Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2018: With cheese biscuits AND mashed potatoes!  (Read 16593 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
(this may or may not have been 95% lifted from last year's thread, including this line itself)

FOUR JOB FIESTA TIME

Q: What is this?
A: A month-and-a-half long charity marathon benefiting Child's Play.  Play Final Fantasy V, on whatever platform you want (SNES, PS1, GBA, phone, Steam, emulator) with the jobs given to you by the custom RNG bot and benevolent overlord, Gilgabot!

Q: When does it start?
The fiesta begins on on June  19th or the completion of ~*~the run~*~ (details on the main site)
Registration is LIVE!
It runs through the end of August, so there's plenty of time and no rush (except for #BERSERKERRISK).  You can even register once the fiesta has begun, register for another run after you finish so no worries if you check this topic out later.

Q: What do I need to sign up?
A: A twitter account.  That's it.  You can totally make a throwaway twitter account for this; just make sure you will be able to remember the password.  It's used to tweet at Gilgabot for commands, such as signing up, revealing jobs, and reporting victories.  If you have a private account, you'll need to either unlock it when you send the command tweets or send a message to get added to Gilgabot's friend list (I can give instructions if needed)
Also too you can log-in on the website based on your Twitter account and see all your runs from years gone by!

Q: How does the four job thing work?
A: This depends on the ruleset you choose.  You can also read them all on the website
In Standard, once you get your first crystal and reveal your first job, your entire party will be locked into that job.  As you get the new jobs, you need to have one representative of each available job at all times (excluding when you have insufficient party members to do so, in those cases just make sure everyone has a different job).  You can swap jobs as often as you want within that limitation, and mix and match the abilities you learn freely.  This is what you will sign up for by default.
In Natural Only, each character is locked to Freelancer until you get their respective crystal - at which point the character is locked forever into whatever job you got for that crystal.  No mixing and matching jobs.  This is the tougher one by a significant margin! 
Upgrade is sort of a mix between the two modes.  Your entire party will start out all the same job just as a standard run.  However, once the next set of jobs is available you can choose when to ~upgrade~ your full team to your next assigned job. You can keep using any skills you learned previously and equip them on your new jobs, so have fun grinding  and hope Gilgabot has mercy on you for your endgame job  :V
Fifth Job will overwrite your prior Earth Crystal roll with a new job (following whatever run type you are on) when Krile joins your team.  You can't use any skills from your prior final roll, so a sort of do-over but only for the 4th job.

Q: Which run choice do I pick?
A: There's several sets of runs that affect what classes you can obtain:
Regular is the original mode, you will receive one random Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth job at each crystal.  This is what I'd recommend for a first timer.
Random will open up additional jobs for each crystal - any job that you haven't obtained yet that is also up for grabs.  For instance, the Water crystal may also unlock a new Wind job instead, and the Earth could hand you any job in the game.  You're more likely to receive jobs from the first crystals as a result, and less likely to see an Earth crystal job.
Chaos Mode is similar to Random, except that any job is up for grabs for each crystal.  This means you have a pretty decent chance of not getting a job from the Wind crystal and needing to No Job Siesta a bit longer.  This mode also enables the possibility of rolling the same job for multiple crystals!
Popular Mode is similar to Chaos Mode, but it's weighted towards jobs that were voted for on Twitter last year which is skewed towards mages IIRC.  Chaos mode for people who are afraid of getting 3 Geomancers and a Dragoon, basically.
Pure Chaos Mode is if you want Chaos but don't want dupes.  As a bonus Mime and Freelancer are also up for grabs!
Team 750 and Team No 750 is a modifier that divides the classes in half in the general theme of Magic vs Physical (or close enough to allow an even divide) named after the cost of an elemental rod, as using/breaking one in battle to cast a powerful spell is a common tactic for mages.  The breakdowns are:
  • Team 750:  Wind - White Mage/Black Mage/Blue Mage       Water - Time Mage/Summoner/Red Mage     Fire -  Geomancer/Bard    Earth -  Chemist/Dancer
  • Team No 750: Wind - Thief/Monk/Knight     Water - Mystic Knight/Berserker     Fire - Ninja/Beastmaster/Ranger     Earth - Dragoon/Samurai
Classic will assign you one of the six original FF1 classes at each job, and can assign you multiples of the same job.  This is automatically under Natural Only rules, as above.  Could be potentially hellish (four white mages is a legit risk)
Forbidden: Players wil????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
......yeah we have no idea what signing up for a Forbidden run will do yet. 

