Author Topic: [VLP] Tenshi's Steam 2nd Debut - Let's Play Disappearing of Gensokyo [Blind]  (Read 10825 times)

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
It's been a while since I did this.

Welcome to my Let's Play of  永遠消失的幻想鄉 ~ The Disappearing of Gensokyo. It's a Chinese 3D ARPG made by MyACG Studio and was released on Steam on 11 January 2018. This game holds the distinction of being the first Touhou fangames ever to be released on Steam. Translated to english no less.

Join Tenshi and her unlikely bands  of companion as she's forced to investigate this incident featuring the appearance of clones of other characters. Hmm... The basis of the plot does feel like Touhou 15.5 Antimony of Common Flowers. Only in Action game format. Probably that's why this game is released close to Touhou 15.5.

For this LP. I'm going for Video format instead of my usual Screenshot format, with a twist. First, I'm playing this game blind. Which mean the first time I hit the record button is the first time I open the game (Well, technically second since first I'm fiddling with the setting and recording software). Second, Since I'm cripplingly shy (and sucks at streaming as well), I decided to go experimental and use Youtube Subtitle to place my commentary.

If you wanna buy the game and support the developer. You can purchase it here

Video List

Beginning Arc
- Part 1 - An Unlikely Hero and Her Sidekick
- Part 2 - 1 + 1 = 9
- Part 3 - Saving the World by Picking up Trash
- Part 4 - VS Suika

Human Village Arc
- Part 5 - Penguins. On. Desert.
- Part 6 - The Rise of the Klan
- Part 7 - Festival of Perverts
- Part 8 - VS Kokoro Hatano

SDM Arc
- Part 9 - Awooo
- Part 10 - Hunt Down The Margatroid
- Part 11 - SDM Battle Royale
- Part 12 - VS Remilia

Lunar Arc
- Part 13 - Hail to the Moon, Baby!
- Part 14 - Lunar Surface
- Part 15 - Lunar Boundary
- Part 16 - Pure Battle - Vs Junko

The Conclusion
- Part 17 - The Disappearing of Gensokyo
- Part 18 - White Route
- Part 19 - Black Route

Bonus Video:
- How to Beat Yorihime
- Kogasa's Showcase
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:35:02 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

The Steam Store page gave us the description on how to use each character in the screenshot. I'll be showing for the characters I got so far.

Part 1 - An Unlikely Hero and Her Sidekick
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:21:12 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
I like this game a lot and will be watching. The plot reminds me more of Tenjou no Tempest than any official game. Both can be summarized by "there's an incident and out of all the unlikely people, Tenshi tries to solve it"

(Link to the 1st video sends us to around the 10 minute mark upon click. Intended?)

Your Everyday NEET

Oh yeah, I read your review for this game. I'll be honored if you watch my LP. I know that game. Tenjou no Tempest. It's a good beat em up. Too bad it's only Japanese.

What? Ah, crap! You're right. Maybe it's because I'm in the middle on watching it. I fixed the link so that it starts at the beginning.

Your Everyday NEET

New Character Obtained:

Part 2 - 1 + 1 = 9

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:36:48 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

New character obtained:

Part 3 - Saving the World by Picking up Trash

Don't question it.

Your Everyday NEET

Your Everyday NEET

New character obtained:

Part 5 - Penguins. On. Desert.

Oh dear... it's Yandere Alice.

Your Everyday NEET

Part 6 - The Rise of the Klan

Is that...? Really game?!

The last Scroll Piece:

Your Everyday NEET

Maybe I shouldn't have put out 2 updates in a single day. It burned me out.

New Character obtained:

Part 7 - Festival of Perverts

Okuu... you're too pure to be in this game.

The last Scroll Piece:
In the last wave of the survival section, there's a lone FFF member in the south west corner. Defeat him to get the last piece. You only get 3 seconds to do so.

Your Everyday NEET

I had fun editing this part and letting out my salt.

Part 8 - VS Kokoro Hatano

There's a reason why Kokoro's Last Word are prominently displayed on the PV.

Your Everyday NEET

Oh yeah, this game has 15% discount this week. And half of the DLC are discounted as well. It's just so happen that Kogasa's and Byakuren's DLC are discounted. Kogasa is so OP she breaks the game in half and Byakuren has the best fighting style. I'm talking about a motorcycle riding Buddhist nun wielding dual SMG. Yeah, no wonder everyone wants her DLC.

Part 9 - Awooo

Poor, poor Reisen. Always ended up as Tenshi's support.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Do you know if the DLCs can be activated and deactivated once purchased? I'm interested in getting and trying out the optional characters sometime soon, but would like the ammunition to not show up when I set it so for certain secret reasons  :3.

Your Everyday NEET

The DLC tab in the games library, right? You can just uncheck the DLC.

