Author Topic: A replacement for Danmakufu?  (Read 243999 times)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
Re: A replacement for Danmakufu?
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before but: a way to auto-run a script. It could be useful for people who make whole games. I admit full games are pretty rare so this probably isn't really an important addition, but some people would probably like it.

Also, English documentation :D (Not a request. I'm only happy that I'll understand)
And English error messages :D (yeah... I guess it would be kind of normal to get error messages we can actually understand instead of having to use the wiki to finally not find what the error was, totally rebuild your code from scratch, not fixing the error and causing a Faildows crashing error or that kind of tihs...)

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before but: a way to auto-run a script. It could be useful for people who make whole games. I admit full games are pretty rare so this probably isn't really an important addition, but some people would probably like it.
Methinks this would go hand-in-hand with "compiling" scripts. Maybe a "create a custom EXE with the icon of your choice which automatically runs the specified script" too ...

Nuclear Cheese

• Relax and enjoy the danmaku.
    • My homepage
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 01:22:15 AM »

Methinks this would go hand-in-hand with "compiling" scripts. Maybe a "create a custom EXE with the icon of your choice which automatically runs the specified script" too ...

As I mentioned before, I think that generating a custom .EXE off of a compiled set of scripts might be a bit much.  The autorun idea, though, sounds like a pretty good idea.  If nothing else, I could design the program so that you could pass it a script filename on the command line as you run it, and it would bypass script selection menus and go straight into the game itself.
You could have your icon pointing to the game by simply creating a link/shortcut to the program and giving it the appropriate script file in the arguments.

Although, this might get tricky when passing it to others ...

Also, English documentation :D (Not a request. I'm only happy that I'll understand)
And English error messages :D (yeah... I guess it would be kind of normal to get error messages we can actually understand instead of having to use the wiki to finally not find what the error was, totally rebuild your code from scratch, not fixing the error and causing a Faildows crashing error or that kind of tihs...)

Actually, I'm sure you all will be pleased to hear that, in order to expedite development and to shift the crappy documentation tasks and such off of me, I've contracted a bunch of Japanese college students to handle the documentation and error message texts. :D
(lies)
to quote Naut:
"I can see the background, there are too many safespots."
:V

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
First of all, Nuclear Cheese, let me say I have been a fan of your Danmakufu scripts for a while now.

Now, with that out of the way, I would like to hereby declare that I joined this site solely out of interest in this project. I know a few people who go here, but this is my first time posting.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to submit my own suggestions (although frankly, it seems like you've really covered the bases already), as well as offer any (limited) support that I am able to.

And like Stuffman, I shall happily pay you several dollars if you go through with the project / if it will help expedite development of the project.

Maybe.

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »
For some reason, I feel like designing the default "STG_Frame" for this replacement.

Drake

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2009, 12:42:07 AM »
I'm working on the center picture, just so you know.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:11 AM »
Ohz

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2009, 02:33:55 AM »
So, what's the actual name of this project going to be? "A Replacement For Danmakufu" feels, I 'unno, kind of awkward as far as this goes ...

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2009, 02:41:37 AM »
First of all, Nuclear Cheese, let me say I have been a fan of your Danmakufu scripts for a while now.

Now, with that out of the way, I would like to hereby declare that I joined this site solely out of interest in this project. I know a few people who go here, but this is my first time posting.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to submit my own suggestions (although frankly, it seems like you've really covered the bases already), as well as offer any (limited) support that I am able to.

And like Stuffman, I shall happily pay you several dollars if you go through with the project / if it will help expedite development of the project.

Maybe.

... wow, that's pretty crazy.  I knew I'd stir up a bit of a storm (in a good way) by starting this up, but I didn't think people would join solely because of it!  Welcome aboard!

Feel free to give whatever suggestions/comments/etc you think should be made - I'm trying to make this easy to use for the people here, so your thought and opinions are helpful.

And, about the whole "donations" thing - to be honest, I don't really need any financial incentive.  My main limitation is that I have a full, 40hour/week job and family crap to tend to during the week, so my time is somewhat limited.  Most of the posts I made about it were sarcastically commenting on certain members' tendancy to attach 'words of uncertainty' to their offers. :V
I appreciate the offer, though.  It shows that I'm doing something that people are really interested in :D

For some reason, I feel like designing the default "STG_Frame" for this replacement.

I'm working on the center picture, just so you know.

Ohz

Oooh graphics sound good.

