Author Topic: /! 02-07-2018 Important notice: Danmakufu wiki is restored  (Read 8114 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
/! 02-07-2018 Important notice: Danmakufu wiki is restored
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »
Pretty sure many people ran into this error at dmf.shrinemaiden.org

Danmakufu Wiki seems still inaccessible. I had contacted TSO, our admin and had replied to look into it. Unfortunetely, I haven't heard any news until now. I will try to do my best to get things fixed. In the mean while, Sparen has previously linked alternative information source in the Q&A:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/9951/pre/th_dnh_help_v3.html (official Japanese docs)
https://web.archive.org/web/20170621193842/http://dmf.shrinemaiden.org:80/wiki/Functions_(ph3)
https://sparen.github.io/ph3tutorials/docs.html (work in progress; incomplete)

Once the wiki is solved, I am considering on migrating all the information to the generic Touhou Wiki as a back up.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

--Helepolis
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:07:41 PM by Helepolis »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
List of errors in the Danmakufu Wiki (current) - to be fixed when the wiki returns

- ObjShader_SetFloatArray: third parameter is of type real array ('real []'), not simply 'real'

- ObjFile_Create is missing its parameters in the English Docs

- Text File Object documentation has no description *at all* in the English docs

- Large parts of the Binary File Object documentation are missing in the English docs

- ObjLaser_SetItemDistance not present at all

- Missing index() Apparently the function doesn't exist in Danmakufu even though it's in the docs

Notes to self:
* DNH Wiki tends to miss details from the Japanese docs. Review entire Japanese documentation to ensure that English docs are accurate at least on own site.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:30:25 PM by Sparen »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
I'd like to announce that my backup project has concluded.

The entirety of the Danmakufu ph3 function reference can be found at https://sparen.github.io/ph3tutorials/docs.html

Please let me know if there are any errors. - The English Wiki had a number of issues, and some of the official documentation was also a little inconsistent with return values, so not everything may be exact.

Thank you for your patience (and I can't believe this project finished before the wiki came back up)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Wow has it really been more than a month since the Wiki went down?

Anyways, my copy of the function reference has been upgraded with two new features:

First, the main landing page for the documentation is now a Function List. This mirrors the Danmakufu Wiki's Function List and allows for immediately searching for a function rather than having to dredge through the sidebar to find the category page first.

Secondly, there is now a feature to copy a function's name to the clipboard. I tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox - it probably doesn't work on IE. Right now it copies without parameters, but if the Danmakufu Community wants it to include all the parameters, I will add that feature as well (though if you are using the Sublime or Atom syntax highlighters, the parameters should probably be provided by default).

As usual, if there are any issues, comments, or concerns, please let me know via PM.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Sadly nobody from the mod team except TSO can resolve this issue.

I am quite worried about losing the data on the wiki.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Sadly nobody from the mod team except TSO can resolve this issue.

I am quite worried about losing the data on the wiki.

I have a feeling it will not be resolved anytime soon, but thankfully we have the wayback machine/web archive if we need to recover data (translated docs, tutorials, etc).

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
An archive of the wiki is intact in the wayback machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170621193842/http://dmf.shrinemaiden.org:80/wiki/Functions_(ph3)

This link was already mentioned in the opening post. Believe me, people are actually relying on this.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
Any news from TSO? Has the wiki been abandoned?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
None and no.

The wiki seems to be available again now.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
The wiki seems to be available again now.

Cool. It only took two months.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: /! 02-07-2018 Important notice: Danmakufu wiki is restored
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I will be creating a back up of the wiki pages.

Edit:
Any helping hands to migrate/duplicate the data from dmf wiki to en.touhou.wiki is welcome. Lets first handle ph3 pages before considering 0.12m.

I already made the functions page and modified the links so each page will become a child page of Touhou_Danmakufu -> Ph3. This way everything is nicely categorized. Something we didn't proper do on our own wiki.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:18:00 PM by Helepolis »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I will be creating a back up of the wiki pages.

Edit:
Any helping hands to migrate/duplicate the data from dmf wiki to en.touhou.wiki is welcome. Lets first handle ph3 pages before considering 0.12m.

I already made the functions page and modified the links so each page will become a child page of Touhou_Danmakufu -> Ph3. This way everything is nicely categorized. Something we didn't proper do on our own wiki.

As a general reminder, the errors/issues I listed at https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,21469.msg1403223.html#msg1403223 may still be relevant and should be taken into consideration when migrating the data.

Also, @Helepolis: Can we consider this an *abandonment* of the Danmakufu Wiki, or should be consider it a *backup* of the Danmakufu Wiki. IE, if the pages on the Touhou Wiki are edited in the future, will those edits need to be propagated to the DNH Wiki, and vice versa.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »
@ The general reminder, we should definitely edit those in.

