about this game.  It's a not-Destiny where you can team up with your buddies to do quests as a 4 man squad but then you return to the city hub and experience the singleplayer story content at your own pace, solo.  This is presumably where Bioware's signature strengths would shine. The entire game can be played singleplayer in fact if you wish, but there's a caveat: because this is a "living game" / theoretically can be played forever, it has character stats and so forth stored on servers and thus cannot be played offline, which is mildly annoying if you wanted to play solo. 

Besides what we saw at the press conference itself, more small details were just published in this Game Informer video: 123 Rapid Fire Questions About Anthem

Anthem has a lot going for it: the exosuits, the blending of fantasy and sci-fi, and the gorgeous looking locations.  But I'm expecting the end product with its heavy multiplayer focus isn't going to be the game for me.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: E3 2018 thread of announcements and reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »
Never put faith in EA.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 03:10:26 AM »
My biggest takeaway from EA is "Madden is finally back on PC", and I can't tell if that's genuine excitement (that IS cool and I want it) or an awfully low bar to start off with.

Already ready to dread the Forza announcements tomorrow because I'm excited and that'll be drowned in a deluge of commentary of "who cares about this racing game crap, this is for dumb idiot morons and I hate when people have fun". But for now I'm hyped for whatever inevitable Porsche they have on stage and hopefully a solid Forza Horizon 4 debut if that's what they go with.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »
Monday morning and S-E's press conference can't come fast enough. Another Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer is a high possibility, and I can just taste a definitive release date coming with it this time.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
And now, EA has raised another zombie in the form of a new F2P mobile PvP RTS - Command & Conquer: Rivals.

I'm really disappointed to see such a great franchise dip to this level. C&C was my gaming childhood. As a plain mobile RTS, it could have potential, but as a new C&C title? Blegh.

Reference: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2018-command-and-conquer-returns-as-free-to-pla/1100-6459491/

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
I haven't been paying too much attention to certain games and publishers and the like recently, so it's tough to say what might go down. Here are a few thoughts though:

Nintendo needs a bit of a boost since their last big title feels like it was Mario Odyssey in October. Kinda hoping for some big announcements. A lot of RPGs have been rumored to be in the works for some time. Pokemon is already destined for a big 2019 release, but there are a bunch of other titles that have been brewing too. SMT5 pls?

Bethesda has been making enough money on ES:O for them to avoid making more Elder Scrolls, so Fallout 76 it is. They really need to soup up their writing department to restore faith in the previously faithful though.

Getting your hopes up for anything related to what Kojima is working on is both the right and the wrong decision.

From may have more details about their new game. The big questions will be whether its like Dark Souls or not and whether it'll have the A team or B team feel to it.

Speaking of From, loose talk has been that Devolver picked up some sort of license/rights thing for Metal Wolf Chaos, the most American game ever.

I wish I had more details/info but I am stuck using my phone and have been away for several days. I'll get home and all of these thoughts will be tossed out the window. :V

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
Speaking of From, loose talk has been that Devolver picked up some sort of license/rights thing for Metal Wolf Chaos, the most American game ever.

You know, if any publisher would, I wouldn't doubt it'd be them. I also don't doubt they will give it the bombastic reveal it deserves if that is the case.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Joseph Kucan must be spinning in his interstellar grave.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
I knew it! I knew I could taste it, I wasn't imagining things. Get in mah belly, January 29, 2019!
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Reddyne

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »
You know, if any publisher would, I wouldn't doubt it'd be them. I also don't doubt they will give it the bombastic reveal it deserves if that is the case.
Lo and behold.
Joseph Kucan must be spinning in his interstellar grave.
EA can get reamed. I haven't enjoyed anything they've touched since the start of Mass Effect/Dead Space.
I knew it! I knew I could taste it, I wasn't imagining things. Get in mah belly, January 29, 2019!
So many people have been away from the series for so long that I'm worried that it won't do well. Games like Kingdom Hearts I/II are what made the PS2 era so fantastic though. Hopefully it does alright and helps reinforce how much quirky titles like this have a place in the world.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »
Tales of Vesparia remaster fuck yeah! l never gotten to play the game due to not having a 360 finally l can slap this game down on my Tales of series game l need to beat l do need to play Xillia 1 and 2 and Beseria also which ehhh l can do it when l get the time to.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:06:25 AM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
Lo and behold.

