Author Topic: Using DOSBox instead of Anex86, T98-Next and Neko Project II?  (Read 5530 times)

Poison Cat

Using DOSBox instead of Anex86, T98-Next and Neko Project II?
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
Has anyone tried to install the PC-98 games with DOSBox and play them from the .exe? I have no idea if this is possible and don't know how to do this myself.
You can obtain the .exe and the other files from the .hdi files. Just curious if you can use this method to play the games.

Re: Using DOSBox instead of Anex86, T98-Next and Neko Project II?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure this isn't possible because the PC-98 specifically runs a Japan-only version of DOS called DOS-V and uses a unique hardware set, while DOSBox will only emulate the standard MS-DOS and IBM-PC architecture.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
I just tried. The results are... promising.

[attach=1]

You'll need the latest Dosbox-X release.

Copy the dosbox.reference.conf as dosbox.conf.
Edit dosbox.conf, find the line that says machine=(something) and change it to machine=pc98.
Run Dosbox-X, and in the DOS prompt, type:

Code: [Select]
imgmount d path_and_name_of_your_image_file.hdi
d:
autoexec

Then tweak the cycles with Ctrl-F11 and Ctrl+F12 until the game runs smoothly (around 30k cycles should work).

This is cutting edge stuff (the developer got Touhou to run 2 months ago) so expect bugs. 東方靈異伝 ~ The Highly Responsive to Prayers has a bunch of red garbage squares on screen for example.

Poison Cat

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
So the conclusion would be that it isn't possible to actually install the game and play it from the .exe like you used to do in the "old times", but you can actually use the program to play the game from the .hdi files (with possible errors)? This is interesting.