Author Topic: 14th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest  (Read 74261 times)

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Re: 14th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
Gotcha! I will be sure to write all future posts with the mindset of making sure you in particular will be able to understand them completely.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:05 AM »
I actually agree with him, at least in regards that one post of yours. It's understandably frustrating to be told by many "esteemed members" you shouldn't complain about the fandom at large and then one of them does just that. A bit more elaboration would've been nice just so it didn't come off as pure dislike.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:41 AM »
That's letting the response to what I said color what I said. Setting aside the fact that I am known to not really mince words when I don't like things, if there is ambiguity in something someone says, it's very poor form to take that ambiguity and assume the worst possible interpretation is the correct one.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »
I'm okay with people having opinions, but in this case it's too outrageous to ignore.

"I'm okay with people having opinions unless their ones i don't like and made up completely on the spot"

You just can't help but assume the worse from everything.
Just admit it, you were wrong this time, kid.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2018, 05:57:36 AM »
There is seriously a fight going on about filthy casuals right now. Y'all should prooooobably calm down. Maybe switch to talking about something else. I find it interesting that HSiFS has such a high rate of Lunatic clears compared to other games. Personally I thought it was actually pretty difficult even with releases (relative to the others of course- pretty much all touhou games are difficult). Same with PoFV, though that one makes a bit more sense given how clearing with any character would count as a clear.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
[...]it's very poor form to take that ambiguity and assume the worst possible interpretation is the correct one.
[...]You just can't help but assume the worse from everything.[...]

...How was my assumption "the worst possible interpretation", again? And if it's wrong, why is there STILL no post to clear up the ambiguity and prove it?

But whatever. If you people don't want to learn from your own mistakes and choose to see my arguments in a strictly negative light then fine, be that way. I'll see myself out.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
I imagine I am upset for the same reasons that anyone else would be upset if the category they considered to be the most important one was so far behind so many other categories. :V It's not like I don't enjoy basically everything that was an option. (Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicious ZUN appreciates and agrees with the top result.)
Which category are you even pointing at? The way currently this post is, it is extremely subject to multiple assumptions. Plus, you're making assumptions yourself by saying "for the same reasons". How do you know that, for example if I would've been upset, it would've been the same reason? Neither you and I expressed this yet so wouldn't this make it an assumption on your end? Hence, to avoid such cases, I even asked you why, because I was genuinely interested and curious without making false assumptions myself.
Also, did you miss this question or just didn't want to answer it? What ever the reason might be, I'll respect it.

On topic generally: To me it feels people are taking both themselves and the results way too serious. Majority of the votes come from the Japanese fanbase, followed up by East Asia. The results speak clearly that there is a high attraction to the Music, Character, Setting and then obviously the derivative works. The votes from Europe and Americas are hardly significant which makes me wonder what you're all trying to prove or point out? I honestly cannot see the added value nor I can understand the silly personal attacks.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
...How was my assumption "the worst possible interpretation", again?

Because you not only assumed my intention was "ugh fucking secondaries", you were so sure of it you actually replied to my post by arguing against the idea of "ugh fucking secondaries" instead of asking me to clarify without attaching any sort of assumptions to your post (like Helecopter did). Why would you so immediately and so strongly assume that my intention was "ugh fucking secondaries", and not, just as one of many possible examples, a Touhou social forum administrator expressing distress that "Social Interaction" came in dead last by a pretty wide margin? (Yes, I'm aware the demographics are different.)

Helecopter: I didn't miss your post, I figured my response was clear and good enough. Honestly, I don't really know how to reword it to be clearer. :(

I have mostly intentionally kept the category I am talking about ambiguous since it seemed more important in the aftermath of my post to demonstrate against the dangers of bad faith assumptions. A teachable moment, if you will. Anyway, my reasons for not elaborating initially were twofold:

* I genuinely did not think my post would be such a lightning rod of discussion and incorrect assumptions; I had figured it innocuous enough that people would read it, either nod or shrug, and move on to more important things. It was blowing off distress steam more than making any sort of attempt to start a discussion.
* That post was made at 7 AM on a Sunday while I was at KatsuCon and was facing ~12 hours of driving to head home later that day, so independent of the above, I was not exactly 100% conscious and focused on making a big deal out of things. :V

I can give a much more elaborate explanation of where I was coming from with that post, but I don't honestly know when I'll have the time to do so. I shouldn't have even written this much right now.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »
Q. Can I vote for Rin Satsuki?
A. As a character which does not officially exist, she will not be included.

So that's why i couldn't find her..

then again she's nothing but a line of code in Eosd

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
Because you not only assumed my intention was "ugh fucking secondaries"[...]

...That bit was not targeted at you at all. If you took that as an attack, well, then you're the one making groundless assumptions here. I mentioned that mostly just because that was a thing that stood out to me the most, and I figured you'd just correct me if my assumption was wrong.

But hey, good job ignoring that it's not all about you and that my post did spark a discussion with more people on both sides.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Sure, Jan.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
I find it interesting that HSiFS has such a high rate of Lunatic clears compared to other games. Personally I thought it was actually pretty difficult even with releases (relative to the others of course- pretty much all touhou games are difficult). Same with PoFV, though that one makes a bit more sense given how clearing with any character would count as a clear.
Releases are OP as all hell, so it wasn't surprising to me in the least. Even though some are still obviously better than others, having one or two shots be so good is bound to skew the results somewhat, like a lesser version of PoFV.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Releases are OP as all hell, so it wasn't surprising to me in the least. Even though some are still obviously better than others, having one or two shots be so good is bound to skew the results somewhat, like a lesser version of PoFV.

That's fair I guess. It's effectively a game with 16 shot types so you have a lot of options to choose from, like PoFV. I think my problem is that I suck with Autumn release and all the others, while definitely strong, don't have nearly as much cheesing potential. Autumn has kind of a high learning curve I think- it's tough to not ram into enemies, but once you learn how it becomes ridiculously good. Except secretly it's just that I suck lol.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:22:17 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

VTPHOENIX

• What's this?
  • Miraculous girl.
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
Autumn has kind of a high learning curve I think- it's tough to not ram into enemies, but once you learn how it becomes ridiculously good.

But how do you even keep track of where you are with autumn? It's so speedy...  :ohdear:
Even while you're down here, F.O.E.!

Hieda no Mukyu

• Eastern philology in limbo
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
I have not really followed these polls over the years, just taken a peek or two sometimes.

It is funny that I was shocked realizing how much Cirno has come down during the last ten years. I am not a Cirno fan, but she?s, like, always been there, belonged to the super-favorites in those circles whose activities I follow. Even last year?s tanned Cirno hype appeared huge to me. Now I am forced to check back and see that less than five hundred tanned Cirno images have reached Danbooru.

Any learned soul care to give me a lecture on the Cirno fandoms of Japan and different western countries?

As for the rest of the results, especially Kokoro?s relatively good ranking warms my heart. ♡

I am also happy for Meiling, Patchouli, Kogasa and Marisa?s rankings.

Yōmu might be overrated at present, but heck, why did they not realize her cuteness level back in the days? And what was it that marked her breakthrough?

« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »
But how do you even keep track of where you are with autumn? It's so speedy...  :ohdear:

I don't know about others, but I've played a loooot of ReimuC back in SA, so using Autumn became second nature for me, hahahah!

« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »

The Shift Key is your friend

hug it until the end