Please don't get too violent over who gets to do what, though. ;)

So, what's the actual name of this project going to be? "A Replacement For Danmakufu" feels, I 'unno, kind of awkward as far as this goes ...

Fifth Item: Program's Name:

I'm thinking 無数の弾幕 ("Musuu no Danmaku" - "Countless Barrages") ... any objections/recommendations?

;D
to quote Naut:

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
Ohright!

Hmm. I dunno, something about that title just doesn't resonate with me, or something. I think it has to do with the fact that it's Japanese, with no intrinsic English component, and since this is going to be targetted primarily at English-speakers ... yeah. (At least you could have someone who knows Japanese check your grammar, I guess ...)

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »
Lol, just trying to show my support, Cheese. xD Although it's a relief to hear that you don't need finances, heheh.

And yeah, Time Devotion is always a bit of a troublesome issue. That's part of the reason why I'm interested in this - I'm working on my own game, and I started progression of it on Danmakufu. But frankly, that program is anything but User Friendly.

Thankfully, my Computer Crashed, and development has been on hold, which meant that I didn't get too far in before finding out about this - after reading everything on the first post, and taking a gander at your example scripting, I've decided I'd much rather redevelop the game using your program, once it's completed, rather than continue with Danmakufu, as it would be much less time-consuming from the looks of things.

Of course, that's all assuming you can indeed find the time for this project.

Regarding the name, I think I could come up with a few other suggestions - I have a thing for naming things. So I'll be sure and get back to you on that, as I gotta run at the moment for class.

Toodles~

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2009, 01:48:55 AM »
Ohright!

Hmm. I dunno, something about that title just doesn't resonate with me, or something. I think it has to do with the fact that it's Japanese, with no intrinsic English component, and since this is going to be targetted primarily at English-speakers ... yeah. (At least you could have someone who knows Japanese check your grammar, I guess ...)

Four semesters of Japanese classes, I would hope I'd be able to piece together a two-word phrase without screwing up the grammar :V

As far as the name, I'm open to suggestions.

Lol, just trying to show my support, Cheese. xD Although it's a relief to hear that you don't need finances, heheh.

And yeah, Time Devotion is always a bit of a troublesome issue. That's part of the reason why I'm interested in this - I'm working on my own game, and I started progression of it on Danmakufu. But frankly, that program is anything but User Friendly.

Thankfully, my Computer Crashed, and development has been on hold, which meant that I didn't get too far in before finding out about this - after reading everything on the first post, and taking a gander at your example scripting, I've decided I'd much rather redevelop the game using your program, once it's completed, rather than continue with Danmakufu, as it would be much less time-consuming from the looks of things.

Of course, that's all assuming you can indeed find the time for this project.

Regarding the name, I think I could come up with a few other suggestions - I have a thing for naming things. So I'll be sure and get back to you on that, as I gotta run at the moment for class.

Toodles~

Yeah, that's a thing with Danmakufu - it gets pretty ugly when you start trying to do something larger.  One thing that (hopefully) won't be an issue with my program.

As far as finding time, I should be able to allocate some time each weekend to this, so hopefully we can see a steady progression (even if it is slow).
to quote Naut:

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2009, 02:41:08 AM »
Ohright!

Four semesters of Japanese classes, I would hope I'd be able to piece together a two-word phrase without screwing up the grammar :V
Um, screw me in the spleen, then ... |3

Hm. ... Endless Danmaku, maybe?

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2009, 06:28:32 AM »
Also, a thought occurred to me today to ask about this:

Now, I have several games in-planning. One of them, which I have yet to begin production on, features a Team feature similar to that of Imperishable Night.

I never bothered to look up weather or not that it is even possible to do that on Danmakufu, so I was wondering - would your program offer support for focus/unfocus Team Formations? If you have not thought of this, would it be a possibility to include it?

Also, while not a necessity, it would be really neet if there was a way to include special abilities a la Subterranean Animism. However, due to the extreme level of open-ended-ness in the vaguely descriptive "Special Abilities", I doubt that this would be quite so possible.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
Now, I have several games in-planning. One of them, which I have yet to begin production on, features a Team feature similar to that of Imperishable Night.
This is already very possible in Danmakufu. I'm not sure if we need specific functions for it in Countless Barrages. It's just a matter of If statements to check which character is currently being used.