Hot damn.

Okay, so Forza Horizon 4. I see "Microsoft Studios" and hear an engine and I'm inches from my screen. I see the McLaren Senna and my jaw's dropped, I see the British countryside and I'm actively surprised, I hear a cover of The Who on top of that and see the camera pan out and out and out and out and out and I'm floored to the point of tears. This is amazing.

I see it's a consistent online world, more like an MMO, and... well, that's less my style. But alright. Hopefully it's still playable solo, could be good. Looks amazing!

And then I check the pre-order pages and see Gamestop includes a novelty t-shirt with pre-orders. Well, I hate pre-orders but I love novelty tees! So I look into it.

Oh, no.

That is not a real shirt for a real human person. That is an in-game avatar item. Which means driver customization. Which means Forza Motorsport 7's Driver Gear is back. Which means lots and lots of rare exclusive cosmetics and junk. And which, by all likelihood, means Prize Crates are likely back from FM7. Which means the difficulty unbalancing that came from moving all rewards to lootboxes is probably also back. Which means absolutely everything that utterly murdered the experience of FM7 is probably coming to FH4.

I don't think I've had a hype train derail, crash, and burn so fast for me before.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:48 AM »
RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

Drake

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 03:44:15 AM »
AMSDFGBNDFMSFLFDMKBFDKCCB

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 05:07:37 AM »
RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

MMMMMICHAEL!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
So many people have been away from the series for so long that I'm worried that it won't do well. Games like Kingdom Hearts I/II are what made the PS2 era so fantastic though. Hopefully it does alright and helps reinforce how much quirky titles like this have a place in the world.

The new game has a huge emphasis on newer/CGI titles, it seems, so an influx of new fans is quite likely to compensate.

That said, whoever works on Battletoads, please don't screw it up!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
OOOKAAAAAY
LEEEET'S PAAAARTYYYYYYY

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Fans of Western Touhou fanartists, please pour one out for PastelPuffin, who works at GameStop and already hated E3 hype in general before this year and its Battletoads announcement.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
That said, whoever works on Battletoads, please don't screw it up!
I was not expecting that in the slightest. That Turbo Tunnel animation terrifies me though. ;w;

Good to see Metal Wolf Chaos is a thing, Unravel Two looks adorable, as does Tunic...GUMMI SHIPS ARE BACK IN KH3, OMG...Oh and there was a Cuphead DLC expansion too. Oh, the hype is real~

Waiting the most for Nintendo's Direct though. I heard it was Smash oriented so I may not be as hype? But I hope they at least announce what the next core Pokemon RPG will be. Gen 8? Remakes of the Orre games or Sinnoh? I'm dying to know!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
There was a dev interview about the 2019 Pok? games.  It's a new gen, new continent, not a remake or anything else.

Squeenix up next, they should have a few announcements to make.

Reddyne

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
Waiting the most for Nintendo's Direct though. I heard it was Smash oriented so I may not be as hype? But I hope they at least announce what the next core Pokemon RPG will be. Gen 8? Remakes of the Orre games or Sinnoh? I'm dying to know!
Yeah the Switch needs more love as of late.
There was a dev interview about the 2019 Pok? games.  It's a new gen, new continent, not a remake or anything else.
In regards to this, it even came right from the Pokemon Company prez in an interview with Famitsu. It feels like the Let's Go games are being used as a bit of a test bed for Gen 9 and that's probly a good thing even if the Let's Go games don't blow any minds.
Squornax has said they want to do more Switch stuff so here's hoping for more good news outside of KH3 details and MAYBE some nod to the TWEWY re-release. Like hey I wouldn't mind the Switch turning into a big JRPG machine.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »

Oh, didn't see that. Good to know.

As for Squeenix...It was...Fine? It was hella short, but the games look at least interesting. Octopath Traveler is probably the only one I'm at all invested in though...
Gen 9
Skipped ahead a few years there, Red. :V

Reddyne

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »
Skipped ahead a few years there, Red. :V
Slept through my own typo! Proofreading helps, kids.