Ammo not showing up? You mean their yukkuris icon? You don't want them to be randomly dropped in the stages? Pray tell why?

By the way, Byakuren's ammo cap is 1200. She has the highest ammo out of everyone.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
The DLC tab in the games library, right? You can just uncheck the DLC.

Ammo not showing up? You mean their yukkuris icon? You don't want them to be randomly dropped in the stages? Pray tell why?

Oh yeah, forgot that was a feature of Steam. Thanks! I imagine that if I were to try and not use any DLC weapons, it's best to have them out of the droptable. Probably makes the weapons that I do want a little more likely to appear. As to why I wouldn't want to use DLC weapons even after I bought them, well...video-making reasons  :D.

Your Everyday NEET

Shit like this level is why I ended up buying and LPing this game. Am I a masochist or an idiot? Idiot. A big one. Let me explain the detail of why I'm LPing this game in the next part.

Part 10 - Hunt Down The Margatroid

Geez, game. Some restraint please. You're making the game looks like a bad fangame. Like Hunt Down The Freeman. Yeah, I know you both are fangames released around the same time. But come on, man! Have some dignity. Don't follow the example of a bad fangame with troubled production and even worse gameplay and story.

Missing Scroll Pieces:

- Getting hit by this tentacle should sent you to the next island. That's where the Scroll Piece is. Be sure to equip melee damage resistance and shield boost.

- Behind those Dark Fairies. Fuck that pieces! Fuck them! Fuck this level! Fuck Iku! Fuck it! Fuck it!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:44:33 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

Let me explain the detail of why I'm LPing this game in the next part.
So, it's back in January, once I've heard news of Touhou 15.5 will be coming on Steam, I immediately put it on my Wishlist. Because of that, Steam recommended me this game. "A 3D ARPG? It sounds good, let me think about it.". Once it got released, I take a look at it's review to see if it's worth buying or not (I just bought a new game after all). The reviews indicated it's good, but flawed in its design and boss fights is brutal (Something that I already shown). So, I refrain from buying it. Comes March, when I'm kinda stressed out, I had an epiphany: "If this game is flawed, why don't I Let's Play it instead and show it to you guys?" So, here I am.

That's my first reason. I'll tell you my 2nd reason for LPing this game after I finish this game. Which takes me... 5 days...? If I keep my 1 day 1 update schedule.

New Character Obtained:

Eeeh... She's not all that worth using.

Part 11 - SDM Battle Royale

After a stage that I despised, how about a stage that I actually liked?

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
I'm hypothetically betting x amount of $ that the unedited footage of the next part (12) exceeds 25 minutes  :derp:.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:39:44 PM by Gesh86 »

Your Everyday NEET

Part 12 - VS Remilia

If by easier mean she didn't have any instant-kill attack? Then yeah. Not like she's a lightning fast beast or anything. Let's put it this way. My original video is 15 minutes in length. Edited, it's 11 minutes.

New character obtained:

I dig her black and red color scheme.

Oh yeah... the moon. Can't wait to go there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:03:23 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

Your Everyday NEET

Part 14 - Lunar Surface

The moon is beautiful.

Missing Scroll Pieces:

- See that rocket below? Attack it until it flies, it'll give you the Scroll Piece after that.

- During the swarms of Bunny Drone, one of them carries a Scroll Piece. Good luck finding which one.

Bonus Video:
- How to Beat Yorihime

Your Everyday NEET

I like the stage name so much that I feel like spicing it up with my usual title part would be a disservice to them.

Part 15 - Lunar Boundary

I know, right?

Missing Scroll Pieces:

There was originally a rock hiding the piece. A rock that I didn't know it was destructible.

Just 2 more stages before the end.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:44:59 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

Part 16 - Pure Battle - Vs Junko

Thought so. What makes you think you can reason with her?

New Character Obtained:

Yes. We do obtained Clownpiece right before the final stage. She's basically stronger Alice. Too bad I won't be using her as I need Cirno to beat the final boss.

Don't miss the final part of this LP.

Your Everyday NEET

Whew... Finally finished this game. Man, what a final stage it was. Unfortunately,  the resulting video is whooping 50 minutes long . When most parts are mostly around 10-20 minutes in length. You see... the game usually are nice enough to separate main stages from major boss fight. But the final stage don't do that. It's a teleporter maze + fighting in even cramped environment + 3 major boss fights. Yes. Three. And their HP is high enough that Cirno's mere 300 bullets isn't enough to kill them.