(to switch my player, you have to use C though)

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
^ Both of those points you mention would be a matter of implementing player scripts with the features in question. I hear Danmakufu had problems with its player scripts, but since I never tried working with it, I don't know exactly what could be improved. "Team" implementation would be a simple matter of swapping out sprites, and I'd be greatly surprised if it took any considerable effort, regardless of how well the scripting works. As for special abilities, you could implement, say, Yukari's teleportation thing rather simply:

If ((Shot button not depressed) && (playerX = minClipX) && (check for tap left)) {
    freeze controls
    manipulate player X to acheive teleportation
    unfreeze controls
}

And the same for the other direction. It's all a matter of how creative you get with the scripting.

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
Well, it's good to know that. Again, I never really looked into those aspects before, so I was unsure.

Also, I thought of a (somewhat lame) name suggestion.

????????? ~ Maiden's Bullet Storm

The Japanese part translates to "Violent Stormy Rain of the East". And the English can be acronymed to MBS, which my mind, in its occasional immaturity, took as a double-meaning for "My Bull****".

Cuz, y'know, some user-generated scripts can be total BS.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
Ehhh for a name I would prefer something more straightforward, like Custom Danmaku Engine. Calling it something like "Countless Barrages" or with Japanese in the title or whatever makes it sound like it's supposed to be its own game, when it's just an engine for running them.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
In honour of another favorite tool of mine, what about Danmaku World Editor?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
Danmaku Maker? marishrug.jpg

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »
LetsDoSomeFuckingDanmaku.exe

P♂ zeal

• Haha,
  • old chap
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »
This is the right idea

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »

Execution = Very Yes

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2009, 04:03:18 AM »
Um, screw me in the spleen, then ... |3

Umm ... I think I'll pass on that offer.  No offense. :V

Wow, I knew kanji could get complicated, but I never thought they'd start looking like full-color forum emoticons! :P

Hm. ... Endless Danmaku, maybe?

Well, it's good to know that. Again, I never really looked into those aspects before, so I was unsure.

Also, I thought of a (somewhat lame) name suggestion.

The Japanese part translates to "Violent Stormy Rain of the East". And the English can be acronymed to MBS, which my mind, in its occasional immaturity, took as a double-meaning for "My Bull****".

Cuz, y'know, some user-generated scripts can be total BS.

Ehhh for a name I would prefer something more straightforward, like Custom Danmaku Engine. Calling it something like "Countless Barrages" or with Japanese in the title or whatever makes it sound like it's supposed to be its own game, when it's just an engine for running them.

In honour of another favorite tool of mine, what about Danmaku World Editor?

Danmaku Maker? marishrug.jpg

Wow, lots of name discussion pretty quickly.  I'm pretty open as to the name, so feel free to come up with a good one.  One thing, though ...

As much as this would be the most epic name ever, I'd prefer to keep it relatively 'kid-friendly'.  Not that I have anything in particular about curse words; it just strikes me as unprofessional (and not very Touhou-ish) to use such a name. :-\

Also, a thought occurred to me today to ask about this:

I never bothered to look up weather or not that it is even possible to do that on Danmakufu, so I was wondering - would your program offer support for focus/unfocus Team Formations? If you have not thought of this, would it be a possibility to include it?

Also, while not a necessity, it would be really neet if there was a way to include special abilities a la Subterranean Animism. However, due to the extreme level of open-ended-ness in the vaguely descriptive "Special Abilities", I doubt that this would be quite so possible.

This is already very possible in Danmakufu. I'm not sure if we need specific functions for it in Countless Barrages. It's just a matter of If statements to check which character is currently being used.

(to switch my player, you have to use C though)

^ Both of those points you mention would be a matter of implementing player scripts with the features in question. I hear Danmakufu had problems with its player scripts, but since I never tried working with it, I don't know exactly what could be improved. "Team" implementation would be a simple matter of swapping out sprites, and I'd be greatly surprised if it took any considerable effort, regardless of how well the scripting works. As for special abilities, you could implement, say, Yukari's teleportation thing rather simply:

t3h codes

And the same for the other direction. It's all a matter of how creative you get with the scripting.

IN-style teams are perfectly possible in Danmakufu (even the part about switiching with focus), and should be just as feasible in my program as well, once it gets going.  Special abilities are, as Blue_Wolf points out, a very ambiguous category, but should be doable as long as you know what you're doing in the code.

I don't have muchany experience with coding player scripts in Danmakufu, so (I might have asked this already ... my brain is slightly fried at the moment) it would be helpful if people point out any particular issues they've had in Danmakufu.