A 3 minute trailer for DQXI (there that's the one) is pretty substantial but it's necessary. The series gets little attention in the West despite the love put into the localizations. The lack of attention isn't without reason, but its a series where all the cliches and tropes have been polished to a perfect sheen. Hang onto those DQ dreams, Spare-Kleenex! It's also getting released on the Switch ~*~EVENTUALLY~*~ which will help. Otherwise, no comment? The new titles need a bit more than just basic reveal trailers to tell anyone anything.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »
Babylon's Fall by Platinum Games, shown at Square-Enix's press conference has caught my attention.  However we only have the tiniest bit of CG and some lore scrolling showing us what it's going to be like at this point.  I also wished we could have seen more of Left Alive (the shooter game with mechs set in the Front Mission universe) -- it's supposed to be a 2018 game, and you don't give us more details, Square?

From Microsoft's press conference: I'm super hyped for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by FromSoftware.   Sorry Ghosts of Tsushima, I think I'm making time to play this one first!  Also I had intuition Microsoft would bring back some dormant first party IP this E3, and they did!  Battletoads, baby!

Finally, Doom Eternal brings Hell on Earth and it has me pumped too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:18:34 PM by dosboot »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
Doom Eternal, huh? An interesting choice of name. I wonder if this is a conscious nod or a mere coincidence. The teaser itself is like some sort of an uncanny mix of Doom II city maps and Oblivion. Might be interesting. (insert Daisy's head here)
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 02:28:17 AM »
Resident Evil 2 Remake is locked in!    :toot:   :getdown:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-lEnz5QKuM

Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

Releasing January 25th, 2019!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:16:53 AM by dosboot »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
Doom Eternal, huh? An interesting choice of name. I wonder if this is a conscious nod or a mere coincidence. The teaser itself is like some sort of an uncanny mix of Doom II city maps and Oblivion. Might be interesting. (insert Daisy's head here)

If the next one is called Final Doom or Doom Absolution I'm calling out the marketologist conspiracy to make game naming as confusing as possible.

Also, WTF Devolver, where's my Sam 4 trailer?!

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
Ninty up in less than an hour! My keyboard is ready to be Smashed.

EDIT:

* Daemon X Machina 2019
* Xenoblade Chronicles...DLC? September 2018
* Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee and Pokeball Plus November 16th
* Super Mario Party with MULTI-SWITCH DRIFTING October 5
* Fire Emblem Spring 2019
* Fortnite RIGHT FUCKIN' NOW
* Indy block: Overcooked 2 (August 7), Killer Queen Black (2018), Hollow Knight with all past DLC (Today)
* Octopath Traveler July 13
* A bunch of fast-paced stuff that I wasn't able to keep proper track of but appeared to be mostly expansions and DLCs and sequels for existing games
* SAKURAI-SAMA
* Confirmed for Smash: Mario (w/ Cappy), Samus, Kirby, Bowser, Link (BotW), Donkey Kong, Fox, Falco, Marth, Zelda, Shiek, Villager, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, Sonic, Peach, Pikachu, Ice Climbers!, Inkling, Captain Falcon, ZSS, Wii Fit Trainer, Popkemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard), Ness, Lucas, Ryu, Ganondorf, Ike, Cloud!, SNAKE!, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Roy, Olimar, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Lucina, Robin, Bayonetta, Mr. Game and Watch, Greninja, Doc Mario, Duck Hunt, Rob, Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Corrin, Bowser Jr/Koopalings, Toon Link, Young Link, Dedede, Rosalina, Mii Brawler/Swordfighters/Gunner, Wario, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Shulk, Wolf, Mega Man, Luigi, Yoshi, Daisy!, RIDLEY HOLY SHIT THEY ACTUALLY DID IT
* Smash Ultimate December 7
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:43:23 PM by Suwako Moriya »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
RIDLEY NOT TOO BIG ANYMORE

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »
When Forza Horizon 4 panned the camera out and out and out, tears welled up for me.

When Team Sonic Racing debuted a trailer with Crush 40 and pure racing glee, it got a wonderfully earnest ear-to-ear smile from me.

When Devolver debuted Lootboxcoin, I cackled.

But when Snake showed up in the Smash trailer, I had to cover my mouth because I was loudly reflexively shrieking with joy. Mother of god. Wow.