With that video length. I can't edit it in 1 day. So here's something I threw together to pass the time:

Kogasa's Showcase

She really is broken. Her ability to shield herself pales in comparison to her immense offensive. Despite her wimpy looking bullets, it deals surprisingly high damage. And she fires it very fast and in 150 degrees (So she immensely useful in later stages' close quarter combat segment). Fires it point blank and bosses die in mere seconds.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:23:23 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

So, I ended up being really late in making the next part. Sorry about that. When I was editing the LP, my friend invited me to watch him play Hollow Knight and recommended me to buy that game. So I did bought it. Once I played it, I got instantly hooked up by that game. It's a really good metroidvania with an emphasis on it's difficulty and it's tense atmosphere. The hand-drawn graphics is really good, the controls are excellent, the combat is intense, and the game is pretty long with lots of area to explore.

Part 17 - The Disappearing of Gensokyo

RIght, this is the end game. The game's title does make sense now in hindsight.

I'll be splitting this stage into 3 parts. One for the stage, and the other 2 is for the 2 endings.

Your Everyday NEET

Wow... I ended up leaving this LP for more than a month. I'm really sorry about that. IRL stuff has been getting into me lately. And then when I'm online, I ended up spending my time with FFXV. I mean, it's FFXV. One of the best RPG of 2016 that finally arrived on PC in 2018. I'm having too much fun joining Noctis and co in their road trip. Oh boy, I ended up babbling too much. *ahem*

Part 18 - White Route

Tenshi fights for the sake of phantoms. And that's what we're gonna do.

New Character Obtained:

Yes. You do get Reimu AFTER completing the game. But her very expensive costs makes sure you won't be able to buy her until after you did ridiculous amount of grinding. Still, she's worth it though. Between her 5 way spread machinegun and destructive power of her special attack and bomb, she has the raw power of DLC characters and she's the only character who could stand a chance on the moon alongside Tenshi and Okuu.

AzyWng

• "I was a dumb American in a place where dumb Americans were less popular than the clap."
  • "So this was it. My easy retirement."
Looks like another LP I'm gonna have to archive binge on... Looks like it's going well.

Your Everyday NEET

After clearing the game on White Route, most of the characters hang out in Heaven. They all have a new dialogue. My favorite in particular is Koishi's. With teh help of Kokoro, Tenshi can interact with Koishi.

Part 19 - Black Route

I'm loving the Black Route. Not because it's sad and depressing, but because it's so needlessly melodramatic and edgy and have a unique ending.

Your Everyday NEET

So, that's all for The Disappearing of Gensokyo, a chinese top-down shooter/Action RPG hybrid that is also the first ever Touhou fangame to be put on Steam. In conclusion, this game is just an average top-down shooter riddled with many flaws. But still, I had fun playing it. I enjoyed fighting hordes of enemies at once and coming on top. I enjoyed traversing through the unique locale of Gensokyo (and desert as well) depicted in 3D. I enjoyed fighting some of the bosses. It's a pretty fun game. However, there are some things that I disliked and even things that makes me raged hard. Reisen is basically the worst character in this game. On top of being the weakest character in the game, her interaction with Tenshi is the worst scene of this game, and it spans almost the entire game. And the less I said about the Dark Fairies the better. While the Black Route is ultimately pointless, there's at least some entertainment with edgelord level of dialogue between Dark Reimu and Tenshi. So, if you're a fan of Touhou (Which obviously you are), and you like top-down shooter, I recommended this game.

My first goal of making this LP is to show you guys this game and maybe I'm able to interest you into playing this game as well. My second goal is to support Touhou fangames developer out there by buying this game and show it to wider audience so that I can tell them that there is a market for Touhou fangames in Steam. And maybe, more well-known Touhou fangames like Labyrinth of Touhou, Megamari, Koumajou Densetsu, and many more will enter Steam at long last and we'll be able to support them more easily. So, the question is: Am I accomplished my goal? Not really. Judging from my low views, I'm unable to attract audiences. And if I think I can influence the market out there, I?m either very narcissistic or I?m very delusional. In the end though, I still have a small number of people watching my LP. And for that, I thank you.

In my next LP, I'll be going back to my regular Screenshot Let's Play (Because let's face it, doing sub commentary on Youtube is kinda stupid and unnecessary). See you guys on my next LP of:

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
And maybe, more well-known Touhou fangames like Labyrinth of Touhou[...]will enter Steam at long last

While LoT2 would also be the fangame I'd like to see the most on the storefront, I think 3peso is too lazy / too addicted to Final Fantasy XIV for that to happen. If v. 1.105 ends up coming out, that's already something we can be thankful for  :D.

So, the question is: Am I accomplished my goal? Not really. Judging from my low views, I'm unable to attract audiences. And if I think I can influence the market out there, I?m either very narcissistic or I?m very delusional. In the end though, I still have a small number of people watching my LP. And for that, I thank you.

Don't underestimate the worth of your LP just because of the viewcount. The Youtube gold rush may be over and Disappearing of Gensokyo has no real chance to ever be a fad game considered by the big players, but every little bit of exposure helps. One thing is good at least: I think the game is already selling far above what the typical fangame can expect. It has more Steam reviews than Antinomy of Common Flowers even.