Q: Berserker Risk?
A: Based on the amount of donations received before preregistration ends vs the number of players who signed up for this, those players will be guaranteed to receive at least one Berserker and maybe more depending on job mode!  You can only sign up for Berserker Risk before the Fiesta begins so choose wisely.  They're quite a challenging class to work with due to really being entirely out of your control, but that doesn't mean they're bad.  Just brace yourself!

To clarify, adding #BERSERKKERRISK to a Regular run will lock you into getting a 'zerker for your Water crystal job and that's it (they will always hit the bare minimum of donations)  Adding it to a Random run opens up the possibility of your Fire and/or Earth crystal jobs getting overridden by THE RISK.  And Chaos Mode?  Hope you're ready for the chance of FOUR BERSERKERS  :o 
In my opinion/experience, having just one isn't much of a liability outside of a few battles and for some teams it'd be a great source of damage throughout the game - let me tell you about the year I had Team Tickle Kitten Berserker Babysitters Club.  If you really want a risk, make sure to sign up for Chaos or Random!

Q: I don't know Final Fantasy V that well...
A: What a great time to come play the best one!  Our buddy Garlyle is some sort of FF5 Wizard and wrote a handbook (it's written using SNES terms, but a number of us in here can translate so don't be hesitate to ask for clarification!) specifically oriented towards the FJF that covers more or less everything you'd ever want to know to make the most of the game's mechanics, the classes you've drawn, to help you figure out boss strategies, etc.  Also, MotK has several veterans of this challenge, and we'll always be available to offer a helping hand if you stumble or just run face first into a brick wall.
And yes, this is totally a great excuse to play FFV for the first time!

FOR NEW PLAYERS: I recommend doing a Normal run for your first playthrough.  Even the "worst" combo you can get still has some tricks up your sleeve.

Q: Is there any way I can watch someone miss on Byblos 6 times in a row and laugh at her misfortune?
A: A few of us will be streaming our runs!  Come check us out, subscribe to keep on top of stream times and post if you got a link I missed!

Garlyle
triangles
Arashi (maybe??)

triangles

LOOK AT THAT ME POSTING IN THIS FORUM AGAIN

Signed up for a regular ol' Chaos run again this year.  After last year with Ninja Mom and the Zerker Kids, I want a chance at the other 50% of the classes up for grabs I've yet to use  :V

ALSO ALSO what do we all think ~forbidden mode~ is?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
This year it's magic time with a Rando 750 squad. There's still a 10% chance to wind up with a dancer somewhere in there! Also get your donations in kids ffs.

Signed up for a regular ol' Chaos run again this year.  After last year with Ninja Mom and the Zerker Kids, I want a chance at the other 50% of the classes up for grabs I've yet to use  :V
Ya fren variety is the spice of life.

ALSO ALSO what do we all think ~forbidden mode~ is?
Roll for classes that you can't use...? Roll for a randomly assigned run type?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Going regular ol' chaos to start.

My best guess for Forbidden is "Chaos, but you can't get the jobs from The Run", I dunno

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
My guess is Forbidden will be inverse Popular (heavily weighted against the Twitter poll votes).
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

triangles

After sitting on it for a bit it made me think of the rules from FFTA

RECOMMENDED: Summon
FORBIDDEN: Spears

So I wonder if it's some sort of scout's honor mode banning an aspect of your assigned jobs. 

triangles

AND WE'RE OFF

TIME FOR SOME HIPPIE SHIT SOZ RUGWIZARD

theshirn

Got up to Water on a Chaos run.

Wind was Ninja, Water is Chemist.

I see I'm getting the easy mode run this year :V

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

triangles

Grats on your triple crown

Reddyne

Blue mage out of the gate which means I've already won but I started Team 750-330 so I could get classes I didn't have before. It's a blessing and a curse all at once. Also when you've had BESTmaster so many times, you do get a bit weary of having classes that involve a lot of homework. Oh well. Nothing wrong with a strong utility guy. I reserve the right to peek ahead and reroll my other classes if I've gotten them all before, though.
AND WE'RE OFF

TIME FOR SOME HIPPIE SHIT SOZ RUGWIZARD
Just what kind of stuff is the geomancer capable of, anyway? Can it swing 2k-4k damage on an entire enemy party with some degree of regularity? Or does it do 500 damage to one section of NED one turn and then poison your part on the next? I do not have any frame of reference here outside of geomancer being derided. Probably deservedly so considering how much I've used it in the several times I've played through the game. When all else fails, at least it's a back row item bot?