I was just writing up some new code*, and I thought I'd share a few things:

Infinite loop protection has been added to the Execution Engine.
If a single event script runs for more than 100,000,000 commands (value subject to change), it will be aborted under the assumption that an infinite loop has occurred.  By my test run on my not-so-new (3-4 years) desktop, this took about 50 seconds or so to hit.
(Please keep in mind - 'command' here refers to the low-level commands that the program uses internally.  A single line of script code could reduce to multiple commands, depending on complexity.)

Added two more commands to the Execution Engine - sub and jmp.
sub is subtraction.  jmp jumps to another part of the current event script.  Wheeeee~.

Image loading is done.
Currently, unlike Danmakufu, you can specify an image file without loading it first - the program will just-in-time load it when it goes to draw it on the screen.  I should probably still include a function to load an image ahead of time, so that JIT image loading won't bog things down a bit on slower computers.
... still need to code image unloading, though :V

Objects have images.
Every object in the game now has the option of specifying an image.  If specified, that image will automatically be drawn at the object's location each frame.  You can also determine whether or not the image gets rotated with the object's angle - you'd probably want a bullet to rotate as such, but you'd rarely want an enemy boss to rotate as such.
The advantage to this approach is that, for graphically simple objects, you won't even need to define a Draw event - you just assign the image and the program does the work for you!

Also, if I didn't mention it last time -
If you specify an object's speed and angle, it will automatically move at that speed and angle.  This will work for all objects (I think Danmakufu only allows it for shots), and can be a simple way to create movement.  There will be other movement functions as necessary, of course.
I currently have angle zero set as straight up (contrast Danmakufu, where zero is straight right).  Like Danmakufu, increasing angle is rotating clockwise.

* 9/80 work week is probably the most awesome thing ever, if only because I get every other Friday off for FREE.
to quote Naut:

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2009, 04:11:54 AM »
jmp jumps to another part of the current event script.
Oh god YES.

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2009, 04:17:46 AM »
Ugh, this always happens - >_> whenever I paste Kanji from the PS3, it always comes up as jibberish or Question Marks.

Oh well, doesn't really matter, as Stuffman did point out that that kind of name was more suited for ana ctual game than a game-maker.

Moving on~

Excellent, excellent, and more excellent. ^_^ Already making progress, and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

My experience with player scripting was...shaky, at best, since as stated before, I had only just barely started production on my game, so I don't have much to offer by way of personal grievances with Danmakufu's player scripting.

Keep up the good work, Cheese. ^^;; I'll keep on brainstorming name ideas. Also, I'll see what I can do about running through the scripting I had so far with danmakufu so as to report any suggestions I can make.

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
Hey. If I had a credit card, I'd donate you 40$ for this project!
You rock!!!

Anyways, I have a name suggestion that may be kid friendly and touhou-life.
How about something as basic as "Danmaku Infinite"?
Inspired by how MUGEN(Which means infinite, for those that don't know) is a literal game of infinite content, Danmaku Infinite is a shmup of infinite stages and bosses!
Alternatively, you can call it Touhou Infinite. But people not interested in spell cards wont touch spell cards, there for making "Touhou" redundant.

I think the name is basic enough to remember, but cool enough to not be boring either.

Nuclear Cheese

• My homepage
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2009, 06:21:09 AM »
jmp jumps to another part of the current event script.
Oh god YES.

When you boil it down, just about every control structure in programming comes down to a conditional jump.  It's just that, usually, they don't use them directly, 'cause when used recklessly they cause problems.  Plus it's harder to get good-looking code with a bunch of goto's spattered about.

In a high level language, arbitrary jumps like that are rarely, if ever, needed; many consider their use in any context to be the programming equivalent of a cardinal sin (for the record, I don't subscribe to that line of thought).  My current plan does not include a goto-like statement in the higher-level scripting.  If there's enough demand, I can add it in though.

Anyways, I have a name suggestion that may be kid friendly and touhou-life.
How about something as basic as "Danmaku Infinite"?
Inspired by how MUGEN(Which means infinite, for those that don't know) is a literal game of infinite content, Danmaku Infinite is a shmup of infinite stages and bosses!
Alternatively, you can call it Touhou Infinite. But people not interested in spell cards wont touch spell cards, there for making "Touhou" redundant.

I think the name is basic enough to remember, but cool enough to not be boring either.

This is actually the train of thought that landed me on 無数の弾幕 (Musuu no Danmaku).  I decided to avoid the direct reference to MUGEN, since there's quite a lot of people (especially in the fighting game community) who view it as the deepest shitpit of failure ever to exist.

Infact, Musuu no Danmaku could be pretty much read as "Infinite Danmaku".
to quote Naut: