Author Topic: 14th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest  (Read 75272 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: 14th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
It's bashing because yalls (not you in particular, Kilga) blow it out of proportion and try to go all "SEE! SEE! SHE WAS ALWAYS THE WORST!" It's weird purity testing that only gets applied to Byakuren.

I would argue Byakuren is not generally unique in this regard and point to the Fortune Teller's somehow-increasing popularity as a fandom-indictment of the idea that Reimu is a good girl/hero/whatever. Though, perhaps Reimu and the Fortune Teller really only applies to the Eastern fandom while the Byakuren issue really only applies to the Western fandom.

Regardless, I believe Byakuren is the only 2hu to get this "purity test" because Byakuren more than any other 2hu has a fanbase that tries to apply purity to her in the first place. It's been long enough since her debut and the title "Youkai Jesus" has been used jokingly often enough that people have likely forgotten (or never realized in the first place) that the term was originally coined and used completely unironically. That is, if you see folks trying to knock Byakuren off her pedestal, it may very likely be because of how she was (at least somewhat dishonestly) put on that pedestal in the first place. Had Byakuren's flaws been generally acknowledged, accepted, and appreciated since the beginning, there wouldn't be a tenth of the people holding her feet to the fire.

It is true that Byakuren is not the literal worst.
Spoiler:
(It is not possible for her to be the literal worst as long as she is in the same franchise as Remilia. :colbert:)
It is also true that she is not a flawless saint. Both of these sentiments are worthy of scorn, especially if they come about as a result of intellectual dishonesty.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
^Seconded everything Purvis said
Please do not employ misrepresentation and hyperbole if you wish to honestly discuss this.
...and calling everyone who has a different argument from you as ignorant or willfully ignoring, then comparing them to polarizing politicians... is totally fair, just, sensible and not hyperbolic at all?
Reminder:
substantial portion of her fanbase either completely missed it or willfully discarded it and went full Sarah Huckabee Sanders when talking about her with people that knew the truth
You can?t throw an ignorant insulting dismissive statement at the fanbase, then get back on your virtuous high horse when being challenged

She?s the only one who tries to look better than she is without acknowledging her negative side at all. That's called hypocrisy and nobody likes it. Why is that so hard to understand?
See? I can also use the exact same quote of ?thank for immediately providing perfect examples? of just how severe the Byakuren Witchhunt Syndrome is at this board.
Tries to look better? Base on what? Since when? She?s never went further than saying she is a monk trying to help people... she?s never claimed to be a second-coming-super-ultra-holy-deluxe-saviour; and yet everyone treating any instance she even show a slightest of flaws as ?See? She was a lying hypocrite all along!?

It?s a witchhunt base on the strawman you project onto herself, that?s what it is

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
I would argue Byakuren is not generally unique in this regard and point to the Fortune Teller's somehow-increasing popularity as a fandom-indictment of the idea that Reimu is a good girl/hero/whatever. Though, perhaps Reimu and the Fortune Teller really only applies to the Eastern fandom while the Byakuren issue really only applies to the Western fandom.

Regardless, I believe Byakuren is the only 2hu to get this "purity test" because Byakuren more than any other 2hu has a fanbase that tries to apply purity to her in the first place. It's been long enough since her debut and the title "Youkai Jesus" has been used jokingly often enough that people have likely forgotten (or never realized in the first place) that the term was originally coined and used completely unironically. That is, if you see folks trying to knock Byakuren off her pedestal, it may very likely be because of how she was (at least somewhat dishonestly) put on that pedestal in the first place. Had Byakuren's flaws been generally acknowledged, accepted, and appreciated since the beginning, there wouldn't be a tenth of the people holding her feet to the fire.

It is true that Byakuren is not the literal worst.
Spoiler:
(It is not possible for her to be the literal worst as long as she is in the same franchise as Remilia. :colbert:)
It is also true that she is not a flawless saint. Both of these sentiments are worthy of scorn, especially if they come about as a result of intellectual dishonesty.

Well, when Byakuren came out and Youkai Jesus hit, there wasn't much contrary information? Like, it happened on day zero, before like anything other than the ingame text was translated. So it's not really a dishonest basis so much as a consequence of linear time causing fandom to happen?

And even then, it's hardly the first time background in the manual and stuff has gone ignored for long periods of time. Yet...there's some weird things where some folks just make it a point to hurl themselves at trying to tear down Byakuren because it's "inaccurate", yet never said a word against, say, mischaracterizations of Meiling or Ran or Chen?  (Not you, of course, because I know you've spoken out on a few of those at least). So it's probably not correcting the record in most cases?

Really it just comes off as people real mad that Byakuren is more popular than their favorite, and have a go at her because it's easier than building up their favorite instead.  Not every case, obviously, but there's sure enough of them.

Point of Fortuneman, though. He never made a huge splash in the west, and seems to in the east?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:49:22 PM by Purvis Black »

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
Also, I'm surprised you're completely unaware of Streisand effect. Because that's exactly why Byaku's dream self caused such a ruckus in fandom. For others they're an exaggeration of what we see and know of. For her it's an exaggeration of what everyone tries to ignore or wave off as if it's nothing.
You are not even using applying the Streisand Effect in the correct context. No one is even trying to hide anything, except for your own paranoia projection of people doing so.
There has been absolutely little to no so-claimed ?ruckus? (except maybe in this witchhuntint circle), because people actually are sensible enouh to know the dreamworld portrayal of everyone is an absolute joke. The only people who would actually try to find the silverbullet in these dreamworld portrayals, are only those with the agenda of character assassination in the first place

EDIT: Also, I?ve just realised this whole thread?s entire argument hinges on the idea that people actually takes the ?Youkai Jesus?meme at 100% literal values
That would be an entirely gross mischaracterization and strawman of the entire fan group. Since, c?mon, you are actually trying to argue that people takes meme as absolute truth. Considering the majority of people on the internet do not even believe in the idea of a ?virtuous Jesus? in the first place, any reference of the meme is almost always tongue-in-cheek
...because that?s what a ?meme? is about

And yet you guys try to take this as absolute face value, and went on a crusade to try tearing down this perfect saint virtuous image that no-one seriously believe in the first place; to the point of pointing out any instance of her misdeeds as ?hypocritical?, for failing to meet up with the standards that she never once did impose on herself; nor do people actually try to argue for.

In short, the thing you are trying to disprove doesn?t even exist... and yet to take it even one step further, everyone here use any instance of people trying to disprove some of the more malicious mischaracterization and accusation as ?See? You guys do believe she is perfect afterall!?

No, just because we believe some of the accusations are grossly unfair, and misrepresentative... that doesn?t mean we would have to adhere to the idea that she is a pure virtuous Holy being, in order to argue otherwise
Because that would just be a false dichotomy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:08:40 PM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
I agree with Purvis that, at least at first, there wasn't much going against her portrayal as Youkai-Jesus during her initial appearance, so it's understandable why someone would have viewed her that way back then. Saying no one takes the "meme" seriously is a bit unfair when people (not just me) really do. This PV actually influenced my opinion of her a lot (call me whatever for letting the fandom influence me, I guess).

I also agree that, post SoPM, the fact that she isn't Youkai Jesus became more and more apparent. However, for me and only me (I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their opinion and I'm not arrogant enough to assume it was this way for anyone else) AoCF was the tipping point. It wasn't the "silver bullet" that killed the witch, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. As I said, my opinion of her dropped a bit after HM and a bit after ULiL. Seeing her dream self, for me, just really drove home the point the previous games had been making.

You guys are really blowing this out of proportion tbh. Things don't have to be as black and white as "intellectual dishonesty vs a witchhunt against a a waifu".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:59:32 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
Well, when Byakuren came out and Youkai Jesus hit, there wasn't much contrary information? Like, it happened on day zero, before like anything other than the ingame text was translated. So it's not really a dishonest basis so much as a consequence of linear time causing fandom to happen?

And even then, it's hardly the first time background in the manual and stuff has gone ignored for long periods of time. Yet...there's some weird things where some folks just make it a point to hurl themselves at trying to tear down Byakuren because it's "inaccurate", yet never said a word against, say, mischaracterizations of Meiling or Ran or Chen?  (Not you, of course, because I know you've spoken out on a few of those at least). So it's probably not correcting the record in most cases?

Really it just comes off as people real mad that Byakuren is more popular than their favorite, and have a go at her because it's easier than building up their favorite instead.  Not every case, obviously, but there's sure enough of them.

I've had Byakuren fans tell me directly, in no uncertain terms, that they were taking canon information and knowingly discarding it because it did not fit their do-no-wrong characterization of her. So...I don't really know what you want me to do here. I will certainly do my best to not directly accuse someone of discussing Byakuren in bad faith if I don't know for sure that they are, but I also cannot and will not pretend all Byakuren fans act in good faith, because I know for sure at least some do not.

Perhaps the Byakuren supporters in this thread were genuinely not aware that such people existed, and have existed for quite a while? (SoPM was my first experience with them, but it's possible they existed before that.) I wouldn't hold it against any of you if you didn't. But this is where I am, and presumably at least some other people are, coming from.

Paz: You need to calm the fuck down before you post in this thread again. This is your one warning.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
So while y'all are still talking about Byakuren's polarizing popularity, I'm actually very curious (yet also very happy still) as to why Koishi still top 3?

Like, I'm legitimately curious. I know when she got 1st place in 2015 (and made a very sudden jump to top 3 for the 10th popularity poll), I thought it was gonna be just a short-lived popularity jump due to a few factors (HM just came out which made her randomness/silliness actually canonical, and the whole popularity poll reset). But now she's just been consistently hovering in top 3 and I'm curious as to why. Remember that in 9th popularity poll, she was only ranked 14th, lower than her older sister.

I mean, I'm not complaining but just surprised that her extremely high popularity is still this consistent.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
Well, she still shows up in fighting games and her appearances are still quite memorable.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
I've had Byakuren fans tell me directly, in no uncertain terms, that they were taking canon information and knowingly discarding it because it did not fit their do-no-wrong characterization of her. So...I don't really know what you want me to do here. I will certainly do my best to not directly accuse someone of discussing Byakuren in bad faith if I don't know for sure that they are, but I also cannot and will not pretend all Byakuren fans act in good faith, because I know for sure at least some do not.

Perhaps the Byakuren supporters in this thread were genuinely not aware that such people existed, and have existed for quite a while? (SoPM was my first experience with them, but it's possible they existed before that.) I wouldn't hold it against any of you if you didn't. But this is where I am, and presumably at least some other people are, coming from.

I mean. We had a dude famously flame out because Mystia wasn't the pure idol he thought she was, and had another flame out because Hatate existed and this convinced him that Touhou wasn't tightly plotted and ZUN was "just making stuff up". Maybe it's just because I never really encountered them, but those seem like edge cases?

Also: Koishi's been a meme for a long time. Getting an official appearance just solidified people behind her, I think.

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »
So while y'all are still talking about Byakuren's polarizing popularity, I'm actually very curious (yet also very happy still) as to why Koishi still top 3?

Like, I'm legitimately curious. I know when she got 1st place in 2015 (and made a very sudden jump to top 3 for the 10th popularity poll), I thought it was gonna be just a short-lived popularity jump due to a few factors (HM just came out which made her randomness/silliness actually canonical, and the whole popularity poll reset). But now she's just been consistently hovering in top 3 and I'm curious as to why. Remember that in 9th popularity poll, she was only ranked 14th, lower than her older sister.

I mean, I'm not complaining but just surprised that her extremely high popularity is still this consistent.

I think I read somewhere back then that her psychopathic and murderous nature (due to the urban legend) in ULiL gained a lot of attention from the fans. I guess since then, people just stuck with her.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
I mean. We had a dude famously flame out because Mystia wasn't the pure idol he thought she was, and had another flame out because Hatate existed and this convinced him that Touhou wasn't tightly plotted and ZUN was "just making stuff up". Maybe it's just because I never really encountered them, but those seem like edge cases?

No, at least a couple were people I respected (and still respect) and are at least somewhat within the overall Touhou fandom.

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
We're talking about Touhou Project, a series where everyone gets enjoyment out of the series in so many ways that has so many elements set in an open-ended manner that causes the fanbase to come up with all sorts of ideas, theories and all that good stuff. It is rather likely... no, a guarantee that everyone will take their own interpretation of a character regardless of how canon works even if it guarantees that they're "wrong" in the sense that canon elements brought certain things that contradicts how they feel about a character. If someone wants to think Byakuren is some pure lady or think she's the opposite then it's going to happen regardless because they might interpret how she behaves in different ways. Byakuren may be polarizing in some ways but then we could bring up how some characters may have done or actually did things that could be considered horrible by some people but it's set aside for all sorts of reasons. An example in my case is Minamitsu who's detailed in a pretty grim way in SoPM but I still found her very sympathetic in some ways. I know some people who considers her a horrible monster instead.

It just can't be helped and one can say one can joke, argue and all that as they want but this is Touhou Project, a series that, again is enjoyed for so many different reasons with people who don't care about the lore and might like some characters just for their looks, only cares about the music or is just interested in playing the Danmaku games for the challenge. For every single person who votes for Reimu, one might vote because she's the first character that comes to mind, because they like how she acts, how she look, nostalgia or all sorts of other reasons. Also yeah, I got the context of what was written earlier too seriously and I should've known better.   :3
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:07:08 PM by Jeremie »
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »
Spoiler:
Hey man, leave ojousama alone  :ohdear:

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
Since, c?mon, you are actually trying to argue that people takes meme as absolute truth.

People latching on to a first impression is a very natural human thing to do.  And when it comes to Touhou, 90% of first impressions come via memes.
Also, there is always the subgroup of humanity that will take even the most obvious jokes as serious matters.
If you need any more evidence, just look at the state US politics is in.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
To nip that particular line of thinking in the bud, "Youkai Jesus" was indeed created and originally used unironically, as I stated before. It has become a silly meme since, but it has not always been one. People who did not have a proper finger on the pulse of the fandom when UFO was new should probably refrain from commentary on the origins of that phrase.

It's not my fault you have shit taste :V

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »

Besides, that's a funny say of saying that
Spoiler:
Flandre
is the worst. :^)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
Paz: You need to calm the fuck down before you post in this thread again. This is your one warning.

Yeah sure, flaunt and abuse your power because it?s much more convenient to do so when people call you out; since you are the only one here allowed to be dismissive of people and throwing outrageous blanket statement. I will gladly take my banhammer as a badge of honor because that would just show for the amount of echo-chambering going on here.

But to not digress, I am sure those unsavory fan members exist, as that is the nature of fan; but they would only consist of a few vocal minority and is not at all representative of the Byakuren fandom as a whole. Yet, the amount of organised effort in calling them out, proving them wrong, is completely disproportionate to just how little of a concern they are; in comparison to the majority of the fanbase who get grouped together and got blanket statements thrown at just because a few individual exist.

And it?s not like these ?debunking attempts? are actually fair and just either, where something as ludicrous as ?Dreamworld? is considered legit evidence just so people in the thread can go ?See? She was a hypocrite all along. The fans are ignorant if they don?t agree with my truth?. Of course provocative statements like that would cause people like I showing up just to challenge for how unfair and one-sided those narratives are.

And despite the tough combatative stance, I believe I?ve still latgely remained respectful without hurling direct insults or foul language. If your only ground for banning is tone-policing, because people get upset with you for the thing that you said about them, then so be it.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2018, 11:18:02 PM »
Aye, seems a bit misguided to judge a character based on speech and behavior that they would NOT normaly adopt tbh. The dream selves are pretty much the expression of whatever their real selves suppress or try to suppress irl. While these are actual part of what some characters truly feel about some things, there is a divide between the way the dream and real selves act and speak. See Reisen for example : while understandably frustrated from being thrown around quite a bit, she is too timid and indecisive to properly respond. Dream!Reisen, however, was pretty gangsta about things and went ahead to beat the sources of her frustrations (and in a twist of irony, somehow screw the real Reisen over). Is it fair to consider the real Reisen to be a brutish, barbaric manatee ? Definitely not, since that's not how she would act in the first place.

Even so, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss entirely the dream selves completely when it comes to how indicative they are when it comes to anyone's most intimate thoughts and feelings. There is a reason why Doremy pretty much say they're "honest". Those dream versions don't put any pretenses nor do they rationalize their behavior. They're only expressing whatever their real selves might've already been inclined to feel. Byakuren might live the rigorous life of a vegan ascetic who tries to change the world and maybe try for enlightenment along the way : by any means, feeling a bit tired with all of that and possibly wanting to take a few shortcuts, really really deep down, should be pretty reasonable.

Byakuren just so happen to get the short end of the stick cuz the indolent, sleazy laissez-faire attitude of her dream self and her admissions when it comes to some of the tasks at Myouren temple kinda go against the hard-at-work serious reliable head priest image of hers. It's a bit less problematic for Miko, Mamizou and Tenshi cuz their dream versions don't particularly make their real selves come off as sleazy, nor does it hurt any particular image of theirs, be it in universe or in the fandom.

I guess it's a bit like when seeing that a superior who you'd look up to turns out to be watching p*rn or something, or that the girlfriend so happens to need to poop gets discovered : while not damning, it's not exactly something that's good for their image. I guess being inclined to laziness might be not exactly something that anyone would want to see from someone who is supposedly mainly about priesthood, ascetism and discipline. Dream!Byakuren just sends the thought police to real Byakuren's door or something.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:27:05 PM by Suspicious person »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:43 PM »
Yet, the amount of organised effort in calling them out, proving them wrong, is completely disproportionate to just how little of a concern they are

See, here's the thing it appears a lot of people apparently completely missed: The start of this current thread tangent had nothing to do with Byakuren haters, it started with a Byakuren fan lowering his(?) opinion of her due to her characterization in AoCF. This person doesn't hate her or anything and had still been a fan while acknowledging her flaws shown in previous games. No one else had really done any more than point out that Byakuren's character has been discussed in the Touhou fandom for ages (which is a factually true statement) before the over-emotional defensive takes started and the thread became an argument over how the fandom perceives the 41st-most popular Touhou.

Like, please, please point me to a post in this thread where a hater comes in and says Byakuren sucks. With how, ah, passionate you've been about this topic in this thread in particular, surely a single post shouldn't be hard to find?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:31:52 PM by Kilgamayan »

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »
Sure, just conveniently ignore everything I have pointed out about people misrepresenting. Sure, wouldn?t be hard at all to find any of those instances

This part: ...is outright stated in her UFO profile.
As for everything else, there IS a huge distinction. Miko, Tenshi and Mamizou were/are showing those sides of them from the start while Byakuren hides it like it's never been a thing. I guess that looks too much like hypocrisy, no matter whether she just tries to overcome it and fails or is legitimately still feeding her selfish side.
Yeah, because bringing her back story from 1000 years ago to interpret her current action, is totally not cherry-nitpicking at all
Like, how dare she changes after 1000 years? Since she acts different from how she acts 1000 years ago, she is clearly being a hypocrite.

She's the only one who tries to look better than she is without acknowledging her negative side at all. That's called hypocrisy and nobody likes it. Why is that so hard to understand?
I say she?s bad, and if she dares to act in good manner, then that?s deceptive and hypocritical since she is only allowed to act accodingly to my horrible interpretation of her.
...like, that?s not even how hypocrisy works, You tell me how any of this is not accusatory.

Again,just have to bring this quote up, since it?s such a good example of ?people disagree with my interpretation are all ignorant or dishonest?
her fanbase either completely missed it or willfully discarded it and went full Sarah Huckabee Sanders when talking about her with people that knew the truth.
The fact is, all this ?truths? are completely flimsy allegations that so far has held so little ground. There?s more canon evidence of her being good-natured (even in AoCF), than all of this accusatory based on the most recent revelation of ?Gasp, her exaggerated dreamworld version exhibits laziness!?
If anything, considering it being the least malicious version of everybody?s other Dreamworld versions, thiswould be an evidence for her more positive nature, not less.

Yet all of these accusation still sticks, don?t you see just how this doesn?t somewhat suggest that there is somewhat of an intense purity testing with the utmost scrutiny aimed unfairly specifically toward Byakuren going on here?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:27:59 AM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:52 AM »
Look, at this point everyone can agree that Byakuren isn't "the pure and pristine Youkai Jesus". A lot of people thought she was, with different people abandoning that view at different points. Some never saw her that way in the first place. Some realized she isn't that way around SoPM or HM. For some, AoCF was the last nail in the coffin.

My point was that, since I thought of her that way, I really really liked the character. Now that I realize that she isn't Youkai Jesus, and I can see how she actually is (a flawed individual, whether good or bad), I no longer like the character as much. It's not that I think Byakuren is a shit character. It's that I no longer see her as the most awesome character in the series.

I don't think ANYONE here is saying that Byakuren is a horrible terrible person. Your argument stems around the idea that people are talking trash about her, but nobody was. They were basically saying (in a more polite way) "it took you this long to realize she's not Youkai Jesus? She's done XYZ i games ABC to show that she isn't, and really has never been". Even now nobody's saying that she's a terrible person, in fact several people have said they appreciate her more because she's not an idol, she's imperfect but she's trying to overcome her flaws.

This whole Byakuren bashing argument is silly, because nobody was saying she's bad in the first place. While the question of "is she a presenting herself as a saint but deep down she's feeding her selfishness, or does she feel selfish impulses and still tries to overcome them" is still kind of up in the air, at this point there's really no way of saying for certain.

I guess I should have prefaced by saying I've voted for Byakuren as my #1 since I started voting and now she's, like, #4. And using that statement about assholes might have given people the wrong idea. But still.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:05:53 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:55 AM »
Frankly, I was more surprised by Doremy's vs. mode comment implying that Byakuren had successfully abandoned most of her desires through her Buddhist training. She's been more successful than I had thought.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:50 AM »
I don't think ANYONE here is saying that Byakuren is a horrible terrible person... Even now nobody's saying that she's a terrible person
All the dialogues I?ve quoted, CyberAngel constantly calling her hypocrite base on a profile of her 1000 years ago, isn?t bashing?

Some realized she isn't that way around SoPM or HM. For some, AoCF was the last nail in the coffin.
Yeah except this train of thouht in itself, is again, one of slinging allegations and searching for negatives out of thin air
Like I already said in the dialoguw, if anything, AoCF was positive for her, not negative.
Also Everyone is wholly focus on a gag dialogue in a dreamworld scenario, yet convienently ignore a genuine instance, where Miko her long rival who constantly talk trash of her, and someone wih the ability of deep inspection on an individual?s desires, actually sticks up for her and recognise defending her genuine character when Futo tries badmouthing her.
Of these 2 instances, the fact that a gag dialogue is taken with more serious consideration, than an actual genuine character growth moment, shows just how skewed the prioritzation is when people still actually think AoCF somehow negatively impact her character.
(And even in SoPM, most of the new allegations people were slinging at her were also already hotly debated in past threads.Thus, it would abe misrepresentative to conclusively consider SoPM as a definitive black mark on her character

While the question of "is she a presenting herself as a saint but deep down she's feeding her selfishness, or does she feel selfish impulses and still tries to overcome them" is still kind of up in the air, at this point there's really no way of saying for certain.
Yeah, and the issue here is that the notion of such a question that so contradicts canon, can even be entertained seriously, base on evidences that are mostly speculative... already show just how misrepresentative this clique of ?Byakuren interpretations? could be.
Sure, Byakuren is not a perfect saint, nor has she ever claimed to be so... but the issue here is that all the evidences everyone here use to bring-about that fact, is deeply fallacious

EDIT: And yeah like Clarste said.
So many instances of dialogue in AoCF adds a positive implication to her character, and yet it?s the gag dialogue from an exaggerated dream scenario is what people choose to focus on, just goes to show just how skewed the prioritization of ?debunking her characters? are

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:02:05 AM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2018, 03:23:12 AM »
I'm not sure what you're arguing anymore. You said Byakuren isn't 100% pure and perfect, but then when someone said "I finally realized Byakuren isn't 100% pure and perfect" you flipped out at him?

What even is your interpretation of Byakuren anyway?

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
Let's ask this then; what are people alleging? That Byakuren isn't Youkai Jesus? (I'm using that term rather than "perfect, incorruptable, etc etc etc" for brevity's sake). You yourself have already admitted that she's not.

Look at it from my perspective. I'm not focusing on her negative traits and ignoring her positive ones. I'm acknowledging that she HAS negative traits that I hadn't acknowledged before. You've already accepted that she's not youkai jesus, but I hadn't, and now I am. I'm not trying to debunk her character, I'm acknowledging that my interpretation of her character (as a Youkai Jesus) was wrong, and that your interpretation (as a flawed, but still possibly good, individual) is right.

You seem more upset by the fact that it was AoCF that got me to say "she's not perfect" than the fact that I'm saying "she's not perfect". You seem to think that everyone suddenly wants to call Byakuren a witch, when in fact most of us have only been saying she's not an angel.

Sure, Byakuren is not a perfect saint, nor has she ever claimed to be so... but the issue here is that all the evidences everyone here use to bring-about that fact, is deeply fallacious
While I hate to use this as an argument as it feels kind of cheap, I have to say. Even if in hindsight we can see "oh, Byakuren never really tried to present herself that way", she kind of was set up that way during her introduction. As was pointed out, "Youkai Jesus" was taken pretty seriously pre-SoPM. It didn't become a meme until ZUN made it obvious that she wasn't that way. A lot of people, myself included, really did think she was a perfect saint for a loooong time. The reason I hate to say this is because... "if you weren't around back then, it makes sense you wouldn't know that" sounds a bit derogatory.

It's kind of like the whole Nitori thing. Pre HM, fans treated her as the super shy and cutesy type, because her MoF debut was misinterpreted that way, and the only contradiction we had was Akyuu calling her a bad person. However, after HM and the mangas made her very clearly not that kind of person, everyone laughed at themselves for thinking that way in the first place. Likewise, Byakuren was heavily misinterpreted as a "perfect saint youkai jesus" type character for a long time, and it's only in hindsight after lots of additional works that we can see the fandom misinterpreted her. For some of us it just took longer than others.

As for Cyberangel, again, you're taking things very out of context. Byakuren wasn't a perfect saint 1000 years ago. She still isn't a perfect saint. Nobody's "judging" her or calling her satan because of that. On top of that, even in their first post, they said "whether Byakuren's still feeding her selfish side or trying to overcome it, the fact that she hides that side of her seems a bit hypocritical".

But even if you weren't taking things out of context, there's no reason to get so upset at me or kilga or half the people here about it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:26:10 AM by TresserT »

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2018, 03:27:58 AM »
It's kind of like the whole Nitori thing. Pre HM, fans treated her as the super shy and cutesy type, because her MoF debut was misinterpreted that way, and the only contradiction we had was Akyuu calling her a bad person. However, after HM and the mangas made her very clearly not that kind of person, everyone laughed at themselves for thinking that way in the first place.

For what it's worth, Nitori also acted like a jerk in SA, although maybe it was a little subtle.

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2018, 03:35:07 AM »
For what it's worth, Nitori also acted like a jerk in SA, although maybe it was a little subtle.
Yeah, but until ZUN beat us over the head with it in HM and WaHH, a lot of people still didn't accept it. Subtelty doesn't work hahahaha. SA and SoPM were easy to find excuses for.

Likewise, the hints about Byakuren not being Jesus in her debut were practically nonexistent. As we go further along the timeline they become more and more apparent and harder to deny.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2018, 04:20:06 AM »
I'm not sure what you're arguing anymore. You said Byakuren isn't 100% pure and perfect, but then when someone said "I finally realized Byakuren isn't 100% pure and perfect" you flipped out at him?
Yeah, she isn?t pure and perfect because it is within her official character, a practitioning monk who still strive for monk-hood daily. It shouldn?t even be a fact that needs to be debated
But the people here argues that ?she isn?t perfect? because ?she did this and that that can be somewhat interpreted negatively, so I am going to conclusively decide that this is the canon evidence why she is flawed?.
Just because the premise of what you are getting at is correct, that doesn?t mean the path you use to arrive there is guaranteed to be sound

You seem more upset by the fact that it was AoCF that got me to say "she's not perfect" than the fact that I'm saying "she's not perfect". You seem to think that everyone suddenly wants to call Byakuren a witch, when in fact most of us have only been saying she's not an angel.
Yeah, I wouldn?t mind so much if SoPM was the ?mind changing revelation?, since let?s face it, a lot of the allegation in there can certainly be suspicious even when they are not conclusive
But for AoCF, the game that actually positively reinforce her positive traits, is the game that you actually get negative interpretation out of, due to a gag scene, is just completely unjust.
If anything, HM was more defaming to her characters than AoCF ever was, and I wouldn?t even bat an eye if people were to say ?HM is the game that makes me find Byakuren questionable?

While I hate to use this as an argument as it feels kind of cheap, I have to say. Even if in hindsight we can see "oh, Byakuren never really tried to present herself that way", she kind of was set up that way during her introduction. As was pointed out, "Youkai Jesus" was taken pretty seriously pre-SoPM. It didn't become a meme until ZUN made it obvious that she wasn't that way. A lot of people, myself included, really did think she was a perfect saint for a loooong time. The reason I hate to say this is because... "if you weren't around back then, it makes sense you wouldn't know that" sounds a bit derogatory.
I was around back then, and my stance still remains: It?s a meme
She was never set up for more than anything but a striving practitioner monk who is close to sainthood (though depends on which objective definition of Saint, she kinda fits). But even so the fact is that all the ?evidence? people have used to debunk her supposed ?virtues?, is groundless
I don?t have issue with people saying she is flawed, I have issue with the evidences that are used to arrive at that conclusion
And as you are saying, if this is really was the fan interpretaion problem alone, then what?s with the person specifically calling her a hypocrite and lying, when she was never the one making those grand claims?

As for Cyberangel, again, you're taking things very out of context. Byakuren wasn't a perfect saint 1000 years ago. She still isn't a perfect saint. Nobody's "judging" her or calling her satan because of that. On top of that, even in their first post, they said "whether Byakuren's still feeding her selfish side or trying to overcome it, the fact that she hides that side of her seems a bit hypocritical".
Yeah, that?s wrong.
Firstly, the claim of ?Hypocritical? would only be applicable if she claims to be lacking of such flaws, which she never claim so, making the claim entirely flawed by definition
Second, all the evidences for this supposed ?selfish side? of her is either farfetched, or ain?t there in the first place.
It is CANONICALLY stated base on the official ZUN title given to her ?The Nun who overcame 8 Suffering?. Base on the title alone, by definition, this supposed ?selfish side? claim directly contradict a canon source, since part of the definition of overcoming the 8 sufferings, is overcoming desires, personal wants and needs.
This is why I said these claims completely fall apart when paired with Canon material.
Thirdly, for any claim that she could be deeply selfish inside with ulterior motive and is trying to hide it, this once agains contradict with the VERY Canon premise  of her being: and feats
-A being who communicates with Buddhist saint, and receives blessing, by definition, needs to be a wholly virtuous individual
-She can communicates with Buddha saints, and receive their direct aids in form of blessing and summonings in battle, The claim that ?she could be secretly malicious? fals appart under such feats.
-Her virtues hasve also been recognised by fellow gods and saint figure of different religions (Kanako from Touhou 12 ending, and more recently Miko recognising her characters in Miko ending)
All these canon reasons alone cause a lot of allegations regarding her ?purity test? to completely falls apart. Yet it would still indeed be reasonabke to still make the claim that she still has flaws, and is imperfect. Yes, that is  still a reasonable claim since she is still on the practitioner path.
But to use flaw evidences, speculations, and  sheerfalsehood,  that falls apart when analyse against pre*established canon, to prove that point instead, is what I have issue with.

TL;DR:
+She is stiill imperfect and flaw: Yeah, that?s reasonable
-She is so because this evidence here of dubious quality: I take issue with that

But even if you weren't taking things out of context, there's no reason to get so upset at me or kilga or half the people here about it.
Despite the tone, I am no upset. I am merely pointing out the arguments here that are simply wrong.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:10:46 AM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:06 AM »

Now, now, get a cup of coffee and relax, Paz.
Calm down, take your fingers off the keyboard and let others reply to your comments before typing out more.

To be honest, I think you're being too judgmental on the people in this thread.
From their point of few, you're a fan that suddenly came in to defend Byakuren's character because some people in this thread said something bad about her, even though it isn't as severe as what you claimed they said. And that strays from the topic of this popularity poll

Reading through your posts, it comes off like you were pent up with people from 'other' social media(like FB, Tumblr, or 4chan, where shitposting happens 24/7) talking trash about Byakuren and then exploded when you read another comment that skirted on that topic in this thread

Now, I don't blame you for it, but you're directing it to the wrong people
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:45:42 AM by monhan »

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
This is... really getting out of hand.
I just thought that what dream Byakuren said was funny and that's about it.