EDIT: A quick bit of homework found a handful of things that amounted to a whole lot of whatever. Their damage is modified by their magic score which is alright, but that can be improved. Damage can be further boosted by equipment that boosts damage for particular elements. The chance of doing one type of move over another varies a whole lot depending on where you are. There are bunch of nuances around some of the bells like the rune, diamond, and gaia bells. The level of the geomancer affects the ability used much like the ranger's !Animals skill. The skills used have a bunch of different effects, but they can be heavily situational. This includes some stuff that might work like... maybe Whirlpool on Gilgam3sh and some other things? Still, this all adds up to a class that can help plow through mob fights in a dungeon with some questionable RNG but won't help surmount big obstacles outside of some spare damage and occasional status effects. 
Got up to Water on a Chaos run.

Wind was Ninja, Water is Chemist.

I see I'm getting the easy mode run this year :V
It only gets better from here on in.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:45:35 PM by Reddyne »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
I wanted to try a Chaos Run, but Forbidden decided to take it instead.

I got Thief for Wind and Red Mage for Water.

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ

And thus it is decided...

theshirn

welp, landed Berzerker and Dragoon for my last two, boring but mostly functional

can still triple crown because Chemist Is Busted, but Omega will be finicky

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ

Funniest theory that spawned in the Discord from this: I actually did not get a Riskzerker but rolled one naturally  :getdown:

Reddyne

Naming Bartz Snacks was the right decision. Lenna asks if snacks are coming along to the wind shrine, she calls out for snacks in the middle of the night in Tycoon castle, and the siren in the ship graveyard beckons for snacks to come to her.

Rolled summoner for my fire job. I already had the game set between a blue and time mage, but I've never had a straightforward mage class, nor have I ever really had any class that does AoE damage. The only reason I was dismayed by both blue mage and time mage was because I had done some stomping with them already.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
I got Samurai for my Fire Job, so I am guessing there's a little bit of Chaos in there.

triangles

Who has two thumbs and waltzed into the library with a full party at level 15?
This gal!

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
Who has two thumbs and waltzed into the library with a full party at level 15?
This gal!
Oof. Forgetting that is one of the worst things ever.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
I forgot that one as well, but I was level 16. :V

I got Gladiator as my Earth Job, but I won't even get to use it, since I'll have to change when I get Krile.

Reddyne

Okay I wanted to have some mages kick some tail this year but having a blue mage and summoner wombo combo is just silly. It's not a high synergy thing by any means but having this much utility and damage together has helped make everything past Walse a breeze. Going into the Sandworm fight soon with Aqua Rake, Shiva, and breakable rods. Oh and time mage plus healstick just in case I get too lazy.

Maybe next year I'll do something as crazy and occasionally rough as my first year doing things.

EDIT: Yeah, I got white mage for my last class. Blue mage, time mage, summoner, and white mage. Yup.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:56:33 AM by Reddyne »

triangles

Geomancer / Blue / Blue / Chemist

Well that's sure something

Reddyne

The true boss of a team made up exclusively of magic users is the menu.
Geomancer / Blue / Blue / Chemist

Well that's sure something
Oh look your avatar is spot on all over again.

Right now I'm at Blue/Berserker/Geomancer. Been busy this last week so haven't gotten the final crystal yet.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
I got Samurai/Dragoon/Mystic Knight/Berserker

But like. At least I don't start using Berserker until after the fourth crystal?

theshirn

I got Samurai/Dragoon/Mystic Knight/Berserker

But like. At least I don't start using Berserker until after the fourth crystal?
I mean, really you don't even start using it then, since Galuf leaves for a bit :V

Reddyne

Death Claw worked on Dragon Pod and that fight lasted all of 1 turn.

Death Claw did NOT work on Boatgamesh. Dark Spark and Level 5 Death sure did, though.

Oh Blue Mage u so silly.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
At the end, I got Thief / Red / Samurai / Gladiator.

And I just lost Red to the Void, so no Rod anymore. Gonna have to be creative for Shinryu.  :V

Reddyne

Required annual posting!

Team magickery is smoothly progressing and has been a fun combo. The team is real well balanced magic-wise, making things simple but fun even when it's a bit menu heavy. This feels like it's going a bit fast but between summons and magic spells I think I'll go through all the major dungeons in world 3.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Pure Chaos this year has given me Bard, Berserker, Monk, and Freelancer. Commence three angry punchmen and their one sane Bard friend.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
I ended up rushing Shinryu by teaching Finisher to everybody and just counting on luck...

Exdeath actually posed much more of a threat because I couldn't rush him and had to spam Elixirs, but at least it worked.