About the "abandonment": Maintaining two wikis is near impossible and in my opinion not desirable. Considering the situation and recent events, I am personally leaning towards primarily en.touhou.wiki and no longer updating our own wiki.

Tough call but I would say full migration, but I wish to know how the rest feels about this before making any final calls.

In the mean while I will try to reach out to TSO to ask a few things.

Drake

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 01:41:33 AM »
Just to throw the idea out there, there's also the possibility of maintaining a documentation/wiki site using Jekyll (a static site generator), hosting the site on Github Pages, and have most editors write stuff in Markdown. This loses out on some dynamic power of wiki software like searching, but much of the time it isn't really necessary, and there are several benefits to using Jekyll in terms of structure, styling, and templating. Additionally it is by nature open-source, and being hosted on Github makes it decently reliable along with being able to leverage some of Github's features.

This option would obviously require a lot more investment to start up. I'm also hesitant on how the organization of admin/editors would go, as there isn't really a way to fence off only a portion of the codebase. The likely case would end up being that a group of people would be made collaborators ("admins") and public editing of the wiki would have to be done through pull requests -- this would also increase the barrier to entry to edit. Maybe something else could be set up to bridge the gap, dunno. The age groups brought in by DNH here are largely like high school and college-level and not too familiar with any of this stuff, and so wouldn't necessarily find editing easy to deal with. On the other hand, you could also just make tons of people collaborators and risk explosions. Leveraging Github issues for minor edits is also a possible option.

One example of this being used for this purpose is the Scala documentation, which should pretty much speak for itself. Their contribute page outlines some things that you might have to expect using this method.

Just for consideration. This feels like a risky but maybe profitable option.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 03:03:13 AM »
Just to throw the idea out there, there's also the possibility of maintaining a documentation/wiki site using Jekyll (a static site generator), hosting the site on Github Pages, and have most editors write stuff in Markdown. This loses out on some dynamic power of wiki software like searching, but much of the time it isn't really necessary, and there are several benefits to using Jekyll in terms of structure, styling, and templating. Additionally it is by nature open-source, and being hosted on Github makes it decently reliable along with being able to leverage some of Github's features.

This option would obviously require a lot more investment to start up. I'm also hesitant on how the organization of admin/editors would go, as there isn't really a way to fence off only a portion of the codebase. The likely case would end up being that a group of people would be made collaborators ("admins") and public editing of the wiki would have to be done through pull requests -- this would also increase the barrier to entry to edit. Maybe something else could be set up to bridge the gap, dunno. The age groups brought in by DNH here are largely like high school and college-level and not too familiar with any of this stuff, and so wouldn't necessarily find editing easy to deal with. On the other hand, you could also just make tons of people collaborators and risk explosions. Leveraging Github issues for minor edits is also a possible option.

From my experience as a mod of LOCAA and my years working with the Danmakufu Community, git is a very, very high bar to entry. If potential editors need an account, or if they need to touch the command line or have to deal with fetch/rebase jargon at all, only those with prior experience with version control are going to participate.

Pull Requests function the same - they are very large barriers to entry and although it can be argued that only those that can handle more 'technical' tasks would be editing the Wiki to begin with, most scripters would not bother.

A few years back I did an experiment to try and get scripters to host their small code snippets and libraries on GitHub so that they could be found when needed. It was a complete failure back then, and I honestly do not think that the average Danmakufu scripter will be willing to use git even today. The only Danmakufu devs that I *know* use git as their primary means of intra-team communication and version control are... well, there aren't any that I know of besides perhaps myself and Uruwi/Fluffy8x/Kozet. (EUB uses DropBox as primary, I think).

tl;dr the startup and maintenance cost for your proposal may not be worth it. But then again, it's not like ph3 is being updated, so there isn't much 'new' content to require high maintenance.

Drake

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 04:04:39 AM »
I agree. I think what's important here is to consider who exactly is going to want to be editing such a wiki anyways. The vast majority are not editors, they're the people that just go to the site to look stuff up; this is exactly why the Github suggestion you had made didn't work, the new technology interfered with their original goal. With that in mind, I don't think it's all that necessary to cater editing to that userbase if their contributions would be minimal anyways. On top of that, like you say, there isn't really much new to be posted right now. The main contributions that would be made going forward might be stuff like tutorials, and they don't even necessarily have to be put onto the website by the author themselves as long as somebody is willing to adapt it.

Again, only a semi-serious suggestion. I don't mind whatever ends up being done.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
I think Drake's suggestion is a good idea. I'd even be willing to help out if needed. I have a semi-working knowledge of github and git.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
Version controlling through git commands is a special thing. Forget pulling, pushing, committing and rebasing. Merge conflicts can occur and if the person doesn't know what he/she is doing, this could get ugly.

Either way, we can give it a go as an experiment.

I've thought about the en.touhouwiki. Regardless of the github experiment, I will be slowly merging data to that wiki. Just to be sure.